Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Carousel From SFKK

Carousel From SFKK

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
6/4/12 at
5:26:25 AM

One of my favorite memories from SFKK..although I'm not sure if I actually rode it..was a carousel with giant musical instruments instead of animals. Does anyone know if it was moved, or if it's still there collecting rust?

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Carousel From SFKK by sparky sparky Profile at 6/4/12 7:57:39 AM
As far as I know, it is still there. The ride you are referring to is an older Zamperla product, simply called "Musical Carousel". The park also has (which is still on property) an impressive 4 abreast hand carved wooden carousel from Wood Design of Holland (located near the Roller Skater).
Re: Mike by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/4/12 8:31:38 AM
About your sig... the earlier thread was locked.
I'm sorry but I don't recognize the origin of that line.
Re: Mike by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/4/12 10:32:50 AM
RobLec said:

About your sig... the earlier thread was locked.
I'm sorry but I don't recognize the origin of that line.

it's a line from Springsteen's Born To Run.

Mike

Re: Mike by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/4/12 11:44:54 AM

Ah, great song. I know it well, but not the lyrics.

Re: Mike by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/4/12 12:28:56 PM
I'm from Jersey. It's a pre-requisite to know the lyrics to Born To Run...my hearing prevents me from understanding song lyrics clearly, but I learned that one a long time ago. lyric sheets go a long way.
Re: Mike by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/4/12 1:10:44 PM
RobLec said:

Ah, great song. I know it well, but not the lyrics.

P.S..there's another amusement park reference in Born To Run.."Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard"

The Palace was an indoor amusement park in Asbury Park, where I rode my first Swiss Bobs/Bayern Kurve back in the early 70's.

Re: Mike by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/4/12 9:29:24 PM
beastmaster said:

The Palace was an indoor amusement park in Asbury Park, where I rode my first Swiss Bobs/Bayern Kurve back in the early 70's.

I know Asbury Park. I was stationed in Eatontown in the 70's, about midway between Red Bank and Asbury, and used to cruise the circuit there. Nearby was Seaside Heights, Point Pleasant, Sandy Hook etc. Ah, good times.

Re: Mike by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/4/12 9:37:57 PM
RobLec said:

beastmaster said:

I know Asbury Park. I was stationed in Eatontown in the 70's, about midway between Red Bank and Asbury, and used to cruise the circuit there. Nearby was Seaside Heights, Point Pleasant, Sandy Hook etc. Ah, good times.

Fort Monmouth? Springsteen and E-Street have actually rehearsed there. It's not an active installation anymore. I cut my amusement park teeth at Seaside heights, in the days before GAdv.

* This post was modified at 6/4/12 9:39:25 PM *

Re: Jersey boys by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/4/12 10:06:09 PM
Yeah, Ft Monmouth, known as the "officer's country club", winter of '71. I can remember that even more vividly than high school or college. Little did I know at the time that amusement parks were being demolished left and right. I grew up always having an amusement park nearby... Indian Lake near my grandparent's house, Old Orchard Beach near my Dad's, and of course Cinci's "Old Coney" within walking distance from home.

After Monmouth I was shipped overseas for three years and came home to a world of "theme parks". Soon to follow came "shopping malls", Hondas and Toyotas, "vans". No more muscle cars. Monmouth was closed down once the cold war ended. I don't know what's there now. One thing I really enjoyed about having a rich Uncle Sam was seeing the world on his dime.

As much as I had always planned to someday visit the northeast parks, my life is winding down now and what I haven't seen yet I probably never will. We do enjoy returning to BGT and Orlando, but I think Waldamere back in 2010 probably was my last road trip. Even KI is getting to be a drag. Hopefully maybe someday I may become re-enthused when I have grandchildren to take on the rollycoasters.