Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Trip Report: Cedar Point 06/13/2012

Trip Report: Cedar Point 06/13/2012

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
6/19/12 at
10:31:05 AM

Place: Cedar Point (Sandusky, OH)
Date: Wednesday June 13, 2012
Weather: Sunny with temps in the high 60’s
Crowds: moderate
Closed Rides: Space Spiral
Time Spent at Park: 1:00 PM to 4:45 PM

With the weather as great as it was last week, I took a half day off of work on Wednesday and headed out to the Point for a few hours on an absolutely beautiful day. Crowds were moderate, with the main parking lot appearing to be about 60% full. But when I saw the large number of buses, I decided that the first thing I would do upon entering the park is to buy a FastLane wristbandnd. While I didn't use it to its fullest potential, it did save me quite a bit of waiting, especially on the “Big 3”.

Since I parked in the Soak City lot, I rode Gemini first as I did not ride last season. Posted wait time was 30 minutes, FastLane got me on in about 3 minutes. Gemini was running great and despite the final trims being on before the helix, the ride was smooth and speedy. The trains looked like they were painted this year and as a whole, the ride is still one of my all-time favorites.

Headed over to Mean Streak next and the posted wait was 15 minutes. FastLane made it a walk on. Allow me to say this. Mean Streak was running the best it has in a LONG time. It's still not a great ride, but the train wasn't shuffling anywhere near as bad as it used to. The first half of the ride was really good, even better than both woodies at Canada's Wonderland. The second half was sort of slow and there was a little bit of shuffling around the turns. Regardless, I enjoyed my ride and it was a pleasant surprise after so many years of awfulness.

Maverick was my next stop and this is where I had my first wait with FastLane. Posted wait was 75 minutes. It took me 15 minutes to board using FastLane, which means I wasn't the only one in the park that shelled out extra cash to cut in front of the unwashed masses. This being the case, I think they need to raise the price even more. I shouldn't have to wait 15 minutes when I am a FastLane user. (Please note: the previous comment was an attempt at sarcasm/humor and is not meant to imply that I am an elitist!) In any case, Maverick seemed a bit rough this year. The horseshoe roll had some noticeable vibration, and the post-launch track seemed way rougher than usual. The water bombs were back up this year, but overall, I was a bit disappointed in Maverick. Maybe it was also the completely lethargic crew who seemed like they’d rather be anywhere else other than the Maverick loading platform. Perhaps later in the season things will be better.

After exiting Maverick, I headed across the way to Skyhawk which had about a 3 cycle actual wait, so with my minimal patience, I walked on using FastLane. Skyhawk was its usual self, swinging back and forth 9 times and providing awesome airtime. I felt a little nauseous afterwards, so perhaps I am getting old!

Walked down Frontier Trail to Millennium Force with its 75 minute posted wait. Had to search for the FastLane entrance as it wasn't well-marked (it's right next to Panda Express) and was pleased to have only a 5 minute wait. Having just ridden Leviathan 3 weeks ago, I have to say that Leviathan is a better ride during the daytime hours. MF was also running rather rough, and it certainly doesn't dish out the airtime like Leviathan does. I'll be back for HalloWeekends night rides though, which is where MF really shines.

I was going to ride Iron Dragon but decided against it when I saw the line stretched past the stairs. They need to add FastLane here as I don't feel I should have to wait in a regular line (Again, humor/sarcasm). The Iron Dragon midway looks very odd this year with the Wildcat being gone and a hideous looking stage dominating the area. Honestly, it is just as ugly as the old big screen in my opinion. I'm sure at night it will look awesome, but by day, it is a true eyesore.

Headed to WindSeeker and took a spin. There was only a one cycle wait, so I passed on using the FastLane entrance. WindSeeker has become a favorite of mine, and the view at the top is stunning. I got the "Star Trek" theme to accompany my trip. Good stuff and pretty much the only extended view you can get of the park from this height since Space Spiral was down and will allegedly be gone next year.

Rode Raptor, whose posted wait was 30 minutes. FastLane was about a 5 minute wait as the line is merged on the stairs leading to the station. Raptor as usual was intense, rather rough, and did I mention intense? The cobra roll was especially vicious. Still a classic ride. Hard to believe Raptor is 18 already.

Took my usual lap on Cedar Downs. Can't say anything bad about it other than the music is still lame and it is still stuck in my head for days afterward.

Walked back to Top Thrill Dragster, where the posted wait was 90 minutes. With FastLane, the wait was 15 minutes, which again sort of annoyed me. And speaking of annoying, the employee who asked "how was your ride?" was the most annoying guy in Sandusky. I don't know what language he was speaking (I think it was English, but you couldn't tell what the hell he was saying), and he had a very condescending tone to his voice. As far as the ride goes, TTD is still a fun ride. It certainly isn't worth a 90 minute wait though. During my short time at the park, it seemed to be running consistently, which is a rare occurrence.

I ended my visit with a trip on Magnum. FastLane got me on in 5 minutes (posted wait was 30 minutes). I actually think this was the best ride of the day. Riding in a non-axle seat, Magnum is a smooth and amazingly airtime filled ride. The third hill has to rank as one of the best airtime hills anywhere. Truly awesome stuff.

I didn't see the new dinosaur exhibit, but there are a few sample dinos throughout the park and they look pretty lame. The park was very clean, yet my opinion of CP employees remains unchanged. Many of them are far from friendly, a big change from what I encountered up at Wonderland. Maverick's crew was pretty uninspired, MF had a very uninterested group of folks working there, and as mentioned earlier, Dragster guy was a tool. FastLane is awesome though. It does decrease the wait times, but on busy days, I wonder if the FL lines will be 30 minutes or more. Other small changes included the re-routing of Iron Dragon’s entrance, Power Tower’s entrance was moved next to the Super Himalaya, there are new lockers, Blue Streak got a nice coat of paint, and maXair finally got a much needed queue extension.

Even after all the negatives, I still had fun. The weather was simply amazing and thanks to FastLane, I got on plenty of rides in 3 and a half hours. Looking forward to returning in September for HalloWeekends.

No pics this time, but I did make a video. Be warned it’s almost 9 minutes of random ride footage.

Thanks for reading, and I’m glad the forums are back in business!

Re: Trip Report: Cedar Point 06/13/2012 by kdleader kdleader Profile at 6/19/12 2:33:51 PM
Your trip was during my 4-night stay at CP. Sunday and Monday crowds were light but Tuesday through Thursday they were moderate, as you state.

Prior to leaving for CP I went online to see about the Platinum Pass for my oldest son. My youngest and I already picked ours up at KD earlier this year. While looking I noticed Tuesday and Wednesday's are listed as ERT for Platinum Pass holders. Tueday, June 12 was MF and Wednesday, June 13 was TTD. The ERT starts when the regular lines are depleted after the park's closing time and continues for 30 minutes. This new ERT will run throughout the summer.

We rode MF and TTD six times each during the ERT. There were only about 100 people each night taking advantage of the ERT and this tapered down to about 50 when the ERT ended. Near the end of the MF ERT we would get off the train that we just rode, cross over to the loading station, and hop on the train that came in just before our train. I do notice some vibration going on while riding (mostly the red train).

Unlike your experience, the employees were very energetic during the ERT. The employees left no impresson upon me (good or bad) during regular operating hours.

Had I already had my oldest son's pass prior to this or just waited to get to CP to purchase it I would have never known about this new ERT for platinum passes.

There are also several great food deals for platinum pass holders (much better than what I recall from past years).

Re: Trip Report: Cedar Point 06/13/2012 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/20/12 11:37:13 AM
Another nice report, Ray.

Questions: how has CP incorporated the fast lane entrances?
Are they separate/new?
Do they work the same per ride?
Can you choose your seats?

Mike B.
Re: Trip Report: Cedar Point 06/13/2012 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/20/12 1:29:19 PM
Great TR Ray and another fantastic video. I guess fast lane is the way to go. Here is my dilemma with fast lane or flash pass type charge. I save up a certain amount of money during the winter months which is usually around $3,000. When we were at Six Flags Great American on June 13th, the crowd was insane. I was so tempted to buy flash passes. I would have had to pay for 4 flash passes, which that would have eliminated a park later in the summer. I refuse to go in debt or touch my savings account. I try to get as many parks in during the summer as I can on the money we have saved for our coaster trips. What is eventually going to happen is that we will be going to less parks and buying the fast passes. In the last 3 seasons we have been to 25 different parks and we still have 4 to 6 more to hit this summer. If I buy fast lane passes or flash passes, this won't be a possibility. It's a decision that I'll have to make if we are going to visit some of the more crowded parks.
Re: Trip Report: Cedar Point 06/13/2012 by ray_p ray_p Profile at 6/20/12 3:09:39 PM
MABrider said:

Are they separate/new?

The FastLane entrances are new at each ride. Depending on the ride, they either merge at the loading platform, or close to it. Maverick and Millennium Force enter from the opposite side of the station as the GP whereas Raptor, Magnum and Dragster all merge before the station. They do work the same per ride and yes you can choose your seats since you are merged into the line rather than going up the exit ramp and taking whatever seat you want.

Hope that helps!

Re: Trip Report: Cedar Point 06/13/2012 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/20/12 7:15:55 PM
ray_p said:

MABrider said:

Are they separate/new?

The FastLane entrances are new at each ride. Depending on the ride, they either merge at the loading platform, or close to it. Maverick and Millennium Force enter from the opposite side of the station as the GP whereas Raptor, Magnum and Dragster all merge before the station. They do work the same per ride and yes you can choose your seats since you are merged into the line rather than going up the exit ramp and taking whatever seat you want.

Hope that helps!

It sure does help!
It is what I live for!
Not really, but nice to know that if I ever opted for FastLane at CP (in other words, if I ever get back to CP!) I know what is in store: a system that is how I would have designed it (I've seen others like that, and some not).

Mike B.
Re: Trip Report: Cedar Point 06/13/2012 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/21/12 12:41:28 PM
Nice TR! I agree with your experience in regards to the employees there. They are the worst at getting crowds going, friendliness or being entertaining (ride ops on the mic) than any of the other parks I've been to. And I totally agree with you on Magnum - one of the most under-rated coasters IMO. If it was in any other park it would be the premier coaster.

I can't wait to get there and use the FP! That will make the day SO much easier but I'm not sure if I can make it this year.

Jen

Re: Trip Report: Cedar Point 06/13/2012 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 6/23/12 3:06:55 PM
I was at Cedar Point for my first time the 9 and 10. Both days had fairly light crowds. Except I was lucky enough to get in an hour early. The longest wait for me was on Raptor on Saturday. I waited for an hour. On Sunday I rode Millinium Force in the morning on early entery and then I rode it twice more throughout the day. The second time I rode it I only waited for a half hour for the front seat. You said it was very smooth for you but it was incrediblely smooth for me.
Re: Trip Report: Cedar Point 06/13/2012 by drachen drachen Profile at 6/27/12 11:20:50 AM
I feel like I'm getting redundant, but again, very nice write-up Ray, and I love that you post videos as well. What a great idea.

It sounds like the Flash Pass implementation at Cedar Point is execute pretty well. I think when I make it back there, I'll be purchasing one. I hope Kings Island's system is the same, as I'll finally experience that this year.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I haven't been to CP since 2003. You've made me look forward to getting back there next season.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur