Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12

Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12

ktujon ktujon Profile

Posted:
6/27/12 at
4:24:02 PM

Following Jen's advice, I went with a friend on Tuesday to Six Flags Great Adventure.

Arrived at the park around 10:30am parking lot wasn't packed got a spot near the Superman coaster, the line for the security check was kinda slow followed by the line to get in.

Went straight for Nitro and to my delight there was no line, got two rides in: one in the front and one in the back and thought they were equally good and felt alittle extra force while riding in the back.

Hopped on Batman the ride followed by Dark Knight and Skull Mountain to minimal wait by then it was around noontime...

Walked by the new Skyscreamer and saw a huge line for that as the que station was packed things didn't look good as the park seemed to be more crowded...

Headed over to Green Lantern and the line started around the 60min wait point, while waiting I saw Kingdaka do a rollback that was my first time seeing that.

The cool thing about Green Lantern was alittle past the 30min wait sign there was a separate staircase leading up to the station specifying for single riders (only other place I noticed having this sign was Maverick at Cedar Point) since it was just me and my friend and didn't want to wait the 30min, we walked up the stairs and found 10people in line waiting for it, we then noticed a bunch of other people followed us up the stairs.

So pretty much a ride attendant assigned people to empty seats on the train there was probably at least 2 empty seats per train so we waited about 10min til me and my friend happened to get on the same train of course different rows.

Green Lantern was a very long ride, my right calf was cramping during the ride probably because I had my knees bent alittle instead of standing up straight because I didn't want to experience what I did on Mantis at Cedar Point with my crotch. Total wait time was 20min.

Saw the line for Superman was very long so went to Kingdaka next. The line started around the 60min sign. By the time we got into the station the ride shut down for a brief 10min, they had to empty out a train, they then ran the empty train and when it was complete they ran the ride again! Total wait time was about 60min for the front seat.

Went to Bizarro next for a 30min wait for the front car. I like how they added the mist and the flames for the effect but didn't hear any sounds coming out of the speakers.

El Toro started at the 90min sign, I would say the signs are sometimes inaccurate because from the 60min to the 30min sign took 5min I guess the line moved fast during that time. While waiting to get into the station we saw many people enter using the flash pass, I'm sure I saw at least 40 people enter in with it. By the time we got into the station it was pretty fast since no one was waiting for the back of the train. Total wait time was 50min.

Superman:Ultimate Flight was last by then I was starving since I don't want to buy any food in the park. The wait started at the 90min sign, I'm thinking that the line might move fast like El Toro did but I was wrong.
The line moved incredibly slow and the signs were pretty much dead on. I definitely saw many people entering the flash pass line like watching people going to the park on an empty day walking on a ride with no line.

By the time I got to the stairs I saw a party of 18 people using the flash pass. Another annoying thing was it looked like they had a ride operator in training so it took them so time to get the ride going. Good thing the ride attendant let us go in front of a group of 4 to get on with 2 others for the front row. Total wait time 90min and left the park around 5pm.

In conclusion, next time I go no matter which day, I need to get myself a flash pass even if the day starts off nice!

Re: Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/27/12 6:02:36 PM
Great TR. I am so jealous, SF Great Adventure is my favorite park. I have been very fortunate. I have been at Great Adventure a total of 5 days. On 4 of those days the park was pretty dead, and the other time the crowd was still manageable. I did recently encounter a crowd like you had at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee IL. I'm with you. From now on I'm putting flash passes into our budget.
Re: Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/27/12 9:12:03 PM
ktujon said:

Walked by the new Skyscreamer and saw a huge line for that as the que station was packed things didn't look good as the park seemed to be more crowded...

Not worth a long wait and when I rode it the day it opened I thought that queue was WAY too small and was going to be spilling out.

Headed over to Green Lantern and the line started around the 60min wait point, while waiting I saw Kingdaka do a rollback that was my first time seeing that.

In all the times that I've been there and rode it I've NEVER seen a rollback! I was there once when someone else told me a rollback happened but I didn't see it.

The cool thing about Green Lantern was alittle past the 30min wait sign there was a separate staircase leading up to the station specifying for single riders (only other place I noticed having this sign was Maverick at Cedar Point) since it was just me and my friend and didn't want to wait the 30min, we walked up the stairs and found 10people in line waiting for it, we then noticed a bunch of other people followed us up the stairs.

30 minutes is not bad at all for GL - it gets LONG.

Went to Bizarro next for a 30min wait for the front car. I like how they added the mist and the flames for the effect but didn't hear any sounds coming out of the speakers.

That's a long line for Medusa, uh-hem Bizarro (LOL). It's usually a walk-on. It's SO much better without the blaring noise so be grateful the sound was off!

El Toro started at the 90min sign, I would say the signs are sometimes inaccurate because from the 60min to the 30min sign took 5min

That happens all the time there - I was on Nitro once at the 60 minute wait sign and I was on the train riding in 20 minutes...

Superman:Ultimate Flight was last by then I was starving since I don't want to buy any food in the park. The wait started at the 90min sign, I'm thinking that the line might move fast like El Toro did but I was wrong.
The line moved incredibly slow and the signs were pretty much dead on. I definitely saw many people entering the flash pass line like watching people going to the park on an empty day walking on a ride with no line.

Always the worst line in the park. I personally hate flying coasters and I never go on it anymore but the first year it opened I went with a friend and her 2 teenage kids. I waited 4 hours for that stupid ride! I wanted to kill myself....

In conclusion, next time I go no matter which day, I need to get myself a flash pass even if the day starts off nice!

You never said how you liked the rides - so what did you think of them?

Jen

Re: Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/27/12 10:17:03 PM

That's a long line for Medusa, uh-hem Bizarro (LOL). It's usually a walk-on. It's SO much better without the blaring noise so be grateful the sound was off!
Jen

My thoughts exactly.

Now, if they could put back those two back row seats!

Mike B.
Re: Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12 by chris92se chris92se Profile at 6/27/12 10:56:32 PM
Thanks for the review. That park is on my "dream list" of places to go, along with Cedar Point.

It sounds like the Flash Passes are accepted on all the rides, which is good.

At SFMM you have to pay extra (on top of the FP cost) for X2, which I refused to do. I purchased regular FP for one day, which helped a lot. It allowed us at least 5-6 extra coaster rides on that day.

I rode X2 one time in three days and waited for almost 2 hours, arriving at the park opening and going straight to it. It did have a shut down of about 30 minutes during that time, though.

Re: Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 6/28/12 12:01:42 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Not worth a long wait and when I rode it the day it opened I thought that queue was WAY too small and was going to be spilling out.

I actually rode Skyscreamer at Cedar Point I enjoyed the breeze up there while feeling a little dizzy but definitely not worth waiting for!

In all the times that I've been there and rode it I've NEVER seen a rollback! I was there once when someone else told me a rollback happened but I didn't see it.

While we were waiting for Superman my friend saw it rollback again! it was the orange train I believe...

You never said how you liked the rides - so what did you think of them?

this was actually my third time going to GAdv, first time was 10years ago I remember going on a Monday and the lines weren't too bad, longest wait was for Batman on the Chiller (45min) followed by Robin (20min) reason why it was shorter because it had a delayed opening and got our place in line for it!

Medusa was a walk on like you said probably rode that 4times in a row before getting tired of it. I think I prefer Dominator at Kings Dominion better I think its much smoother and I didn't get tired of it after riding it 4times in a row.

Skull Mountain when I rode the first time I thought the first drop was huge, this time around it wasn't therefore I was disappointed.

Nitro was about 15min wait each time. As smooth as it gets!

My second trip to GAdv was back in May 2008 on a Thursday it was during one of those math/science days so the park was flooded with high schoolers. Waited about 1.5 hours for Kingdaka because it started to rain right as I was about to board the front seat! The second time I rode was later in the day waited about 30min for a seat in the back, wasn't as good as riding the front since I enjoy feeling the wind blow my face off that only you can feel it in front seat.

El Toro the wait wasn't so bad prob like 20min each time. I enjoyed the steep first drop and had some good airtime on those hills and the sharp turns remind me of Intimadator305 and Skyrush.

Definitely this past Tuesday was the most crowded of the three times I been to GAdv.
And of course I left the park without feeling any pain!

Re: Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12 by alpengeistno3 at 6/28/12 12:17:11 AM
ktujon said:

left the park around 5pm.

You don't need a flash pass, you need a better plan!! You did right by hitting Nitro, Batman, Dark Knight and Skull Mountain 1st as everyone always goes to KK, Green Lantern and El Toro 1st thing in the morning. You should milk those rides until around 12:00. After 12:00, I try to hit smaller rides like Blackbeard, Runaway Train, Rolling Thunder and usually Bizarro (Jen was right, it is unusual that it has that long of a line by midday) After that, I leave the park to eat lunch/dinner until around 4:00. Once I get back, I kind of mill around and take pictures and stuff until everyone starts leaving at 6:00. Then I go for the kill on the big ones, Toro, Kingda Ka, Green Lantern and Superman (if I am bored). The worst thing you did was wait in those lines midday and leave at 5:00. The best time to ride is 1st thing in the morning and during the last 3 hours. I don't think I have been to any park where the lines are an issue at those times.

Hopefully you will get to go back and give it another try. (without a crappy flash pass!) Remember, even if you miss the morning, most people leave at 6:00. Don't be one of them!!

Paul

Re: Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 6/28/12 6:41:29 AM
yup that sounds good paul but it stinks when someone needs to work early the next day and has to make a long trip back that night and figuring out what to eat in the middle of the day that's not at the park, i wouldn't know what to pack in the cooler!
Re: Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/28/12 10:33:32 AM
ktujon said:

yup that sounds good paul but it stinks when someone needs to work early the next day and has to make a long trip back that night and figuring out what to eat in the middle of the day that's not at the park, i wouldn't know what to pack in the cooler!

I agree with you. When I need to leave early either I only go on the few rides I really care about (KK, ET, Medusa and Nitro) or I get a FP if I want to ride everything by the afternoon. School's out now so the days of walking on rides are long over unfortunately.

My other "trick" is to go when rain is in the forecast and it's a cloudy day. Many people stay home and unless we're supposed to be getting slammed with thunderstorms all day, a little rain delay is a good trade off to long lines IMO.

Jen

Re: Trip Report Six Flags Great Adventure Tuesday 6/26/12 by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 6/30/12 11:38:04 PM
I too have been to SF Great Adventure recently. If you can go when I was, early in the season before NY and PA schools let out, you will be in better shape. Here are some real quick ride ratings:

Superman-UF: I went to this first because I knew about the line. SFOG is the best of the three with a much shorter wait. The Vekoma's are much worse. Manta rocks.

Green Lantern: This is the best of the B&M stand-ups by a mile. I remember liking Chang more.

El Toro: I gave it two more tries this time. I still don't care for Intamin ejector airtime.

Kingda Ka: I rode it once this time. It has moved up the rankings closer to TTD because the OTSR's seemed like less of a factor. Wow, what a great 28 seconds.

Rolling Thunder: I rode on the right side this time. Every once in a while I am a credit pig.

Runaway Mine Train: This was another new credit, but I have found only one other Arrow of this type that was better. I rode this one twice.

Bizarro: This was much better than I remember it. It could be the best of the day. I rode twice. Who cares about the speakers; the new visuals are what make the ride.

Skyscreamer: It had a rather long line. It was better than the normal swings, but is not something I would wait 30 minutes for again.

Blackbeard's and Dark Knight: Do I have to say that I went for the credits again? The lines were short.

Nitro: As being quite rare for B&M, this broke down a lot. I rode once in the rain and once with out. It has been sent to the bottom of the B&M hyper list, but being the worse of the best isn't the end of the world.

Batman: This is a standard within the clones. The SFGAM stands out above the rest.

Skull Mountain: I rode this again on this trip at the end of the day because everything else was rained out. I can only think of one better family inside coaster.