Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12

Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
6/21/12 at
10:21:29 AM

We went on our Hershey trip on Thursday and we had an awesome day. It was me, Mike G, Paul, Judy and 2 of her former students, Calvin and Kendra. Everyone had arrived by 10:15 am and we proceeded to go in. Judy’s friends have autism and one needed a wheelchair at times so they received passes to go right on the rides with each allowing up to 3 adults with them. The weather was gorgeous and the park didn’t seem very crowded. I'm sure the others will have more to add since we did so much throughout the day I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention some things. The pictures are a combo of both mine and Paul's.

We entered the park and went straight to Skyrush. It was around 10:30 am (when the rides officially start but they have ERT for season pass holders and hotel guests 1 hour prior) and the line was already a good size. We took advantage of the passes and went right up the elevator. I was sitting on the left wing, second to last row. I was strapped in and ready to go. Our train dispatches and holy crap – it FLIES up the hill (that always freaks me out!) and we hit the top and I made one of the biggest mistakes in my roller coaster riding life – I put my hands up. When we hit the bottom of the initial hill it immediately goes into a violent banked turn. My lower body went one way and my upper body went the other. I felt something snap on my right side. The restraints became so tight they hurt terribly. I held on for the remainder of the ride but it was too late. The forces on that coaster are so intense that until one knows the layout it’s like riding the worst, painful overbanked woodie on speed (and we all know how much I LOVE them, LOL). I never even noticed that I was on a wing seat – there was no time to enjoy that or even look around. I was too busy trying to figure out how to not sever my spinal cord. Then we were on the track waiting to get to the station for 12 minutes – my thighs pulsating from the pain of the restraints – they press right on the upper middle thigh – a very sensitive area. I can say I HATED it and don’t understand why they would build something so vicious at Hershey.


Look at all that twisting metal - going through that at high speed is not something I consider fun!


We were wondering what they were building here when we came in. Now after riding I bet it's a chiropractor's office!

Paul then suggested that we head to the other side of the park since everyone was flocked over by Comet and SkR (will use this for Skyrush since SR is for Storm Runner). We headed to Storm Runner. It was a walk-on. We all went on and Paul and I went for the front with a 2 train wait. Once I was launched over that fabulous top hat I saw rainbows and butterflies! All of the pain from SkR disappeared and I was in heaven. Still my favorite ride in the park hands down. We got off and Mike, Judy, Calvin and Kendra were already off since they went in another row. We begged to ride again like children (mom, dad – can we please go on again? Please, please??!!). There wasn’t much arm twisting needed there! I said to Paul maybe we should try that again and see if we can get them to buy us ice cream, LOL! Went back on and this time Mike and I rode the front and Paul and the others rode in the back. Paul seems to think the back is better on SR – he must have been dropped on his head as a baby! :~) Once again a fabulous ride. I mentioned that I was done and I going home now, LOL!


Me and Mike getting launched on SR - look at all the pansies holding on behind us! Amateurs!

We then took a walk to Fahrenheit. There was a decent line – not terrible but too long for the kids to wait in so we used the passes. We got up and were escorted to the middle rows (Paul’s favorite!). It was a decent ride but there was definitely a vibration felt while riding – I think it was Joe who mentioned it in his previous TR. Paul thinks it’s the wheels that need changing. I hope that’s all it is because if it’s going to become a rough coaster over the years that will be a problem. I’m not a huge fan of Fahrenheit but it definitely has its place in the park.

Then we headed over Wildcat and you all know my feelings on that one – I’d euthanize it for aggression if I had a choice. I took a smoke break while the others headed over there. They can all comment on that ride since I refuse to go on it. While I was sitting down I turned to my left and the pain coming from my right side was excruciating. I knew I did something bad on SkR so luckily I brought a prescription anti-inflammatory in case my ankle acted up so I took that immediately. After Wildcat we headed over to the best mouse in the country and it didn’t disappoint (although it was mildly painful with my current injury).


Best mouse EVER!

Then we headed to Lightning Racer. We decided we wanted to race each other and since I won’t go on anything red I was on the Thunder side with Paul. We lost :-(. We rode again and we lost again… That coaster is fixed! But what a great coaster it is – I always have so much fun on that one. The last time we rode Mike and Paul were on the Lightning side and we were talking trash whenever the coasters met up – lots of fun!


Lightning Racer

We wanted to get lunch and we went to the BBQ place – did you know they took out the real BBQ and put in electric grills?! Blasphemy! (a little info Paul told us). The food was still good although we had to wait 20 minutes for our Texas Taters to be ready – yum!

Went up to ride Great Bear and we used the passes. We were ushered to the middle row – I was on the left side and Paul was next to me. The entire ride all I heard was “Now I know why people say GB sucks – it’s because they rode in the middle” and “Not only am I in the middle but I’m in the middle seat too – this sucks”, etc for the ENTIRE ride! I said we will go back on later and wait for the last row but he was not happy, LOL.

We then walked down to Looper to try the new trains and there was something none of us have ever seen before – a line!


Look! There was a line on Looper - we have proof!

There are pros and cons to the new trains. I thought the ride was smoother than in the past but the way the top head rest is positioned it digs into your shoulder a little. Not terrible though and it rode nicely. The orange trains look so out of place – they need to paint the track another color – it’s definitely not working.


Those orange trains look so out of place

We were going to take another spin on SkR but it was down. Went down quite a lot throughout the day.


Saw a lot of empty test trains running throughout the day



And a lot of this

We then jumped on Comet – about a 15 minute wait. I believe it was around this time that Judy showed me the bruises across her thighs from SkR. I got the last row with Calvin. Let me start by saying Calvin is a BIG boy – not fat – just huge. I was completely squished the entire ride. He had fun and I had to be pried off the side of the car, LOL.

Then we took a break and headed over to chocolate world.

While we were getting in the car something happened and Mike and Calvin ended up in the car behind us – we were bummed – we wanted to all ride together. The tour is the same as it’s always been but we had fun. We were joking that we were going to each get a Jolly Rancher when we got off since they have gotten more and more stingy with the door prize as years go on. It was a bag of 3 chocolate covered almonds so not far off. Remember the days when you got an entire candy bar? We then grabbed a delicious chocolate shake and relaxed a bit.


Is it me or is the Hershey's syrup bottle giving us the finger?!

Went back in and Paul and I decided to wait online for SkR since the line was not too long since it just re-opened. Judy, Mike and the gang used the passes. We got on the last row and I took the middle seat and Paul was on the left wing. We were talking about how to try and stop the lap bar from tightening so much (you can see and talk to each other from middle to wing – it’s not that much of a difference) and Paul came up with the idea to hold on the bar and push out (pushing yourself back against the seat). We tried it and it worked!!! That was a much better ride than the first time although I still can’t say I really enjoyed it – I was too busy trying not to tear any more muscles or have my thighs crushed – but it wasn’t nearly as bad as the first ride.

Went on Looper again – this time it was a walk on. We walked up to GB so Paul could have his last row ride and Coal Cracker was empty so we jumped on. I forgot about the jump hill at the end and nearly fell out of the boat! We then waited on line for GB (very short wait) and Paul got his seat. I was laughing hysterical the entire time. This ride all I heard was “Oh yeah baby!”, “That’s right, that’s what I’m talking about”, etc. He was quite entertaining. Paul and Calvin went on for another ride while the rest of us took a break.

Then went to the Kissing Tower and we could see SkR appeared to be down again.


Paul said this is where they're building the new ride for next year, LOL!

Took a spin on Trailblazer (walk on) and headed back to Storm Runner. Waited for my front row with Mike and Paul went and got a rear seat. Trying to prove some sort of point he ran around and jumped back on and rode 2x before we rode once (we only had 4 trains in front of us but the rear rows were true walk ons). My point is I will take one front row ride to two last row rides any day of the week and twice on Sunday! The front is the place to be as far as I’m concerned.

Then we headed to Side Winder to test the new trains out. Mike and I jumped in the back row and Paul, Judy and the others went for the front. I prefer the back on shuttles. Now, let’s talk about the new restraints – AWESOME!!!!!! They have this rubber vest that is extremely comfortable and I tried to hit my head on the side bars while waiting and I could barely touch the top of my scalp! Simply awesome! I stayed on and rode again while the others walked off (there was no line and hardly anyone waiting so I jumped in the second to last row). When I got off Paul and Mike were back on line motioning me to come back on. Paul wanted me to try the front. I did and while I agree the forces are more intense, the “wee” is less intense so I’ll take my bigger “wee” in the back thank you! You know I’m all about the “wee”! (I can't believe none of us got pics of the new restraints! - oops!)

Mike and I then rode the Claw – I find it to be a nice relaxing ride but I prefer the Huss Frisbees with the free-fall feeling to the motorized ones. We took another spin on Fahrenheit (with the passes) and were banished to the middle row again. I don’t really care about that one – I don’t particularly care for it anyway.

Headed up to Wildcat where the others rode and then to LR for a night ride. It was me and Calvin vs Mike and Paul and it said Lightning won but I swear we were first! I asked for instant replay and the ride op laughed. I wasn’t kidding.

We all said good-bye at this point since Mike, Judy, Kendra and Calvin wanted to finish the night on LR and Paul and I wanted to give SkR another try at night. I stopped to get a souvenir for the bunnies (I love personalized things to put on their cage) and Paul took another ride on GB.

We met at SkR and had about a 15 minute wait. This time we both took wing seats in the back (I was on the right this time) and I had a lot of trouble being able to push the bar out enough and be comfortable. It didn’t help that my hair clip started falling out and I had to grab it, leaving me one hand to hold on with. The wing seats are more intense I suppose and I won’t ride them again. Not worth it IMO. The only difference between the wing seats and middle seats is more pain.

Good pic of the layout of SkR

As for my final review of Skyrush – it is a violent coaster (you call it intense, I call it violent!) and causes too much pain to be enjoyable. Paul and I were talking on the way out of the park and discussed how you have to put so much energy into trying to ride it properly as to not get your thighs crushed or your body beaten up that you can’t really enjoy the ride. I never even noticed a difference in view on the wing seats – I was too busy trying not to die. I give it a thumbs down and could care less if I ever ride it again. Now, as for the people who were upset that it ruins the Comet Hollow section – no it doesn’t. The only thing it ruins is Comet. It is kept out of the way and I think the integrity of that area remains. It has actually brought more people to that side of the park (see line for Looper). That’s a great thing since SR is still my favorite and to practically walk on every ride was a beautiful thing!


SkR does take away from Comet but not from the area in general IMO

We all had a great day and I wish more of you could have come. Beautiful weather, light crowds and a great group of friends to enjoy the park with. It was awesome to see Mike and Paul again as I know there’s a great time in store when we’re together. It was great to finally meet Judy and to meet Kendra and Calvin as well – we have both heard so much about each other from Mike but never met. Loved her and can’t wait until our next trip! She thinks they will get me to Dorney – LMAO!!! She’s a funny lady!

Jen

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/21/12 11:28:39 AM
Great TR and beautiful photos Jen. I've been looking forward to this TR. Sorry I couldn't make it. I would have loved to meet you guys, but our Midwest trip was already planned. I plan on going to Hershey on weekday in mid July. I'm was really looking forward to riding Skyrush. After your report, it sounds like I'm asking for pain. I agree with you about the front seat of Storm Runner. Last year we could have walked on a middle seat, but we opted to wait for front both times. I'm glad you guys had a great time and the lines were short. Hopefully I'll have that same kind of luck when we go.
Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/21/12 1:10:27 PM
Awesome job as always on the TR..kudos to you and Paul for the photos. Good company, great day.

I thought SkyRush was more painful in the middle seat. The only time you really feel like you're off the track on the wing seat is on the brake run. While I had the pain everyone does, it has not lingered. My walk in NYC yesterday? That pain is lingering and that, along with severe dehydration, kept me home from work today.

I didn't really eat when we stopped for the BBQ, but I did find, in an adjacent restaurant, awesome onion rings to tide me over. I also found..at two separate locations, actually..something rare at a park: Fresh brewed, unsweetened iced tea, not the crap from the dispenser. They even had fresh lemon and Sweet-n-Low to go with it.

I actually rode a boomerang twice in a row...Jen's not kidding about the new restraints. They're terrific.

Lightning Racer did not seem to be as fast as usual during or closing marathon (about 7-8 rides.) But it's still my favorite night ride.

I'll also include here a coupla notes from Knoebels, at which I joined Judy, Kendra and Calvin the next day.

I moved Twister from #10 0n my wood coaster rankings to #7, based on 6 awesone rides. This coaster, which I consider way better than Phoenix, has surprises galore, and never disappoints.

Kozmo's Kurves is a worthy successor to the High Speed Thrill Coaster that used to occupy the spot, yanking me out of my seat.

In it's previous incarnation as Golden Nugget, Black Diamond had to have been one of my first coasters. I enjoyed it in its new incarnation. All the effects seemed to be working, and there;s a revolving tunnel that blew me away. I found it strange that there's little or no signage of the ride's name, and the building has virtually no theming..looks like a warehouse. Had the best french fries ever at an amusement park (and YES, I've been to Kennywood.) We had the all-you-can-eat fish fry, and the fish was actually decent. Came with fries (different than the afore-mentioned) or macaroni and chese and rolls, which were NOT all-you-can-eat. This was my first full-fledged visit to Knoebels in at least 4 years, and I enjoyed it, although my breathing and fatigue problems were catching up to me that day. We finished with an awesome-as-always cycle on the bumper cars, which I had almost forgotten about.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by alpengeistno3 at 6/21/12 1:27:05 PM
Awesome job, Jen!! You pretty much captured the whole day. I'm going to play the role of your "hypeman" and highlight some points.

GoYanks34 said:

We entered the park and went straight to Skyrush. It was around 10:30 am (when the rides officially start but they have ERT for season pass holders and hotel guests 1 hour prior) and the line was already a good size. We took advantage of the passes and went right up the elevator. I was sitting on the left wing, second to last row. I was strapped in and ready to go. Our train dispatches and holy crap – it FLIES up the hill (that always freaks me out!) and we hit the top and I made one of the biggest mistakes in my roller coaster riding life – I put my hands up. When we hit the bottom of the initial hill it immediately goes into a violent banked turn. My lower body went one way and my upper body went the other. I felt something snap on my right side. The restraints became so tight they hurt terribly. I held on for the remainder of the ride but it was too late. The forces on that coaster are so intense that until one knows the layout it’s like riding the worst, painful overbanked woodie on speed (and we all know how much I LOVE them, LOL). I never even noticed that I was on a wing seat – there was no time to enjoy that or even look around. I was too busy trying to figure out how to not sever my spinal cord. Then we were on the track waiting to get to the station for 12 minutes – my thighs pulsating from the pain of the restraints – they press right on the upper middle thigh – a very sensitive area. I can say I HATED it and don’t understand why they would build something so vicious at Hershey.


I totally agree with your initial assessment of Skyrush. I think I have enough info to break all the issues with this ride down right now, but the forums being down has allowed me to be fair and wait until after my ACE ERT next weekend. You were way "nicer" than I would have been if I had had the chance to post on Friday morning like I had planned. Bottom line, chalk this one up as another "Intamin" mistake. (Ironically, a good number of these mistakes seem to fall in the $25 million price range. Hmmmm...)

GoYanks34 said:

Paul then suggested that we head to the other side of the park since everyone was flocked over by Comet and SkR (will use this for Skyrush since SR is for Storm Runner).

From reading other TR's and looking at our day, it would be advisable to skip Skyrush in the morning altogether and just ride the heck out of Storm Runner and Fahrenheit. Of course, you run the risk of Skyrush not re-opening, so considering it is a new Intamin, I must caution, do this at your own risk!!

GoYanks34 said:

We got off and Mike, Judy, Calvin and Kendra were already off since they went in another row. We begged to ride again like children (mom, dad – can we please go on again? Please, please??!!).

Lol, classic!!

GoYanks34 said:

There wasn’t much arm twisting needed there! I said to Paul maybe we should try that again and see if we can get them to buy us ice cream, LOL! Went back on and this time Mike and I rode the front and Paul and the others rode in the back. Paul seems to think the back is better on SR – he must have been dropped on his head as a baby! :~) Once again a fabulous ride. I mentioned that I was done and I going home now, LOL!

Actually, I find with Intamins, the front is usually better than or equal to the back. There are moments, such as the drop off of the tophat and the pull out of the snake dive that I prefer in the back. All things equal, I would ride either place on Storm Runner as the launch and the rise into the barrel rolls are equally as forceful moments. Try getting me on the front(or the middle :) of a B&M and you will know I have an actual preference!

GoYanks34 said:

We then took a walk to Fahrenheit. There was a decent line – not terrible but too long for the kids to wait in so we used the passes. We got up and were escorted to the middle rows (Paul’s favorite!). It was a decent ride but there was definitely a vibration felt while riding – I think it was Joe who mentioned it in his previous TR. Paul thinks it’s the wheels that need changing. I hope that’s all it is because if it’s going to become a rough coaster over the years that will be a problem. I’m not a huge fan of Fahrenheit but it definitely has its place in the park.

Fahrenheit feels exactly like SFA's Superman towards the end of a season. "Rough" isn't the word I would use to describe it, but there was a definite vibration, especially in the cobra roll and the final corks. I suspect it is a guide wheel, but since we rode in the exact same row both times, I can't really tell for sure if the issue was with the train/car or the actual track.

Since you didn't have a report for Wildcat, I guess I'll have to take over there. The Cat was a little mild that day. I had rides where I felt like that speed bump before the final curve would throw me. It seemed to "ease" into it rather than attacking it like used to. Maybe it's my imagination, maybe it was early morning (though it was around 12:00 when we got there.) I was referring to the ride as the "Kitty Cat" because of this. Otherwise, Cat's claws are still razor sharp and considering the state of her back after Skyrush, Jen was wise to stay away.

GoYanks34 said:

Then we headed to Lightning Racer. We decided we wanted to race each other and since I won’t go on anything red I was on the Thunder side with Paul. We lost :-(. We rode again and we lost again… That coaster is fixed! But what a great coaster it is – I always have so much fun on that one. The last time we rode Mike and Paul were on the Lightning side and we were talking trash whenever the coasters met up – lots of fun!

Lightning has been winning pretty consistently for the last 2 years. When the ride 1st opened, it literally was a matter of which train had the most people/weight. Time has taken its toll and I am convinced that something is scrubbing the speed off of Thunder, whether it be a slight track defect or a train issue. On a slow day where the trains are not fully loaded and the weight is more dependent on the actual weight of the passengers, Thunder can still squeeze out a win.

GoYanks34 said:

We wanted to get lunch and we went to the BBQ place – did you know they took out the real BBQ and put in electric grills?! Blasphemy! (a little info Paul told us). The food was still good although we had to wait 20 minutes for our Texas Taters to be ready – yum!

A travesty that the park did not renew their contract with Freeman's BBQ. The food is still good but it is a slap in the face of any pit master to see all that wood piled up around the grill and see an extension cord running out the side of it!!

GoYanks34 said:

Went up to ride Great Bear and we used the passes. We were ushered to the middle row – I was on the left side and Paul was next to me. The entire ride all I heard was “Now I know why people say GB sucks – it’s because they rode in the middle” and “Not only am I in the middle but I’m in the middle seat too – this sucks”, etc for the ENTIRE ride! I said we will go back on later and wait for the last row but he was not happy, LOL.

I think everyone here knows that the all the action on a B&M invert is in the back on an outside seat. After doing Dorney's Talon this past Tuesday, I am convinced that the sweet spot is on the left side of the train for all of them (loading side for Great Bear). It is certainly true for Alpengeist and Gradv's Batman as well.

GoYanks34 said:

We then walked down to Looper to try the new trains and there was something none of us have ever seen before – a line!

There are pros and cons to the new trains. I thought the ride was smoother than in the past but the way the top head rest is positioned it digs into your shoulder a little. Not terrible though and it rode nicely. The orange trains look so out of place – they need to paint the track another color – it’s definitely not working.

Also, the mid-course trim was not on as hard as it has been in the past, so the final helix was a bit speedier. I have heard magnetic brakes have been added to the final brake run (sitting in the back did not allow me to see them.) Unfortunately, something else you rarely see; the crew was regularly stacking trains. The line was not long at all once we actually got into the station, but I don't believe they achieved cycle once while we were there.

GoYanks34 said:

We were going to take another spin on SkR but it was down. Went down quite a lot throughout the day.

I suspect the issue was with the restraint sensors as they would ask people to get off the train, lock it down and send it empty only to load it the next cycle. As Jen's sign noted, at one point they did remove a train, but it was back in service in less than 20 mins. Good news, the line was never able to get past the 1st stall of the "cattle pen" before people would get out of line. Bad news, the ride went right back down as soon as Jen and I got off, so you better decide whether you are willing to sit it out if it does go down (I counted no less than 5 times throughout the day and that was only when we were in the area of front of the park and Chocolate World.)

GoYanks34 said:

Took a spin on Trailblazer (walk on) and headed back to Storm Runner. Waited for my front row with Mike and Paul went and got a rear seat. Trying to prove some sort of point he ran around and jumped back on and rode 2x before we rode once (we only had 4 trains in front of us but the rear rows were true walk ons). My point is I will take one front row ride to two last row rides any day of the week and twice on Sunday! The front is the place to be as far as I’m concerned.

No point was trying to be made. I just decided to apply the "Lays" principal and not just settle for one ride :)


GoYanks34 said:

Then we headed to Side Winder to test the new trains out. Mike and I jumped in the back row and Paul, Judy and the others went for the front. I prefer the back on shuttles. Now, let’s talk about the new restraints – AWESOME!!!!!! They have this rubber vest that is extremely comfortable and I tried to hit my head on the side bars while waiting and I could barely touch the top of my scalp! Simply awesome! I stayed on and rode again while the others walked off (there was no line and hardly anyone waiting so I jumped in the second to last row). When I got off Paul and Mike were back on line motioning me to come back on. Paul wanted me to try the front. I did and while I agree the forces are more intense, the “wee” is less intense so I’ll take my bigger “wee” in the back thank you! You know I’m all about the “wee”! (I can't believe none of us got pics of the new restraints! - oops!)

I just wanted to prove my point to you and Mike that the front and back of Boomerangs are not the same (I think it was him who uttered that false statement which grates my ears as much as ride ops who claim all the seatbelts are the same length!) The return run is significantly stronger in force than the outboard run due the station causing friction, so if you are in the "front" of the train, it becomes the "back" when you come back around the strongest part. It is even more apparent on Invertigos as there are near black out forces coming out of the cobra roll (as my ride on Stinger at Dorney reminded me since Two Face has been gone for years).

GoYanks34 said:

We met at SkR and had about a 15 minute wait. This time we both took wing seats in the back (I was on the right this time) and I had a lot of trouble being able to push the bar out enough and be comfortable. It didn’t help that my hair clip started falling out and I had to grab it, leaving me one hand to hold on with. The wing seats are more intense I suppose and I won’t ride them again. Not worth it IMO. The only difference between the wing seats and middle seats is more pain.

As for my final review of Skyrush – it is a violent coaster (you call it intense, I call it violent!) and causes too much pain to be enjoyable. Paul and I were talking on the way out of the park and discussed how you have to put so much energy into trying to ride it properly as to not get your thighs crushed or your body beaten up that you can’t really enjoy the ride. I never even noticed a difference in view on the wing seats – I was too busy trying not to die. I give it a thumbs down and could care less if I ever ride it again. Now, as for the people who were upset that it ruins the Comet Hollow section – no it doesn’t. The only thing it ruins is Comet. It is kept out of the way and I think the integrity of that area remains. It has actually brought more people to that side of the park (see line for Looper). That’s a great thing since SR is still my favorite and to practically walk on every ride was a beautiful thing!

I rode in the middle seats the 1st time and had the same problem with the restraints as you did on the wings. My jaw did connect with the side of the seat towards the end when I was on the wing the 2nd time on some trick track that leaned one way then suddenly banked the other after the Stengal dive. I don't want to over analyze the ride here since I only rode it 3 times, all towards the rear of the train, but it did seem to require a huge effort to keep from being constricted or decapitated by the ride. And it is way too short. No way I would want to wait an hour plus for that on a hot summer day!

As for the Comet Hollow, the views of Comet from the midway are obscured by Skyrush towering all over it. No debate there. However, the ride is positioned so it is nearly invisible to any other view of the Hollow. So unless you walk through there staring at Comet the whole time, you don't even notice it. And with the minimalistic lift support, the only thing that could even remotely be called an eyesore is the apex of the lift and the brake run. The station blends in perfectly with the bathrooms it sits on top of. The queue is conveniently positioned to the side of the station downhill from the rest of the Midway. I just don't see the visual issue.

GoYanks34 said:

She thinks they will get me to Dorney – LMAO!!! She’s a funny lady!

Demon Drop, Demon Drop, Demon Drop!!! :)

The trip was a blast. Great hanging out with all of you. Hopefully we can get more for our next Gradv trip.

Paul

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/21/12 2:18:43 PM
So bummed I missed this trip :( sounded like an awesome time. Even if Sky Rush is a pain to ride, I still realllllllly want to ride it at some point. Hopefully I'm not turned down for my height. I love Hershey, hopefully I can hit it up before october this season.

and one more thing...I LOVE WILDCAT!! lol ;)

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by alpengeistno3 at 6/21/12 4:21:08 PM
mugen828 said:

So bummed I missed this trip :( sounded like an awesome time. Even if Sky Rush is a pain to ride, I still realllllllly want to ride it at some point. Hopefully I'm not turned down for my height. I love Hershey, hopefully I can hit it up before october this season.


and one more thing...I LOVE WILDCAT!! lol ;)

Good or bad, there is no doubt change is coming to Skyrush. I have already been informed that some of the lazy susan bins have been switched out for more standard boxes, so it shows Hershey in not oblivious to the comments on the ride. Hopefully, it will be to the restraints and not the actual ride.

Paul

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/21/12 4:29:39 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Good or bad, there is no doubt change is coming to Skyrush. I have already been informed that some of the lazy susan bins have been switched out for more standard boxes, so it shows Hershey in not oblivious to the comments on the ride. Hopefully, it will be to the restraints and not the actual ride.

Paul

Unless the changes to the ride were taking out the horrible, twisting, overbanked, back breaking turns and putting in lots and lots of hills! :~)

I guess the boxed bin we saw near the front row was the beginning of the lazy susan removal. Good - that thing was a pain in the ass (FYI: they do let you wear fanny packs on the ride). As for the restraints, they need something that will hold your waist - the problem is you are so stapled in from the thighs down that your upper body has way too much room to flail about and break! I'm surprised no one has been seriously injured yet.

Jen

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 *NM* by alpengeistno3 at 6/21/12 5:17:46 PM
.

* This post was modified at 6/21/12 5:22:03 PM *

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by alpengeistno3 at 6/21/12 5:23:00 PM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:


Good or bad, there is no doubt change is coming to Skyrush. I have already been informed that some of the lazy susan bins have been switched out for more standard boxes, so it shows Hershey in not oblivious to the comments on the ride. Hopefully, it will be to the restraints and not the actual ride.

Paul

Unless the changes to the ride were taking out the horrible, twisting, overbanked, back breaking turns and putting in lots and lots of hills! :~)

*still holding tongue*
That is a big part of my dissertation I have been putting together in my head for "breaking this ride down". People have compared it to I-305 (for the turns) and El Toro (for the airtime), but I say it is more comparable to taking Magnum, keeping the 1st drop at 200 feet, dropping it immediately into the return run at 70 mph and throw in some Steel Phantom's awkward transitions. Everything about the layout for this ride was just so "wrong" that none of it turned out well. It is amazing that someone at Hershey signed off on that layout as a good idea.

Paul

* This post was modified at 6/21/12 5:24:30 PM *

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/21/12 5:52:19 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:


Good or bad, there is no doubt change is coming to Skyrush. I have already been informed that some of the lazy susan bins have been switched out for more standard boxes, so it shows Hershey in not oblivious to the comments on the ride. Hopefully, it will be to the restraints and not the actual ride.

Paul

Unless the changes to the ride were taking out the horrible, twisting, overbanked, back breaking turns and putting in lots and lots of hills! :~)

*still holding tongue*
That is a big part of my dissertation I have been putting together in my head for "breaking this ride down". People have compared it to I-305 (for the turns) and El Toro (for the airtime), but I say it is more comparable to taking Magnum, keeping the 1st drop at 200 feet, dropping it immediately into the return run at 70 mph and throw in some Steel Phantom's awkward transitions. Everything about the layout for this ride was just so "wrong" that none of it turned out well. It is amazing that someone at Hershey signed off on that layout as a good idea.

Paul

Ouch. you guys are shredding this ride! is it because it's in such a small area? It looks like a mini I-305 to me. Fast and furious but not a bunch of airtime.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/21/12 6:06:10 PM
mugen828 said:


Ouch. you guys are shredding this ride! is it because it's in such a small area? It looks like a mini I-305 to me. Fast and furious but not a bunch of airtime.

I couldn't tell if there was air time or not - I was in too much pain or too busy concentrating on how to prevent pain. I think the small area has a lot to do with it - they tried to do way too much in a way too small footprint.

Jen

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/21/12 6:08:34 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

*still holding tongue*
That is a big part of my dissertation I have been putting together in my head for "breaking this ride down". People have compared it to I-305 (for the turns) and El Toro (for the airtime), but I say it is more comparable to taking Magnum, keeping the 1st drop at 200 feet, dropping it immediately into the return run at 70 mph and throw in some Steel Phantom's awkward transitions. Everything about the layout for this ride was just so "wrong" that none of it turned out well. It is amazing that someone at Hershey signed off on that layout as a good idea.

Paul

The difference I actually enjoy riding Magnum and El Toro (and NO WAY can you compare it to the air time ET provides). Never rode Steel Phantom so I can't comment on that one.

Jen

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by alpengeistno3 at 6/22/12 12:42:14 AM
mugen828 said:

Ouch. you guys are shredding this ride! is it because it's in such a small area? It looks like a mini I-305 to me. Fast and furious but not a bunch of airtime.

On paper, it looked like Skyrush would be I-305. The reality of actually riding it is there is not enough space to draw out those curves and big air time hills, so it winds out just bucking you around, vertically and laterally. Jen may disagree, but it is a "good" ride that could be great if it didn't hurt so bad (ie, the restraints tightening up on you to cut off circulation.)

I compare it to my back seat ride on Georgia Cyclone back when Goliath was 1st built. The airtime going over the drops was amazing, but the hard plastic seats made each one more painful, to the point I was saying "oh no, not another one!"

I like extreme rides as much as any enthusiast, but when the ride HURTS to the point where you are praying for it to be over, there is something wrong.

Paul

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 6/23/12 1:18:48 PM
Glad I checked here and RRC before booking airfare. Between my initial plan of visiting HP when Knoebels was closed and now Skyrush looking like a potential waste (until they change it) I'm gonna wait until next year and hope they fix the issues.

It you have to "work" to enjoy something, it becomes UNfun for me.

It's been over 10 years since I've been there, so I was looking forward to 3 NEW Intamin's to ride. But if I wait until 2013, Flying Turns will also definitely be open :)

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 6/24/12 2:52:37 PM
Now that I will have people back me up, I can say it.
Right now, Skyrush stinks !!

SR is over a bit too soon. Of course, Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster are over in a flash also, but their drops are totally insane (not a bad thing). I am hoping to get more of a longer rush from Xcelerator late next year.

Since I didn't notice a vibration on either of two rides on it, Fahrenheit was my favorite steel this time around.

Wildcat is less aggressive than Gwazi. Both had the Millennium Flyer trains put on after
running several years with the 6 car 2x2 Philadelphia Toboggan trains. I have heard people say that the rougher ones have already torn up the track.

The best wild mouse is like saying the best kick in the stomach. I rode it only to say that I rode all 12 in one day. Maybe someone else cares; I only liked the short line.

If you want to talk fun, say Lightning Racer. Lightning side won every time; oh well.
I still rode it about four times each side.

I like many flat rides. Kissing Tower, Coal Cracker, Monorail, and Skyview were good this time
and last. Somewhere in there, I rode those. I had to add to my collection so I got a keychain
from here.

Sidewinder and SDL have gotten better, with the big improvements being the restraints.
I would like to see new trains on Mind Bender at SFOG. Last year it seemed much rougher than
in times past.

I like Comet's short little bunny hops at the end. I can only think of two woodens who have those that are better (Phoenix at Knoebels and American Thunder at SFSTL).

I rode Skyrush twice first thing. If it was going to take me more times than that to get it right, the thing might split me in half. I gave it a shot, back and front, inside and outside. By 11:30 the line was nuts. By 5:30 it was down and never re-opened.

----------------------------------------------------------

* This post was modified at 6/24/12 3:07:35 PM *

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 7/2/12 10:11:11 PM
Hey sorry I couldn't make it, I would have loved to meet up with you guys. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Skyrush but I guess as they say different strokes for different folks. I guess I like being thrown around like a rag doll, lol.
Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/2/12 10:30:05 PM
hersheyworker said:

Hey sorry I couldn't make it, I would have loved to meet up with you guys. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Skyrush but I guess as they say different strokes for different folks. I guess I like being thrown around like a rag doll, lol.

We'll go back next year and we can plan farther in advance so more people can make it.

I really do have this strange desire to conquer that coaster even though it kicked my ass 3 times. It's one thing when I choose not to ride something because I don't like it (Wildcat) but another when I feel I can't handle it. Which is why I tortured myself 3 times after breaking my back (not the smartest move). I'll figure it out someday (although I may end up in a body cast trying!).

Jen

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 7/21/12 10:34:16 PM
GoYanks34 said:

hersheyworker said:

Hey sorry I couldn't make it, I would have loved to meet up with you guys. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Skyrush but I guess as they say different strokes for different folks. I guess I like being thrown around like a rag doll, lol.

We'll go back next year and we can plan farther in advance so more people can make it.

I really do have this strange desire to conquer that coaster even though it kicked my ass 3 times. It's one thing when I choose not to ride something because I don't like it (Wildcat) but another when I feel I can't handle it. Which is why I tortured myself 3 times after breaking my back (not the smartest move). I'll figure it out someday (although I may end up in a body cast trying!).

Jen

That would be nice, it would be fun to have some riders with me. Sorry it took so long to respond.

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 7/22/12 5:56:05 AM
hersheyworker said:

That would be nice, it would be fun to have some riders with me. Sorry it took so long to respond.

Hersheyworker, is GAdv doable for you? You could join us there in August (see other thread from Jen)

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by squirrels at 7/23/12 8:48:14 AM
Has anyone ridden SkyRush in the last couple weeks? Hershey apparently put some new restraint padding on the trains and I was wondering if anyone had a chance to test it out. I was really looking forward to this coaster but don't want to drag myself and the wife up there for a painful disappointment.
Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by alpengeistno3 at 7/23/12 1:31:31 PM
squirrels said:

Has anyone ridden SkyRush in the last couple weeks? Hershey apparently put some new restraint padding on the trains and I was wondering if anyone had a chance to test it out. I was really looking forward to this coaster but don't want to drag myself and the wife up there for a painful disappointment.

We got a sample for the Rush to the Sky event held in late June. Train 1 was done, train 2 still had the old restraint material. It was a little softer, but still did not really change the fact that the restraints continue to lock down on you throughout the ride. A few people found it more acceptable, but the vast majority opinion was that it didn't help. If your wife is not a fan of masochistic airtime, she is not going to pleased regardless.

You can read my EXTENSIVE review of the ride in "My complete breakdown of Skyrush" below.

Paul

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/23/12 7:10:56 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

If your wife is not a fan of masochistic airtime, she is not going to pleased regardless.

Paul

LMAO! Very well stated!

Jen

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 7/27/12 9:26:56 PM
beastmaster said:

hersheyworker said:


That would be nice, it would be fun to have some riders with me. Sorry it took so long to respond.

Hersheyworker, is GAdv doable for you? You could join us there in August (see other thread from Jen)

Mike

It would be if I had a car that ran well in the summer. I appreciate the offer but I think I will wait until next year when I have more vacation time at work.

Re: Hershey Park URC TR 6-14-12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 7/27/12 10:43:00 PM
hersheyworker said:

beastmaster said:

hersheyworker said:


That would be nice, it would be fun to have some riders with me. Sorry it took so long to respond.

Hersheyworker, is GAdv doable for you? You could join us there in August (see other thread from Jen)

Mike

It would be if I had a car that ran well in the summer. I appreciate the offer but I think I will wait until next year when I have more vacation time at work.

And like I said we will plan better and more in advance next year so we can accommodate more people and give them more notice to take a day off if need be. This year with Sky Rush opening we wanted to wait and make sure it was opening on time before settling on a date but I definitely want to do it sometime in early/mid June again since the crowds were very light and the weather was perfect.

Jen