Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Putting a value on unique park memorabilia

Putting a value on unique park memorabilia

rolloutsmash

Posted:
7/3/12 at
5:35:16 PM

Hi everyone! I used to be involved in the enthusiast community, and am also a former Cedar Point employee (talking 10 years ago, yikes I'm old!).

To be succinct, I have a lot going on in my life now, and am trying to minimize my possessions because it's quite frankly a pain to have to move them around constantly. Most things I can sell or donate locally, or throw out, but there are some things that I acquired as an employee of CP that I feel like would be better offered to the enthusiast community, because you all would appreciate them more.

Specifically, the items I'm not sure about putting a price on, as I haven't seen them being sold anywhere else around, are my two SOP manuals for Magnum XL-200 (2001) and Millennium Force (2002). I do feel like somebody might appreciate these enough to pay for them, but I don't really know what kind of price to put on them. So has anyone bought these kinds of things in the past? What should I be looking for, if anything? Condition of the covers of both of them is fair to poor, to be honest, but the pages of both are completely intact and perfectly readable.

If this is an unacceptable topic for here, I apologize. I am not trying to sell them here, I planned on listing them.

Re: Putting a value on unique park memorabilia by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/3/12 5:49:53 PM
I'm no expert, but I would think that you probably should not expect to get much from selling them. You can try putting one of them on eBay and see what bids it generates (you can specify a reserve etc). But they might meet with a better audience if you donate them to a coaster club to put up at silent auction.
Re: Putting a value on unique park memorabilia by alpengeistno3 at 7/3/12 6:54:39 PM
I would think the park would not look too fondly on that sort of thing being put up for sale. I caught a small bit of flack for my mom leaving my Drachen Fire SOP on a park bench after I finished riding.

Paul

Re: Putting a value on unique park memorabilia by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/3/12 8:16:54 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

I would think the park would not look too fondly on that sort of thing being put up for sale.

Since you mention it, that manual is probably considered intellectual property and is copyrighted.

Re: Putting a value on unique park memorabilia by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/4/12 12:43:07 PM
You should be careful selling things like that. It's provided to you for training purposes and not with the intention that it becomes your personal property.

Disney has a problem with people stealing menus from restaurants like Trader Vics, for example, and then selling them on eBay. I know you didn't steal the manual, but they weren't given to you for the purpose of resale either.

While I doubt the park will come after you I would probably just not do it because it's the right thing to do. If it were me they would either hit the trash or I'd just give them to an enthusiast friend.

After 16 years of running this site I've been given a number of interesting things, especially documents related to Disney parks and let's just say that more than a few were not meant for the public eye and they will never be sold if I tire of them.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator