Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SFGAdv TR 7-18-12

SFGAdv TR 7-18-12

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
7/19/12 at
11:19:03 AM

Got to the park around 9:40 am (I think the earliest I’ve ever gotten there besides when my parents used to make us get there for Safari opening!) and Mike pulled in the parking spot behind me. I said “This is a very bad idea!” meaning it was going to be around 100 degrees out. Didn’t realize it would turn out to be a great idea! Went in and while waiting for rope drop an announcement was made “KK’s opening will be delayed – it will not be opening with the rest of the rides”. UGH! Better than “KK is down for the season”.

A dormant KK once again at opening

Went right to ET and walked on the back row – Holy crap! It was seriously the fastest ride I think I’ve ever had on it. The bull was running quite nicely. Jumped into an empty row in the middle – BORING! - then was able to get into the back row again. That was 3 rides – and enough for me, but naturally, there was no one in our row on return and trying to get Mike out of the back seat on ET is like trying to pry a pit bull’s jaw open once it’s been locked onto something. I was bored and wanted to head to KK since it should be opening soon but I had to suffer through one more ride. :-) Saw KK testing on that one and we headed over there. We walked right up to the platform and waited a few min for a front row and that was a crazy fast launch as well - must be the heat. I wanted another ride – why does he get 4 and I get 1? No fair! And had we left when I wanted we could have had multiple rides without leaving the station. But now there was a wait since people saw it running. About 20 minutes or so and we took a 3rd row seat for the second ride.

Actually got a train on both coasters!

We had to meet Summer over by Medusa at noon so that’s where we headed. We met up and jumped on for a ride. There was no one in the queue. Mike and I sat in the back and she was up front. I know this is repetitious but if they remove this coaster I will be SO upset. Much more so than any other (except The Chiller). It’s part of my Big 4 – the ones I must ride when I go (Medusa, ET, KK and Nitro). It was HOT so we headed over by the Log Flume and took a ride on the Runaway Train on the way (walk on and we each got our own row in the back set of cars). Went to the LF and I have never seen the line that short in all my life! And it was 100 F out. I actually wanted to get wet for once and did.

No line for the Log Flume? CRAZY!

Then headed over to the other side and Mike wanted to ride Sky Screamer. Summer doesn’t like heights so she went on some flats while we waited. It was down when we got on line but I’ve seen that before – has always been a computer glitch and they usually have it up and running in no time. It was pretty funny to see the mechanics checking restraints for the riders (he was laughing while doing it). Again, it’s a nice, relaxing ride but not worth a huge wait. Mike said it was better than the Windseekers but I’ve never rode one so I can’t comment.

The Mechanic checking restraints - how often do you see that?!

Sky Screamer in action

I was getting very hungry but we wanted to eat inside and Granny’s only has chicken. Mike wanted to go on Nitro first so we headed over and here’s the line we were met with.

Nitro's line - not even a person on the stairs!

The platform for Nitro - I couldn't believe my eyes!

The park was literally empty! Got 2 back seat wonderful rides. Mike went on the rapids with a surprisingly super short line and Summer went for another Nitro spin while I took a smoke break. I was starting to not feel so good. I needed food – it was 3:30 and I had only had one of my delectable Mexican pastries earlier.

This is the actual line (or non-line) for the rapids at 3:30 pm on a 100 F day!

We decided to go on Batman and it too was a walk on, last row. After that ride I had to get food. I was feeling pretty sick. On the way over to the Yum Yum palace Mike and Summer took a spin on the new scrambler – I sat that one out as I wanted to die at that point. Finally got some food and I was feeling a bit better when the announcement came across that “due to severe weather in the area some rides are no longer operating for our safety”. Uh-oh. I checked the radar on my phone and it didn’t look good so I decided to leave - it was around 4:30 pm when I got to my car. Mike and Summer stayed so they’ll have to fill in from here.

I beat the storm home but it was thundering and lightning until after 8 pm in my area, which is within a 10 mile radius from Jackson so I was glad I left when I did. I got a pretty bad migraine from the heat and not eating until late so I was pretty sick the rest of the night. Luckily, I feel OK today.

Had a good time – got on all the coasters I wanted to and it was nice to meet Summer and see Mike again. Although it was uncomfortable at times with that heat, in the shade it was tolerable and with no people in the park it was worth the sweat!

Jen

* This post was modified at 7/19/12 12:50:40 PM *

Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/19/12 12:26:41 PM
Great report.

I was really annoyed first thing when I was told to remove my belt at the security gate. Never happened before.

There was one other time when Jen and I got that forceful a launch on KK, so it's something that doesn't happen often, and I have no idea why it does. I actually feared losing my glasses, despite my strap. I had my hands up, but kinda kept them in front of my specs without actually touching them. I decided to forgo wearing them on our second ride. I was simply gonna set them on the rack with our souvenir cups, but Jen (she's so SMART!!!) suggested I put them IN my cup.

Those back seat rides on Toro? Mind-blowingly great. Best I've had this season, and best I've EVER had that early in the day. The Bull is generally pretty sluggish until mid-afternoon, but not on this day.

I expressed my thoughts about SkyScreamer on another thread, but I'll re-iterate here. I liked it much better than Windseeker. I felt freer because of the chains, and it seemed much faster when rotating at the top.

Heading down, I had visions of ending up in the nearby Jersey Shore Medical Center with heat exhaustion and dehydration. But it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. The lack of lines helped, I drank a lot of water and a Cherry Powerade Zero from the Coke place (can't even buy that on the shelves around here..I don't know if it's even sold at the retail level.)...and the fact that none of the three of us was at 100% health-wise enabled us to take it slow and not be running around like the proverbial chickens with their heads cut off.

The first two hills on Nitro felt like there was a bit of jack-hammering, but I smile all the way through that ride every time. I don't even do that on Toro. Toro, is, of course, my favorite ride in the park, but Nitro is the most fun.

They call Deja Vu a "music-themed Scrambler." There's some musical notes decorating the perimeter, and Bohemian Rhapsody played while we rode. Didn't feel as fast as other Scramblers I've been on, but at least there's no restriction on single riders (yet?)..or, at least, it was not enforced. The elephants are not around yet, although the ride's body is there. There's a fence around the area that will be home to the Fender Benders bumper cars, but no construction to speak of. Maybe for Fright Fest?

At the Character Cafe (which will always be the Yum Yum Palace in my twisted mind) I got the children's chicken nugget meal. I wanted to keep my food intake minimal, anticipating stopping at Red Lobster, White Castle, or Friendly's on the way home. For $7.99 you get a little "lunchbox" with the nuggets, applesauce, pudding, and a tiny bag of Welch's fruit snacks. Essentially I paid the money for the nuggets. They were nothing like what you get at McDonalds, Wendys, etc. They were crispy and had a different taste..really, really good. I had a few spoonfuls of the (strawberry) applesauce and the (room-temperature chocolate) pudding, but they were crappy. I did eat the fruit bites. I looked for a child to give the "lunchbox" to. A large African-American family with young children was nearby, so I gave it to the dad, telling him to give it to one of his boys. It was easy to tell how pleasantly surprised he was.

No Blackbeard. I got wet on Congo Rapids (literally no wait AT ALL!) It's a ride I only do every two years or so because of the usual line. The water was too warm to be refreshing, though. The water in the flume was a little cooler.

I ended up leaving just a bit after Jen. Summer and I were going to grab a ride on Toro, but she came in from outside and advised me to leave, as the temperature had dropped, the storm was coming and it had gotten forebodingly dark. The announcement Jen referred to led me to believe that Toro was probably closed, and more storms were to follow. So after saying sayonara to Summer (the person, not the season) and picking up my insulin at First Aid, I split a little before 5. I got to watch the lightning show in the sky, and could feel my car shaking in the high winds. Monmouth County occasionally gets hit with small tornadoes, and the conditions were certainly right. But I ran into only a few sprinkles a little further north. I planned on stopping at a theater in Red Bank to pick up a ticket to see Joe Jackson in September, but I arrived at the theater at 6:03...I didn't bother trying to find a parking space, as the box office closed at 6pm. Finished with a meal at Friendlys, including a cup of clam chowdah, as I was feeling a bit chilly due to the temperature drop combined with my wet clothes.

And it wouldn't be a Gallagher day in the park without SOME sort of physical issue rearing its ugly head. The sunburn I got at Dorney on the 4th was essentially healed, although my left foot was still very painful up until this past weekend..for some reason that got the worst of the sun. But I developed a blister on the sole of the same foot yesterday...so I'll just add that to the list :(

Thanks for reading, thanks to Jen for the initial report and pix, and thanks to Jen and Summer for the company (Jeez, I sound like I'm accepting an Academy Award!!

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/19/12 12:42:23 PM
ET & KK were closed and they were parking the trains on GL. The only coaster that I could see running with people on it when I left the park was S: UF and I thought to myself "that's seems right - it you like that ride you deserve to be struck by lightning!" LOL! I HATE that coaster!

Oh, and I forgot to add that once KK was up it seemed to be operating steadily throughout the day. The gentleman at the first aid station said it ran all day yesterday with no down time so that's definitely some good news!

Jen

* This post was modified at 7/19/12 12:45:18 PM *

Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/19/12 1:05:27 PM
When I stopped at the WaWa outside the park to pick up some Life Savers in case of a sugar drop, something caught my eye, and I bought it for Jen.

Herrs now makes...wait for it...Churro Cinnamon flavored snacks..you know, like cheese curls style.

She hasn't tried them as of my last communication with her. But if she likes them..and that's a BIG "if"...she won't need to go to GAdv anymore and can make Dorney her home park. We all know how special that place is to her.

Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by alpengeistno3 at 7/19/12 1:21:28 PM
Great TR, guys. Sounds like you had a blast, despite the impending weather. They have been predicting storms down here in VA for the last 3 days and nothing yet. I agree that the heat is killer (Tuesday was smoking and Wednesday was the 1st day we decided not to go to BGE). There is supposed to be a storm heading in either today or
Friday, but I've killed the rides so far for the last 3 days, so I might take in some shows if it hits.

Hopefully, we can make that August trip a reality and have half as much luck as you did yesterday.

Paul

Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/19/12 1:28:30 PM
alpengeistno3 said:
Hopefully, we can make that August trip a reality and have half as much luck as you did yesterday.

Paul

Well, Flash Pass lends itself really well to that.

We missed you yesterday, Paul! We were talking about you, though (were your ears burning? Oh right, it was 95+..EVERYTHING was burning!). We were mentioning again how awesomely happy you looked on TV on Apollo.

Mike

* This post was modified at 7/20/12 9:32:38 AM *

Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/20/12 11:26:12 AM
NO WAITS??!?!?!

SON OF A B- lol. I wishhhhhhhhhhhh I was there that day! So glad you got a day with a bunch of walk ons and such. Great TR as always! loved the pics and evidence of no lines! ;)

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/20/12 11:51:20 AM
I 2nd that comment. ^

That is a dream come true to have little to no lines at all. Great TR and pics! I love the shot of both KK and ET trains.

Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/20/12 11:57:00 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

I 2nd that comment. ^

That is a dream come true to have little to no lines at all. Great TR and pics! I love the shot of both KK and ET trains.

I wish I had waited another second before snapping so I could've gotten the KK train on the top hat. Oh well, next time!

On another note for the Gadv weekend August trip: I'm waiting for the final Aug schedule which I will get next week - it looks like I may have Sat 8/10 off (pigs do fly!) so that may be another option. I'll post the dates that I'm available when I get them so we can pick one that everyone (Paul - this means you) can go to.

Jen

Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/20/12 12:02:23 PM
I take it it was a point and shoot pocket cam or cellphone? I dunno for cellphones, but for the pocket cam, I would use the multi burst setting (for me it takes 3 successive pics in a row). So you won't have to worry about the lagging.
=
*damn, I need to hurry up with my pics from BGT.
Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/20/12 12:06:59 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

I take it it was a point and shoot pocket cam or cellphone? I dunno for cellphones, but for the pocket cam, I would use the multi burst setting (for me it takes 3 successive pics in a row). So you won't have to worry about the lagging.
=
*damn, I need to hurry up with my pics from BGT.

Just my cell phone and by the time I hit the button to get the pic off and take another it was too late :~(

Just looked at my phone and there is an action burst setting! Who knew? Not me! Thanks for the info!

Jen

Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/20/12 3:30:55 PM
np! Hope it works out for ya on the next visit. I generally don't use the cellphone because the quality is not as good and I prefer something with a tether on it in case it should slip out of my hands.
Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/21/12 3:11:13 PM
Great TR Jen. One day I'll get out there and meet up with you guys. The photos were awesome, especially the El Toro/ Kinda Ka photo. If some rain is in the forecast, it seems to scare the GP away. They're calling for some rain on Monday in Williamsburg VA, but I believe we are still going to go.
Re: SFGAdv TR 7-18-12 by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 7/21/12 4:13:10 PM
The one and only time I've even been to that park (last fall) it was also practically line-less as well (you wouldn't ever think water rides would be a walk on if it's a very hot day!), but that was due to the fact that the entire day the sky was very ominous looking and it seemed it would pour down rain at any moment. But it never did. The longest line I had was about 20 mins for S:UF (which is worth no more than a short wait).

Nice pics, BTW!