Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka

Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
7/27/12 at
9:27:02 AM

Fabio Junior?

http://articles.philly.com/2012-07-26/news/32870366_1_roller-coaster-kingda-ka-apollo-s-chariot

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by alpengeistno3 at 7/27/12 1:27:52 PM
Wow, wonder if there will be huge, algae filled nets erected around all the ground level portions of Kingda Ka, too?

Paul

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/27/12 3:54:29 PM
Wow. That's kinda nuts. Hope the kid is ok and the bird didn't die.

Been on it plently of time and never even seen a bird nearby.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/27/12 4:10:17 PM
It said the train was pulling in to the station so it couldn't have been going very fast. It's fledgling season so I wonder if that's what hit him - an adult bird would surely be able to get out of the way if the train was rounding the bend into the station - it slows down dramatically after that bunny hill. I hope the birdie was OK too!

Jen

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by drachen drachen Profile at 7/27/12 10:31:53 PM
In other unfortunate news, a woman died after returning to the station unresponsive on Dominator last week. She suffered a brain aneurysm.

She leaves behind a husband and five kids. What a nightmare for the family and for the park. The ride has since been re-opened. Just tragic.

Woman Dies After Riding Dominator

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/27/12 10:36:16 PM
drachen said:

In other unfortunate news, a woman died after returning to the station unresponsive on Dominator last week. She suffered a brain aneurysm.

She leaves behind a husband and five kids. What a nightmare for the family and for the park. The ride has since been re-opened. Just tragic.

That really sucks. I wonder if she was with her kids - I hope they didn't have to see it actually happen. Those things are usually due to a predisposing condition. She probably never even knew there was anything wrong. So sad. :~(

Jen

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/27/12 11:05:43 PM
Oh No! The bird is apparently dead....

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Boy-Struck-by-Bird-Speaks-Out--164068786.html

Jen

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/27/12 11:25:41 PM
Speaking of that bird, did the goose that hit Fabio die? I hope the kid is ok and that the parents aren't going to sue...

drachen said:

Oh jeez. It seems Dom's been hit with some bad luck this month :( But being the rider had a preexisting condition, I am hopeful the ride will reopen shortly. Terrible about the rider dying of course.

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by alpengeistno3 at 7/27/12 11:42:53 PM
No need to worry about Dominator, Phil. It was open when I went on Tuesday. I would be concerned that the unlimited reride policy could be in jeopardy, especially as the media continues to run with the story.

Paul

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/28/12 12:03:14 AM
True, but then again, didn't you or someone say that KD and the other CF parks prohibit rerides? I think 1 reride is allowed when I was at BGT.

The only place I was allowed to stay for practically as long as I wanted was Tennessee tornado at Dollywood in 2006. We were allowed to stand on the exit side till there was an open seat. That was a big plus because of how long the stairs and path was from the ground. (Not sure if they still allow this and if the ride is more popular because of the additions around the area since I was last there.)

I don't think this was any serious compared to most other fatal attraction news regarding heart issues etc. I can't imagine this will change much at all.

* This post was modified at 7/28/12 12:08:15 AM *

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/28/12 12:25:28 AM
Just watched the news, seems like the kid is ok but has some bruise from the pigeon hitting him. He said he'd still ride KK, but understandably, not the first 3 rows.
So I think it's safe to say, we won't need AC type netting for KK :)
Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/28/12 1:52:55 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

True, but then again, didn't you or someone say that KD and the other CF parks prohibit rerides? I think 1 reride is allowed when I was at BGT.

The only place I was allowed to stay for practically as long as I wanted was Tennessee tornado at Dollywood in 2006. We were allowed to stand on the exit side till there was an open seat. That was a big plus because of how long the stairs and path was from the ground. (Not sure if they still allow this and if the ride is more popular because of the additions around the area since I was last there.)

I don't think this was any serious compared to most other fatal attraction news regarding heart issues etc. I can't imagine this will change much at all.

When I was at BGE earlier this summer for an ACE event, during the ERT they would only allow two rides at at time and after that riders had to get off and walk all the way around and get back in the line, so apparently the Busch parks do have a policy of only two consecutive rides (that is, without getting off and going all the way around and back thru the line again).

But with aneurysms they can burst during pretty much any activity that raises the heart rate, like sports or even sex. My grandfather died of a ruptured aneurysm and he wasn't doing much of anything when it happened. I remember years ago when I lived in CA a woman died of the same type of thing on Goliath at SFMM.

As for the kid with the bird, it's a good thing it wasn't a big bird like a goose; he probably would have been far worse off than fabio due to the speed.

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/28/12 3:14:23 AM
Yeah, I just wonder how people that do those roller coaster marathons (specifically the wood coasters) for some radio sponsored competition can tolerate that abuse again and again like that.

Such deaths like that, as you said, can happen anywhere/time. I don't think it'd be fair to restrict rerides as people should know their limits and risk is unavoidable. All anyone can do is live life to the fullest and enjoy it.

Indeed, the boy is lucky it was a smaller bird. And he says a car alarm caused him to divert his attention, so he didn't get a direct smack to the face.

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/28/12 5:45:33 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Oh jeez. It seems Dom's been hit with some bad luck this month :(

???... What'd I miss?

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/28/12 7:29:34 AM
drachen said:

I found this quote from the article a bit odd:

"Kings Dominion representatives are not releasing any additional details about the current condition of the person transported"

I'm not sure what other details about her condition can be released. The next line refers to her funeral.

Mike

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by alpengeistno3 at 7/28/12 8:18:04 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

The only ride at KD that does not allow rerides is I-305 (and Volcano, Flight of Fear, and Italian Job, but those are different due to the separate unload stations.)

Actually, based on the ones I have been to (Carowinds and Kings Island), the former Paramount parks do allow rerides. (I don't remember being in a situation to get a reride at Kings Island, so I can't speak on that one. My old roommate lives near Valleyfair and he was quite surprised at the liberal reride policy at KD since he said VF is downright nasty about anyone even requesting a reride.

The Busch 2 ride limit rule was made shortly after the NJ G-force regulation came down thanks to Markey's study. It was ludicrous filming that Travel Channel documentary and being forced to walk around after every two rides (I could tell it annoyed the film crew and really annoyed the wedding party in all their dresses and heels.) A simple stretch and walk around the exit platform should have been sufficient in that case.

It is equally silly that the rule also applies to Verbolten, the parks new "family" coaster.

Paul

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/28/12 11:44:33 AM
Oic, thanks for clearing that up ^

beastmaster said:

???... What'd I miss?
I could've sworn reading someone reporting about either some mechanical problems about the trains entering the station or some other reason that caused it to be shut down for some time. Damn my fuzzy memory.

* This post was modified at 7/28/12 11:45:52 AM *

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/28/12 1:56:25 PM
Gotta love the headline writers at the New York Post. From today's paper:

"THRILL-SEEKER FOWL MOUTHED"

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/29/12 12:49:14 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

No need to worry about Dominator, Phil. It was open when I went on Tuesday. I would be concerned that the unlimited reride policy could be in jeopardy, especially as the media continues to run with the story.

Paul

If I would have know you were available Tuesday, I would have invited you to join us at Six Flags America. The problem we have is our plans ate never definite until the last minute; we really look at the weather. Being that I'm home for 21 days straight it gives us a lot of options. Hopefully we can meet up next time.

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/29/12 1:30:49 PM
frontrow said:

If I would have know you were available Tuesday, I would have invited you to join us at Six Flags America. The problem we have is our plans ate never definite until the last minute; we really look at the weather. Being that I'm home for 21 days straight it gives us a lot of options. Hopefully we can meet up next time.

Is August 11th included in those 21 days? Looks like Jen, Paul, and mugen828 will be meeting up at GAdv. I'm hoping to join them. Love to have you, too, Ken.

Mike

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/29/12 1:49:21 PM
beastmaster said:

frontrow said:

Is August 11th included in those 21 days? Looks like Jen, Paul, and mugen828 will be meeting up at GAdv. I'm hoping to join them. Love to have you, too, Ken.

Mike

I second that!

Jen

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/29/12 2:25:16 PM
beastmaster said:

frontrow said:

Mike

I leave for the boat on August 8th. I'm scheduled to return home on August 30th. On either the first or second Sunday in September we are planning to go to Hershey, which is September 2nd or September 9th.

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/29/12 3:21:00 PM
frontrow said:

beastmaster said:

frontrow said:

Mike

I leave for the boat on August 8th. I'm scheduled to return home on August 30th. On either the first or second Sunday in September we are planning to go to Hershey, which is September 2nd or September 9th.

If it's the 9th and you feel like meeting up, let me know. That's the weekend before my birthday, and I always like to go to a park around my birthday, if not actually on it. I'm usually game for Hershey, as it's a favorite of mine. Do you think it'd be exceptionally crowded on the 2nd, as that's the Sunday of Labor Day weekend?

I was thinking of going to Kennywood and Waldameer the weekend before (8-9) or after (15-16) my birthday. But it appears Waldameer closes for the season after Labor Day, and Kennywood offers "limited operations" and early closings on those weekends.

Mike

* This post was modified at 7/29/12 3:25:59 PM *

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/29/12 3:27:04 PM
beastmaster said:

frontrow said:

beastmaster said:

frontrow said:

Mike

If it's the 9th and you feel like meeting up, let me know. That's the weekend before my birthday, and I always like to go to a park around my birthday, if not actually on it. I'm usually game for Hershey, as it's a favorite of mine. Do you think it'd be exceptionally crowded on the 2nd, as that's the Sunday of Labor Day weekend?

Mike

That's true. We were leaning towards the 9th anyway. So the 2nd is out. If the weather is terrible for the 9th, we could do the 16th. If the weather is good the 9th would be ideal.

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by alpengeistno3 at 7/30/12 2:19:05 AM
frontrow said:

Well, even though I was on my way back to MD, I met my old roommate at Kings Dominion, so I wouldn't have made it anyway. If you have any other last minute plans, I still have 2 weeks of summer vacation left :)

Paul

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by squirrels at 7/30/12 8:16:43 AM
You know, I remember when I was at GAdv there was a whole flock of geese grazing under the cobra roll on Medusa.

You obviously can't stop nature, but you'd think they'd be a little more concerned about large birds in such a dangerous location.

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/30/12 3:39:19 PM
squirrels said:

You know, I remember when I was at GAdv there was a whole flock of geese grazing under the cobra roll on Medusa.

You obviously can't stop nature, but you'd think they'd be a little more concerned about large birds in such a dangerous location.

Unless it was when they had babies. When ducks/geese have their young it's when they're molting and they can't fly. But I agree - they should have someone chase them out of there if they had flight since a coaster buzzing by could spook them and cause mayhem.

Jen

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/30/12 5:02:17 PM
beastmaster said:

frontrow said:

beastmaster said:

frontrow said:

Mike

I was thinking of going to Kennywood and Waldameer the weekend before (8-9) or after (15-16) my birthday. But it appears Waldameer closes for the season after Labor Day, and Kennywood offers "limited operations" and early closings on those weekends.

Mike

Mike let me know when you plan on hitting those parks up, I would be more than willing to make it out there with ya. I haven't been to any of those besides Hershey, and haven't visited Hershey this year yet!

Terrible, terrible news about Mrs. King on Dominator. I'll keep her and her family in my thoughts.

(edit), if you guys don't mind, or find me to be a kind individual when we meet soon, I'd go to a park on the 9th or 16th. I leave for Florida on the 21st for a week to 10 days, headed down south for some parks!)

* This post was modified at 7/30/12 5:04:46 PM *

- mugen828
Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/30/12 8:29:43 PM
Well, Kyle, if I was to go, there'd be at least two overnights involved..it ain't a day trip. And, as mentioned above, Waldameer is closed and Kennywood has limited ops and early closings on those two weekends. So I doubt I'll be going. But ya never know. And rest assured..if I do make it to GAdv on the 11th for our mini-URC get-together, I'm sure I will find you to be, as you so delicately put it.."a kind individual."

Mike

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/30/12 8:34:37 PM
beastmaster said:

And rest assured..if I do make it to GAdv on the 11th for our mini-URC get-together, I'm sure I will find you to be, as you so delicately put it.."a kind individual."

Mike

That's if he acknowledges us, LOL! (I'll never let you live that one down Kyle! :~)

Jen

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/30/12 8:41:02 PM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

And rest assured..if I do make it to GAdv on the 11th for our mini-URC get-together, I'm sure I will find you to be, as you so delicately put it.."a kind individual."

Mike

That's if he acknowledges us, LOL! (I'll never let you live that one down Kyle! :~)

Jen

Heh. Yeah, forgot about that. :)

Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/31/12 10:28:27 AM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

Mike

Jen

Haha I'm nice I swear!

- mugen828
Re: Boy Hospitalized After Bird Collision On Kingda Ka by ktujon ktujon Profile at 8/30/12 10:30:11 AM
when I rode kingdaka the other day, on the drop I saw a bird fly below, how rare to see a top down view of a bird flying!