Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Sea World Orlando 2011-12 [long post]

Sea World Orlando 2011-12 [long post]

Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile

Posted:
7/28/12 at
8:19:18 PM

Both 2011 and 2012 had similar outcomes. There was no real structure other than starting with Manta first, so I'm just going to break things down by the attractions.

Started the day with Manta. In 2011, it was the first time I have gotten my chance to ride it. Everything from the aquariums along the line to the trains were richly themed. Easily it was a great decision to have dual loading bays as it can keep the lines moving at a brisk pace. Starting with the lift, the view of downtown Orlando was a nice site. Then the ride begins with the [literal] breath taking pretzel loop which pulls you on your back. Then there are the 2 rolls before the signature 'splash'. You will get a little wet especially if you sit towards the right side of the train and towards the middle around row 3-4. Finally, the last roll and then the ride ends. Overall, a huge improvement over the Superman Underwhelming Flight ride I had at SFGadv. The aquarium on the non riding side was also lovely.

Kraken, well I enjoyed it, but despite the 7 inversions and the length of the ride and similar aspects as Kumba and Montu, I just can't say I love it as much as Dominator because it doesn't have the same intense force. This year it just didn't feel any more love for Kraken due to how, despite a near empty station and my row being empty, I wasn't allowed a reride and was asked for a wristband. I know this is petty, but this is a stark contrast to its sister park BGT. Sea World's ride line up is pretty limited, if anything you'd think they'd put customer happiness over profits for little instances like that. But that's just me.

Atlantis, this one has a single rider line and I used it to my advantage. Obviously the drawback is you can't pick the group you'd want to avoid. So I get stuck with 7 other ppl, a party of kids that were pretty loud and obnoxious. As for the ride, I think that some portions of the audio doesn't work and they need to fix it. The flume segment was ok. Despite the big drop, I actually didn't get that soaked there. It was the small drop where I got soaked more [i forgot to put my wallet and ipod in a plastic bag to keep it dry, but at the end of the ride I checked both and they were just fine... whew.].

Wild Arctic was as rough as ever. I do wish they update the movie someday. If Sea World got the rights to use MGM's Stargate Atlantis for that ride, I can easily envision it being a decent transition without the need for any major changes. To give you an idea, think something similar to the Star Trek Klingon encounter [that used to be at the Vegas Hilton] where you are in one of the shuttles that's really a motion simulator ride and dodging attacks. For those familiar with that show, the main issue would be how to transition from Antarctica to the Arctic, but I guess as long as the arctic theme is kept, it can work.

The sea lions at the Pacific point section was 'entertaining'. I dunno whether to be humored or saddened by how desperate they 'yelled' for food. I did get to feed some, so that was a neat experience. Dodging the the birds was a challenge as they hover around looking for free fish. The 'trainers' had to swat a few of them away with brooms.

The shows: Shamu One Ocean was pretty good, tune was catchy [did they hire someone from Broadway or Disney?] I honestly liked the interaction with the trainers more from the previous version, but seeing the killer whales do their jumps is always a delight.

Dolphin show was pretty good, but I hated the stadium layout and it didn't help when the morons behind me kept kicking. I eventually got fed up and moved to a different row, but if the rows were further apart, there wouldn't have been an issue.

The pets show, always a joy seeing stuff like cats climbing tall pillars, dogs doing chores or playing innocent.

2011- the penguin encounter was a good place to keep cool during the day and to see the animals.

2012 - they were doing some renovations and tore down the entire building as they are building some new attraction there. On the other hand, the sky tower was free and offered a great bird's eye view of the whole park as well as the surrounding areas. I'm not sure if the Skytower is free because the Penguin encounter is closed or if they finally did away with the extra fee. imo, it just doesn't make sense to add extra fees on top of the already pretty costly admission fares.

Pics from last year
The attractions:

The animals:

* This post was modified at 7/28/12 8:41:15 PM *

Re: Sea World Orlando 2011-12 [long post] by alpengeistno3 at 7/28/12 10:47:57 PM
Nice TR, Phil. I don't know if it was just for the holiday season, but Wild Artic was changed to the Polar Express when I went after Thanksgiving. I felt like it was a hack job since they used scenes from the movie that didn't always line up with the motion of the simulator.

I agree about the reride policy (or lack thereof) on Kraken. Pretty annoying to require an upcharge for rerides when there is no line present.

The Skytower was closed due to high winds when I went, but there was a sign saying it cost $4, so I assume it is still an upcharge.

Overall, I had a much better time at Sea World than I thought I would (I had only planned to ride the 2 coasters and split for my evening flight.) I wouldn't mind going back as long as I can still package it with BGT.

Paul

Re: Sea World Orlando 2011-12 [long post] by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/28/12 11:03:55 PM
Thanks!
Yeah, I think the Polar express thing is now a new tradition for the holidays. From what I've seen on youtube, it is a total hack job. Though considering they've used the same movie (arctic submarine copter) from the day the ride opened, I think it'd be nice they changed the movie. I totally got a good idea planed if the park were able secure rights to something like Stargate atlantis. I forgot which park had it, but there was an SG1 motion simulator ride. So it can't be that hard to make the change, just trying to get the rights to use the brand.

Well, not sure if it was just June, but I'm pretty sure skytower is free. They just haven't removed the signs. I found out about it from the map indicating it was free. Tbh, I think it makes sense given how the penguin building is being rebuilt to house a new attraction.

Yep. Total disappointment about the denied reride. It wasn't crowded and I didn't see anyone around the last 4 rows.

* This post was modified at 7/28/12 11:07:38 PM *

Re: Sea World Orlando 2011-12 [long post] by rossrich66 rossrich66 Profile at 7/31/12 12:11:09 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Kraken, well I enjoyed it, but despite the 7 inversions and the length of the ride and similar aspects as Kumba and Montu, I just can't say I love it as much as Dominator because it doesn't have the same intense force. This year it just didn't feel any more love for Kraken due to how, despite a near empty station and my row being empty, I wasn't allowed a reride and was asked for a wristband. I know this is petty, but this is a stark contrast to its sister park BGT. Sea World's ride line up is pretty limited, if anything you'd think they'd put customer happiness over profits for little instances like that. But that's just me.

Thanks for sharing your multi-year TR's for Sea World and BGT (never been to the latter).

We were at at Sea World first and only time back in Jan 2007. It was a nice park and a "bonus" to the main purpose of the trip (WDW and Universal Orlando/IOA). In fact we spent a few hours there before hopping on our flight back to LA.

Manta was not built yet, but Kraken was great and remains my favorite B&M floorless (close tie to Medusa SFDK). I agree Dominator is the more intense ride, but the vertical first drops on Kraken nudges it (along with Medusa West) ahead of Dominator for me. But don't get me wrong...Dominator is a very close third.

Re: Sea World Orlando 2011-12 [long post] by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/31/12 12:44:20 AM
Thanks for reading!

Yeah, I too missed out on Manta. My past few years was mainly at IOA/universal. At the time Manta was just going up and I wasn't going to plunk down a lot of money for one day just to ride Manta. Now that I have a multiyear pass for both SWO and BGT, I can ride it as much as I want.

I just love Manta and it's given me hope for the 2nd/3rd gen version of B&M's flyers. Tatsu is my big wish list having been on Manta.

Yeah, I guess we all have different views on which floorless is the best. I only rode Medusa/Bizzaro (GAdv) once, so I wish I can get another ride again to better compare it to Kraken and Dominator. For me I think Kraken is pretty good in its own right and a good 2nd.

* This post was modified at 7/31/12 12:56:55 AM *