Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Camden Park TR

Camden Park TR

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
6/27/12 at
5:49:21 PM

Well today is that dreaded day that I must leave home for 23 days and get on those river boats. Being that I live in PA and work out of Kentucky, I always leave a day early. This also gives me the opportunity to visit a few parks during the summer months. This time I altered my route so I could visit Camden Park in Huntington WV. I have passed this park numerous times, always vowing to stop there one day. Well today was that day.

I arrived at the park right at opening. They asked if I had a coupon. Being that I didn't they gave me one. It was $3 to park and $16 for admission. I headed straight for Big Dipper, their classic wooden coaster. Before I continue, I must add I love classic wooden coasters, especially one with Centry Flyer trains. I grabbed front seat for my first ride. The ride was OK; kind of what I expected. Then I attempted to ride the back seat, but the back seat was literally missing. So I rode second to back seat. This is where the coaster comes to life. The second drop, which is the largest drop has ejector air time. A few other little pops of air and a tunnel and that's Big Dipper. I rode it 4 more times for a total of 6 rides all the rest in the second from back seat.

The other coaster at the park is Lil' Dipper. It's a kiddie wooden coaster, but even big guys like me can ride. I rode it twice, once in the front, and once in the back. After riding and seeing this coaster, I now believe that it is possible to put a wooden coaster in my back yard. Both coasters are ACE classic coasters, so they're both good credits.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have found the ride that inspired SF Great Adventure and SF Great America to build their Dark Knight coasters. The ride is called Haunted House and it's at Camden Park. Haunted House is a dark ride that starts off with a chain lift. A turn and then a drop, followed by wild mouse like hairpin turns, while enjoying corny in the dark gags. Sound familur? Actually I really enjoyed this ride. I rode it 3 times. It kind of reminded me of Wacky Shack at Waldameer, only a lot better. I even told the employees I was impressed with it. I don't understand why it's not considered a coaster.

Some of the flats I rode include, Bulls Eye. It's a small round up. Tilt-A-Wirl, they left me on there forever. I think they forgot about me. Paratrooper, just your normal Paratrooper. I rode Flying Scooters twice. Those things really titled with the right wing adjustment. I'll put those ones right up there with one at Knoebles. Finally The Whip. I boarded a car that was out of service, so I had to find another one.

The park was dead. I did all this in 3 hours. This park needs help. It's a cool little place, but everything is so run down. My car on Tilt A Wirl didn't spin well because the rails were so rusted. This would be a great place for ACE to have a Preservation Event. The park is in the process of installing The Rattler, a frisbee ride.

All in all, I really did have a good time. I would recommend stopping at this park if you're in the area. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to visit though. It's a nice little place. Not much for the coaster enthusiast, but a great place for an amusement park enthusiast. The staff was friendly and the park was clean. I probably wouldn't revisit unless they add a new coaster, but I'm glad I made this visit.

Thanks for reading,
Ken

Re: Camden Park TR by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/27/12 6:12:00 PM
I almost forgot. Riding a coaster in West Virginia makes 22 states for me, in which I have ridden a coaster. Sorry for the double post. I don't have a computer. Everything I write is from a smart phone. Just a little easier on me.
Re: Camden Park TR by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 6/27/12 7:28:15 PM
Thanks for the TR on a park that doesn't seem to get much coverage on discussion boards.

You stated that the park needs help as it seems run down. I was looking at photos of the park on the Net and it doesn't seem like there is much room to expand. What would you do to help the park get back on its feet?

G-Dog

Re: Camden Park TR by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/27/12 8:10:06 PM
Geauga_Dog said:

Thanks for the TR on a park that doesn't seem to get much coverage on discussion boards.

You stated that the park needs help as it seems run down. I was looking at photos of the park on the Net and it doesn't seem like there is much room to expand. What would you do to help the park get back on its feet?

G-Dog

Great Question. First off maintain the existing rides, updating them with the routine upgrades that rides get at most parks. I didn't mention that Flying Scooters,Haunted House, and The Bulls Eye looked great great. You can tell some TLC has been applied. Big Dipper, their feature attraction, needs a paint job in the worse way. As far as expanding, there is an area that is currently occupied by a swan boat ride and a mini golf coarse. That area could house a medium sized coaster, like a GCI twister or an compact B&M steel coaster. That is probably their only option for adding a destination coaster. Also I did not ride their flume, I was afraid to get my cell phone wet. That is another large area to expand. The ride seemd to take up a lot of space, and didn't seem to provide a great attraction. The parking lot is not an option, it's already small. Other than that, I would have to see the property lines.

Re: Camden Park TR by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/28/12 8:15:15 AM
Thanks for the TR Frontrow. Do you know if the Skydiver flat has been removed?
Re: Camden Park TR by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/28/12 8:59:29 AM
Overbanked said:

Thanks for the TR Frontrow. Do you know if the Skydiver flat has been removed?

It's gone. I didn't see it. There is ground torn up, in order to install their new ride. Maybe that's where it used to be.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.