Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler

Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
7/9/12 at
7:51:33 PM

Another one I'll miss out on...

This was the only source I saw.

http://www.aceonline.org/AceNewsNow/?article=373

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/9/12 8:00:13 PM
You've got to be kidding me! I'm going there next year when I visit my brother in Austin. Figures!

Jen

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by alpengeistno3 at 7/9/12 8:06:42 PM
Two down, two to go. Anyone want to place bets on which giant record breaking mess will be next? SOB or Mean Streak?

Paul

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/9/12 8:09:18 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Two down, two to go. Anyone want to place bets on which giant record breaking mess will be next? SOB or Mean Streak?

Paul

Put me down for SOB!

Was Rattler bad? Then I'm not so bummed....

Jen

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/9/12 8:13:14 PM
This is terrible news. My only visit to Six Flags Fiesta Texas was in 2001. The day I visited SFFT I also squeezed in Sea World that same day. I waited 30 minutes for Rattler and grabbed front seat. The ride was a little rough, but it was tolerable in that front seat. The Rattler is a very unique coaster. The layout is formed around, on top, and through a cliff. If the line was shorter I would have grabbed another front seat ride. This coaster will probably not make anyone's top 10, but the whole ride experience was very unique and memorable. I can remember the entire ride. I was really hoping for The Rocky Mountain Treatment. My main concern is that the ride is so custom designed. How are they going to install a coaster in its place? Superman Kryton Coaster is built in a simular fashion, but not to that unique degree. Superman utilizes the cliff, but not as much as The Rattler. It's just sad to see such an unique coaster go.
Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/9/12 8:14:49 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

I'm drawing a blank on the OTHER one of the "two down." Please enlighten me, Sir.

Mike

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by alpengeistno3 at 7/9/12 8:41:52 PM
beastmaster said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

I'm drawing a blank on the OTHER one of the "two down." Please enlighten me, Sir.

Mike

Hercules broke the record in 1989.

Paul

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/9/12 9:11:43 PM
Oh.

I thought you were putting Rattler with another RECENT removal.

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/9/12 9:34:38 PM
beastmaster said:

Oh.

I thought you were putting Rattler with another RECENT removal.

I was going to say Hercules but I thought that was too long ago to so it's not just you. It's Paul. LOL!

Jen

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by alpengeistno3 at 7/9/12 10:31:18 PM
What is "too long"? The 4 record breaking wooden coasters that are maligned universally by enthusiasts are Hercules, Mean Streak, Rattler, and SOB. (I considered counting Texas Giant, but that one has been fixed as opposed to bulldozed to the ground). I don't know which coaster held the record before Herc, but I don't think any others fall in the category of "glory to goat" like those four.

Paul

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by coastinj coastinj Profile at 7/10/12 12:49:35 AM
Well Im not sure about the true demise about this as Rocky Mountains has stated that a project is in the works at SFFT. I would hope that it's a conversion as well of the rattler, but of course well have to wait on the park to announce it.

As for SOB, I would hope after all has been said and done that Cedar Fair will just scrap the thing and build a cool steel looper in its spot and put some more flat rides back in.

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/10/12 7:33:36 AM
coastinj said:

Well Im not sure about the true demise about this as Rocky Mountains has stated that a project is in the works at SFFT. I would hope that it's a conversion as well of the rattler, but of course well have to wait on the park to announce it.

Yeah, based on other stuff I'm reading, including the park's site, I probably jumped the gun in posting this. Nowhere is the word "removed" being used. I guess it will get the Texas Giant type treatment and be re-named. "Removal" was how I interpreted the ACE story. Sorry..my bad.

Mike

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by Streaker Streaker Profile at 7/10/12 6:24:37 PM
Semantics. It's all about the words chosen in the article and on the parks website. I think (and hope) its just a giant public relations gimmick to create buzz. With that said I am personally hopeful that Rattler will get the Rocky Mountain (hope I got that right) treatment that Texas Giant received, or some other renovation/remodel without totally tearing down the coaster.

I find it difficult to believe that SFFT woud simply tear down Rattler for a few reasons. The coaster was custom designed based on the quarry wall and they even excavated a tunnel through the quarry just for this coaster. Rattler was a record breaker when it first opened thereby being a notable achievement for the park. The original first drop was infamous for injuries and law suits adding more "history" to the coaster. Rattler is and has been the parks only wooden coaster. What's with the August 5th date anyway? Why not run the coaster until the end of the season if you are simply going got tear it down? Besides, if they did tear it down what would they put in it's place?

Looking ahead and speculating about the Rocky Mountain treatment I can't wait to see what will be done with that notorius helix. Maybe they will reprofile the helix by eliminating the undulations and just make it a constant smooth downward sprial. Or maybe they will remove a full circuit and reduce it from 900 degrees to 540 degrees to make it faster. Im just wishing and hoping but have nothing to base this upon beyond my imagination lol

Anywho...back to my point...I hope Rattler is not being demolished but just renovated. A man can dream can't he? lol

LONG LIVE THE RATTLER!
-Streaker-

* This post was modified at 7/10/12 6:27:32 PM *

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by alpengeistno3 at 7/11/12 12:35:44 AM
Wasn't Six Flags very upfront from the beginning about closing Texas Giant for the Rocky Mountain treatment? If Fiesta Texas has the same plan, why all the secrecy?

I think Rattler will be replaced and the plans are for something bigger than an Iron Horse.

Paul

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/11/12 12:16:43 PM
Why release the plans so early?

Rattler is a terrible roller coaster. One of the worst wooden coasters ever. I can't get my friends to ride it when I go to Fiesta Texas.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by LaneVids at 7/11/12 12:37:50 PM
So sad to see this gem leave. It really was a fun ride although it did beat you up a little. I got a chance to ride it back in 2010 and I took some video of it. I'm glad that I did since they are removing it, and now it can be ridden virtually for all of those who never got a chance to ride it.

POV The Rattler

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by alpengeistno3 at 7/11/12 6:55:55 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Why release the plans so early?

Rattler is a terrible roller coaster. One of the worst wooden coasters ever. I can't get my friends to ride it when I go to Fiesta Texas.

I can only assume to allow people to get their last ride. I think Six Flags learned from closing Scream Machine that announcing the removal early, even a "crappy" ride, can boost business.

Paul

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/11/12 8:05:26 PM
I was referring to the future plans for Rattler. I don't mind them pitching the "last ride". I just don't see why the need to be forthcoming about what is coming next like they did with Texas Giant.

I've never understood the love for Rattler. That triple helix never could have been anything great.

* This post was modified at 7/11/12 8:06:18 PM *

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by alpengeistno3 at 7/12/12 1:22:40 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

I was referring to the future plans for Rattler. I don't mind them pitching the "last ride". I just don't see why the need to be forthcoming about what is coming next like they did with Texas Giant.

I can only imagine TG was announced to let everyone know that the Giant would be back. TG has become the identity of SFOT and I think there would have been protests that made the Whizzer situation look like an ice cream gathering.

Does Rattler have the same kind of following at Fiesta Texas? I can't imagine so. That is why I doubt they will use the Rocky Mountain treatment on it.

Paul

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/12/12 12:23:21 PM
While Fiesta Texas is now my closet park I'm not an expert on it, but I get the impression that Rattler has made quite a statement at this park over the years and would argue that it is a signature attraction with a reputation - both good and bad. If I bring up Six Flags, Rattler is frequently mentioned by people around Austin.

We already know that the Rocky Mountain group is doing something at Fiesta Texas. A paper in the northwest quoted the company as saying they have a Spring 2013 projects at Silver Dollar City and Fiesta Texas.

I also believe with the success Six Flags experienced with what they did with Texas Giant they want to replicate that. Why not do it again, but there are only a few coasters Six Flags owns where such a reinvention of the existing makes sense. I can think of three throughout the chain - Rattler, Colossus and maybe Riverside Cyclone.

Rattler is without a doubt a problematic ride and it has served its purpose and no longer delivers a desirable ride experience. It's been more than a decade since Fiesta Texas received a major new roller coaster, so they're overdue (Goliath didn't count) for a major new attractions.

Those reasons - replicating the success of a past ride installation, upgrading a signature ride with a reputation, and the need for a major capital improvement - are all good reasons why they will likely do the same to Rattler as they did to Texas Giant.

It also makes sense considering the recent projects that Rocky Mountain has completed.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/12/12 12:44:59 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

While Fiesta Texas is now my closet park

It's okay, Eric. You can admit it. We don't judge. :)

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas Losing Rattler by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/12/12 12:46:44 PM
My closest park is really Schlitterbahn and I'm not sorry to admit that, but I haven't gone since I moved here.