Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point Trip Report - 6/5/12 (Day 2)

Cedar Point Trip Report - 6/5/12 (Day 2)

sarki7 sarki7 Profile

Posted:
7/7/12 at
7:18:10 PM

Cedar Point
Tuesday, June 5th, 2012
Weather - Mid 70s, mostly sunny, windy
Crowds - Light

The extra 60 minutes resort guests get is the best of the special treatment, and Cedar Point's answer to Disney's Extra Magic Hours - although here you might actually notice the place being quieter than usual. Hoping for something closer to ERT, we'd have from 9am to 10am to get in as much as we could of a handful of rides. Our options weren't all that wide - Ocean Motion, the carrousel, Raptor, Wind Seeker, Millennium Force, Iron Dragon, Maverick and Planet Snoopy. Our destination was pretty predictable - start at the back.

Considering our tiny commute, we were able to sleep to a reasonable hour, and head out for the day just before 9am. Correct tickets in hand, we were across the small parking lot and around the corner to the gates in just a minute and we saw a slow trickle of guests scanning into the park. With a few minutes before the top of the hour, we were through the gates and into Magnum's exit courtyard, amongst a small but eager crowd waiting behind a rope.

The national anthem played (remember, this is the real America), the rope was dropped, and the group surged forward and quickly split as we came to the base of Dragster's tower. I was glad to see most of the group head to the left, though I kept in mind that most of the options were in that direction. I can't imagine much of the group headed to the back of the park with us was going to be using this bonus time to hang out in Camp Snoopy.

While the runners took off, a brisk walk gave us a great pace to get past Gemini and into Frontiertown to an awaiting Maverick. The scene was blissfully quiet as we whipped through the empty queue and were into the station just in time to see the sprinters sent off for their first ride. We were onboard with barely a pause, and not some 10 minutes into our day.

I was glad to be getting a ride so recently after sleeping on it, keen to assess it a little more, and also to provide a pick-me-up like no amount of caffeine could. The mix of intensity and invigoration Maverick supplies is a remarkable way to wake up, and I was able to get a little better sense of the ride. I could anticipate pretty much all the maneuvers, and brace appropriately. There's no question it was still wild, and even knowing what's coming doesn't avoid all discomfort, but all the whipping and diving and flipping is unmatched.

Seeing no reason not to re-up while time was still on our side, we headed down the exit, around the queue, and right back into it, finding a still quiet station. After two rides and even less than half our hour gone by, we headed to the other marquee ride of the morning session. It was a wonderfully quiet walk through the Frontier Trail to Millennium Force, where there was a good bit more activity, but still way less than there would be in just about 30 minutes.

Our wait started pretty much at the beginning of the ramp, which was an immediate sign that things were not nearly as tranquil here as they were back at Maverick, but not something any reasonable person dare complain about. It's pretty much a 15 minute wait from that point, and we saw no need to tack on any more waiting for the front. Taking our seats in the back, it was nice to take a bug-free ride, and a guaranteed way to make sure you were still awake.

The options were to stay and double up here too, or follow the crowds and join in on the opening of Dragster, the destination for all early access thrill seekers looking to fill in the trifecta once the park officially opened for business. Perhaps feeling a bit greedy, we stuck around and got another brisk ride on Millennium Force, exiting just as the wave of general public poured into the area.

Now making that trip to Dragster, we were going against the onrush as we headed to the top of the main midway, and then part of it as we made the hard left underneath Corkscrew. From here we were able eye our target thankfully running, though we had no idea what the wait looked like. Working our way past the station and grandstand, the semi-trustworthy wait time sign was posted at 30 minutes, and the few extra queuing sections being used seemed to mirror that.

Trying not to complain too much, we managed through the queue and made it into the station, boarding in just about the estimated time. We were in the forward station, and right as we were slowly sent from the station, the just-launched train was headed back the way it came. My first thought was, "Damn, missed a rollback by one train." My second thought was, "Damn, now we're going to have to wait."

Rollbacks are far from uncommon, and it doesn't typically take too long to reset and get the ride going again, but this was unfortunately not a typical case. I'm not sure if the mechanic's presence is normal, but the interaction between him and the operators did not seem like this was standard procedure. The trains behind us in the station were unloaded, and we were rolled back in ourselves.

After a good 15 minutes sitting on the train back in the station, we too were unloaded. Eventually, the riders that got the rollback were also brought back into the station and joined the queue in front of us. This was obviously not a typical rollback. I was proven right when the train was taken out of service, and glad to see the gates open and riders reloaded right after it was.

It ended up being the better part of an hour all told, and had we been closer to the back of the line, we may have bailed - but we were on the damn thing. We waited the cycle, got our chance to load, and kept an eye on the first train as it climbed the tower and made it over the top right as we were climbing in. I was able to take my seat with a breath of relief, and just a couple minutes later it would be sucked out of me with the launch, climb, and that ridiculous drop.

Despite losing a little bit of time, it had been a busy morning, so we were happy to take a break with an early lunch. Typically we'd have brought or grabbed a bite for a light breakfast, but a cart with fresh fruit was nowhere to be found. Forget something healthy, we just wanted a snack that wasn't deep fried.

Realizing we couldn't fight it, we made the trip back into Frontiertown to the Chick-fil-a I had my eyes on since we got here. After seven years living in Georgia, it at the top of the list of what I missed the most, along with the Braves and thunderstorms. Waffle fries and a 12-piece order of nuggets is all I ever get, and it hit the spot perfectly, thanks of course to copious amounts of Polynesian dipping sauce.

Now that the park was fully inundated, light though as the crowd seemed, it was probably best to work our way through more thoroughly and hit things as we came to them. Just beyond the porch at Chick-fil-a is the Wave Swinger, so we started what would likely be a day full of coasters and non-coasters alike. It's your standard experience, though well-placed right next to Maverick's lagoon.

A bit more methodically, we hit the absolute back of the park, giving the much maligned Mean Streak a shot. I fall somewhere between the typical "Cedar Point craps diamonds and can do no wrong" and "Mean Streak is the devil's minion, TAER IT DOWN." Frankly the park gets a bit too much attention; not that it isn't wonderful (you've been reading, right?) but I find it best to call a spade a spade. Mean Streak is not a great coaster. It's best we all accept that.

I give kudos to the park for its ambition, that's something it does well all the time. Unfortunately, the execution here doesn't quite match the intent. This massive wooden coaster reaches so far, but the ride it gives is barely a shadow of what it could be. It's pretty easy to say the pacing is awkward and the ride is rough, and that the series of trims used to alleviate the latter has much to do with the former. But the disappointment goes much deeper than that.

It was no surprise to see a quiet station, especially with two trains running. Of course I aimed for the front and we ended up in the second row. There was nothing too awful about the roll out of the station and the climb up the lift, though that first part had a rather foreboding screech to it. We took in the view back down the peninsula, and braced ourselves.

The hang over the top was nice and pronounced, and halfway down the drop we felt the trims kill a good bit of our momentum. We were greeted by a couple minutes of bumpy oversized twister action, and were none-too-disappointed when we returned to the station. I shouldn't have expected much considering the less-than-stellar experience I had here when Mean Streak was only in its sixth season. Now that had over two decades of service in the books, we can blame age if we're so inclined. Really, it wasn't so awful, and I can point to a dozen wooden coasters that will rattle you way worse. But as I've alluded to, Mean Streak lacks a proper thrill, and it really just ends up being big letdown. I suppose I wouldn't lament too much if it were gone next time, maybe a certain steel-track makeover could save it yet.

Working from one end of the other was the plan, and Cedar Creek Mine Ride was next along the way. Another quiet station and another two train operation had us on straight away, and we took what was surely another token ride. It offers a fine enough ride, but definitely shows its age and barely makes an attempt at theming. The highlight is the scenic run across the creek, though that is just as easily enjoyed off-ride.

Jumping right back up the coaster food chain, we made our first visit of the day to Gemini. The wait was just outside the station, and we thought it best not to risk things and again headed for the front. There's definitely an Arrow mine train feel to it, but with a lot more going on, even without counting the bonus racing.

Continuing the efficiency, and my obsessive coaster riding, we went across the midway into Camp Snoopy, and found Woodstock Express. The Vekoma junior coaster is really more of a family installation than something just for kids, and you can tell because Megan and I were able to share the still-petite car. I got my token credit, bumped up my tally to 311, and didn't regret it for one second. It wasn't like I was trying to bribe my way onto Jr. Gemini.

Not minding hanging out with the kiddies for a bit longer, we tracked down the elusive Tilt-a-Whirl. Seemingly the same size as your usual fair model, I'm not sure why this gets tucked away here, perhaps capacity would be an issue if it was right on a busy midway. After several struggling attempts on our local installation at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, it was great to get a proper ride - whipping around for almost the entire cycle.

Somehow not feeling too queasy, we headed out of the kids area right at the base of Dragster's tower, and backtracked on the midway just a bit to get to the classic carnival spinner, the Monster. Loading is a bit painful here, but the capacity is good, so we actually caught the next cycle, though it took a few minutes. I can't actually remember ever riding one of these, believe it or not, and I have to imagine the odd vehicles would have stuck in my brain if I had. The lounging position was comfortable, despite the fiberglass car, though whatever spinning luck we had on our previous ride was not in force here.

Still, it was enough disorientation for now, so we bypassed Witch's Wheel, an Enterprise, and got back to coastering with Magnum. Finally getting our first ride here of the day, I was pleased to see the line barely trickling down the stairs out of the station. To mix it up, we went towards the front, and found the ride similarly bumpy though a bit less intense. The one plus I noticed was that you're a bit further along in the turnaround before the brakes take effect, so the banking isn't quite as awkward. But be forewarned, if anything, the bunny hops are even wilder here, so watch your knees.

There wasn't much reason to endure even a modest wait at Dragster; perhaps the morning delay still had us a bit irked, though we'd be back eventually. Instead Corkscrew would fill in, and we were able to queue up for a quiet row towards the front without any wait. Seeing this level of ride as a walk-on is hardly a surprise, but it's still nice to see.

Despite basic execution, I actually had fond memories here for both of my visits, with it being one of the smoother entries among its type. I'm not sure if was me or the ride that age has made more temperamental (probably both), but several moments were rougher than I remember, and there was a good rattle through the picturesque midway double corkscrew. Like a handful of other coasters, I was glad to get on it, but didn't anticipate a return visit.

Just out the exit is the Himalaya, and we timed it well to catch it as it was loading. This abuser of centripetal force did what it's known for, but we felt a little cheated without getting a backwards portion. Some rides are just better at county fairs - though maybe not safer.

Next door at Power Tower, you get to choose exactly what you're in for, and we headed for the Turbo Drop side, seemingly along with everyone else. Thanks to lower capacity, a longer ride time, and a bigger thrill, there's always more of a crowd here than the Space Shot, but both pairs of towers were going, so we were on the ride in just a couple minutes. As we slowly climbed, we took in a terrific view down the peninsula towards the entrance, though I don't think facing any direction would warrant a complaint. There was the anxious pause at the top, and then the gut-wrenching express trip back down.

Up for some spinning again, we hit the Scrambler just past Corkscrew doing its thing over the midway. Plenty of lateral forces here, perfect if you're trying to get close to a lady friend. Just make sure you let her sit on the inside, unless you're a jerk.

We were most of the way to the front, and we took a left turn to hit the last few coasters on the list. Wicked Twister seemed to be running again after being rather quiet the day before. The line came most of the way from the station to the entrance, but it was a straight shot at least. It took a number of cycles to get into the station, though with the usual CP efficiency it was only about 15 minutes.

It's a bit odd to go on a normal version of the Intamin Impulse coaster, as we've gotten to know our modified and oddly-angled version at SF Discovery Kingdom. The double spiral version was a nice change of pace to us, and we took our spin towards the back. The launches give a good jolt, and the twist is plenty disorienting. I think after a few rides on Dragster, Wicked Twister loses some of its luster, though its inverted approach is a good novelty and it's always worth a visit.

Speaking of worth a visit, next door is the stately Giant Wheel. Placed along the water it'll provide a stiff breeze up at the top, but the views in all directions are pretty terrific. You're not quite as high up as the Space Spiral, however there are no grimy windows to deal with. Just hold your camera steady and you'll get some great shots.

Next down this concrete corridor is Troika, another middle-aged spinning carnival attraction. Imagine if a Scrambler utilized some banking. It was actually rather enjoyable, all the whipping of a Scrambler with none of the squishing. With Space Spiral closed, and Disaster Transport somehow displaying a 45 minute wait (though I was skeptical), it seemed a great time to take a load off - we'd gone from back to front without hardly a pause.

One of the more unique dining options is around the corner towards the front gate - the venerable hot dog establishment, Pinks. Still your standard park fare, think Nathan's at Coney Island. It wasn't a healthy snack, but we had a couple of dogs and some onion rings. The greasy bite hit the spot, and we tried not to feel too bad about ourselves.

Right back into the action, we continued in the same direction and took a spin on Ocean Motion, which was probably a smart way to return to rides right after eating. Of course Raptor would be next (sorry, Carousel) but this swinging boat ride was worth the zero minute wait.

The big green scream machine was slightly back up the main midway, and the line was just a shade longer than the day before - at the bottom of the first set of stairs. Again three trains were running, so it was a pretty steady climb up to the station, and we were on in the back in just a few minutes. It was great to get back here for the first time today, and I enjoyed every second.

Still needing to get that final coaster checked off the list, we aimed for Disaster Transport again, though figured we'd give it a few extra minutes to recover from a questionably long wait - by riding Max Air. This was another extreme thrill ride that has been added since my last visit, except it's a model I've been on - Fuji-Q Highland has a similar Giant Frisbee model called Tonde Mia. Knowing what we were in for, we waited a couple cycles and got a terrific ride as the combination of high speed swinging and spinning provides quite the multiplier effect.

It was now or never for Disaster Transport, and though the posted wait time now said 15 minutes, I was skeptical as we found the line just barely in the entrance. Besides knowing the entire attraction takes place indoors, I had no memory of what the queue did; instead what was in my mind was vague reminders that I had, in fact, waited quite a while for this in the past. The steady movement was encouraging, but I had zero sense of what was ahead. After winding through a couple passably but vaguely themed rooms, we were at the bottom of the stairs, and it was a straight shot into the station.

I was surprised that what apparently was a full queue somehow only took 15 minutes, and I was equally confused how it would be physically possible for a line here ever to reach 45 minutes. Either they were running more cars or closing off some of the queue - or someone was just messing with the sign. Regardless, it was nice to only have the small wait, even if it still probably wasn't really worth it.

We got the second row of the 10-passenger bobsled cars, and we were immediately up into the enclosed lift. The lighting was a sad attempt to match classic enclosed attractions like Space Mountain and Maelstrom, it was just strobing carnival lights. On the plus side, they were all working and were in sequence, at least.

The layout is your usual bobsled run, rumbling loudly through turns and spirals. The themeing here is space-aged, as it was in the queue, but it's hard to get a fix exactly on what the story is. The disaster never really materializes, and the transport is way more like sending a bowling ball down a waterslide than anything else. For its quirkiness alone it's worth a ride, and add in the fact that this is its last season, and this is now a must ride - but more on that later.

Being only a bit past official cocktail hour, and having been a busy day thus far, we thought it time to take a proper respite, back at the hotel. There happens to be another park gate along the right side, just past Wicked Twister. On the way to it we passed the new Wind Seeker tower, and thanks to the news reports we'd heard the day before of stranded riders, we weren't surprised to see it getting some mechanical attention. The attendant outside the operating booth said they were trying, but I wasn't too optimistic. And that was ok with me - this ride is really tall, and you're really exposed on it.

For now we headed out of the park and took in the shoreline as we walked the boardwalk between the hotel and the shoreline. Our room was at the far end, and it was a pleasant stroll along the promenade, so long as you don't mind a stiff breeze. Finally I was able to take in the proper front façade, and we passed all the new pools, wings, restaurants, and towers that have been added on over the decades.

Down at the very end, just shy of the water park, we came to our building. I don't know if I opened the wine or plopped on the bed first, but both hit the spot quite nicely. Both the drinks and the load off did their jobs perfectly, and we were recharged for the final few hours of the evening.

What else would we be starting with than one of the best rides with the shortest wait, Magnum. Proximity may have had something to do with it too, but nowhere else in the park is a line so short for a ride this awesome, and we were not about the turn that down. Again the line was just outside the station, and returning to the back of the train we had our seats in not more than a few minutes. I'd like to thank the wine and the Advil for the most pleasant ride here of the visit so far.

It seemed smart to take a loop of the back half of the park, and see how far we could get. Working up to Gemini, we took a quick spin there, as it's hard to not ride these two coasters back to back. Feeling a bit more ambitious, we opted to take our chances on Maverick. The posted 30 minute wait was just about that, and with the pain killers still doing their thing, the ride here seemed a bit more bearable too, even if just. Still pretty ridiculous though.

Looking for something a little more laid back but still exhilarating, we returned to Sky Hawk. Thanks to the slightly thinning park - school groups seemed on their way out - we were looking at just a cycle wait, as we got our assigned spots right as we entered the queue. There were no delays this time and the ride was on and over in just a minute, performing as advertised.

The late afternoon snack wasn't going to hold us over, so we made our way down the Frontier Trail to the Panda Express that we had spied earlier in the day. Far from fine cuisine, at least it was something relatively diverse from all the usual grilled and fried options. Megan and I shared a combo; as usual the portions here are obscene. Behind us in line we saw a family with several small kids each getting their own dinner. We didn't stick around to see how much of their meals they had to toss. Ours split was plenty for two full grown, and hungry, adults.

In case you guessed that our next stop would be Millennium Force, you're some kind of amazing genius. It'd been all day since our back-to-back rides here and with the wait only a back-and-forth queue beyond the ramp (and shrinking) it was under a half hour before we got our dusk ride. The bugs weren't quite in full force, but the awesomeness of this ride sure was.

There was about an hour left in the day, but without too much else warranting our attention, we doubled up for the second time of the day. Again Millennium Force providing a thrilling ride, and after the 6th run in a day and a half, a fondness was forming. There would be one more day before final impressions were needed (and least for this trip), for now we just considered ourselves lucky to get double rides in a good bit less than an hour.

With time still on our side, and only a visit to Dragster needed to complete the evening run on the Big 3, we considered and ultimately decided to venture a bit out of the way to get to the now spinning Wind Seeker. We saw it all aglow from the Millennium Force queue, and something about it beckoned to us.

Cutting through the majority of the park, it was clear to see how quiet things had gotten. A quick pause by the almost empty Scrambler indicated that there were likely way more insects enjoying the lit attractions than people at this point. There was a quiet stream towards the front exit, and we seemed to be the only ones making the left to get to our destination. In fact, we walked right through the entrance and onto the loading ride.

For someone that loves thrill rides, I'm not the biggest fan of heights. To me, it's all about how safe and secure I feel. Nothing has really bothered me about looking over the edge of the World Trade Center or CN Tower, but standing atop a skyscraper seems pretty low risk. Coasters somehow are fine, too. But put me on a swaying bridge or a rocking Ferris Wheel, and I'm just not comfortable. Heck, at least the madness of the first drops on X2 and Eejanaika is over in just seconds. This ride is all about exposure.

The set-up is beyond simple - imagine your standard swing ride taking place some 300 feet in the air. Sure, the seats and restraints are given a modern treatment, and the light package is mesmerizing, and the on-ride soundtrack (a loop of the theme from E.T., no less) is surprisingly fitting - but you're still spinning around in circles.

I'll admit, I underestimated this one. Sure, I knew the height would freak me out, and it definitely did, and although this is far from the most thrilling ride, the view and sensation of flight was absolutely stunning. While attempting ignoring the fact that there was nothing besides air between my feet and the ground some hundreds of feet below, I was actually able to take in the alternating panorama of the shimmering park and the pitch black sea.

There were about 15 minutes left in our day, so we thought it fit to repeat our final ride from the night before. Back up through the park, we noticed things were pretty quiet on Dragster. It wasn't a stunning surprise, but a bit of a disappointment. Megan took a load off, and I waited just outside the entrance with a couple impatient guests. Instead of joining in on peppering the poor teenage attendant, I waited patiently while hoping it would open up.

As 10pm ticked closer, prospects looked dim, so with just a couple of minutes left in the operating day, we had to "settle" for the ride around the corner. We walked right through Magnum's dark queue and into an empty row in the last car of the waiting train. Our final ride might not have been as statically impressive here, but I can't say it was any less fun, and it certainly was a lot longer.

Without a single complaint about the consolation ride, we hopped off, went down the exit, and were out of the park and at back to our room in all of three minutes. I wanted to see exactly how long (i.e., short) the commute was, and that was the total, three minutes. Crazy. It wasn't much longer before we were settled in for the night, and we were soon off to dream of one more day - what else?

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: Cedar Point Trip Report - 6/5/12 (Day 2) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/7/12 11:25:43 PM
Great work again!

We were in the forward station, and right as we were slowly sent from the station, the just-launched train was headed back the way it came. My first thought was, "Damn, missed a rollback by one train." My second thought was, "Damn, now we're going to have to wait."

I would have lost my mind sitting in the car for TTD and then having to get off. i don't know if I would be more pissed that I just missed being on a roll back or I was ready to launch and got pulled - probably missing the rollback, LOL! How far did they get? Did they crest and fall back or did they not even make it that far?

Realizing we couldn't fight it, we made the trip back into Frontiertown to the Chick-fil-a I had my eyes on since we got here.

I LOVE Chick-fil-a! Can actually get a tasty semi-healthy meal there.

"Cedar Point craps diamonds and can do no wrong" and "Mean Streak is the devil's minion, TAER IT DOWN." Frankly the park gets a bit too much attention; not that it isn't wonderful (you've been reading, right?) but I find it best to call a spade a spade. Mean Streak is not a great coaster. It's best we all accept that.

I find it so funny that me, miss I hate overbanked coasters with a passion, actually liked Mean Streak (now when I say liked I mean found it rather tolerable for an overbanked woodie). I did have Roz (a cedar point guru) with me to show me to the perfect seat but I didn't think it was that bad. Sometimes when you're expectations are so low the ride probably seems better than what it is I suppose.

Working from one end of the other was the plan, and Cedar Creek Mine Ride was next along the way.

The funny thing is in the 4 times I've been there I never rode the mine ride or even recall seeing it!

The Vekoma junior coaster is really more of a family installation than something just for kids, and you can tell because Megan and I were able to share the still-petite car. I got my token credit, bumped up my tally to 311, and didn't regret it for one second. It wasn't like I was trying to bribe my way onto Jr. Gemini.

First, I think Woodstock is a kiddie coaster (any of those "family" coasters are IMO) but good for you for not trying to ride an even more obvious one! Mike G kidnaps children to ride kiddie coasters for credits (here I go starting those rumors again! LOL)

Wicked Twister seemed to be running again after being rather quiet the day before.

I was wondering why you hadn't hit that up the first night - it's one of my favorites.

Magnum. Proximity may have had something to do with it too, but nowhere else in the park is a line so short for a ride this awesome, and we were not about the turn that down.

It still amazes me that Magnum never really has a line when I think it's one of the best coasters in the park.

For someone that loves thrill rides, I'm not the biggest fan of heights. To me, it's all about how safe and secure I feel. Nothing has really bothered me about looking over the edge of the World Trade Center or CN Tower, but standing atop a skyscraper seems pretty low risk. Coasters somehow are fine, too. But put me on a swaying bridge or a rocking Ferris Wheel, and I'm just not comfortable. This ride is all about exposure.

I agree 100%! I won't normally go on ferris wheels or skyrides - I feel very vulnerable. It just that car hanging by a suspension that could break at any time in my mind! They completely freak me out.

It sounds like you guys hit the park on a perfect day. To get all those coasters in plus a lot of flats is rare.

Jen - eagerly awaiting day 3!

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report - 6/5/12 (Day 2) by NotSo NotSo Profile at 7/8/12 1:46:39 AM
It just took me 90 minutes to read Day 1 and Day 2, but with watching the second half of Talledega Nights mixed in, plus i was daydreaming as your paragraghs took my mind to the rides and ambiance as i read the great trip report. Thanks, very well done.

I am so glad someone else sees Hotel Breakers for its history. Those old pictures arent just in the main hallway, they are all throughout the hotel. What a great old hotel, i love it, i love staying there.

Thanks so much for the detailed trip report!

Re: Cedar Point Trip Report - 6/5/12 (Day 2) by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 7/8/12 6:58:00 PM
It was a little frustrating getting kicked off Dragster, but we were just glad they didn’t close down for good. It wasn’t even close, you could tell that it wasn’t just a mis-weighing issue. The nose of the train didn’t even hit the peak. I wasn’t surprised to see them take the train out of commission. I just wish they had done that first thing and not take 20 or 30 minutes to fix it while it was still on the track.

I think I mostly agree about Mean Streak, it’s not that bad, but to me it's far from great, and for a park like Cedar Point I think that’s a disappointment in itself. With stats like it has, you’d hope for something remarkable, but as we’ve seen over and over again with these massive wooden coasters, size is far from everything. I really wonder what they’ll do with it, maybe give it the Iron Horse treatment, maybe they’ll demolish it, and put in a smaller but more popular woodie, or maybe they’ll just leave it there for another 10 or 20 years. None of these options would surprise me.

I guess I put the Vekoma roller skaters and other small-but-not-tiny coasters in a category above kiddie coasters, as junior coasters. Usually the track is significantly longer, the trains/cars are longer and bigger, there is a taller height requirement, and only a single circuit is given. No matter how you slice it, I feel much less embarrassed to ride one of these than I do on the tiny coasters obviously only meant for small kids. I figure I’ll be able to grab enough credits when I have an eventual kid. :}

I’m not the biggest fan of Wicked Twister. It’s fun and all, just doesn’t do too much for me. I have it behind most of the B&M inverted coasters (I just like something a little more well-rounded), and definitely behind the Impulse coaster we have nearby at SF Discovery Kingdom. It’s still one of the coasters at the park I’ll want multiple rides on, but two or three is plenty.

Magnum is easy to overlook at the park, and I feel like it and Raptor provide the best quality for the least wait in the entire park. It’s absurd to me that you could walk on Magnum 4 or 5 times for the one ride you’d get over on Maverick. Sure, I have Maverick ahead of Magnum in my rankings, but I don’t factor in how long I’d have to wait to get on it!

NotSo, thanks for reading! That’s quite a commitment, and I commend your efforts. I also appreciate the compliment. It’s definitely my pleasure. As I was saying in the other thread, Breakers is an amazing piece of amusement history all by itself, and it really filled me with a sense of awe just walking in for the first time. I can’t imagine not staying there again at some point – even it that isn’t for another eight years.

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!