Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags Magic Mountain

Six Flags Magic Mountain

rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile

Posted:
6/23/12 at
3:10:13 PM

I am going to Six Flags Magic Mountain sometime in November. First what is the best hotel to stay at near there and second what is the slowest weekend. Since I have never been there before and am coming from St. Louis I would like to ride every coaster I can.

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/23/12 8:09:45 PM
I think November overall is slow. Obviously, the busiest weekend is Thanksgiving. The only issue you may encounter are closed roller coasters. Six Flags Magic Mountain is a year-round park, so during the off-season certain rides may be closed for maintenance. The park doesn't seem to provide details like this in advance.

I've noticed the park has really cut back on their operating hours this year.

There are several hotels right off Interstate-5 at Magic Mountain Parkway. I've never stayed at any of them, but most look fine. Whatever you do I would not stay in Castaic, north of Six Flags. The area and hotels especially are dangerous.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 6/23/12 8:56:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm planing on going for 3 days so most rides should be a least open for one of the 3 days. I mainly want to go on X2, Goliath, Superman, Lex Luther, Green Lantern, the newest woodie, Viper, and the flying coaster. So as long as those are open ill be happy.
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/24/12 12:50:22 PM
Down for maintenance usually means a span of a few to several weeks. It is not a day or two.

There are three weekends in November that Magic Mountain is open for more than just Saturday-Sunday. I would probably avoid November 2-4 since that is the end of Fright Fest. It could be very busy.

* This post was modified at 6/24/12 12:59:24 PM *

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain by GSutton at 6/25/12 11:08:04 PM
Hi. I was there 2 years ago(1st time ever, if you count 1984 family trip and I was 14...) and bought the extra flash pass with the additional option of that being $15.00 more-so for the flash pass for X-2. The park was "dead" so to speak and this was the first day that Hallow-weekends opened with EVERY coaster open & was a walk-on with everyone,yes even X2,open!Rode every coaster by 1:30 pm.Just wanted to say that this is an awesome rollercoaster park approaching that of Canada's Wonderland (THE BEST BY FAR !!!) You in no way will be disappointed I think where we stayed was in a Hilton right across the parks's main entrance that had a constant shuttle to and from the Main Gate and the Hotel (...and very punctual)---- Check on your computer for the correct Hotel...Ask them if they are. Enjoy it all, I'm sure you will

* This post was modified at 6/25/12 11:11:11 PM *

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/26/12 9:32:54 PM
Eric is right - when I tried to go in Nov (unsuccessfully I might add) the park was closed during the week and only open on weekends (didn't know this ahead of time). Because I was there for my B-day, 11/11, which happens to be Veteran's day, it was open (it was a Tues) but it POURED the entire day and the park never opened. This was quite a few years ago so just make sure you check the schedule first if planning on a weekday so you don't end up like me, never getting there. :~(

Jen

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain by chris92se chris92se Profile at 6/26/12 9:52:02 PM
There is a Hilton Gardens very close to the park. I believe they actually advertise being the closest hotel to the park.

The hotel is nice and they have a free shuttle to the park. In the morning, you need to sign in early to get a well-timed shuttle for the park opening. You just have to call and they will come get you within about 30 minutes. I stayed there in 2011 for three days, so we used the shuttle frequently.

You can walk, but the park is up a steep hill and it doesn't feel very safe. My wife and I walked once down to the hotel, but after that, just stuck with the shuttle.

It wasn't terribly expensive and you don't need to pay to park, which factors in, also. We had a rental car and drove to Costco and some other places in Santa Clarita. It's a very nice, upscale neighborhood east of the hotel.

* This post was modified at 6/26/12 10:01:20 PM *