Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12)

Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12)

KrisIles KrisIles Profile

Posted:
7/3/12 at
3:05:37 PM

I've never written a trip report so bare with me. I finally got back to SFGA after not going since July 2010.
Report:
I got to the park super early unintentionally. I was the 5th car outside of the gate before it opened. Waited an hour and a half. They opened the park 30 minutes early (10:00). I headed straight to Kingda Ka. I was the 3rd train to leave the station riding in the second row. Gotta say this ride still gets me with the launch ! From there i hit up my all time favorite El Toro. This was also a walk on because the park was still not crowded at all. Rode that twice :). After that i made the rounds to Green Lantern, than Bizzaro, than Batman , than Nitro. Honestly i don't remember every second of the day so i'm just going to review everything quickly.

Kingda Ka:
Rode it 4 times the whole day. 2 times in the second row and 2 times in the back row. I rode my last one in the second row at night and i swear this ride is 70x better at night. Love this ride. I think what makes it so fun is the fact that everyone on the train even ride veterans are nervous and scared.Even though it broke down 4 times i still love it.

Green Lantern:
My first stand up ever !! Wasn't the most intense thing ever but a great ride. Rode it twice. Once in the very back and the second in the very front. This obviously isn't the parks star ride but a great addition and good replacement for GASM which even though i loved, caused me some serious pain. SN. The twist on this ride were better than i expected. And the little drop before the first corkscrew was great !

Superman:
I finally got to ride the original flying coaster (or at least a clone) and gotta say ... not all that great. I wasn't expecting it to be like Manta which is the only other flying i've been on but the fact that this ride had the longest wait in the park and broke down twice while i was waiting i was hoping for some fun. After almost 50 minutes i got on. The pretzel loop in the back is pretty great but other than that it was nothing special. I honestly want to know why this ride runs so dang slow !!! Only rode once.

Bizzaro:
This ride has a special place in my heart because when I first went to great adventure way back when i was like 8 I so desperately wanted to ride this only to be told i was an inch to short. Still a great ride all together. Rode it once in the front row.

Batman The Ride:
Only rode once but i still love this ride because even though it is so small it is soooooo intense. I rode in the very back and I swear I thought I was going to pass out going through the corkscrews. REALLY need SFGA to put some AC in the tunnel leading up to the station though because it was hotter than a volcano in there. This ride also needs some more ride ops because loading times are horrendous.

Nitro:
Oh my god I love Nitro :)I rode it 3 times. Twice in the back and once in the front. Gotta say i like the back more because going through that helix in the back seat actually made me grey out somewhat which never happened. My final ride which was in the front seat was at night and all i can say is WOW ! Screaming down massive hills in the middle of the woods is a thrill that is unmatched ! Love this ride. SN: I am praying that SFGA buys a clue that Nitro is in desperate theming makeover like the one Medusa got.

The Dark Night:
My first time ever riding TDK and i was plesantly surprised. This ride is actually really cool. Its quick, has a great drop, and does what its supposed to. I rode it twice and am happy to say that this is a great family ride.

Skull Mountain:
This ride also has a special place in my heart because on my first trip to SFGA this was the only ride i was tall enough to ride. Rode it again and its still awesome ! Rode it once.

El Toro:
=)=)=)
OH MY JESUS. I love this ride so much it isn't even funny. I rode it SIX TIMES !!!! I don't even need to talk about this one. Long story short its awesome. I rode it 3 times in a row at night because there was practically no line. Riding this at night is possibly the greatest thrill in the world ! And after much personal debate i have to say... the back seat is better .

Summary: All in all this was the best park day ever mainly because the park was practically empty. the longest i waited for anything was Superman and Kingda Ka and that was only because Superman is terrible and because KK broke down which is to be expected. All in all just a great day .

Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by KrisIles KrisIles Profile at 7/3/12 3:07:24 PM
Oh yea. I rode Rolling Thunder and the Mine Train. Both were rough but fun. =)
Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/3/12 3:52:52 PM
SIX times on Toro!!!????

Amateur :)

I may be incorrect, but I believe the first flying coaster was not Superman or one of its clones. I think it was Stealth in CA, now residing at Carowinds as NightHawk, formerly Borg Assimmilator. I also think that is a Vekoma model as opposed to the Superman flyers which are manufactured by B&M. Others on here who know a helluva lot more than I do about this stuff can jump in if I'm demonstrating my ignorance.

But all in all, a fun, enthusiastic trip report on my home park. Glad you had a good day.

And IM(NS)HO, the only thing "cool" about Dark Knight is the air-conditioned pre-show room. And, yes, back seat rules on NiToro (it's a hybrid of my two faves in the park :)

El Toro at night? Pretty damn good, but if you liked that experience, ya gots to get yourself some night rides on Boulder Dash, Lightning Racer, Beast, and Voyage. All incredible once the sun goes down...and no slouches in the daytime, either!

Mike

* This post was modified at 7/3/12 3:56:05 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by KrisIles KrisIles Profile at 7/3/12 4:14:59 PM
Lol the funny thing is that the AC in the pre-show room of The Dark Night was broken because it was like a hot box in there.

And my apologies. When i said first flying coaster i met one designed by B&M.

And I cannot wait to ride Beast which hopefully i will be seeing at the end of this summer.

Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/3/12 4:24:04 PM
KrisIles said:

Lol the funny thing is that the AC in the pre-show room of The Dark Night was broken because it was like a hot box in there.

And my apologies. When i said first flying coaster i met one designed by B&M.

And I cannot wait to ride Beast which hopefully i will be seeing at the end of this summer.

I prefer the Vekoma flyers to B&M, and if you're going to KI, take a spin on FireHawk there so you can compare.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by KrisIles KrisIles Profile at 7/3/12 4:26:31 PM
Sounds like a plan !
Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/3/12 4:43:33 PM
Nice TR, especially for a 1st one! Yeah B&M flyers should all have dual loading stations. It was a mistake to have a single one. Even Manta can have delays with its dual loading station if some person forgets to hand off the small stuff to a ride op or can't fit in the seat. Those delays adds up. Though speaking of Manta, this year that pretzel loop seemed rougher imo. Last year was fine, but this year I get the 'crushing' feeling more than normal and just can't keep my arms up for the whole portion.
Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by KrisIles KrisIles Profile at 7/3/12 4:51:59 PM
Thanks !

And maybe it's just me but ever since I've rode Manta it's always felt the same as far as the intensity of the Pretzel loop goes. All though the back row has gotten slightly more intense than in the beginning. And even when Manta is only running two trains it STILL runs faster than Superman !

Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by ktujon ktujon Profile at 7/3/12 6:13:07 PM
I'm jealous that the park was empty on a Monday! what were the demographics of people at the park when you were there?

I'm planning on going back again later this month most likely on a Sunday.

I prefer Batwing at SFA it felt smoother and a comfy restraint system and it did come out prior (6/16/01) over Superman (4/17/03) according to rcdb.com

Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by KrisIles KrisIles Profile at 7/3/12 6:18:43 PM
Haven't had a chance to ride BatWing sadly. But it was mostly groups of people in there late teens early 20s. Decent amount of college kids on break. There was like NO families with small kids because the kid zone by Nitro was dead. There were also several large like middle school groups.
Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by ktujon ktujon Profile at 7/3/12 6:33:07 PM
yea that sounds about right, seems like the attendance was double of what you said when I went last Tuesday
Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/3/12 8:44:22 PM
Nice TR! I agree with everything you've said except TDK - hate it! :~)

I don't care for the flyers either and you can't even get me on Superman anymore - I won't waste my time. Batwing at SFA was more enjoyable but they really don't do anything for me.

Glad you had a great trip!

Jen

Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/3/12 9:24:35 PM
KrisIles said:

I've never written a trip report so bare with me.

Absolutely not!

I did, however, bear with your report.
:-)

You wrote quite nicely about your experiences.
It's always nice when a popular park is not too busy so more riding can be had due to shorter lines. One can never plan on that occurring, it is catch as catch can, but we are ever hopeful.
Nice that it worked out that way for you.

* This post was modified at 7/3/12 9:25:12 PM *

Mike B.
Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/3/12 10:25:39 PM
Great TR. Sounds like a great day. I love when world class coasters are a walk on, but that doesn't seem that often. Those are the days that make all that driving and all the money spent worth it. Those are the kind of days that convert seasonal riders to coaster enthusiasts. Glad you had a great time.
Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by KrisIles KrisIles Profile at 7/3/12 10:40:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great comment. It really was a good day.
Re: Trip Report: Six Flags Great Adventure (7/2/12) by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 7/4/12 6:29:45 AM
I know that we got off topic, but I want to give my two cents on the flyers. I have ridden Manta, all three Superman-UF's, and all three Vekoma "Flying Dutchman". There are many better rides out there, but Manta is pretty good. It would be worth a 40 minute wait (mostly inside with the air on). The SFOG Superman is a little bit better than its sister clones mostly because they have done more to keep the grounds in better shape. Because of the double station, the line is shorter. I won't mine waiting 20 minutes for that one, but the days of standing there for an hour at SFGAV or SFGAM are over. The Vekoma's are said to be all the same, but I like Batwing much better than the other two. I'll try to keep my wait for that one under 30 minutes. No way am I going to wait forever for Firehawk or Nighthawk again. The are just not very good. (On a side note: even though I am a Treky sometimes, I like the new paint job on Nighthawk much better.) Anyway I hope that this helps anyone plan there day at any of these parks.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.