Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker

Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker

Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile

Posted:
7/16/12 at
1:55:50 PM

I wouldn't have been too happy being stuck on this ride in the heat for three hours. That's a potentially dangerous situation, not from the ride, but from dehydration and sun exposure. I'm a little surprised it could not be lowered sooner.

Regardless, there is the typical overreaction in the article.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/windseeker-malfunctions-carowinds-riders-stuck-air/nPs9J/

Windseeker malfunctions; Carowinds riders stuck in air for hours

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Dozens of thrill seekers were suspended hundreds of feet in the air for hours Saturday afternoon when a popular Carowinds ride malfunctioned. The ride is called Windseeker.

At 301 feet, it's the tallest ride ever built at Carowinds.

Carowinds management said a problem with the safety brake caused the ride to stop working around 10 am.

About 25 riders were stranded in the air for almost three hours.... more

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/16/12 2:47:30 PM
Ugh... I never did like that ride. Give me a drop tower anytime! At least no one was hurt. You're right about the dehydration, but then there was this guy they recently found in the desert after four weeks.
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/16/12 5:53:11 PM
Wow, take the rock off me, I didn't know Carowinds had one!
Those things are sprouting up like weeds.

Never rode one, but methinks the Starflyers are more "fun" esp if there is any breeze at all. Something about those skinny chains...!

Mike B.
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by squirrels at 7/16/12 9:01:05 PM
That thing is a long way up. You'd think they'd have a way to lower it in an emergency.

It might be dangerous for elderly/infirm people, but most people would just be mighty miffed.

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/16/12 9:41:29 PM
Well prior to 8 years ago when I watched my then 22-year-old girlfriend collapse from dehydration and sun exposure I might have agreed with you that it is only risky for those who are elderly or ill, but that's just not the case. Three hours in the hot sun can affect those who you least expect it to.

There is a good reason why the park had paramedics and lots of bottled water waiting at the bottom. Someone could have died or become very ill from that exposure, but fortunately no one did.

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by drachen drachen Profile at 7/16/12 10:06:53 PM
Obviously there is a design flaw. E-Stop or loss of power should immediately bring a ride like this back to the ground.

Sun exposure and dehydration are bad enough. Anxiety could have had a much worse result, whether it's a heart attack or physical injury from trying to get out of the restraints.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/16/12 10:08:21 PM
"I'm definitely going to let my son know, so he's aware not to go on that ride anymore," said Shonn Hudson, who gave his 15-year-old son a season pass for his birthday.

"And I would never go on that ride again," he continued.

If you were to boycott every ride that had a mishap might as well stay home and never step foot in a park again.

Jen

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by mucciared at 7/17/12 9:54:39 PM
I think we can expect a malfunction from any type of ride and we would never read about it in the news. A ride that traps guests for three hours is a SERIOUS design flaw that needs to be addressed immediately. The last thing any of us want to see is a serious injury or death due to a ride malfunction.

* This post was modified at 7/17/12 10:00:40 PM *

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by lk2500 at 7/18/12 10:35:17 AM
mucciared said:

I think we can expect a malfunction from any type of ride and we would never read about it in the news. A ride that traps guests for three hours is a SERIOUS design flaw that needs to be addressed immediately. The last thing any of us want to see is a serious injury or death due to a ride malfunction.

I agree, 3 hours is ridiculous, especially for a new ride. Whoever didn't design (and whoever approved, built, etc...) a fail-safe into this is a complete idiot.

Isn't this the 2nd time one of these has stranded riders for 2+ hours?

Edit: Actually this is the 3rd one that has gotten stuck. They should all be shut down until they design in a way to manually lower it in an emergency. What a joke.

http://www.youtuberepeater.com/watch?v=mfQlgmCCiQA&name=Windseeker+Ride+Stuck+For+30+Minutes+Canadas+Wonderland

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/246912/3/Windseeker-strands-Cedar-Point-guests-in-midair?obref=obinsite

* This post was modified at 7/18/12 10:41:51 AM *

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by squirrels at 7/18/12 10:54:28 AM
This is reminiscent of that ferris wheel in Asia that broke down and left people stranded. They now have a manual mechanism for lowering it in an emergency.

You'd think something like that would be common-sense for the Windseeker design. SOMETHING to manually turn the motors to lower the thing. Even if it's just somewhere to fit a giant wrench.

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/18/12 12:45:33 PM
My impression from what I've heard is that a braking mechanism locked the vehicle to the tower, so in that case I'm not sure you could manually lower it.

I like the StarFlyer much better. It seems to be superior to these.

Remember the cars hitting each other on Windseeker at Cedar Point? That manufacturer really screwed that part of the design up.

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/18/12 9:14:54 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

I like the StarFlyer much better. It seems to be superior to these.

I rode SkyScreamer at GAdv today w/ Jen. It got stuck briefly while we waited. The mechanics came, messed with the controls, and did a coupla test runs. When the next cycle of passengers boarded, it was a bit bizarre to see the mechanics checking restraints. I think Jen got a pic of that odd occurence.

This was my second StarFlyer (Luna last month was first) This one's taller, but still 60 feet shorter than the Windseekers. I enjoyed this a helluva lot more than the KD Windseeker. It spun faster, and I felt freer because of the lack of rigidness due to the chains.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 7/18/12 11:47:44 PM
So much for the Windseeker craze. I never understood why so many parks that were ultra-aggressive to bring in those Windseekers, a ride that very sensitive to wind forces. I was expecting maybe one installed, and see how it runs for a while, than go on from there. Is it too early to come up with a sarcastic nickname for them? Windstaller maybe? I've ridden Star Flyer at Magical Midway in ORL, it was a nice ride; It's gives a nice scenic view of the surroundings.

* This post was modified at 7/18/12 11:51:42 PM *

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/19/12 8:40:44 AM
Overbanked said:
So much for the Windseeker craze. I never understood why so many parks that were ultra-aggressive to bring in those Windseekers...

I agree entirely. Personally I do not enjoy riding them. I think CF had to come up with something new for a number of parks that had recently had large coaster installs and just made a deal to get them thru a couple seasons. Also those ppl who complain about a lack of flats or family rides are then satisfied.

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by squirrels at 7/19/12 8:58:13 AM
There's always some value in a "scenic" flat, something that goes up high and lets you see the entire landscape. This is a more exciting alternative to the old observation tower.

I'll agree that it seemed odd to make it a marquee attraction, though.

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by mucciared at 7/20/12 12:54:37 AM
Overbanked said:

Is it too early to come up with a sarcastic nickname for them? Windstaller maybe?.

LOL love it!

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/20/12 5:26:31 AM
Overbanked said:

Is it too early to come up with a sarcastic nickname for them? Windstaller maybe?

No, not too early. They've been around for ages when compared to ThighCrush.

Mike

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/11/12 10:51:06 PM
Another Windseeker had an issue with riders getting stuck for hours; This time it was at Knotts were riders were stuck for three hours. I'm glad to have experienced both Caroseeker, and Caliseeker without getting stuck for three hours.

www.ocregister.com/entertainment/ride-370811-park-windseeker.html

* This post was modified at 9/11/12 10:52:12 PM *

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/11/12 11:01:28 PM
Overbanked said:

Another Windseeker had an issue with riders getting stuck for hours; This time it was at Knotts were riders were stuck for three hours. I'm glad to have experienced both Caroseeker, and Caliseeker without getting stuck for three hours.

www.ocregister.com/entertainment/ride-370811-park-windseeker.html

I would NOT be happy! When I was just there it was down more than it was running.

Jen

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/12/12 1:10:53 AM
I hope this is just a 1st year teething issue thing. I admit that it isn't a terrible ride as it offers a great view of the park and is a 'relaxing' ride after a long day on the more intense rides at the park. KD's WS worked just fine the whole week I was there last month.
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by glutton glutton Profile at 9/19/12 10:35:52 PM
...and the one at Knott's is stuck again today, sounds like for close to 3 hours already. I'm glad I don't like this type of ride and never go on them anyhow!
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/20/12 3:54:45 AM
glutton said:

...and the one at Knott's is stuck again today, sounds like for close to 3 hours already. I'm glad I don't like this type of ride and never go on them anyhow!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/19/13972376-malfunction-strands-amusement-park-riders-300-feet-in-air-for-hours?lite

They really need a better system in place if this is going to be a common occurrence. 3 hours is ridiculous.

Jen

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/20/12 11:07:37 AM
In the words of John Fogerty..and Yogi Berra...it's deja vu all over again.
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/20/12 11:33:02 PM
GoYanks34 said:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/19/13972376-malfunction-strands-amusement-park-riders-300-feet-in-air-for-hours?lite

They really need a better system in place if this is going to be a common occurrence. 3 hours is ridiculous.

Jen

So how long is CF going to put up with this? Are we looking at CF dismantling them at the end of the year? It can't be good with these 3 hr plus sky high 'prisons' making the news this much.

* This post was modified at 9/20/12 11:39:25 PM *

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/21/12 6:23:46 AM
^^^LOL "sky high prisons". It took the mainstream national media like forever to finally report on these stalling Windseekers, now the video of Knott's Windstaller was shown everywhere like HLN, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC etc.
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/21/12 9:51:17 AM
The Star flyer at SFGAdv breaks down all the time too but it's always a computer glitch. A guy comes by, does something to the control panel and it's up and running within 10 minutes. Once I saw it sort of stall while in the air and it automatically stopped the cycle and lowered to the ground. At least SF got that part right.

Jen

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by skc2000 at 9/21/12 10:35:45 AM
First thing is that i do not have a car & I am completely dependent upon public transportation to get around.Now besides getting dehydrated there is another problem with being stuck up there for 3 hours.It doesn,t happen too often but sometimes i am at the park & i head to the airport directly from the park & what if while i am stuck up there for 3 hours i miss my flight?
Also another thing.Since i do not have a car & i am dependent upon public transportation to get around & if while i am stuck up there for 3 hours i miss the last bus to wherever i am going but then i can always call a taxi the only thing is that taxi,s are usually pretty expensive & this is on top of getting dehydrated.The park really needs to do something to get that thing lowered quicker than 3 hours.

skc2000

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/21/12 10:45:30 AM
glutton said:
I'm glad I don't like this type of ride and never go on them anyhow!

I rode KI's at the end of the season the first year it was put in and hated it.
Now I consider myself lucky. Gimme Drop Zone any day.

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/21/12 10:59:04 AM
RobLec said:

And twice on Sunday! I LOVE that drop tower! :~)

Jen

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/21/12 11:06:32 AM
Overbanked said:

^^^LOL "sky high prisons". It took the mainstream national media like forever to finally report on these stalling Windseekers, now the video of Knott's Windstaller was shown everywhere like HLN, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC etc.
:)

Yeah, it's sad that the family ride has more risks than the scariest coaster in the park. I had no issues in my week down at KD, but I too join the rest of you folks in preferring drop tower over those 'windjammers'.

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/21/12 11:10:16 AM
GoYanks34 said:

RobLec said:

Jen

Only twice? Slow day, huh? :)

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/21/12 11:13:01 AM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

RobLec said:

Jen

Only twice? Slow day, huh? :)

LOL! When I was there that was seriously one of the hardest times I ever had walking away from a ride. I couldn't stop - it was like crack for "wee" addicts like myself!

Jen

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/21/12 4:55:26 PM
Yup, it'll put a permanent grin on your face for sure.
I love DZ/DT so much I even have the video... well,
okay maybe that's because I was actually in the video.
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Stredain Stredain Profile at 9/21/12 11:09:45 PM
Whoa.. I read that and immediately thought, Oh god, thats a mess. I am glad they didnt get sick and I hope the park has a better plan in mind to get them down next time.
Stredain
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/24/12 10:44:32 AM
Screamscape reported that Cedar Fair has grounded all of the Windseekers until further notice, obviously because of the stalling problems. Hopefully they will find out what the problem is, they should have plenty of time, with the off season approaching at most CF parks.
Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/24/12 11:18:07 AM
Overbanked said:

Screamscape reported that Cedar Fair has grounded all of the Windseekers until further notice, obviously because of the stalling problems. Hopefully they will find out what the problem is, they should have plenty of time, with the off season approaching at most CF parks.

Hmm. Guess my timing was pretty good, having rode CP's last Sunday. I didn't mention in my TR that I barely fit in THAT, too. Woulda been darned uncomfortable if I was stuck up there.

Mike

Re: Riders Stuck For Hours On Carowinds Windseeker by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 7/30/13 5:07:21 AM
SMH...

www.wbtv.com/story/22951701/officials-ride-stopped-after-senor-engaged-for-about-an-hour-at-carowinds