Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Is "coaster count" a big deal for you?

Is "coaster count" a big deal for you?

squirrels

Posted:
7/23/12 at
8:59:42 AM

It never has been for me. I'm all about the thrill, the maximum experience. It seems like a lot of people will go to a park just to be able to add coasters to their "count", but if the coaster doesn't particularly look thrilling/interesting, I won't ride it.

I have been to Cedar Point twice in the last year, but I haven't ridden half of their coasters. (Mean Streak, Gemini, Corkscrew, CCMR, Disaster Transport) There are a lot of coasters at every park I could take or leave in favor of double-rides on some of the ones I find more enjoyable.

Now that isn't to say that there are people out there who would PREFER the rides that I'd overlook. But there's a difference between riding all of the rides because you ENJOY all of the rides and riding them all to say that you've done it.

How many of you REALLY care about "count"? How many theme parks you've been to or how many coasters you've been on?

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/23/12 9:33:00 AM
A number is a number, and I do keep track. But it's not the be-all and end-all, and it's certainly not a competition. I try to ride everything I can if I'm at a park I've not been to before. But if you asked me to tell you what my "milestone" coasters are, I couldn't, except for #300, which was last month. I also don't put a lot of importance into my "count," because it's inaccurate..I only go by what's on coastercounter.com, and my memory, which is not very dependable. In reality, it's probably higher than my current "count." I do not count, as some do, the number of individual rides I've had on a particular coaster, except on a daily visit basis...i.e, I rode Talon twice Saturday.

The only counts that REALLY matter to me are Dracula and the one on Sesame Street.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 7/23/12 9:49:09 AM
Is the count a big deal? Not really. I'm only at 174 and realize that if I want to get to 200 I'm going to need to travel, and being in college for the past three years full time, that hasn't been an option.

I'd like to get to 200 but it's going to have to wait a couple more summers I think.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by drachen drachen Profile at 7/23/12 10:32:47 AM
I track the coasters I ride more than most - but that's simply because I love numbers, and I love sorting the data in different ways.

When it comes to riding the rides, I go to a new park with the idea in mind to ride every roller coaster there at least once, with the exception of kiddie coasters. I'm not interested in those.

I have priority list, and sometimes I'll even make a plan - listing the rides I want to ride in order and how many times I want to ride them. My priority list looks something like this:

1) Wooden Coasters
2) Mega Coasters (200+ feet)
3) Unique steel coasters
4) Steel Clones (Batmen, Supermen...)
5) SLC's
6) Boomerangs
7) Mid-sized Family Steel coasters

If the park has a crowd, I usually don't get past number 4.

Many coaster enthusiasts are obsessed with increasing that number because they think it gives them more clout with fellow enthusiasts. So, they try to ride every kiddie coaster they come across too. I couldn't care less about that stuff, and I find it pretty annoying.

I estimate that I've voluntarily left over 40 coasters un-ridden over the years. Would my count look better if I had ridden those? Absolutely, but it just doesn't matter that much.

In fact, that's why I really don't talk about my count much. I keep it up to date here on my profile page, but that's really it. That's why I have those funny numbers in my signature. They mean something to me, but probably don't mean much to anyone else.

I think a more telling number to indicate your level of fandom would be the number of parks you've been to.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/23/12 10:39:04 AM
I keep track of the number of coasters I've been on because it's fun for me. It just shows me and others, that I have experienced a lot. If the coaster looks unique and seems it could be fun, I would never want to miss it. I like to ride everything, although I would skip some if it's a clone, or if it just looks damn right not fun. I haven't come across a coaster yet though, that I just didn't ride because it wasn't "fun" looking.

I think you might have missed out on some unique rides and maybe will in the future. But you also might get more rides on the best than me. Not sure, depends on the wait in line!! :p

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/23/12 11:18:32 AM
Not at all. In fact I don't bother to count anything. If I had to guess, based on a rough idea of how many parks I've visited over the past six decades and my vague recollection of how many coasters they have or had then I'm sure I'd be over 100 but probably less than 200. I don't even know for sure how many parks I've been to... plus I'd need to add those parks that no longer exist.

Yeah, for me it's all about the thrill and the experience, and the memories.

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/23/12 11:23:35 AM
RobLec said:

and the memories.

If my memory was better, I wouldn't have to count!!

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 7/23/12 2:31:39 PM
squirrels said:

I have been to Cedar Point twice in the last year, but I haven't ridden half of their coasters. (Mean Streak, Gemini, Corkscrew, CCMR, Disaster Transport) There are a lot of coasters at every park I could take or leave in favor of double-rides on some of the ones I find more enjoyable.

I can imagine that anyone would do that (skip the least favorite coasters that you've already ridden before anyway).

I totally agree with Mugen, I count because it's fun, plus it's nice to know which coasters your fellow URCers favor. I've never looked at coaster counting as some kinda condescending bragging contest, or anything like that. I get why some choose not to count, and I'm sure that any negative connotation from coaster counting comes from the 'enthusiasses' that ruin it for those who are humble. Counting is just a matter of preference with nothing in-between, either you're a counter, or you aren't.

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/23/12 7:14:30 PM
I only started counting using coastercounter.com since that was very easy to go through parks and check off the ones I have ridden but I didn't before that site. I only count coasters, not how many times I've ridden something (except when I'm forced to ride El Toro for 72 times straight and bored out of my mind Michael! LOL!).

Jen

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/23/12 7:52:45 PM
GoYanks34 said:

I only started counting using coastercounter.com since that was very easy to go through parks and check off the ones I have ridden but I didn't before that site. I only count coasters, not how many times I've ridden something (except when I'm forced to ride El Toro for 72 times straight and bored out of my mind Michael! LOL!).

Jen

Gimme SOME credit. I've never made you do that, and I wouldn't. And stop with the "Michael" (bleep,) willya? :))

MIKE!!!!!!!!!

* This post was modified at 7/23/12 7:53:22 PM *

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/23/12 7:57:07 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Gimme SOME credit. I've never made you do that, and I wouldn't. And stop with the "Michael" (bleep,) willya? :))

MIKE!!!!!!!!!

LMAO! I was waiting for your response! :~)

Jen

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/23/12 8:04:17 PM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

MIKE!!!!!!!!!

LMAO! I was waiting for your response! :~)

Jen

Well, they say good things come to those who wait. It didn't apply to Dark Knight a couple years back, and now? Well, there's no wait....sooo...

MIKE!!!

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 7/23/12 9:24:32 PM
Counting how many coasters I've been on is not a big deal to me but I do like to keep track of what I've ridden. So far, as of my SFGAm trip last week, I've been on 219.
Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/23/12 9:45:29 PM
Geauga_Dog said:

Counting how many coasters I've been on is not a big deal to me but I do like to keep track of what I've ridden. So far, as of my SFGAm trip last week, I've been on 219.

Same here. I like to keep track of the major coasters I've been on.

To my friends and family who started earlier with riding coasters, I've now surpassed them in not only numbers, but the intensity of rides (KK and I305 to name a few).

I haven't had the chances most of you guys have had on going anywhere in the midwest and west coast of the country so far. But of most of the east coast coasters, I feel I have a fairly good list of great coasters from various parks: SFGAdv, KD, BGT&BGW... Basically, quality over quantity for me.

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/24/12 1:45:15 AM
I do keep count (right now I'm at about 178 coasters; all I need to do is hit a couple of big parks and I'm over 200) but I'm not as fanatical about it as some people are.

I have actually passed on some relatively easy credits (usually having nothing to do with the parks being crowded) simply because that I had heard that the coasters in question were very rough or otherwise not much fun. I passed on the Vekoma looper at SFOG (sorry I don't recall the name off the top of my head, especially with the generic clone names that SF tends to give many of their rides) because I mistook it for an old Arrow looper (would have also skipped had I known it was a Vekoma!) because both my friend and I were hot and tired by the time we got over to that part of the park and we just didn't feel like dealing with a headbanger just to get the credit.

Also passed on Rolling Thunder when I was at SF Great Adv. last fall, the only coaster credit in the park I passed on (other than kiddie coasters, which I generally don't ride unless it is an ACE event or someone I'm with really wants the credit). This was due to the fact that my back was acting up real bad that day in the park and I had heard bad things about that coaster being horribly rough and didn't want to be in more pain than I was already in - I wanted rides that make me forget my aching back, not make it worse!

So there are coasters I will pass on and not take the credit depending on the circumstance, but in general I'll ride all the park's adult coasters and keep track of them.

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by eishinnyc eishinnyc Profile at 7/24/12 4:11:28 AM
beastmaster said:

RobLec said:

and the memories.

If my memory was better, I wouldn't have to count!!

LOL agree

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by ericthewanderer at 7/26/12 12:39:52 PM
For me personally it's both yes and no.Basically I do keep count on coastercounter.com,but I tend to go to smaller,more unique parks(like Waldameer&Conneaut Lake in PA,anything on the Jersey Shore)that don't have large coaster collections.
Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/26/12 2:58:12 PM
Schrecken said:

I do keep count (right now I'm at about 178 coasters; all I need to do is hit a couple of big parks and I'm over 200) but I'm not as fanatical about it as some people are.

I have actually passed on some relatively easy credits (usually having nothing to do with the parks being crowded) simply because that I had heard that the coasters in question were very rough or otherwise not much fun. I passed on the Vekoma looper at SFOG (sorry I don't recall the name off the top of my head, especially with the generic clone names that SF tends to give many of their rides) because I mistook it for an old Arrow looper (would have also skipped had I known it was a Vekoma!) because both my friend and I were hot and tired by the time we got over to that part of the park and we just didn't feel like dealing with a headbanger just to get the credit.

Also passed on Rolling Thunder when I was at SF Great Adv. last fall, the only coaster credit in the park I passed on (other than kiddie coasters, which I generally don't ride unless it is an ACE event or someone I'm with really wants the credit). This was due to the fact that my back was acting up real bad that day in the park and I had heard bad things about that coaster being horribly rough and didn't want to be in more pain than I was already in - I wanted rides that make me forget my aching back, not make it worse!

So there are coasters I will pass on and not take the credit depending on the circumstance, but in general I'll ride all the park's adult coasters and keep track of them.

Rolling thunder isn't too bad (I've rode worse or rougher like Hurler or the CI Cyclone). RT, it's the screeching by the wheels at the turns that are the worst. I'd bring ear muffs or noise canceling headphones on it, lol.

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 7/27/12 1:33:28 AM
I like to count the # of rides for the day.

24 rides divided by $$$$$ Fast Lane = $ to skip a 1 hour line. I find 24 is a good # to know a Fast Lane purchase was worth it. Only a couple bucks to skip a long line, like paying $1 a hole to have a golf cart. Totally worth it.

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by drachen drachen Profile at 7/27/12 8:33:39 AM
ericthewanderer said:

For me personally it's both yes and no.Basically I do keep count on coastercounter.com,but I tend to go to smaller,more unique parks(like Waldameer&Conneaut Lake in PA,anything on the Jersey Shore)that don't have large coaster collections.

I feel the same way. Check this thread out from a looooooong time ago....

Coaster to Park Ratio

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/27/12 8:33:44 AM
I have a notebook that I keep track with. My main objective is to have fun. I usually choose to ride the best coasters multiple times and skip some of the lesser coasters. When I revisit the park, I'll then add those lesser coasters. My kids love to count coasters. They want to ride every coaster once, to get the credit. My daughter is 10 and my son is 12 and they already have 125 coasters. In fact both of them got their 100th coaster on our June trip. They made signs, I took photos, and emailed them to ACE. I was informed that their photos will be printed in ACE News in the August or October issue. So we are now looking forward to it.
Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/27/12 11:00:16 AM
frontrow said:

I have a notebook that I keep track with. My main objective is to have fun. I usually choose to ride the best coasters multiple times and skip some of the lesser coasters. When I revisit the park, I'll then add those lesser coasters. My kids love to count coasters. They want to ride every coaster once, to get the credit. My daughter is 10 and my son is 12 and they already have 125 coasters. In fact both of them got their 100th coaster on our June trip. They made signs, I took photos, and emailed them to ACE. I was informed that their photos will be printed in ACE News in the August or October issue. So we are now looking forward to it.

They are very lucky and brave. It took me in my teens to get over my fear of coasters. There's still a bunch of other coasters at parks I used to go to like Hershey and Dorney park that I've yet to ride and am aching to cross off my list.

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 10/13/12 8:55:40 PM
LOL, I forgot people count how many coasters they ride. I haven't seen that since I last looked on TPR.

To me, it honestly does not matter at all. Just because you rode 300+ roller coasters does not mean that everyone else isn't as much as an "enthusiast" as you are. Some people don't have the money or time to travel to different amusement parks. Coasters are for fun, not compettition. I like how people keep track of how many they rode, but I don't like it when people brag, and go, "I rode like a thousand roller coasters, and you didn't!!!." It honestly depends on the reasoning you keep a "coaster count."

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/14/12 1:43:21 AM
To me coaster counts are as harmless as someone collecting baseball cards, or checking off a bucketlist, I never understood why some have a negative connotation about doing it.

Many times on URC, I read posts about old-timer URCers who are not sure if they have ridden a certain coaster back in the day or not; I don't exactly have a photographic memory, and me loving coasters and all, I like to know what coasters I've ridden. I also like doing TR's, so if it's a certain thing that you forgot about a coaster, just look up your TR.

It's fine if coaster counting isn't your thing, I get that, although I must say; In my six years on URC, I have yet to see a post that reads "Haha, I've been on this particular coaster, and you haven't!" Maybe that's how they roll on some other forums, Just sayin.

* This post was modified at 10/14/12 2:05:12 AM *

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 10/14/12 7:19:36 AM
Coaster or flat ride, I try to ride everything. I get my best value out of the time I have. If I can,
I see shows. I have learned that some rides are a lot better than they seem. I favor some Gerstlauer spinners, most "large park" wild mice, and some family coasters better than most people. All hypers, all B&M's, all GCI's, and all Premier's are ridden first and more than once. Most kiddie coasters are skipped if they are only 10 feet tall. All giant swings, drop towers, sky rides, water flumes, and Ferris wheels are ridden and some tried more than once. Most types of flats that are in a hundred different parks are left out. I have no use for most water rides if I know that I am still going to be wet four hours later.
The bottom line is there are only about 12 steels and 8 woodens that were so bad that they were really just for credit. Some flat rides and shows were more pain than gain, but I don't keep any record of them.

* This post was modified at 10/14/12 7:23:56 AM *

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by skc2000 at 10/14/12 10:48:27 AM
Squirrels does have a very good point.The main thing is to enjoy the ride.For example there are many rides that i have ridden that are not coasters but just as thrilling as a coaster(acrophobia at SFOG comes to mind).But i do ride every coaster at the park just to add it to my count.I do it just so that i can keep count of all the coasters that i have ridden.Part of the enjoyment is also keeping count of the coasters that i have ridden.I have been counting my coasters for the past 23 years since 1989 when my coaster track record was only 13 coasters back then & i have been writing it down since 1992 when my coaster track was only 16 coasters back then(because if i didn,t write it doen i wouldn,t have known how many i have ridden until now).Now at 379 coasters i have been to every six flags, cedar fair, disney & busch park in the usa & canada.

Because of budget problems i haven,t ridden any new coasters for the past 3 years since 2009 but i do have plans to travel & add some new coasters to my track record once i am able to shell out enough money to do it.

skc2000

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by parkbookman parkbookman Profile at 10/15/12 1:10:43 PM
Its something I enjoy doing and makes for a fun family activity, but I am not one of those who will try to talk my way onto a kiddie coaster or count powered coasters just to increase my count. Its also fun to identify those milestone coasters, but fate has made most of my milestones un-notable rides:

100-Iron Dragon (Magnum was 99)
200-some kiddie coaster in England (Big One was 101)
300-No Way out at Thorpe Park
400-the kiddie woodie at Kings Dominion whatever they call it now
500-I initially thought it was Roar at SFDK, then I realized I had not counted Sky Rocket so Woodstock Express at Cal Great America ended up being 500

So while its fun, it does not drive my experience.

Jim

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/15/12 2:36:17 PM
As mentioned earlier, I know my 300th..that was ThighCrush.

I also remembered that my 200th was Top Thrill Dragster.

Those are the only "milestone" coasters I can account for.

Mike

Re: Is "coaster count" a big deal for you? by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 10/16/12 7:08:36 AM
As to what counts as a coaster, if it's on rcdb then it's a coaster (powered - yes; completed circuit or not - yes). If it's got two different tracks then it is two (Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom is two; Racer at Kings Island is two). Whether it got moved or not, whether it got a new name or not; if the ride is the same, it only counts once. (My list did not get any longer after riding Green Lantern at SF Great Adventure because I already rode Chang at SF Kentucky Kingdom; I did not get another credit just because someone turned a train on one side of a wooden around backwards.)
I do care how many I have ridden because I enjoy keeping records. I have missed some because little onces are not worth long lines (I skipped Back at the Barnyard Hayride at Nickelodeon Universe). Because of my height I have been told that I can't ride some (I didn't ride Swamp Thing on two different trips to Wild Adventures). I do have some regrets, but in the end I don't usually fight to get on.
So far I only have two major milestones. I am not 100% sure about the first one, but I am ok with mentioning it. The second is totally accurate. I am only 6 away from the next one. I will try to make it a "big" one. It won't be a kiddie, Batman clone, boomerang, or wild mouse.
100 - Top Thrill Dragster
200 - Arkansas Twister

* This post was modified at 10/16/12 7:12:38 AM *

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.