Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12

Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12

rossrich66 rossrich66 Profile

Posted:
7/30/12 at
12:34:00 AM

So now that I finally posted my long overdue TR's for King's Dominion and Busch Gardens Williamsburg
http://ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/222535
http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/222557),
I can with good conscience post about my trip last Sunday to one of my home parks, Six Flags Magic Mountain.

I moved to LA from SF Bay Area in 2006 and have now been to SFMM three times since then (mind you, I’ve been going to the park since 1977 when I was 10). But it wasn’t until after my trip last Sunday (7-22), that I realized I hadn’t been in five years. That’s a long time considering it’s one of my home parks…and a lot has changed. Let’s examine the evidence:

• Déjà vu …gone!
• Apocalypse has arrived ( I can’t even recall if Psyclone was still there the last time I was there)
• Superman has been reborn as Superman Escape from Krypton
• X (OMG) became X2 (OMG2!)
• Green Lantern has arrived
• Log Jammer gone and something incredible (Full Throttle) is slated to take its place
• Lux Luther Drop of Doom has arrived

So that’s the backdrop of our visit (Mike and I), to what I would call “ground zero” for thrill seeking “freaks and geeks”…(do not mean to offend anyone, because I’m right there with you...Magic Mountain, is pretty much thrill seeker/coaster enthusiast nirvana…).

So even though SFMM is a home park, we drove the 30 miles up to Santa Clarita/Valencia Saturday night and stayed at the local Marriott property (I got 5000 bonus pts. as a Marriott VIP guest which I couldn’t pass up). In any case we planned to be at the park right when it opened at 10am and the first clue that it was going to be an extremely packed and overcrowded day was the fact that the cars were backed up onto Interstate 5 at the Magic Mountain Pkwy off-ramp at 9:45AM! In all the times that I’ve been there over the years that was the first time I had ever seen that…but then again, this was the first time I had ever attempted to go at the height of summer when a brand new attraction has just debuted.

Parked right by Colossus and Goliath, this is always just a beautiful sight. Waiting for the tram, we could see people stuck at the top of Lux Luthor Drop of Doom…I’m sorry that would freak me out with my legs dangling hanging off the side of a tower some 40 stories up…no thanks! Hopped on the tram, made it through the metal detectors and into the front gates (I had purchased half off tickets at my work).

So it’s about 10:15AM and I knew we needed to head straight to X2. Mike had never been on it before (when were here in 2006, it was during the time in which it was closed for an extended period prior to its transformation into X2). Clearly the park was already shaping up to be “madhouse” crowds so Mike suggested we get Fast Passes and we went in. I’ve never purchased them before and wasn’t exactly sure how they work…we quickly read the different descriptions and noticed it was quite a hefty premium and I said, let’s just forget it. So we head up to X2…the line was already 90 minutes long and it’s not even 10:30AM. This does not bode well for the entire day. We looked at each other and said “Fast Pass”.
So here’s where I say, the $150 premium we paid for a Gold Level Fast Pass with the X2 one time reservation for 11:30A was completely worth it. It enabled us to get on every single coaster with minimal to no waits (with the exception of Lux Luthor Drop of Doom…I’ll get to that later). I had already prepared myself to the fact that we were only going to try and get on the coasters I hadn’t been on (Green Lantern, Apocalypse, Superman Escape from Krypton - backwards)…plus favorites X2, Goliath, Tatsu and Revolution). But the little electronic Fast Pass gizmo got us on all that and more with incredible wait times. It truly made for a great day which otherwise would have been miserable. If you are brave enough to go to Magic Mountain at the height of summer and you can afford the Gold Fast Pass premium, it is completely worth it…enough said.

So we had an 11:30AM reservation time at X2 (and it’s the only reservation that you have to be there at that time since it’s not included in the price of the Fast Pass…any other subsequent reservation you make means you can show up at any time after the reservation time has passed.)

So we have about 45 minutes to kill and we head straight to Revolution. This is the only ride we don’t use Fast Pass because you can only have one active reservation at a time (mind you, you can cancel an active reservation at any time which is very handy). But clearly we are not about to cancel our X2 reservation! So we “brave” the 25 minute wait to get on Revolution (the 2nd longest wait of the day). They had two train operations and we opt for a middle car ride. It’s cool how they’ve restored the exterior of the trains to look like they did way back when…but those damn shoulder harnesses…well you know. Despite that, the ride is still a classic and I’d rather have it with those damn ear banging shoulder harnesses than to not have the ride at all. It’s not horrible and if you keep your head pressed against the headrest, you can avoid the head/ear banging. But the ride definitely still has kick and the loop is still great. I was happy to ride it. It’s sentimental for me as I’ve been riding this coaster for much of my life. The first time was back in 1977 when it was all the rage as the first vertical looping coaster and only had individual lap bars with no headrests. I first learned of this coaster in the movie Rollercoaster and I was lucky enough to have my Mom fly my sister and me down to LA from the Bay Area on a whim that very same year and visit Magic Mountain. It’s hard to believe the Revolution was the only big coaster at the park at the time. But it’s still there….

X2 Time! By the time we get off Revolution we are within 10 minutes of our Fast Pass gizmo to start vibrating to tell us we can now head on over to X2. But since X2 is pretty much right across from Revolution we just head on over to the Fast Pass entrance and wait…it buzzes, they scan our Fast Pass, I immediately enter our reservation for Viper (right next to X2) they let us in and we are waiting to board the last car.

Now, I’ve only been on this ride twice before and all I can tell you is that this ride truly makes my palms sweat and makes me nervous. The first drop on this ride is the most insane. Now Mike has never been on this and he doesn’t know what to expect. So it’s the first ride for him and the first ride for me since it became X2.

The trains are these technological marvels which are huge. The “wingspan” on any given car from the left car to the right car (with the track in the middle) is amazing. You wonder how this entire train can actually coast and navigate the twisted track and course the way it does. If you just stop and think about that, you truly begin to understand the technological marvel that X2 truly is (and remember folks…there’s only one other coaster out there like it).

The back car is great because as you climb the lift hill backwards, you see nothing but track and this incredible view of the park. But seriously, I’m nervous about what is about to happen….we crest backwards over the lift and take a small dip and pick up speed before the first drop (folks that is classic Arrow DNA right there). Then your car tips forward and all of a sudden you are plunging straight down 200 feet. And the car that was behind you is now in front of you with the rest of the train. Now, this is only the 3rd time I’m experiencing this, but it is absolutely the most insane, stomach wrenching first drop on any coaster I’ve been on…especially since we are in the back car. Now I never could figure out what exactly happens at the bottom of the first drop (do you flip upside down or what?) because it happens so fast. But the next element is absolutely insane and there’s really no way to describe it unless you’ve been on X2. Anyway, the next 30 to 45 seconds is pretty much a blur…sometimes you're moving forward, sometimes you're moving backwards...sometimes the track is on your left and sometimes it’s on your right…oh yes and you flip, sometimes you see the car and train in front of you and sometimes you only see the track leaving you behind…and yes…you are screaming the whole way!

Mike was blown away and he loved it. X2 is brilliant and it’s too bad there aren’t more of these coasters out there. But on the other hand, it’s so brilliant, perhaps it’s fitting that there are only two.

Next up Viper….It is still incredibly fast and perhaps the best of the Arrow mega-loopers. I hope Six Flags does not remove this sole remaining survivor of Arrow’s mega-looper triumvirate.

Fast Pass got us on Tatsu next…the other insane coaster at Magic Mountain. Again, I’ve only been on Tatsu twice before now. Mike had been on it once and he didn’t like it. It really freaked him out. But here we were, at the top of the mountain and found ourselves once again, screaming on one of the most intense coasters around. Now I’ve never been on the other B&M Superman flyers that get mixed reviews at best. But I’m sure that anyone who has given a “ho hum” review of those rides will be completely blown away by Tatsu. I never describe coasters as frightening, but Tatsu is the one that scares the crap out of me because it feels like I’m going to fly right out of the car around each turn. Tatsu takes negative g’s to a whole new level. And on top of it, the whole ride experience is magnified because the heights of the coaster elements are intensified because the ride sits at the top of the mountain. This time Mike liked it.

Zero wait time on the Arrow suspended classic Ninja also at the top of the mountain. We made this Fast Pass reservation on the fly since Superman had broken down and our reservation we made for it at Tatsu was no good anymore. Superman will have to wait.

So here it is less than two hours after we get into the park and we’ve now ridden four coasters thanks to Fast Pass. We realize this is great because if we hadn’t bought the Fast Pass, at best we would have ridden X2 and only be stuck in a 60 minute line for a second coaster. So this is great.

Next up Apocalypse! Wow, this coaster is amazing (and I knew it would be!) The only other GCI I’ve been on is Roar at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and that is a great coaster. But this GCI darling takes it to a whole new level. Mike had no expectations and not being an enthusiast, was just thinking this was going to be another fun “wood” coaster. Again, he was blown away and I was very happy once again. I’m really looking forward to the new GCI woodie going up at CA Great America… we will definitely be there.

So we’re in the park less than three hours, have ridden five coasters and we are ready for lunch. So we head over to the Mooseburger Lodge, the only remaining full service restaurant at Magic Mountain. We take a nice air conditioned (it was in the 90’s that day), leisurely paced lunch while being entertained by “audio-animatronic” mooses and a very nice “grandpa” waiter named Tom who was totally into making his guests have a great dining experience…this guy should have been working at a Disney park. But you know what?…Good for Six Flags for hiring Tom and elevating our experience. During lunch I reserve our Fast Pass ride time on Goliath…California’s only hyper-coaster.

I was very interested in getting Mike’s reaction to Goliath since he recently fell in love with Apollo’s Chariot a month earlier and had experienced Intimidator 305 on the same trip (although technically a “Giga”). Goliath is a fun coaster. It can’t really be compared to any other hyper coaster in its class because it’s so unique. While it is fast, intense and looks amazing, its major downfall is that it really only has one moment of decent airtime (and I know that is debatable). It really is two separate and distinct rides which makes it unique. But still, it is a great an exhilarating ride in the end and definitely earns its place in the park’s coaster arsenal. Although, not nearly great enough for Mike to fall in love with.

Fast Pass immediately got us on Colossus next. This is another sentimental favorite for me. And we all know that it fell from grace many years ago. But I can tell you that despite it needing a really bad paint job and much needed TLC for the Morgan trains, I was more than pleasantly surprised at how well Colossus was running! They were only running one side and Mike and I were bracing ourselves for a rough ride. But Colossus was running the best it has been in years and it was great. When we got to the second turn around we looked at each other and said…”Wow!” You could see why…throughout the entire ride, re-tracking had been done as evidenced by the shiny new bolts on the track. Kudos for Six Flags for doing this...it clearly made a difference. Again, very happy and Colossus rocked! I was thinking that even if they don’t do the Rocky Mountain treatment and instead refurbish the trains, paint the structure and station, and run both sides….Colossus would be just perfect (through the lens of a coaster enthusiast).

Scream was next….least favorite of any B&M floorless. It’s still fun and my observation is that this ride is extremely tight with pretty much “slam, bam, thank you mam timing” between its elements. This is the only B&M floorless that I can’t memorize its course because of this.

Fast Pass got us onto the next highly anticipated coaster of the day…Green Lantern. This was the only ride we still had to wait a significant amount of time once we were scanned in. Probably close to 30 minutes. Theming was pretty good in the queue…as was the rest of the DC Comics area of the park. This side of the park was definitely looking good. (Mike fresh of his trips to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Kings Dominion is all of a sudden into the aesthetics of theme parks and called this out…while he loves the coaster selection at Magic Mountain, he feels the park needs some TLC…which I agree).

Green Lantern is intense. I would not expect anything less form Intamin. We ended up being on the forward seats. Clearly Mike and I weighed more than whoever was seated in the backwards seat behind us. Because pretty much the whole time were tilted forward with us facing down to the ground. Love the randomness and intensity of the ride. But I was surprised at the pain that my shoulders endured on each “free fall” moment. Here it is a week later and I still have bruises on my shoulders from that ride.

Batman the Ride was next….by now I’ve got B&M invert fatigue…so "meh".

Then onto the classic Gold Rusher….what can I say? Classic Arrow mine train…definitely a little rough around the edges, but afforded a great view of where Full Throttle will rise.

Skipped Riddler’s Revenge because neither one of us wants to get our heads banged which is what we fully expect out of ANY stand-up rollercoaster B&M or not.

Our last ride was Superman Escape from Krypton….after several downtimes and for some reason it was not showing up on our Fast Pass gizmo….we finally were able to reserve a ride time. Both sides are running backwards now. And the ride is infinitely better in its reboot and thrilling as you climb the 400 tower looking straight down at 100 mph…a moment of weightlessness and then plunging back…awesome!

So you ask…what about Drop of Doom? We could have paid another $50 to skip the two hour lines when we got our Fast Pass, but opted out. We decided that if we felt like it, we would stand in line. But in the end we said…naah.. Not going to pay another $50 or wait in line two hours for that. Drop of Doom is going anywhere and we figure we can come back in six months in the off season and do it then.

But all in all, we had a great day at Magic Mountain.

* This post was modified at 7/30/12 2:35:37 AM *

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/30/12 11:29:01 AM
Great TR. I have never been to SFMM. It's a park that has been on my must do list for a very long time. I sounds like the park has a coaster collection that would blow my mind. Titan, which is Goliath's sister coaster, is in my top 10. I love GCI woodies, so I know I would love Apocalypse. I really do like the B&M flyers, and Tatsu is supposed to be the best one. I'm a fan of Arrow mega loopers, so Viper is a must ride. Add a B&M invert and a B&M floorless, and adds up to a great collection. X2 is probably my most anticipated coaster of all, because like you said, there's really nothing like it in the US. Sounds like you had a good time. The Flash Passes sound like the way to go for that park.
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/30/12 11:35:31 AM
Sorry guys. I accidentally double posted.

* This post was modified at 7/30/12 11:39:17 AM *

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/30/12 11:48:57 AM
Retracking on Colossus? I doubt that. The majority of the track is steel I-beam, not the traditional wood layered track. Colossus runs better on hot days, but it's a shadow of its former self.
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by rossrich66 rossrich66 Profile at 7/30/12 12:55:16 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Retracking on Colossus? I doubt that. The majority of the track is steel I-beam, not the traditional wood layered track. Colossus runs better on hot days, but it's a shadow of its former self.

Well maybe "retracking" is the wrong term...but clearly there had been some tune up or track work done as evidenced by the new bolts that could be seen along its entire course. Regardless, can't remember the last time Colossus ran so well. And too your point, perhaps it was because it was hot that day.

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 7/30/12 8:48:02 PM
I'm actually planning on visiting this coming sunday, what time did you guys leave and did the lines ever die down throughout the day?
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by rossrich66 rossrich66 Profile at 7/30/12 11:45:26 PM
ktujon said:

I'm actually planning on visiting this coming sunday, what time did you guys leave and did the lines ever die down throughout the day?

With the Gold level Fast Pass (+ X2 add on) we finished up by 5:30PM...so thirteen coasters in about 7 1/2 half hours (including time-out for lunch). Probably could've been done by 4:30P if Superman had not been "fickle" that day.

Again, if you can afford it...get the Gold Level Fast Pass...totally worth it. If you opt for the Silver level...I'd say you get on half as many rides in the same amount of time.

Finally...no the lines did not get better. They only got worse. By the time we got off Batman in the mid-afternoon the Gold Level Fast Pass reservations would get you a 35 minute wait at best...meaning average wait times for any coaster was over an hour. In the morning, the lines were short enough so that by the time we got off one coaster we could pretty much walk on or wait minimally for the next coaster.

So get there when it opens, buy a Gold level Fast Pass + X2 and/or Drop of Doom add on if you can afford it and you should be golden (assuming the crowds play out the way they did when we went).

Have Fun!

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 7/31/12 9:59:31 AM
the reason why I was asking cuz I was planning on arriving around 3pm and staying til park close, hoping to ride on some of those coasters in the dark but I wonder how dark it will be by 9pm and if the lines will be that bad since its Sunday night
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 7/31/12 12:25:22 PM
Thanks for the TR! I have only been to SFMM once - back in 2004 - so I to am impressed by all the changes!

Revolution...Despite that, the ride is still a classic and I’d rather have it with those damn ear banging shoulder harnesses than to not have the ride at all. It’s not horrible and if you keep your head pressed against the headrest, you can avoid the head/ear banging. But the ride definitely still has kick and the loop is still great. I was happy to ride it. It’s sentimental for me as I’ve been riding this coaster for much of my life.

I absolutely loved Revolution. I never rode it before the OTSRs, and I can only imagine how awesome it was. With over 180 coasters under my belt, I still consider this my favorite steelie.

X2
Now, I’ve only been on this ride twice before and all I can tell you is that this ride truly makes my palms sweat and makes me nervous.
The trains are these technological marvels which are huge. The “wingspan” on any given car from the left car to the right car (with the track in the middle) is amazing. You wonder how this entire train can actually coast and navigate the twisted track and course the way it does. If you just stop and think about that, you truly begin to understand the technological marvel that X2 truly is

X is the most disorienting coaster I have ever been on. It was quite a surprise, and I must say under-rated. You just don't hear many enthusiasts on this board raving about it. It's an amazing ride.

And thank-you for pointing out what a technological feat it is. Those cars are HUGE and HEAVY and COMPLEX. X received so many complaints for down time in its early life, but we forget how technologically advanced it and other coasters are. They're not simply boxes with wheels rolling down a track. X is pure genius.

Next up Viper….It is still incredibly fast and perhaps the best of the Arrow mega-loopers. I hope Six Flags does not remove this sole remaining survivor of Arrow’s mega-looper triumvirate.

Fast? I hated Viper back in 2004. It had trim brakes all over it, and it barely crawled through its inversions. I love Arrow mega-loopers, but Viper was painful and not thrilling at all. Without the trims I'm sure it rocks, but in its current state, I would not mind to see it go.

Fast Pass got us on Tatsu next…the other insane coaster at Magic Mountain. Again, I’ve only been on Tatsu twice before now. Mike had been on it once and he didn’t like it. It really freaked him out. But here we were, at the top of the mountain and found ourselves once again, screaming on one of the most intense coasters around. Now I’ve never been on the other B&M Superman flyers that get mixed reviews at best. But I’m sure that anyone who has given a “ho hum” review of those rides will be completely blown away by Tatsu.

I enjoyed my only SM:UF experience 6 years ago, and while it was not super thrilling, it left me hungry for Tatsu and other B&M flyers. I love the concept and wish we could see more. Glad to hear Tatsu is way more intense than the others.

Zero wait time on the Arrow suspended classic Ninja also at the top of the mountain.

I love NINJA! And most B&M suspendeds. Ninja is probably the best since we lost Eagle Fortress and BBW. Too bad technological advancements prevent us from seeing any more of these great coaster being added to parks.

Next up Apocalypse! Wow, this coaster is amazing (and I knew it would be!) The only other GCI I’ve been on is Roar at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and that is a great coaster. But this GCI darling takes it to a whole new level. Mike had no expectations and not being an enthusiast, was just thinking this was going to be another fun “wood” coaster. Again, he was blown away and I was very happy once again. I’m really looking forward to the new GCI woodie going up at CA Great America… we will definitely be there.

I've only ridden one GCI - Kentucky Rumbler - and thought it was a blast. Anything in the place of Psyclone would be an improvement, though.

Goliath is a fun coaster. It can’t really be compared to any other hyper coaster in its class because it’s so unique. While it is fast, intense and looks amazing, its major downfall is that it really only has one moment of decent airtime (and I know that is debatable). It really is two separate and distinct rides which makes it unique. But still, it is a great an exhilarating ride in the end and definitely earns its place in the park’s coaster arsenal.

Goliath isn't bad, but it's cousin, Titan, here in Texas is a tad better - it has a massive 540 degree upward helix leading into the brake run. Although it's not an airtime machine, I think it deserves a better reputation than it has. Those gray-out forces are unbelievable.

Scream was next….least favorite of any B&M floorless. It’s still fun and my observation is that this ride is extremely tight with pretty much “slam, bam, thank you mam timing” between its elements. This is the only B&M floorless that I can’t memorize its course because of this.

I love the layout. I simply don't like Scream because they squeezed it in over a parking lot with no theming or originality. Why did they add this coaster? It fits in awkwardly into the park's line up. They already had a 7-looper. Did they add it just to compete with CP? I probably won't ride it on my next visit. Bland coaster addition.

Batman the Ride was next….by now I’ve got B&M invert fatigue…so "meh".

I don't think I could ever get Batman fatigue, even after 20 years!

Skipped Riddler’s Revenge because neither one of us wants to get our heads banged which is what we fully expect out of ANY stand-up rollercoaster B&M or not.

I love standups, and I'm sorry you expect to get head-banged on them without trying them. I find most B&Ms to be pretty smooth. Riddler is a great one, too. I guess I'm one of the few stand up fans left.

THanks for the TR! I wish I could get back to SFMM. SO much has changed!

- Pat-O

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by rossrich66 rossrich66 Profile at 7/31/12 9:29:31 PM

I love standups, and I'm sorry you expect to get head-banged on them without trying them. I find most B&Ms to be pretty smooth. Riddler is a great one, too. I guess I'm one of the few stand up fans left.

THanks for the TR! I wish I could get back to SFMM. SO much has changed!

- Pat-O

Glad you liked the TR...should have made it more clear, we've both been on Riddler's Revenge in past visits and experienced some head banging although not as bad as other stand-ups out there. But I can understand why you like Riddler's Revenge because it is certainly on of the best stand up coasters around.

Hope you can make it back to SFMM soon. PS, haven't been to SFOT in years. Absolutely loved Texas Giant when it first opened and before it got rough...looking forward to riding the New Texas Giant. And Shockwave is awesome.

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/1/12 12:43:30 AM
The retracking of the Texas Giant was a needed improvement - and that comes from a guy who grew up with the coaster and loved it as a kid.

Check out my TR of the New Giant:
http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/217983

Shockwave is always fun. I hope to get up to SFoT and ride Mr. Freeze backwards, too.

- Pat-O

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/1/12 10:56:06 AM
Such an enjoyable TR. I saw the length and was like "oh boy", but it was a great read.

I have heard so many good things about SFMM and it's well deserved with how many ride selections they have. Now that I heard a good review of the sit down place there, if I ever make it there, which I should, I will be sure to eat at that place. It's so much easier to eat in the park.

Thanks for really giving a great description of the rides. If I had to put some parks on a list of how bad I want to go to them, it'd look like this.

Cedar Point
SFMM
Canada's Wonderland.

My priority to ride at SFMM would be:

1. X2
2. Goliath
3. Tatsu
4. Apocalypse The Ride
5. Green Lantern

It's crazy how I am jealous of this parks line up, yet my home park is Great Adventure!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by TheCoasterGuy_ at 8/1/12 11:45:44 AM
Great trip report. As a Magic Mountain regular, I can honestly say that your trip report is spot on. You mentioned that the flow of some of the rides was a bit of a blur because of the speed and quickness of the transitions, like X2. You aren't alone. That's why I'm posting ride profiles with blow-by-blow moves of every ride in the park on my blog. Most people have found the X2 profile to be the most intriguing simply because of the uniqueness of the ride. Check it out if you're interested in seeing how the ride actually works.

The Coaster Guy Blog

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by rossrich66 rossrich66 Profile at 8/2/12 12:00:37 AM
mugen828 said:

Such an enjoyable TR. I saw the length and was like "oh boy", but it was a great read.

I have heard so many good things about SFMM and it's well deserved with how many ride selections they have. Now that I heard a good review of the sit down place there, if I ever make it there, which I should, I will be sure to eat at that place. It's so much easier to eat in the park.

Thanks for really giving a great description of the rides. If I had to put some parks on a list of how bad I want to go to them, it'd look like this.

Cedar Point
SFMM
Canada's Wonderland.

My priority to ride at SFMM would be:

1. X2
2. Goliath
3. Tatsu
4. Apocalypse The Ride
5. Green Lantern

It's crazy how I am jealous of this parks line up, yet my home park is Great Adventure!

Its funny, SFGrADV is on my list of must visits...ha! PS, I can understand why Tatsu would be 3rd behind Goliath for you...but trust me Tatsu is amazing (and from what I understand, cannot be compared to other B&M flyers)...that said, it would probably be 2nd on your list. Hope you make it to all your wish list parks!

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by rossrich66 rossrich66 Profile at 8/2/12 12:25:05 AM
TheCoasterGuy_ said:

Great trip report. As a Magic Mountain regular, I can honestly say that your trip report is spot on. You mentioned that the flow of some of the rides was a bit of a blur because of the speed and quickness of the transitions, like X2. You aren't alone. That's why I'm posting ride profiles with blow-by-blow moves of every ride in the park on my blog. Most people have found the X2 profile to be the most intriguing simply because of the uniqueness of the ride. Check it out if you're interested in seeing how the ride actually works.

Wow...thanks for sending the link to your blog...awesome reading!

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by TheCoasterGuy_ at 8/2/12 12:42:48 AM
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by soldier148 at 8/2/12 12:51:58 AM
I need to get back to California! I went once in a high school program in September 2011 all the way from Richmond, VA, but it was a business trip. We did get to meet some Execs for the Disney Corp. though.
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by Ramdare Ramdare Profile at 8/2/12 3:58:33 PM
Just got back from SFMM after being there two days. Sunday the day you were there. We (four of us) got the platnum flashpass, and although expensive it was well worth it. Rode thirty rides in the one day. Awesome. On the second day(monday) only able to get on 15 rides. Love Goliath, Tatsu and Superman. Rode X only once due to line time. I live in SF Bay Area and it always blows my mind how sad Discovery kingdom is compared to MM.
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/2/12 4:11:03 PM
Not all Six Flags parks are equal. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom began as a animal park, not a theme park, so there is going to be a huge difference between the two. There are also restrictive rules on the property where Discovery Kingdom resides that prevents it from building rides of similar size as those found at Magic Mountain.
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by TheCoasterGuy_ at 8/2/12 4:13:58 PM
Ramdare said:

I live in SF Bay Area and it always blows my mind how sad Discovery kingdom is compared to MM.

It must be a matter of perspective. I see things at SFDK when I'm there that I wish SFMM had.

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/2/12 4:29:05 PM
TheCoasterGuy_ said:

Ramdare said:

I live in SF Bay Area and it always blows my mind how sad Discovery kingdom is compared to MM.

It must be a matter of perspective.

Isn't everything?

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain TR: 7-22-12 by chris92se chris92se Profile at 8/6/12 9:47:28 PM
Thanks for the review, it gets me all hyped up to return (likely next summer). I was there July of 2010. I bought a season pass, so my wife and I went for 3.5 days during a week-long stay in the area. My son doesn't like coasters, so when he goes to camp, my wife and I have to ride at least a few.

Personally, I love the rides at SFMM. The overall park theming isn't too good and the overall park operations aren't very smooth compared to say Busch Gardens or Disney. Tatsu and X2 need single rider lines and crew members filling seats. It really gets bogged down.

One thing I never understand is that X2 never seems to make many "lists" or shows about coasters. It is so unique, fun and unexpected. You do a 200 foot drop basically FACE DOWN! I mean, that is something nothing else comes close to and it is completely mind blowing.

I was there right before they reopened Superman (didn't ride that), and no Green Lantern then, but otherwise I rode every ride in the park at the time, most of them numerous times. Apocalypse was called Terminator Salvation at that time.

I bought a mid level Fast Pass on one day and the trick is to show up at the gate right when it opens and run to X2. The wait is usually more like 20-40 minutes if you do that. I didn't want to fork over $30 (my wife and I) for one ride on it. We used the Fast Pass to hit Tatsu, Goliath and Terminator. Most other rides were walk-on or 15 minutes or less wait. The days without fast pass, we hit the "popular" rides in the morning, and filtered over to lesser rides like Ninja, Batman and Colossus in the afternoons.