Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush

Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush

Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile

Posted:
6/5/12 at
3:51:13 PM

Having worked four baseball games on Sunday the 3rd, I was spent when I got home from work. I went to bed early and as a result woke up around 1:30 am and could not fall back to sleep. Laid around all morning until it was time to pick my friend up and head north on Interstate 83. I was dragging the entire way up and I was tasked with all the driving for the trip.

We had an opportunity to get discount tickets last week at $35 per person but that fell through. We searched online and in Baltimore area stores/fast food restaurant for discount coupons and could not locate any. Finally we checked the internet where we found that PA based Giant grocery stores had discount tickets at $11 off the gated price per person and if two or more tickets were purchased, your parking was comped as well. That’s the route that we chose and wound up paying $91 and some change for two admissions ($56 per person + $12 parking charge).

We arrived at Hershey Park at 11:30 am and noticed that there were a ton of buses though only one half of the main lot was full. By mid-afternoon the whole main parking area was full and there was a decent sized crowd in the park. I wasn’t expecting so many families to be there as school is still in session for most of the region.

We entered the park and shelled out $20 for a locker, which I thought was a bit steep. The locker system that they use is the one where you wear a wristband and wave the band over the locker and the locker pops open.

My friend (who traveled up with me) and I were waiting for a third friend to join us. This particular friend who traveled with had never been to Hershey Park before.

In the meantime, we jumped on Storm Runner for our first ride of the day. Storm Runner was running great. Pacing is still excellent and this ride really kicks butt from start to finish. We waited about twenty-minutes with two-train operation. The ride on Storm Runner gave us both a much-needed awakening.

After Storm Runner we purchased some snacks, rode Reese’s Extreme Cup Challenge, and had a full meal while we waited.

Our friend arrived around 1:30 PM and we went straight for Skyrush. I wasn’t expecting much from Skyrush as I thought the layout looked tame from the animation videos. I criticized the coaster for being to gimmicky with the floorless outside seats. Well my friends, after riding this coaster, I’ll admit that my preconceived notions were incorrect. I’ve been comparing Skyrush a lot against Intimidator 305. While I305 is significantly taller and faster than Skyrush, Skyrush offers many moments of ejector air (ala 3rd hill of SROS at SFA) that I305 simply lacks. The transitional banking on I305 is more severe than Skyrush but don’t be fooled… Skyrush goes into top gear from the start to the finish. We sat in the very last row. Not only was there a HUGE ejector air moment going over the crest of the hill but also no sooner did our butts hit the seats we were back up in the air again while going down the 85 degree first drop.

Simply breathe taking.

Skyrush offers a number of close head-choppers that I305 lacks. I really enjoyed Skyrush and despite the smaller stats, I feel that Skyrush is the winner of a head to head competition versus I305. That’s a tough thing for me to say because I love I305.

After Skyrush we headed over to the Boardwalk area of the park for the waterpark. I’m not a big waterpark kind of guy but my friends wanted to take part so I went along for the adventure. We noticed that the Wave Rider attraction, the attraction where you ride the boogie board with the perfect constant wave had a very short line so myself and one of the two friends tried it out. I followed the lifeguard’s instructions on how to ride and on the first try I overshot the edge of where the water comes out from beneath the ground. On my second attempt, I nailed the initial jump and rode the wave up and down twice before getting too cocky and tipping the front end of the board down into the wave, thus causing a MAJOR wipeout. I went head over heels at least twice, got water deep down in both ear canals, and the wave still managed to blow my 280 pound self up and over the hill at the top of the attraction. The water was freezing cold with an outside temp of about 72 degrees.

We did a couple of laps on the lazy river before changing and started to plan out the rest of our day. He grabbed some more snacks and eventually hit The Whip and Lightning Racer.

Lightning Racer was running well. Really can’t offer anymore than that. Not too rough but not smooth as glass either. Seemed the Lightning Racer is very well maintained. Rode on the green side.

Next we hit Fahrenheit.

This was only my second ride ever on Fahrenheit and it was a great ride back when it opened. On this day the entire train shuffled through the track after the vertical lift. The vibrations were really severe causing the ride to not be very smooth. I enjoy the layout and pacing on this ride, however, the park was only running two trains. I probably will not stand in line again for a long period of time to ride this should the shuffling continue to plague this ride. It was the longest wait of the day at an hour.

As we exited Fahrenheit, a storm was moving in a light rain began to fall. Over the next fifteen minutes, the rain would intensify and many of the rides were being closed. We took advantage of a walk on with Sidewinder and rode in the rain. I haven’t been on a normal Vekoma Boomerang in many many years. If you’ve been on one you’ve been on that all. This was my first ride on a Boomerang with the new trains. The train itself seemed to resemble the old style trains in terms of shape. There is no more or less legroom than the previous model. The glaring difference between the two is the softer chest padding on the OTSR. There are also no seatbelts on this particular newer train. The ride itself was rather enjoyable. Smooth ride.

With Storm Runner and Skyrush being closed due to the storm, we decided to hit Great Bear as it was still running. We walked onto the first row. When we walked onto the ride, there was a light drizzle. As we climbed the lift, a heavy down pour opened up and we were screwed. I purchased the on-ride photo as all three of us had our eyes closed and two of us had our hands over our eyes. A very funny picture. The raindrops hitting us at 60 miles per hour was not very fun, especially since we were in the front and had nothing to shield us from the elements. As we hit the blocks, the rainwater that had gathered above in the wheel well area dumped on us as the train came to a halt. Just adding insult to injury I guess…

We got off Great Bear absolutely freaking soaked and decided to head out. We skipped Looper and hit Chocolate World before grabbing a bite at Red Robin.

All in all it was a pretty nice day. Yesterday was the first time in a very long time that I left the enthusiast behind at home and just went to the park as a normal guest, leaving all the traditions and analysis behind. I actually enjoyed myself more focusing on the friends than I did the rides themselves.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush by alpengeistno3 at 6/5/12 8:47:38 PM
Nice TR, Joe. Everyone has been so busy posting thoughts about Skyrush, it was good to finally hear someone comment on the rest of the park. Thanks for that.

You didn't ride Looper, but it seems it is running. Did you get a chance to observe the new trains?

Paul

Re: Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 6/5/12 10:34:25 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Nice TR, Joe. Everyone has been so busy posting thoughts about Skyrush, it was good to finally hear someone comment on the rest of the park. Thanks for that.

You didn't ride Looper, but it seems it is running. Did you get a chance to observe the new trains?

Paul

I rode Looper when I was there on Memorial Day, the trains have bucket seats (which are more comfy than the old seats) and the lap bars seemed to have more padding, but those seemed to be the only differences besides the color. Also when I was there on Memorial Day and the Wednesday after they were only running one train on Looper and were working on the other.

P.S. The green train on lightning racer is thunder...just thought I'd let you know, not that it really matters.

Re: Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush by squirrels at 6/6/12 2:58:09 PM
Interesting take on SkyRush. I sometimes ride with people with bad necks and I know I305's "snap-turns" are somewhat mitigated by the use of the belt-OTSRs, but I still thought it might be a little severe for them. Maybe SkyRush is a reasonable alternative.

Agree with StormRunner still being a great ride. I wish Intamin had added track after some of their other launch-coasters. Last time I went there, the line was short enough for another "go-round". I remember when it first opened, though, waiting for an hour or more in the boiling heat to ride it. Most dehydrated I can remember being aside from the Youghigheney, but worth it.

It's a REAL shame to hear that Fahrenheit isn't running well. What do you mean, "shuffling"? Did it feel like it wasn't well-lubricated? Was it slow? Or were the tolerances loose/rattley? That coaster isn't that old...there's really no excuse for it to be running poorly. I wonder if it was just a problem that day. I guess when you guys all go out for your group-trip you'll let us know if it's still running rough.

Great Bear is an excellent B&M 'vert. First one I ever rode, and the coaster that really got Hershey into the "modern coaster age". Like a lot of their other coasters (SDL, TrailBlazer, Stormrunner), Bear makes excellent use of the natural terrain/features of the park to add to the coaster's technical merit. Not a lot of places do that, and it REALLY makes an "okay" coaster into a great one.

I remember going to HP every year when I was young, back when they were a 3-coaster park. (Comet, SDL, Trailblazer) They've really come a long way in the coaster-world since then and have enough coasters to legitimately compete with any Six Flags or Cedar Fair park.

The one thing about coasters at HP is that they generally don't last long enough.

Re: Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/6/12 3:26:44 PM
squirrels said:

The one thing about coasters at HP is that they generally don't last long enough.

Do you mean ride time? Because one of the reasons I rank Lightning Racer so highly is that it seems to go on FOREVER...especially at night :)

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush by Coaster316 at 6/6/12 3:40:33 PM
squirrels said:

Great Bear is an excellent B&M 'vert. First one I ever rode, and the coaster that really got Hershey into the "modern coaster age". Like a lot of their other coasters (SDL, TrailBlazer, Stormrunner), Bear makes excellent use of the natural terrain/features of the park to add to the coaster's technical merit. Not a lot of places do that, and it REALLY makes an "okay" coaster into a great one.

Excellent synopsis of Great Bear. One of my sentimental favorites.

Re: Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush by squirrels at 6/7/12 12:20:56 PM
beastmaster said:

squirrels said:

Do you mean ride time? Because one of the reasons I rank Lightning Racer so highly is that it seems to go on FOREVER...especially at night :)

Mike

Yes...although I was thinking more of the steel coasters than the woodies. I'd say all of their wooden coasters feel "complete" as far as ride-time is concerned.

Not that their steel coasters aren't "complete" rides...it just feels like StormRunner and Great Bear both seem to end just when you're starting to REALLY enjoy the ride. StormRunner especially...it comes out of the snake dive into a quick snap-turn and then suddenly...brakes?? Why?! Great Bear it's more forgiveable, especially the first time you ride it, because it comes up into the station in a way that seriously has you thinking you're going to lose your feet.

I suppose there's an art to finding maximum enjoyment time on a roller coaster. I also think with Hershey, it has a lot to do again with how they use the park's terrain. It probably limits what can be done with the coasters and how they can return to station.

Re: Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 6/8/12 3:53:55 AM
squirrels said:

It's a REAL shame to hear that Fahrenheit isn't running well. What do you mean, "shuffling"? Did it feel like it wasn't well-lubricated? Was it slow? Or were the tolerances loose/rattley? That coaster isn't that old...there's really no excuse for it to be running poorly. I wonder if it was just a problem that day. I guess when you guys all go out for your group-trip you'll let us know if it's still running rough.

The coaster vibrated constantly through out the course post vertical lift. There trains weren't tracking the rails correctly causing the vehicles to shift from side to side through the elements. Comparing the ride to an Arrow mega looper is a bit harsh, but, Fahrenheit wasn't as smooth as it should be with only a few years aged.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush by squirrels at 6/8/12 11:55:23 AM
Great_Ump said:

squirrels said:

The coaster vibrated constantly through out the course post vertical lift. There trains weren't tracking the rails correctly causing the vehicles to shift from side to side through the elements. Comparing the ride to an Arrow mega looper is a bit harsh, but, Fahrenheit wasn't as smooth as it should be with only a few years aged.

Joe
Great_Ump

I'll bet there's SOMETHING they can do as far as taking in play on the train wheels or something. Those trains, I believe, are the same ones they use on Maverick at Cedar Point, so the idea that they are "worn beyond tolerance" already is a bit hard to believe. But then again, Fahrenheit is doing a lot more inversions.

Re: Hershey Park TR: 4 June 2012, Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/8/12 9:42:11 PM
Nice TR! Does this mean you're not meeting us on Thursday :~(

I hear you with the rain - I got caught in the rain on ET one year and I swear nails were driving into my face - rode with my head down shielding my face the entire time - OUCH!

Glad you had fun - hope you can still make it on Thursday!

Jen