Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis

Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
6/19/12 at
1:10:16 PM

We woke up early and drove 2 hours. We arrived at Six Flags St. Louis at 9:30 am. The park opened at 10:30 am, but being that there was another Six Flags park in our trip, we decided to get season passes. That gave us a hour to get our season passes processed. Well, to my surprise not only is the season pass processing inside the park, but it's in the middle of the park, and they won't let you in early. We basically stood around for a hour, when we could have slept longer. At the rope drop we decided to ride in the morning and get our season passes processed right before we leave.

My last visit to SF St. Louis was in 2001 and my kids first visit. American Thunder was the primary reason for this visit so the front seat of American Thunder was our first ride. We rode the front again and 4 rides in the back seat for a total of 6 rides during the day. Every ride on American Thunder was a walk on. This was Sunday June 10th, so they were running both trains. The ride was amazing. For start to finish, it never let's up, I was really impressed how great the entire ride is. I rank it #9 on my wooden coaster list above coasters like Kentucky Rumbler, The Phoenix, and Lighting Racer. Not only is the ride full of great elements, but it is super smooth. I liked the back seat better than the front. American Thunder really exceeded my high expectations.

Our next ride was on Pandemonium. It's a spinning coaster, and it's the other coaster that was new to me at the park. During this trip we would ride 2 more coasters just like this, but this was the best one of the 3. I do like Steel Dragon at Waldameer a little better. Our wait time was about 15 minutes. The ride was very enjoyable.

Next ride was The Boss. We decided to wait for front seat. Six Flags St.Louis operates their flash pass system in an annoying way. They let flash pass holders enter from the exit, wait one train, and then give them their choice of seats. So even though, they were running 2 trains, the wait time was like if they were running only 1 train. After 45 minutes we climbed aboard. Dion, chitlens73, warned me that The Boss has gotten rough. Back in 2001, it was extremely smooth. The first drop is still great and smooth, but the rest of ride has gotten extremely rough, especially the helix. What a shame. I can't believe they let this once great coaster get into this condition.

Next was Screamin Eagle. We took the front seat for our first ride and walked onto the back twice for a total of 3 rides. This John Allen woodie was running smooth and full of air time. This is another coaster that gained a few spots on my wooden coaster list. If we had more time I would have rode it again. It was my second favorite coaster at the park, with American Thunder being my favorite.

We took 2 rides on Ninja, one in the front and walked onto a middle seat. This Vekoma looped was running good. No head banging. The kids really liked it.

Next we headed for Barman. After a half hour wait for front seat I had to do my very first walk of shame. Just barely didn't fit. In 2001 I did ride it, so it really wasn't that big of a deal. I'm glad my kids got to ride it and like any B&M invert, they loved it.

We then walked onto a middle seat of Runaway Mine Train. It's one of the best mine rides in the country, IMO.

This year they turned Mr. Freeze around backwards. After a 45 minute wait we sat in the second to front/ back car. The ride is better in reverse. It was my oldest son's favorite coaster of the park.

The kids rode the rapids ride and the only flat we rode was Excalibur. This thing was unique and fun. It was one of my favorite flats of the trip, if not my very favorite.

We then had to wait a total of 45 minutes to get our season passes processed in the most unorganized fashion, I've ever seen. We left the park at 6:00 pm and headed for Kansas City.

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/19/12 2:41:04 PM
frontrow said:
Next we headed for Barman.

Yeah, I like to have a drink before I hit that one :)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/19/12 10:28:42 PM
One thing I forgot to mention was how friendly the staff was at Six Flags St. Louis. We were at Holiday World the day before and without question the staff at SF St. Louis was more friendly. On 5 different occasions, employees went out of their way to ask how our day was going, where we were from, what do we think about the park, and other small talk. They really stepped up and made our visit much more enjoyable. By far the best staff of the whole trip.
Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/21/12 10:41:56 AM
frontrow said:

We then walked onto a middle seat of Runaway Mine Train. It's one of the best mine rides in the country, IMO.

Better than the one at SFGAdv?

Jen

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 6/21/12 10:19:53 PM
Great TR. I'm glad to hear that American Thunder and Screamin' Eagle are still running well. Not surprised about The Boss though I didn't find it exremely rough during my visit two years ago, just a bit rough in the turns.

We took 2 rides on Ninja, one in the front and walked onto a middle seat. This Vekoma looped was running good. No head banging. The kids really liked it.

I don't get the hatred that Vekoma loopers get. While not a stellar layout, Ninja wasn't bad at all. Just have to watch out for that insane headchopper.

River King Mine Train is excellent. Count me in as one of the fans of this mine train.

This year they turned Mr. Freeze around backwards. After a 45 minute wait we sat in the second to front/ back car. The ride is better in reverse.

I'm jealous ;).

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 6/23/12 2:57:46 PM
Wait you didn't like The Boss. That is my favorite ride there. But I knew you would like American Thunder in the back. You get so much airtime that is unbelievable. Batman gets worse the more you ride it.
Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/23/12 3:57:34 PM
rollercoastersfreak said:

Wait you didn't like The Boss. That is my favorite ride there. But I knew you would like American Thunder in the back. You get so much airtime that is unbelievable. Batman gets worse the more you ride it.

I still think the Boss is a good coaster. It has a great layout, nice drops, and one of the best first drops. I just can't believe how rough it has gotten. In 2001, I rode it 4 times. It was one of the smoothest wooden coasters I've ridden. I think if they would fix that double helix, the rest of the ride would be tolerable. I probably came across very negative because I was disappointed, just wasn't expecting it to be that rough.

Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/23/12 8:21:16 PM
Your trip report makes me want to visit the park.

frontrow said:

Six Flags St.Louis operates their flash pass system in an annoying way. They let flash pass holders enter from the exit, wait one train, and then give them their choice of seats. So even though, they were running 2 trains, the wait time was like if they were running only 1 train.

That's really inexcusable. I like the concept of FlashPass, but not the type of implementation. During my visit to Six Flags Over Texas last week I experienced some problems with FlashPass as well, like empty seats going out on the New Texas Giant because the attendant at the line merge wasn't sending enough people up to the platform.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 6/23/12 9:22:02 PM
I liked how Cedar Point does their Flash Pass. It gets annoying at SFStL when I'm waiting for the front of Boss for a half hour and someone gets right up and on. Cedar Point just has a better system.
Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/23/12 9:41:38 PM
I have no problem with flash pass or fast lane users merging into the loading station. The way Six Flags St. Louis operates is very annoying. I believe the reason they operate in this manor is due to a quick solution. They didn't take the time or effort in to making a separate entrance for flash pass users. The Boss isn't the only coaster that has this method. Screamin Eagle, Mr. Freeze, Batman, Ninja, and American Thunder also have this method. This is something the park will have to fix in the near future.
Re: Midwest coaster trip. Part #2 Six Flags St. Louis by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/24/12 1:04:24 PM
FlashPass isn't going anywhere, so what's annoying is the fact that Six Flags hasn't budgeted queue line improvements for all the rides it exists on.

It's not temporary, so it should be implemented correctly.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator