Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > New webcam at Cedar Point (should more parks do this?)

New webcam at Cedar Point (should more parks do this?)

mugen828 mugen828 Profile

Posted:
6/7/12 at
2:01:24 PM

Cedar point posted on facebook about their new webcam. http://www.cedarpoint.com/online-fun/new-live-video-cam

It's not in direct view of any lines or anything, but I think it'd be cool if parks had a webcam of the main square in their parks. It's always cool to see a park's new ride under construction and such, but seeing a big area of the park or the main square would be very cool.

It's a great idea to say "put one on the parking lot!" but that would be a double edged sword. when you go to check it out, 1. you have to be aware of what's it's going to look like when you finally reach the park, and 2. more people would go if they saw it empty haha, so you'd never be able to get anything out of it anyway!

* This post was modified at 6/8/12 10:04:26 AM *

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: New webcam at Cedar Point (should more parks do this?) by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/8/12 9:23:26 AM
I think it was about ten years ago, Kings Island had a webcam mounted on the Eiffel Tower. I don't remember what was under construction at the time, but you could point it with your browser and watch the construction progress.
Re: New webcam at Cedar Point (should more parks do this?) by drachen drachen Profile at 6/8/12 1:38:01 PM
I love the live web cam. Great find!

Now, instead of working, I'll be watching Raptor run all day.

So, to answer your question... yes, more parks should do this. CP should have one on MF and Dragster too.

I think this would be a great way to market a new ride to the GP.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: New webcam at Cedar Point (should more parks do this?) by NotSo NotSo Profile at 6/8/12 4:30:07 PM
I think they put it there because it shows off the only tree on the peninsula... nice!
Re: New webcam at Cedar Point (should more parks do this?) by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/8/12 8:05:38 PM
NotSo said:

I think they put it there because it shows off the only tree on the peninsula... nice!

LOL! I know there must be at least a dozen or so trees there ;-)
A limb from one fell and bopped me on the head back in '07.
(Beastmaster can attest to the truth of that statement!)

Re: New webcam at Cedar Point (should more parks do this?) by squirrels at 6/9/12 8:16:47 AM
Not while you were on Raptor, I hope. :p

Re: line-cams, I doubt they'd do it. The whole idea of the camera is to show off the rides and draw people IN, not show how long the lines are and keep people OUT.

I did once stumble upon a website that was set up to give wait-times on roller coasters. The problem was that it was dependent on users logging in from their smartphones and reporting the waits, and as you can imagine, very few people cared enough to do so.

At any major theme-park, especially one like CP, you should just EXPECT a crowd. Especially on weekends in summer, when 1) adults aren't working, 2) kids aren't in school, and 3) people are on vacation.

Re: New webcam at Cedar Point (should more parks do this?) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/9/12 9:46:12 AM
squirrels said:

At any major theme-park, especially one like CP, you should just EXPECT a crowd. Especially on weekends in summer, when 1) adults aren't working, 2) kids aren't in school, and 3) people are on vacation.

No..REALLY? Well, I learned something today :)

Dorney tomorrow, but crowds won't be an issue. Yay!

Mike, getting ready for a heavy coasting week..

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: New webcam at Cedar Point (should more parks do this?) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/9/12 10:11:07 AM
beastmaster said:

squirrels said:

No..REALLY? Well, I learned something today :)

Dorney tomorrow, but crowds won't be an issue. Yay!

Mike, getting ready for a heavy coasting week..

That's because Dorney sucks - nothing to do with the reasons above! :~)

Jen