Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Lagoon questions

Lagoon questions

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
6/27/12 at
2:56:48 PM

As I write this I am sitting in an office in Salt Lake City, Utah where I have been shipped to a customer site for the week. I am going to attempt to get out to Lagoon tomorrow night after work if at all possible and had a few quick questions for anyone familiar with the park.

1) Does the park have any discounts for an after 5:00 admission? I won't be getting there until around 6:00 and didn't see any info on their website. I assume no, but it didn't hurt to ask.

2) I plan on hitting 6 coasters (the woodie, spinner, Wild Mouse, Wicked, BomBora and the Schwarzkopf Double Looper along with both dark rides. Will 4 hours be enough time to do that? If not, which coasters are the must-rides? I'm not trying to credit whore, but I'd like to get as many in as I can!

3) Are the dark rides worth going on? I'm a sucker for classic dark rides and assumed these would be right up my alley.

I also don't have a car and will probably be cabbing it up there from the hotel. Any other tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Lagoon questions by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/27/12 3:06:49 PM
Taking a look at their website...it says they are open from 11am to 10pm, so that's your time frame. Looks like they have no evening rates, so your stuck at the Regular $44.95 + tax price point. It's $9 to park, but taking a cab should eliminate that.

I can't help you in the ride department, but from my own opinion, I would hit up Wicked first. Launch coasters tend to break down and it looks like the best ride, so it'd be good to get on it first. As for the dark rides, I'm sure they are fun, as all usually are, so check em out.

Here is a link to the park map if you want to plan a point of attack!

http://www.lagoonpark.com/parkInfo/parkMap

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Lagoon questions by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/27/12 4:38:33 PM
When I visited Lagoon a five years back it was busy day and night. I think you'll be able to knock out the roller coasters without any issues. Wicked, Jet Star 2, Roller Coaster and Colossus were all fun rides. The Bat and Spider seemed to be the lowest capacity coasters.

If I recall correctly I think Dracula's Castle was a descent dark ride with interesting ride vehicles. I believe you rode in a coffin.

I might be tempted to rent a car. I think the park is like 20+ minutes north of downtown.

Re: Lagoon questions by drachen drachen Profile at 6/27/12 5:48:10 PM
ray_p said:

I am going to attempt to get out to Lagoon tomorrow night after work if at all possible and had a few quick questions for anyone familiar with the park.

Definitely do try to get to this hard-to-get-to park. It's short on real thrilling rides, but it's full of fun rides and has a gorgeous setting.

I've been to Lagoon twice, and I've loved it. If you can spare a few hours to spend there, I would do it. Don't short-change the park. When I made it to Waldameer last year, I thought it reminded me of Lagoon somewhat.

ray_p said:

2) I plan on hitting 6 coasters (the woodie, spinner, Wild Mouse, Wicked, BomBora and the Schwarzkopf Double Looper along with both dark rides. Will 4 hours be enough time to do that? If not, which coasters are the must-rides? I'm not trying to credit whore, but I'd like to get as many in as I can!

I can't speak on the family invert, Wicked, or the new family coaster, since all three are new since my last visit in 2004. But Colossus is an absolute gem that I would love to ride again, since Dorney removed Laser. The John Miller wooden coaster is good too, and certainly worth a few spins.

Jet Star 2 is exactly what it says, but it's a lot of fun. Spider is the same model as Waldameer's, and the Wild Mouse is of the less-braked variety - or at least it still was in 2004.

ray_p said:

3) Are the dark rides worth going on? I'm a sucker for classic dark rides and assumed these would be right up my alley.

There are two really enjoyable dark rides at Lagoon. I remember one being better than the other. One is right as you enter, but hidden to the left. That was the better of the two. The second is on the right side of the midway as you head toward the the coasters. I'm sure you'll like both.

Give the Ferris wheel a ride too. The park has a gorgeous setting against the mountains. The S&S ride provides nice views too.

If you've never ridden a Mondial Top Scan, Lagoon has one. I also hear that their rapids ride is very good. They have a swinging ship over the water, a nice train ride, and a nice western section (with minimal rides) to walk through.

ray_p said:

I also don't have a car and will probably be cabbing it up there from the hotel. Any other tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Lagoon is not far north from Salt Lake City (which is a gorgeous city), so a cab shouldn't be too expensive. Check the bus schedule too.

If you have time while in Salt Lake, head over to the Gateway outdoor mall. There is a Brazilian grill call Tucanos which is PHENOMENAL. For around $20, you get buffet sides and all of the fresh-carved beef/meat you can eat - brought to your table in huge chunks on skewers. The servers have you grab a piece with tongs and the cut it off for you. Great food.

Looking forward to your report and video!

* This post was modified at 6/27/12 5:52:00 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Lagoon questions by ray_p ray_p Profile at 6/27/12 11:43:34 PM
Thanks for the responses! Looks like I won't be getting there till 6:30, which knocks a half hour off my time, but at least I'll get to see the park. We also seem to have resolved the car issue, so I shouldn't have to worry about a cab. I'm looking forward to checking Lagoon out as it is a park that doesn't get a lot of coverage.

Thanks again for your input guys!

Re: Lagoon questions by ray_p ray_p Profile at 6/29/12 12:48:04 AM
Thanks again for the responses. Lagoon is a VERY underrated park. Beautiful setting, nicely kept grounds, fun details in many of the rides, and a compact layout all combine for a great park. I didn't have time to make a video, but a full TR and pics will be forthcoming when I get home this weekend.

One quick item from my visit though- more parks need to get a Zamperla Air Race. What a great ride concept!

Re: Lagoon questions by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/29/12 3:37:13 AM
ray_p said:

One quick item from my visit though- more parks need to get a Zamperla Air Race. What a great ride concept!

Preach it, Brother Ray!!! Definitely the highlight of my recent jaunt to Luna Park.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.