Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Northern California -- which park to visit?

Northern California -- which park to visit?

chris92se chris92se Profile

Posted:
6/26/12 at
10:23:36 PM

I went to Florida a few weeks ago and burned through a lot of the vacation funds, so flying to SoCal (Magic Mountain) or Ohio for Cedar Point is out of the question.

I have another week off in July and my wife and I are driving to NorCal. We will be camping in the Redwoods a couple of days, but we were going to drive along the coast to the Bay Area before returning home. We only have one extra day, though.

I was thinking about either Six Flags Discovery Kingdom or California Great America. I went to CGA about 25 years ago and rode the Demon, but I don't remember much else.

I am leaning toward Discovery Kingdom, but I just wanted some opinions from other coaster riders. I am not too concerned with other stuff (animal events or shows) we just like coasters.

Re: Northern California -- which park to visit? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/27/12 12:23:38 AM
I would visit Six Flags Discovery Kingdom over California's Great America, but have you considered the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk?

It's an exceptional and very rare (on west coast) seaside attraction. Giant Dipper is a descent wooden coaster and I just really like the entire package offered at the Boardwalk.

Re: Northern California -- which park to visit? by chris92se chris92se Profile at 6/27/12 9:32:14 AM
I am not sure if we will be able to make it that far south. I live in the Columbia River Gorge (north central Oregon).

We will already be driving about 12-14 hours (in two parts) to get down that way via the Oregon and California coast, plus 11 hours to get home up I-5 from the north part of the bay area.

Going to Santa Cruz would add almost 2 hours each way. I have been considering that, too because I have a friend that used to live there, but it might be just too far to go.

I went on the Giant Dipper at Belmont Park in San Diego last year and it was fun.

* This post was modified at 6/27/12 9:36:51 AM *

Re: Northern California -- which park to visit? by drachen drachen Profile at 6/27/12 10:56:10 AM
I will agree with Eric. When I was out there in 2003, I faced a similar decision - only had time for one park. Since I had a Six Flags season pass, the decision was easy.

I like the Vallejo park a lot, and though I've never been to Great America, I think SFMW looks like a better park.

Aside from the rides, it also has an extensive animal exhibit. As far as coasters go, Medusa and Roar are two of the best of their genres, and the new Superman ride looks like a blast.

Now, if it was 2013, I may consider Great America for that gorgeous new wooden coaster that's coming.

One thing that sticks in my craw from that trip is my inability to make it to Santa Cruz. I tried to go, but time and circumstances wouldn't permit. I wish I would have made it - the place looks right up my alley.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Northern California -- which park to visit? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/27/12 12:12:52 PM
The neutered V2 looks very good as well.
--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Northern California -- which park to visit? by drachen drachen Profile at 6/27/12 12:22:21 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

The neutered V2 looks very good as well.

I thought SFMW's re-worked version of V2 was actually pretty fun - certainly something you can't find anywhere else. It's now one of two very unique rides at the park.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Northern California -- which park to visit? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 6/27/12 2:19:32 PM
Haven't been to California since 2001 but from my recollection of both parks I would pick SFDK over CGA as they do have the better coasters there. CGA may have more but other than Flight Deck there isn't anything else that stands out. Plus Six Flags has the new Superman,that's a bonus.

SCBB is a very cool park. Giant Dipper is a very nice wood coaster despite having Morgan trains.

G-Dog

Re: Northern California -- which park to visit? by chris92se chris92se Profile at 6/27/12 2:41:30 PM
Thanks for all the input. I think I will surely visit the Six Flags park.

Maybe in the next year or two we will do a trip where we fly to the Bay Area and see more of San Francisco, then check out Santa Cruz, Carmel, Monterey, etc.

This trip was going to just be the Redwoods, but we figured we could sneak down to a park for a day to hit a few coasters. I don't think we will even go into San Francisco. The trip will already be over 1200 miles in 5 days.