Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Dorney On The 4th Of July!

Dorney On The 4th Of July!

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
7/4/12 at
10:18:47 PM

1. "He must still be sick. Maybe he needs to go back in the hospital."

2. "Is he on drugs?"

3. "Must be an imposter posting."

4. "Did he temporarily take up residence in Bizarro World?"

5. "WTF?"

Those are the reactions I expect from my URC brethren when you read the following sentence:

I went to Dorney Park today and rode ONE coaster.

Back on June 10, Judy P. and I participated in a coaster marathon for charity at Dorney. After the Steel Force marathon and some food, we went into Wild Water Kingdom to dip our legs in the wave pool before an awards ceremony. It was the first time I had even been IN WWK in at least 6-7 years. I decided at that time, that before the summer was out, I was gonna hit WWK "for real." Following my recent hospitalization, a not so pleasant return to work, various aches and pains, and a need to "relax", I decided this past weekend that today was the day.

I arrived about 20 minutes before they opened the gates to WWK at 10am. In a variation of the "running of the bulls," I managed to secure a chaise lounge, partially under a large umbrella. I didn't bother with a locker, and took a chance leaving my bag under my shorts on the chair. Worked out fine, although I understand most on here wouldn't take that chance.

Essentially, I spent 95% of my day floating the two lazy rivers and hanging in the two wave pools. relaxing was my goal, and that did the trick. I did do one body slide with a mat..think it's called the Aqua Racer (what a LONG flight of stairs.) I also did one tube ride. Did a decent amount of walking, though the mistake I made was going barefoot...very painful walking on the hot concrete, essentially from one end to the other more than once. I also put some sunscreen on, which I don't often do. Still ended up with what is easily one of my five worst sunburns ever (hit CVS on the way home in Bayonne for some Solarcaine type stuff.) I dread tomorrow..I'm in a lot of pain right now. My fingers feel fine though.

At about 2:30 I grabbed what was actually a pretty decent hot dog and a fresh lemonade that was actually made fresh. I've seen other parks that serve lemonade made from a mix and put a piece of lemon in it and call it "freh-squeezed." I also had a good pretzel. Dorney's pretzel vendor is now the Philly Pretzel Co. I've always liked their product..used to have one near the job...but $3.50 for one vs. $2 for three is a big difference.

Near 3pm, I decided to venture over to the ride side. WWK had gotten crowded, and I saw empty seats on Talon, so I anticipated the possibility of little to no line. I was right, and took four rides, two in the back seat. I poached, and avoided walking around and struggling with the stairs again. The rides were good, although my ride in the second seat was pretty forceless. I actually do like the front seat on Talon, although not quite as much as the back. Didn't get a front ride today.

The only other ride I had intention of going on was Thunder Canyon, but the line appeard to be at least an hour fifteen. I passed. Took one more dip in the wave pool and split just past 4:30. Stopped at Weis and for gas, and ate at Friendlys near the park.

Mission accomplished..only really bad thing about the day was the sunburn. Wish me luck tomorrow..if I can even move!!

Thanks for reading.

BeastLobster(for now)

* This post was modified at 7/5/12 3:18:14 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Dorney On The 4th Of July! by alpengeistno3 at 7/4/12 10:32:22 PM
You're nuts, Mike!! But at least it sounds like you had a very good day. I would have thought the waterpark would have been impossible to move in on a day like this, but your report says otherwise. Not surprised about Talon at all. Goes back to my point that Dorney is NEVER busy.

We need to try to coordinate a trip to Dorney (obviously, without Jen since I don't think you or I could forcibly drag her in there.) If the Gradv thing does not go off, you want to try for a day in August?

Paul

Re: Dorney On The 4th Of July! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/5/12 5:54:09 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

You're nuts, Mike!! But at least it sounds like you had a very good day. I would have thought the waterpark would have been impossible to move in on a day like this, but your report says otherwise. Not surprised about Talon at all. Goes back to my point that Dorney is NEVER busy.


We need to try to coordinate a trip to Dorney (obviously, without Jen since I don't think you or I could forcibly drag her in there.) If the Gradv thing does not go off, you want to try for a day in August?

Paul

You're just realizing that? After our KD day in April, isn't that a given?

Dorney and I don't get along too well right now because of the hills...bad enough under normal circumstances, but in the August heat...

But we'll see.It's always cool to hang with you.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Dorney On The 4th Of July! by alpengeistno3 at 7/5/12 7:38:11 AM
beastmaster said:

alpengeistno3 said:

You're nuts, Mike!! But at least it sounds like you had a very good day. I would have thought the waterpark would have been impossible to move in on a day like this, but your report says otherwise. Not surprised about Talon at all. Goes back to my point that Dorney is NEVER busy.


We need to try to coordinate a trip to Dorney (obviously, without Jen since I don't think you or I could forcibly drag her in there.) If the Gradv thing does not go off, you want to try for a day in August?

Paul

You're just realizing that? After our KD day in April, isn't that a given?

Dorney and I don't get along too well right now because of the hills...bad enough under normal circumstances, but in the August heat...

But we'll see.It's always cool to hang with you.

Keep me posted.

Paul

Re: Dorney On The 4th Of July! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 7/5/12 10:54:37 AM
Glad you got back into the swing of things! I love Talon, one of my favorites.
- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Dorney On The 4th Of July! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/5/12 4:06:17 PM
beastmaster said:

1. "He must still be sick. Maybe he needs to go back in the hospital."


2. "Is he on drugs?"

3. "Must be an imposter posting."

4. "Did he temporarily take up residence in Bizarro World?"

5. "WTF?"

All of the above but only because you went to Dorney and it sucks LOL!

Hope your sunburn is healing!

Jen