Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America

Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
6/19/12 at
4:21:08 PM

On Wednesday June 13th we woke up early and drove 2 hours to Six Flags Great America. We arrived at the park at 9:45, 15 minutes before opening. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, I knew this was going to be a crowded day. My only other visit to this park was in 2001 and that day was very crowded. This was my kids first visit to the park and I warned them about the crowds, but I never thought it would be this bad.

We hustled back to X Flight. We were directed into the right wing and could have been on in 15 minutes. The kids wanted to wait for front seat and that took an additional 30 minutes. I'm actually glad we did get front. The ride is well themed, and they did a really good job on it. The ride itself is good. It has better positive G's than I was expecting, but the inversions weren't as good. The zero g roll through the control tower is amazing. Raging Bull is still my favorite coaster at this park, but X Flight is a close 2nd. X Flight probably ranks in my low 20's on my steel coaster list. The theming adds to the ride experience.

Next up was Viper. We waited 30 minutes for middle of the train. Viper is running great. Smooth, full of air time, and just a great wooden coaster. In 2001 I rode it once in the front, and I think its running even better now.

Whizzed was our next stop. I didn't ride this last time I was there. We waited 30 minutes and got the back seat. The ride was smooth, but not very thrilling. I still enjoyed it.

We then headed for Raging Bull. They were only running 2 trains. In 2001 I rode Raging Bull 5 Times. Wasn't going to happen on this visit. The kids wanted to wait for front seat, so we did. 1 hour and 20 minutes later we got our ride. Still a great ride, but they trim the heck out of the whole ride. Because of that, it's my least favorite of the 7 B&M hypers I've ridden. It's probably the most unique though.

Next was Superman Ultimate Flight. This was a new coaster for me and it completed the trio of Superman B&M Flyers for me. After 45 minutes we grabbed the back seat. I liked it better than the one at Great Adventure, but not as much as the one in Georgia. I'm still glad we added it and the kids love those flying coasters.

We walked around the park trying to find short lines. Not happening. By this time evey thing was a hour wait or more, even kiddie coasters. I have never seen a park so crowded in all my years and all my travels. My daughter wanted to ride Dark Knight, aka Mouse in a Box. Mike is going to fall off his chair, but we waited 1 hour and 10 minutes. I did get another credit and my daughter loved it, but 70 minutes for Mouse in a Box.

Our last ride of the day was V2. Another Intamin inverted shuttle. This was the new ride last time I was there and was broke down most of the day, so this was also a new coaster for me. The kids wanted to wait for front seat and a hour and 30 minutes later, we got our front seat ride.

Last time I was there I did ride Batman, Demon, American Eagle, Shockwave, and Iron Wolf. Shockwave and Iron Wolf are gone, but we didn't get to ride the other 3 on this trip either. We also missed out on Ragin Cajun and Little Dipper. The park was just too crowded.

We drove to South Bend IN that night, then drove home the next day. A total of 2,340 miles for the trip and $1,850 in total cost. Not one drop of rain while we were in the parks or driving. A trip full of memories that will last a lifetime.

Thanks for reading.

Ken

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/20/12 7:10:33 PM
Well, Ken, that was some trip!

I know, 'cause I read every word; I like your style!

Concise, to the point, and yet you managed to provide specific details about the rides as well as your experiences on them and even how your children reacted.

Good reads, all.

* This post was modified at 6/20/12 7:11:20 PM *

Mike B.
Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/20/12 10:09:29 PM
MABrider said:

Well, Ken, that was some trip!

I know, 'cause I read every word; I like your style!

Concise, to the point, and yet you managed to provide specific details about the rides as well as your experiences on them and even how your children reacted.

Good reads, all.

Thanks Mike. We had a wonderful time. I try to keep my TRS short, but I still try to include the whole experience. Thanks for reading.

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/21/12 12:32:18 PM
Awesome trip reports Ken! I am still so mad at myself that I didn't go to some of those parks while I was in school in Iowa. Stopped at the Mall of America once on my way to the Yankees-Twins playoff game b/c the friend I was with wanted to stop at IKEA. Should've stopped at the amusement park instead! I still have lots of friends there begging me to come back and visit so when I do I'll be sure to get at least one or two of those parks in.

Jen

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/21/12 1:43:27 PM
Sounds like an awesomeeee trip. I like your writing style because it's you! I'd be more into hearing about some fun little happenings or funny moments, but I like how and what you write as is.

Awesome that you hit so many parks!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/21/12 2:22:40 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. All 6 parks were high quality, in the upper half of the parks I've visited. I'll probably do the a similar trip in 5 to 10 years, and add a few parks into the mix. As far as anything humorous or bizarre happening, I really can't think of anything. The trip was pretty structured and mostly everything went according to plan.

I do need to give credit to my kids. Their behavior was exceptional. If an argument did arise, it was over within a matter of seconds. I tried to drive directly through the big cities so they could see sport's stadiums, the Arch in St Louis, the Sears Tower, etc. My son did inform me that The Sears Tower has a new name. Now, if I can only figure out how to transfer that good behavior to everyday home life.

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by ray_p ray_p Profile at 6/21/12 6:39:00 PM
frontrow said:

Thanks for reading.

No Ken, thank you for writing a great series of TR's. Sounds like you had an exhausting trip, but it also sounded like it was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing the experiences with us.

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/21/12 7:17:31 PM
Thanks Ray. I appreciate it.
Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 6/22/12 11:30:23 AM
How were the dispatches on X Flight and Raging Bull? From my last visit in 2005 they were always very good at dispatching on Bull, having a train leave the station just prior to a train hitting the mid-course.

Love SFGAm and hoping for a trip there mid-July. Looks like I'll have to get a Flash Pass when I go as that park is guaranteed to be packed.

BTW, what a trip you made. Too bad you couldn't hit Adventureland. That park as intrigued me for years and I've read that it's a nice park despite not having any stand-out coasters.

G-Dog

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/22/12 12:14:35 PM
Geauga_Dog said:

How were the dispatches on X Flight and Raging Bull? From my last visit in 2005 they were always very good at dispatching on Bull, having a train leave the station just prior to a train hitting the mid-course.

Love SFGAm and hoping for a trip there mid-July. Looks like I'll have to get a Flash Pass when I go as that park is guaranteed to be packed.

BTW, what a trip you made. Too bad you couldn't hit Adventureland. That park as intrigued me for years and I've read that it's a nice park despite not having any stand-out coasters.

G-Dog

They were only running 2 trains on Raging Bull and the staff wasn't in any hurry, to say the least. The X Flight crew was dispatching trains pretty fast. I was impressed with their efforts. We stayed in the park to 7:00, and I never did see X Flight go down, but the line was 2 hours long for most of the day. Other than the X Fight staff, I felt like the whole park was in slow motion. The park was insanely crowded and the ride ops didn't seem to care. Even the food stands and souvenir shops had lines. Even those people where in slow motion also. As I now look back on it, I should have spent the extra cash for 4 flash passes.

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/22/12 10:49:45 PM
frontrow said:

Thanks for the kind words guys. All 6 parks were high quality, in the upper half of the parks I've visited. I'll probably do the a similar trip in 5 to 10 years, and add a few parks into the mix. As far as anything humorous or bizarre happening, I really can't think of anything. The trip was pretty structured and mostly everything went according to plan.

Ie.

I must retract that statement. My son just reminded me of this. As we were going through Cincinnati, I told the kids to pay attention. When you enter Kentucky, they give you a Kentucky welcome. Then I pointed out a water tower that says, Florence Ya'll. The kids got a huge kick out of it.

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #6 Six Flags Great America by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 6/24/12 4:20:18 PM
frontrow said:

On Wednesday June 13th we woke up early and drove 2 hours to Six Flags Great America. We arrived at the park at 9:45, 15 minutes before opening. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, I knew this was going to be a crowded day.

Next up was Viper. We waited 30 minutes for middle of the train. Viper is running great. Smooth, full of air time, and just a great wooden coaster. In 2001 I rode it once in the front, and I think its running even better now.

Whizzed was our next stop. I didn't ride this last time I was there. We waited 30 minutes and got the back seat. The ride was smooth, but not very thrilling. I still enjoyed it.

We then headed for Raging Bull. They were only running 2 trains. In 2001 I rode Raging Bull 5 Times. Wasn't going to happen on this visit. The kids wanted to wait for front seat, so we did. 1 hour and 20 minutes later we got our ride. Still a great ride, but they trim the heck out of the whole ride. Because of that, it's my least favorite of the 7 B&M hypers I've ridden. It's probably the most unique though.

Next was Superman Ultimate Flight. This was a new coaster for me and it completed the trio of Superman B&M Flyers for me. After 45 minutes we grabbed the back seat. I liked it better than the one at Great Adventure, but not as much as the one in Georgia. I'm still glad we added it and the kids love those flying coasters.

we waited 1 hour and 10 minutes. I did get another credit and my daughter loved it, but 70 minutes for Mouse in a Box.

Our last ride of the day was V2. Another Intamin inverted shuttle. This was the new ride last time I was there and was broke down most of the day, so this was also a new coaster for me. The kids wanted to wait for front seat and a hour and 30 minutes later, we got our front seat ride.

Last time I was there I did ride Batman, Demon, American Eagle, Shockwave, and Iron Wolf. Shockwave and Iron Wolf are gone, but we didn't get to ride the other 3 on this trip either. We also missed out on Ragin Cajun and Little Dipper. The park was just too crowded.

Ken

When I went, it was in August. What I have seen of the SF parks, the REALLY BIG cities are always going to have busy parks (Chicago, Philly/NY, LA). You can get a break with Atlanta, Dallas, DC, San Antonio, and St.Louis.

Viper was a big surprise for me. The layout is great. The only catch is it has to be built pretty recently otherwise hold on to your bones, they might shake loose.

I had the same feelings about Whizzed.

Raging Bull was the longest wait whenever I rode. I didn't feel the trims like most people. Nitro is boring; it is worse.

We are thinking the same about SUF too.

That's terrible about Dark Knight. Buy them all shirts instead. That pain will go away as soon as the credit card bill is paid.

The inverted shuttle at Cedar Point stands out. It is taller, smoother, and doesn't break down every hour like most of those do.

This is the best Batman clone by a little bit. American Eagle has an unique layout. I like going face forward almost all the time. You didn't miss much but a little theming with Demon and a long slow line with Little Dipper. So as to not say little again, Ragin Cajun gives BIG pain. There is only one of my credits that is worse than that. Ok, if I think anymore about the total junk I'll start laughing and won't be able to stop. I enjoyed your report.

----------------------------------------------------------

* This post was modified at 6/24/12 4:27:55 PM *