Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Luna Park/Coney 6/3

Luna Park/Coney 6/3

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
6/4/12 at
9:30:12 PM

Fact: Luna Park does not offer "Ride All You Want" wristbands on weekends.

Fact: On weekdays when they ARE offered, only the rides in Luna Park are included. The Cyclone ($8) is not, nor are the Soaring Eagle ($7) and Steeplechase($7) coasters in the Scream Zone nearby.

Fact: The weekday wristband coasts $26 for 4 hours.

Some time ago, I purchased a Groupon offer for Luna, knowing it would not be valid until after May 29. Keeping in mind the above FACTS: The Groupon included a four hour Luna unlimited ride wristband, one ride each on Soaring Eagle and Steeplechase, AND valid on weekends...for $22.

After demonstrating my lack of knowledge about the New York City Subway system, I made it to Coney at about 11:45 am and picked up my wristband, and a pre-loaded Luna Card for one ride each on the "major" coasters, excluding the Cyclone. Herewith, some highlights and lowlights.

Biggest Surprise: The Tickler, a spinning mouse that I did three rides on for starters. Surprising forces, nice drops and two great airtime pops..on a MOUSE!

SkyScreamer It Ain't: Enjoyed my ride on Brooklyn Flyer, whose double seats have that wicker look of classic swing rides. I's only 100 ft., but offered a nice view of the surrounding area during its way-too-short cycle.

False Advertising: "WILD" River log flume. Tame doesn't begin to describe it.

Good Things Come In Small Packages: Luna's installations of a Disk-O and a Frisbee benefitted from a compact design. I was the only rider on the Frisbee, and got nice floater air at the crest.

Flat Ride Of The Day: Air Race, a Zamperla creation featuring airplanes at the end of arms that complete inverted barrel rolls. Very disorienting, very unusual, and very enjoyable.

Change Of Pace: Took off my shoes and socks, rolled up my jeans and dipped my lower extremities in the Atlantic, then sat on the beach and watched the bikinis on parade.

$6 Well Spent: Took a spin on the Wonder Wheel. Only got three revolutions in a swinging car, but wonderful views of and breezes off the beach. A nice, relaxing 15 minutes.

$8 Not Well Spent: I'm not prone to hyperbole, but I received one of the worst jolts I've ever gotten on a coaster when I hit the second hill of the Cyclone. I rode the back seat (I know, mistake) and I was ejected out of my seat so violently that my thich is severely bruised, and in that moment, I felt like my internal organs had been re-arranged. I've only had about 7-8 rides on the Cyclone, but this was by far the worst. The first drop, which I think was re-done, was the only tolerable part of the ride.

Skip To My Lou: I actually skipped a coaster, the Junior Circus Coaster, for reasons which shall be revealed later.

Third Time's NOT the Charm: Soaring Eagle is a Zamperla Flyer. Very uncomfortable to ride in that position, beats your head up. I believe this was my third (CW,Playland) and haven't liked them. But you know me...I'll ride anything once.

Broncs vs. Bikes: Steeplechase seems to be the exact same ride as MotoCoaster at Darien Lake, with four-legged friends replacing two-wheeled ones. I've always liked motorcycles, so that's where my preference lies. This ride is sort of enjoyable..but too damn short!

One Out Of Three (Is) Bad: I promised a co-worker that the next time I went to Nathans at Coney, I would try frogs legs for the first time in my life. I try to keep my promises. I did not care for them, but unfortunately, my hot dog was also below par. At least the orangeade was good. Interestingly enough, the original Nathans, where I ate, had a far smaller crowd than the one on the boardwalk.

Everything was a walk on.

Coaster Counts: On my un-official count..which is the only one I go by, although it's probably higher..Tickler was #296, Steeplechase was #297, and Soaring Eagle was #298. So I did skip the Circus Coaster for a reason (Yes, Mike actually declined a kiddie coaster credit!) stinger will be #299 at Dorney this Sunday during an ERT session. That paves the way for SkyRush (ThighCrush?) to be #300 in less than two weeks..if indeed our little group outing happens.

Thanks for reading, as always.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/4/12 10:16:44 PM
Great TR Mike. I've never been to Coney. One day I will make it there to ride The Cyclone. I looked Air Race up on YouTube, what a cool looking ride. You're getting close to 300. That number was my goal when I started this hobby. I still have 50 more before I reach that number. I should add 15 next week. Glad you had fun.
Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/4/12 10:26:38 PM
Very nice summations.

I've haven't been to Coney since Luna Park came to be and have heard similar opinions of the new things there, especially Air Race.

One thing I learned long ago is never to take the last row of any car on Cyclone. That would be row 4 in each of course, and that very last row was...oh, wait, now you know, Mike!
Yet row three in that car was quite enjoyable, I kid not.

Mike B.
Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by alpengeistno3 at 6/4/12 10:50:40 PM
Nice TR, Mike. I just watched that Top 5 program on National Geographic Channel and the Coney Cyclone was picked as the number 1 coaster. It amazes me that so many rides that are rough are flamed, but the Cyclone is in a lot of way just as rough and is loved.

Someone enlighten me as I have yet to make that trip up to Coney.

Paul

Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/4/12 10:53:45 PM
Great tr! If you need subway directions, feel free to ask me. I pretty much know of all the main lines to get to CI from wherever you get on.

Yeah, the unlimited wrist band thing is a waste: weekdays only, luna park only... unless you are going to do multiple rerides in Luna park, you are better off buying the multi 'credits' card. For me, I would ride 3 of the rides in the extreme area and a few in luna and then of course the cyclone.

Damn, I was hoping when they retracked Cyclone, it would've made the last row 'safer'. I guess I won't try my luck again back there on the new Cyclone. I also agree about not taking the last row of any car. Unfortunately, since it's 'take what's left' vs pick where you want to sit, there's not much of a choice especially for the front row (even on a slow day).

I don't blame you about the circus coaster. I rode it once and didn't like it. No more kiddie coasters for me.

Soarin Eagle, I didn't think it was that bad, but I understand the roughness part.

Steeplechase, also agreed. It was nice, but too short.

Air Race is easily the best flat ride. It would be the one I'd like to see installed in practically every park in the country :)

Nothing beats the Wonder Wheel. I was wondering what the current cost is now. I haven't rode it in a few years now. I always go for the swinging cars, those were a lot of fun especially when it rolls out towards the street.
semi interesting note: the park keeps one of their guard dogs in one of those stationary cars.

Brooklyn flyer and the flume ride were eh. Too small and short for me.

* This post was modified at 6/4/12 11:01:21 PM *

Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by JetMech JetMech Profile at 6/5/12 11:18:56 AM
Re: cyclone

I believe I rode the Cyclone last month and posted it seemed rather tame from years past. I rode in the car before last in back row and didn't find it rough at all. I'm not sure what rough is to riders but my idea of rough is excessive vibration, choppy and shacky. The differences I experienced from years past was the lack of yank out of the fan turns, less aggressive pacing,less positive G's in the valleys and the drop didn't sneak up on you as it always did.

By essentially changing all those aspects the Cyclone lost it's best features and I did not find it even fun anymore.

* This post was modified at 6/5/12 11:29:14 AM *

Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/5/12 2:41:59 PM
Ride the very last seat last car, that was by far one of my 'scariest' coaster ride to date. When you are lifted out of the seat, (at least on the pre-renovated tracks)you will land down hard on the seat as if it was made of concrete. Imo, I still say they should've had shorter trains (6 cars with 2 rows each or even 4 cars with 3 rows each vs 3 cars with 4 rows each) and they could've left the tracks alone. Shorter cars would be able to handle the tighter turns and drops better.

* This post was modified at 6/5/12 2:43:32 PM *

Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/5/12 2:55:07 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Ride the very last seat last car, that was by far one of my 'scariest' coaster ride to date. When you are lifted out of the seat, (at least on the pre-renovated tracks)you will land down hard on the seat as if it was made of concrete.

Yep that's exactly where was and exactly what I felt. If I wasn't behind that bar, I would have been splattered in the street. And I am NOT saying that to be funny. That's how violent that second drop was. I couldn't wait for the ride to be over, and it seemed to run forever after that.

Mike

Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/5/12 8:30:17 PM
No, I totally agree with you. In my tr from last year, or one of the threads here, that's exactly the feeling I felt sitting in the last row. I was basically gripping tightly on the train's handle bar. Even the small hills I felt like I was going to get thrown out of the train. It is no exaggeration, it is a fact! I just wonder how anyone can sit there and keep their arms up the whole ride, those people are the craziest and most daring ppl IMO.
Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/6/12 1:43:57 PM
Thanks for the TR Mike. Air Race looks like a very fun flatride; I heard nearly nothing but all positive reviews from it, although I remembered when one URCer (I forgot who) said that it's looks more fun than the actual experience; I can't wait to check it out for myself one of these days. I rode Cyclone in 08 (I rode somewhere in the middle seats) and didn't find much discomfort on it, although I totally agree with Cyclone's life-saving lapbars on the moments of ejector air. Hey Mike, what's the lesser of two evils for you, a backseat ride on the Cyclone, or riding the Toboggan at Lakemont? :)

* This post was modified at 6/6/12 1:48:14 PM *

Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/6/12 2:37:15 PM
Overbanked said:
Hey Mike, what's the lesser of two evils for you, a backseat ride on the Cyclone, or riding the Toboggan at Lakemont? :)

No one should be forced to make that choice. You've got a cruel streak, Mr. Tompkins (sp?)

Mike

Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/6/12 4:48:31 PM
beastmaster said:

Mr. Tompkins (sp?)
Mike

Yeah you spelled it right, just like Daniel Tompkins, the vice president under James Monroe. Thanks for not putting that 'h' in here. If I had a dollar for the many times I had to spell my last name without the 'h', I would be very wealthy.

Re: Luna Park/Coney 6/3 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/6/12 4:58:24 PM
Overbanked said:

beastmaster said:

Mr. Tompkins (sp?)
Mike

Yeah you spelled it right, just like Daniel Tompkins, the vice president under James Monroe. Thanks for not putting that 'h' in here. If I had a dollar for the many times I had to spell my last name without the 'h', I would be very wealthy.

We're in the same boat, Chris. I get mail and other correspondence all the time addressed to "Gallager"..note the missing "H"

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.