Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Intimidator 305 OTS Belt Restraints - Why aren't they in more places?

Intimidator 305 OTS Belt Restraints - Why aren't they in more places?

squirrels

Posted:
7/30/12 at
8:33:01 AM

I understand why designers feel like they have to have OTSRs on certain coasters...especially these modern high-intensity coasters with stengel-dives, past-90 first drops, and very high-speed switchbacks.

That being said, it seems like a lot of people complain about the "head-banging" on OTSRs during high-speed transitions.

Why don't more coasters, especially some of these Intamin torture devices, use I305's "strap" design? It allows for the security of an OTSR without any of the head-banging or other hard-foam discomfort.

Maverick is intolerable for a lot of riders, for example...why not use it there?

What about SkyRush? The lapbars keep ratcheting down until they're painfully tight. Why not a belt-style OTSR? A belt would flex enough to allow the rider to feel airtime while still staying below eye-level and thus "out of the way" of the experience.

I don't understand why more coasters haven't embraced the "straps". Is it a maintenance issue of some kind? This seems like a very elegant solution for most of the restraint issues with newer coasters.

User Submitted Picture

* This post was modified at 7/30/12 9:09:16 AM *

Re: Intimidator 305 OTS Belt Restraints - Why aren't they in more places? by drachen drachen Profile at 7/30/12 11:18:29 AM
I-305 isn't the only one. The Zac Spins have these restraints. I also think that moving forward, any new Intamin Looper will have such restraints.

As far as why parks haven't changed to this, well it's a simple cost thing. Intamin certainly isn't going to pay for it. The parks that currently own Intamin's with OTS restraints won't pay for something they feel they don't need. Unless an multiple incidents are reported, ridership numbers dwindle, or new trains are needed, I wouldn't expect any changes for any current Intamin loopers.

Having said that, I think Kingda Ka, Storm Runner, Maverick, and even Fahrenheit would all benefit from a change in restraint.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Intimidator 305 OTS Belt Restraints - Why aren't they in more places? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/30/12 1:03:11 PM
Let's not forget I-305 in its original incarnation:
http://www.rcdb.com/4520.htm?p=26961

I only know the ride experience with those restraints, and I missed the change to the new ones by literally 2 days.

Agreed, tho, as to why anyone anywhere would NOT install these newer "belt" types from the get-go.

Similar as to why the Skyrush station uses the same spot for loading and off-loading the trains.
Literally stupid, and to be fixed later*...at what cost and inconvenience TBD.

*so "we" are told or read about

Mike B.
Re: Intimidator 305 OTS Belt Restraints - Why aren't they in more places? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/30/12 2:43:16 PM
If only Intamin could just subcontract the otsr to B&M. The problem with intamin's otsr is they are very thin and when you make a quick turn side to side, they will 'chop' you. At high speeds it is very painful if you aren't prepared for them. If they were a little thicker or wider around the neck portion, I think it would be a little better.