Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight

Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
7/8/12 at
12:59:15 PM

9pm Eastern Time.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by drachen drachen Profile at 7/8/12 2:07:59 PM
...DVR is set. There are actually two episodes tonight. They are preceded by two new waterpark shows.

The only down side is that I've heard this first episode (with Cedar Point) will have a hefty dose of Robb Alvey. He seems like the type that just loves to see/hear himself on camera.

I can't say I have a personal issue with the guy, but I don't feel that he or his club/website are the best representation of the roller coaster enthusiast community.

Either way, I love the Travel Channel/Discovery Channel amusement park specials, and I'm glad to see there are new ones this summer. Is it weird that I actually find myself missing Bert this year...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/8/12 7:34:27 PM
Could they have picked a worse night?! The Yankees/Red Sox game is on at 8 pm and True Blood at 9 pm - I was already torn but thinking I could flip back and forth. If I DVR it I am committed to either TB or the Travel Channel shows - can't watch another channel when taping 2 shows. UGH - you guys are killing me! ;~)

Going to go and check if they are running them again later on *fingers crossed*

Jen

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/8/12 7:38:11 PM
Whew! They are repeating it at midnight. Disaster averted! See, it's not easy being me! LOL!

Jen

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/8/12 11:20:46 PM
Thankfully these eps will be repeating a few times. Next week will have just 1 new ep with 1 rerun from tonite. As for the eps, it's like an updated Ultimate thrill episode or Bert the conqueror only without too much 'over the top' acting and focus on just the coasters. 'Back to the basics.'

Obvious flaws with them are the shows just lumps random coasters together. How does a shuttle coaster beat out Montu? That's a load of bull. They aren't even in the same category other than being inverts. They should've done an all inverted coaster ep, launching ep, etc. I like AC in the other ep, but eh I wasn't expecting it to be the 'winner'.

Just like AFV, you watch for the entertainment, but skip the end because it's fixed (for AFV usually the vids with the kid wins) or the winner is going to make no sense.

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by alpengeistno3 at 7/9/12 12:25:11 AM
Seriously, does anyone really care about the results of the program? Since it was an open internet poll, I'm sure the results were even more skewed by a few zealous voters than an American Idol vote. I doubt you could find as many people who knew Aftershock was at Silverwood as voted for it to win.

The point is, after a pretty long drought, we finally have new coaster-centric programs being produced. And that is great!!

Paul

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 7/9/12 12:30:18 AM
I enjoyed the shows well enough, despite the usual gripes of inaccuracies, over-enthusiasm, and an interesting selection of coasters to feature. Still, it was fun to see some of my favorites, and I've been on 7 of the 8 shown, missing out on Manta. (I've not been on Aftershock at Silverwood, but the versions at SFOG and SFMM are close enough).

I thought it was interesting to see 7 B&Ms, and 1 Vekoma. I'm not sure how you can talk about Gs on a coaster and leave out Intimidator 305, especially when you were just down the road profiling TWO coasters at BGW. I expect we'll see more Intamins, probably in a launch category?

I was also surprised with the "winning" coasters, but I don't give that much credence. Here is where I rank the coasters shown:
#1 - Montu
#11 - Alpengeist
#23 - Sheikra
#29 - Afterburner
#30 - Apollo's Chariot
#34 - Medusa
(#51 - Deja Vu)

The show was worth a watch, and I've set the DVR up for the series. May spend a lot of time correcting and disagreeing, but always a fun discussion.

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/9/12 1:00:59 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

Seriously, does anyone really care about the results of the program? Since it was an open internet poll, I'm sure the results were even more skewed by a few zealous voters than an American Idol vote. I doubt you could find as many people who knew Aftershock was at Silverwood as voted for it to win.

The point is, after a pretty long drought, we finally have new coaster-centric programs being produced. And that is great!!

Paul

Lol, I know, I'm just complaining. But yes, ignoring the voting part, it was an excellent coaster centric show and not used to make ppl watch some random challenge afterwards. I miss those old shows Travel aired about BGT and Sea World. I hope they air them again with new segments the way anything Disney (even the 2 hour Modern marvels episode on history channel had new segments and trivia quotes, so it's almost a new episode) is.

* This post was modified at 7/9/12 1:01:49 AM *

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/9/12 5:30:19 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

That WAS you on Apollo's Chariot, wasn't it? You were shown twice for a second and a half. They also showed a fellow renewing his wedding vows at AC. That was Dan Biggerstaff, who used to post here occasionally as CoAsTeRdAn (if I got his upper/lower case pattern right.) I met him and rode with him on I-305 last year. Nice guy.

The only thing that bothers me about this show are the vocal histrionics of the narrator/announcer. But I guess it goes with the territory. And yes, the groupings are pretty random. A flyer bunched with three traditional inverts? But I've always read nothing but praise for Manta, and it looks like a spectacular ride.

My Ranking (Haven't been on Medusa West, Manta, or Aftershock, and I don't want to substitute another GIB for the latter, because even clones sometimes provide a slightly different experience.)

1. AfterBurn
2. Sheikra
3. Montu
4. Alpengeist
5 Apollo's Chariot

Mike

* This post was modified at 7/9/12 5:35:47 AM *

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by drachen drachen Profile at 7/9/12 10:49:10 AM
Upon review, the Alvey segments didn't bother me at all. His appearances were very brief, though it looks like he'll be in every episode.

I found what he had to say to be relevant and informative, and not at all self-serving - which is the complete opposite of what I expected.

I actually didn't like the shows at all. Afterburn was featured on Bert last season, as have been Shiekra and Montu in the past. Kumba is the best ride there anyway. There were better coasters to feature across the board.

I was done listening to the narrator almost immediately. For some reason, to make a show more "Xtreme" the narrator has to talk like he's trying to fire one out on the toilet.

Like alpengeistno3 said, I am still glad to see some new park shows. But this new one is a little lame for me, compared to some others.

Having said that, the two coaster shows were much better than the horrible waterpark shows that preceded them. Those were a real disappointment.

I am looking forward to next week's coaster show, which will feature wooden coasters. Voyage, El Toro, Thunderhead, and the Beast will all be featured.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/9/12 11:30:53 AM
I don't know Alvey from Adam. I only know what I've read about him and his site, here and elsewhere. There were others with speaking parts on the show who annoyed me a helluva lot more than Robb did. I thought he was effective in what I hope will continue to be a limited role.

I just signed up on travelchannel.com for a reminder about next week's show. WOOD, BABY!!!!!!!! Three of next week's featured coasters are in my top 5, and the other is most assuredly not too far behind.

Mike

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by ray_p ray_p Profile at 7/9/12 11:31:46 AM
drachen said:

I actually didn't like the shows at all.

Nice to see I wasn't the only one!

I was done listening to the narrator almost immediately. For some reason, to make a show more "Xtreme" the narrator has to talk like he's trying to fire one out on the toilet.

The narrator on almost every Travel Channel show makes each show unwatchable. If I heard him say that "this ride will leave you begging for more" one more time, I thought I was going to puke. I also found the overuse of a ripple effect filter on many of the scenes to be ridiculous. Why does it have to look like I am watching footage through a heat wave? And finally, the voting and setup is about as random as the booking on a TNA Impact show. What is the point of all this?

Having said that, the two coaster shows were much better than the horrible waterpark shows that preceded them. Those were a real disappointment.

The waterpark shows (which were indeed "xtreme") were awful mainly because of the people they featured. I do have to say that the waterpark from Austria with the stainless steel drop slide looked quite interesting.

I am looking forward to next week's coaster show, which will feature wooden coasters. Voyage, El Toro, Thunderhead, and the Beast will all be featured.

Where's Ravine Flyer 2? ;) Unfortunately, as bad as the shows were, I'll be watching again next week too. I love a good train wreck!

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/9/12 11:45:08 AM
I only saw the last couple of minutes of the preceding waterpark show, but it was worth it to see Erin and her friend___(?) THEY were certainly worth watching :)
Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by alpengeistno3 at 7/9/12 2:00:47 PM
beastmaster said:

That WAS you on Apollo's Chariot, wasn't it? You were shown twice for a second and a half. They also showed a fellow renewing his wedding vows at AC. That was Dan Biggerstaff, who used to post here occasionally as CoAsTeRdAn (if I got his upper/lower case pattern right.) I met him and rode with him on I-305 last year. Nice guy.

Yep, I was there. Too bad I had to get the kids prepared for the concert as I could have done the Alpengeist segment the day before as well.

beastmaster said:

The only thing that bothers me about this show are the vocal histrionics of the narrator/announcer. But I guess it goes with the territory.

Nothing bothers me more than hearing someone rattle of statistics in an authoritative manner and being completely wrong. (4 vertical loops on Alpengeist?!?!)

beastmaster said:

And yes, the groupings are pretty random. A flyer bunched with three traditional inverts? But I've always read nothing but praise for Manta, and it looks like a spectacular ride.

This week's program really should have been a head to head of Busch Gardens vs Kings Dominion. An Apollo vs I-305, Alpengeist vs Volcano regional throwdown. Oh well, KD does not really like to talk about G-force with regards to I-305, so I wonder if they declined. At least they tried to address the Alpengeist vs Montu debate (and neither won, lol!)

Paul

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/9/12 2:06:39 PM
I told my kids last night, while we were watching, I think that's Paul. Even though we never met, I have seen photos of you. That's pretty cool that you were on TV, riding coasters.
Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by alpengeistno3 at 7/9/12 4:50:01 PM
frontrow said:

I told my kids last night, while we were watching, I think that's Paul. Even though we never met, I have seen photos of you. That's pretty cool that you were on TV, riding coasters.

Thanks. Unlike the Bert the Conqueror shoot on Griffon last year, we actually got to ride this time. The spend so much time getting those cameras exactly right, it really eats into a 5 hour ride session.

It was ridiculous that they actually made us walk around every 2 rides because of that stupid G-Force rule they came up with some years ago. The poor wedding party was dying from having to walk the queue line in their high heels!

Paul

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/15/12 6:14:37 PM
Just a reminder. A new episode airs tonight at 9:00. Should be a good show, it features 4 fantastic wooden coasters.
Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/15/12 6:35:10 PM
frontrow said:

Just a reminder. A new episode airs tonight at 9:00. Should be a good show, it features 4 fantastic wooden coasters.

I set up a reminder from the Travel Channel. No sign of it. Fortunately, I remembered. Thanks for the reminder, Ken.

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/15/12 7:12:39 PM
We seen Paul on Apollo's Chariot last week. Maybe we'll see you on El Toro tonight Mike.
Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/15/12 8:37:22 PM
frontrow said:

We seen Paul on Apollo's Chariot last week. Maybe we'll see you on El Toro tonight Mike.

I don't keep track of the number of rides I've had on a given coaster. But my count on Toro since it opened in '06 is probably in the neighborhood of 600-700 circuits. But I have never, to my knowledge, been filmed. And since I'm not a member of any coaster clubs the chances of me being seen on the show are slim and none...and Slim just left town.

But we all know what coaster will "win"...and it ain't Toro.

Incidentally, I got my reminder about 20 minutes ago.

Mike

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by coasterwife4life at 7/16/12 10:39:44 AM
My girls took a vid of me on a coaster at CP last weekend, in the row ahead of me and my hubby and I saw the cell phone out. I really wish they wouldn't do that!!

I don't know if I'd want to see myself on TV on a coaster!

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/16/12 10:18:56 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

beastmaster said:

Yep, I was there. Too bad I had to get the kids prepared for the concert as I could have done the Alpengeist segment the day before as well.

I just watched the first episode from last week. Paul - you looked like a kid at Christmas! That was awesome! can I have your autograph? :~)

That sucks that you couldn't get filmed on your namesake...

Still have to watch the others but I already don't like the way they are comparing rides. Only counting positive G's? And comparing an inverted to a B & M hyper is like comparing an airplane ride to space exploration. They should have rides of the same type for comparison.

Jen

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/16/12 10:30:19 PM
^ Last night's show was much better...all wood, so the comparisons were valid. Having been on all four featured coasters more than 20X each, I thought the show did a decent job of capturing the feel and excitement of four great ride experiences...and that's not easy to do in a show like this.

Although Voyage was rated the best of the four, my ranking is as follows:

1. El Toro
2. Voyage
3. Beast
4 Thunderhead (only because one has to come in last..I take nothing away from the ride..it's fantastic)

Now if they had only made a few stops in PA...

Mike

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by drachen drachen Profile at 7/16/12 10:49:24 PM
beastmaster said:

Mike

I agree. Phoenix would have been an appropriate inclusion here. All four featured rides are relatively 'new' as far as wooden coasters are concerned. It would have been neat to include an old wooden ride that still rates up there with the big boys.

Having said that, they did have a nice, diverse selection of wooden coasters. Beast is still widely regarded as, not the best, but King of Wooden Coasters.

Voyage is the latest monster ride, that consistently rates as the best in the world.

Thunderhead is arguably the best of the wooden twister world.

And El Toro is so unique in this country, and is also widely regarded as the best.

Layout-wise, the two with the most in common are El Toro and Voyage, but you can't have a show about wooden coasters without either of them.

For one show, they should have had a fifth coaster, it being the Phoenix in this episode.

drachen
Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/17/12 5:35:04 AM
drachen said:

beastmaster said:

Mike

I agree. Phoenix would have been an appropriate inclusion here.

I was thinking Ravine Flyer II and Lightning Racer, but the fact that Phoenix was what you thought of just demonstrates how many truly great rides the Keystone State is home to.

Mike

* This post was modified at 7/17/12 9:26:31 AM *

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/17/12 9:19:11 AM
drachen said:

All four featured rides are relatively 'new' as far as wooden coasters are concerned.

Only if you consider the Beast at 40 years old to be a "new" coaster.

I agree with Mike that RFII would have been a good one to include, but its class of woodie is represented by Voyage. Each of the four wooden coasters is unique in its own way. ET stands alone as the only prefab. Phoenix could be categorized with the Beast as an older traditional woodie, Thunderhead a newly designed twister, Voyage represents wood on a steel structure.

Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by drachen drachen Profile at 7/17/12 10:13:24 AM
RobLec said:

drachen said:

All four featured rides are relatively 'new' as far as wooden coasters are concerned.

Only if you consider the Beast at 40 years old to be a "new" coaster.

I agree with Mike that RFII would have been a good one to include, but its class of woodie is represented by Voyage. Each of the four wooden coasters is unique in its own way. ET stands alone as the only prefab. Phoenix could be categorized with the Beast as an older traditional woodie, Thunderhead a newly designed twister, Voyage represents wood on a steel structure.

If the Beast is 40 years old, then that makes me 39. I'm not there yet...

I think, when compared to Phoenix and others, that Beast is still "newer". My point was just that I think it would have been nice to include an old wooden coaster that still ranks higher than most other rides in almost every ranking.

RFII is no slouch either, but I have it behind Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Legend, and Voyage.

It just suffers from the "Phoenix Syndrome". The ride is fun as hell, but there is nothing "extreme" or in this case "insane" about it to showcase on a television show.

Even for Thunderhead, they had to push that station fly-through, since there isn't much that is "insane" about it.

drachen
Re: Insane Coaster Wars On Travel Channel Tonight by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/17/12 11:32:47 AM
drachen said:
If the Beast is 40 years old, then that makes me 39. I'm not there yet...

Sorry, my mistake... Kings Island is forty, the Beast is 34.