Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Busch Gardens Questions

Busch Gardens Questions

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
7/9/12 at
2:01:37 PM

It seems that making a trip to Busch Gardens is possible in about 2 weeks. I do have a few questions for Paul and anyone else who frequently visits the park. Is Verbolten running consistently yet? Friends of mine where down there for 2 days a few weeks ago and never got to ride, because it was closed. I really don't want to drive 6 hours and not get to ride it. My last visit was in 2005, so I haven't rode Griffon. Does Griffon have a big boy seat or more forgiving seat belts? I had my first walk of shame on Batman at SF St.Louis this year, I don't want a repeat. Verbolten and Griffon would be the primary goals of the trip; just wanting to ride both. Last question is where can I get coupons to shave some of that $67 admission price? All responses are appreciated.

Re: Busch Gardens Questions by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/9/12 2:24:39 PM
I can't speak to the Verbolten issues. I had no trouble on Griffon and I'm a big guy, but I only got one ride and forget where I sat. AAA sells discount tickets..I forget how much, but there's an office right near the park. I've used their discount twice.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Busch Gardens Questions by leroyk at 7/9/12 3:22:26 PM
Griffon has 2 BigBoy seats per row.
Re: Busch Gardens Questions by alpengeistno3 at 7/9/12 4:44:40 PM
frontrow said:

It seems that making a trip to Busch Gardens is possible in about 2 weeks. I do have a few questions for Paul and anyone else who frequently visits the park. Is Verbolten running consistently yet? Friends of mine where down there for 2 days a few weeks ago and never got to ride, because it was closed. I really don't want to drive 6 hours and not get to ride it. My last visit was in 2005, so I haven't rode Griffon. Does Griffon have a big boy seat or more forgiving seat belts? I had my first walk of shame on Batman at SF St.Louis this year, I don't want a repeat. Verbolten and Griffon would be the primary goals of the trip; just wanting to ride both. Last question is where can I get coupons to shave some of that $67 admission price? All responses are appreciated.

Well, I am not as regular a visitor to BGE as I used to be back in the 90's, but I still try to keep up.

Verbolten has been doing better, lately. I don't think it has had anymore full day shutdowns since the end of June. It's still a crapshoot as to whether it will stay up.

Griffon's seatbelts are comparable to any other OTSR B&M (I have heard the Batmen are shorter due to being made pre-big boy seat, but I have never had a problem with Gradv's) Alpengeist is going to give a problem because the park shortened the belts one notch lower. Even the big boy seat is tight. Train one seemed to have the most room when I was there, but Busch moved the numbers to the unloading side only, so you won't be able to look for it until you are on the train.

Parks and Recreation here in MD has one day tickets for $50. I can send you a link with locations if you are driving through during business hours (the one next to the Redskins stadium is the only one open until 10:00 PM.) If you are a Costco member, they have 7 day, parking included tickets for 62.99. A steal if you are even contemplating a 2nd because you can "hop" to Water Country, too.

Paul

Re: Busch Gardens Questions by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/9/12 6:03:55 PM
Thanks for the responses. I had a feeling that Alpengeist would be a problem, but I've ridden it so many times. A walk of shame on Alpengeist wouldn't be big deal. As long as the kids get to ride it. Griffon and Verbolten are the 2 coasters that are important to me, along with Apollo's Chariot, I love that coaster. Fitting on AP is not an issue, I had a lot of room on Raging Bull last month. If we go, it will only be for a single day. We plan on visiting Six Flags America the next day. As of now it's just an option, nothing definite. My oldest son, my wife and I have been to BGVA before, but the other kids haven't. What it will come down to is how Verbolten is running. I plan on calling the park every couple days to check it's status. The reason we haven't done a family trip to BGVA is due to the high admission prices. Anyway, thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.
Re: Busch Gardens Questions by rajsan04 at 7/14/12 12:58:58 PM
My family and I go to the park frequently, talking maybe 3 times a week (Williamsburg residents), not even a 5 minute drive. The Verbolten was down a few times but for the most part, its up and running smoothly all day long. Twice we witnessed it not working, once we were standing in line for it and was told there was a delay, so we decided to stay in the line, while others left. After about 30 minutes it was up and running again. One other time it was shut down totally but this was back in June. Mach Towers hasn't been working for awhile, I have no idea what is wrong with this ride. Don't be surprised this ride is shut down when you come here. My son is 6 4' 300 lbs and his favorite ride is the Griffin and rides its quite often. Verbolten fits him the best, the sits are nice and big and comfortable, Verbolten is like the VIPS of roller coasters its something else! Very smooth, you can hardly hear it running its so smooth. Verbolten is well worth the trip, especially that free fall drop. I've heard people say "the drop sounds lame" I have been on this ride 6 times already and that drop gets me everytime, you diffently are in "free fall mode", if riders are not aware of that drop before getting on, one could easily have a heart attack, its pitch black and you feel like you fell off the track! If you have any questions feel free to ask me, like I said we live 5 minutes from the park and there almost on a daily basis!
Re: Busch Gardens Questions by rajsan04 at 7/14/12 1:05:46 PM
As far as admissions, I do believe McDonalds has 6 dollar off coupons on their tray papers. I forgot to mention Alphengist, he rode it once but took 3 assistants to get him in and bolted down, after that my son avoids this ride, he had to do the walk of shame on this once and has refused to go back as well as Apollos Chariot. Those are the only 2 rides he has begun to avoid, the others he fits fine on.
Re: Busch Gardens Questions by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/14/12 2:05:24 PM
Thanks for the responses. We haven't decided if we are going to do a Hershey/ Six Flags America trip or a Busch Gardens/ Six Flags America trip. We only have 2 days. The weather will be a factor in our final decision, along with the current status of our targeted coasters. We have about 8 days to make our decision.
Re: Busch Gardens Questions by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/19/12 2:11:45 PM
I know Busch Gardens opens different areas of the park at different times. Last time I visited, Italy was open when the park opened, but Germany didn't open until later. Does anyone know when Griffon opens? Does that area open at 10:00 or does it open later? What time does Germany/ Verbolten open?
Re: Busch Gardens Questions by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 7/19/12 6:10:35 PM
frontrow said:

I know Busch Gardens opens different areas of the park at different times. Last time I visited, Italy was open when the park opened, but Germany didn't open until later. Does anyone know when Griffon opens? Does that area open at 10:00 or does it open later? What time does Germany/ Verbolten open?

According to what is printed on the back of the park map, village opening times are:

England - 9:45

Scotland, Ireland, France, New France - 10:00 (you'll be able to get a few rides on Griffon and Alpengeist early. A lot of people seem to hit up Nessie first thing).

Italy, Festa Italia - 10:30

Germany/Oktoberfest - 11:00 though it mentions that Verbolten opens at 10:30 which will vary.

BGW recently announced that Mach Tower is down indefinitely so that they can fix the problems with the ride.

G-Dog

Re: Busch Gardens Questions by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/19/12 6:37:30 PM
Thanks G Dog. We are 90% sure we will be there on Monday. It sounds like Griffon will be our first stop, then Alpengeist, then Verbolten. Mach Tower is not an issue; my kids don't care for drop towers. This may be a piece of useful information. I called the park today. After being on hold for 15 minutes, I was connected to a Busch Parks center. They could not transfer me directly to the park or give me a phone number directly to the park. Every question I had could not be answered by anyone at that center. It is the most inconvenient system I've seen. You guys at URC have given me tons more information than they can provide. I have never heard of such a screwed up system.
Re: Busch Gardens Questions by alpengeistno3 at 7/20/12 1:54:27 AM
From the Sunday, July 15th map

England 9 AM
Scotland 9:30 AM
Ireland/France/New France, Verbolten/Mach Tower, Italy/Festa Italia 10 AM
Germany/Oktoberfest 10:30 AM

Apparently, Busch prints different times for certain days. What G-dog mentioned sounds like the typical daily operating schedule and the above is probably the weekend schedule.

I will pick up another map Friday to compare (I had one that was destroyed by the log flume Tuesday.)

Paul

Re: Busch Gardens Questions by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/20/12 8:00:53 AM
alpengeistno3 said:
Apparently, Busch prints different times for certain days. Paul

Last I knew, Busch prints a map/schedule that is unique for every operating day.
Meaning the actual day/date is printed on them.
With varied opening times for the lands.
People that don't know that going in (and who would until experiencing it?) can get frustrated thinking that something is wrong when Italy hasn't opened yet (they are held at the rope) while Loch Ness is running, for example.

BTW, those maps, tho large, are among the best as the "weight" of the paper is such that they don't fall apart after numerous foldings/placing in/taking out of/ pockets.

Mike B.
Re: Busch Gardens Questions by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 7/20/12 9:53:10 AM
My map says Monday June 11 - Wednesday June 13, 2012. Either way the times each country opens doesn't seem to vary that much.

I love the map this year and grabbed an extra one to frame at home.

G-Dog

Re: Busch Gardens Questions by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/20/12 10:49:17 AM
When I went last year it was during the week and England opened first but we headed right to Griffon. By the time we got there it was open and I got 3 - 4 rides that were walk-ons. Would've stayed for a few more if my friend didn't want to move on.

Jen

Re: Busch Gardens Questions by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/20/12 11:58:22 AM
When I was there in 2009, I would usually head over to Griffon. I think 3-4 rides without much of a wait is what I got. On one of my visits, Griffon was down for the whole day. Afterwards head to Alpengeist and keep riding till the gates just open to Germany and head strait for DarKastle for at least 1-2 rides.

Tackling the park like that early in the day (especially getting there as the park opens) should be the best way to maximize ride opportunities and minimal waits. I'd have to dig up my old TRs, but I think there was a time that I had some success in riding Griffon later in the day with minimal waits.

* This post was modified at 7/20/12 3:26:20 PM *

Re: Busch Gardens Questions by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/20/12 12:13:34 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

When I was there in 2009, I would usually head over to Griffon. I think 3-4 rides without much of a wait is what I got. On one of my visits, Griffon was down for the whole day. Afterwards head to Alpengeist and keep riding till the gates just open to Germany and head strait for DarKastle for at least 1-2 rides.

Tackling the park like that early in the day (especially getting there as the park opens) should be the best way to maximize ride opportunities and minimal waits. I'd have to dig up my old TRs, but I think there was a time later in the day that I had some success in riding Griffon later in the day with minimal waits.

I did the same thing and had a similar experience. We went on Griffon again a few times before leaving and the wait was only about 10 minutes.

That queue for Griffon is very deceiving - it looks like the line is horrible, spilling out and it's only a 10 - 15 minute wait b/c of the amount of people that fit on that massive train. AC and Nessie's line also moved very quickly. I don't remember waiting for more than 25-30 minutes for anything except the damn sky ride (about 45 min) since I could no longer walk with my horribly sprained, very swollen ankle!

Jen

Re: Busch Gardens Questions by alpengeistno3 at 7/20/12 1:39:01 PM
I didn't go to Busch at opening at all this week, but I am sure the crowd patterns have been altered by the addition of Verbolten. You can probably kill Alpengeist and Griffon in the morning since most people will probably rush toward Verbolten and Apollo and get trapped there until the rest of Germany opens.

Paul

Re: Busch Gardens Questions by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/20/12 3:28:35 PM
Yeah, with VB, the whole plan is flipped now. It's ideal if you have at least 3 days or such to go there to play with the order.