Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Thoughts on Leviathan

Thoughts on Leviathan

sparky sparky Profile

Posted:
6/3/12 at
9:44:44 PM

Say what you will. This is an odd installation for the park in which
it resides. Before you say "But dozens of parks have more than one
wooden coaster,", this is still an odd installation choice for the
park in which it resides.

I went in with a partially open mind. I knew I wouldn't like
Leviathan as much as Behemoth, but I pushed my "odd installation" bias
to the side and boarded a first generation B&M Speed Coaster train
(complete with the smaller seats introduced on Behemoth). Four across
seating, yet oddly only eight coaches (versus all other Speed Coasters
which have nine coach trains).

Trains are dispatched and round a slow 180 degree right hand turn to
face maybe the most ridiculous looking lift hill in the world. While
Steel Dragon 2000 is certainly taller, Leviathan not only features the
world's longest SINGLE chain lift hill, but as previously mentioned,
it looks ridiculous. Impossibly tall- tall enough to make beefy B&M
columns look like toothpicks. I'm not usually one on structural
aesthetics, but one cannot deny the simply beauty that is Leviathan's
lift and first drop. The chain hauls trains up the lift at about half
the speed of an average Intamin Cable Lift, which felt about 50%
faster than an average B&M lift.

There are great first drops that sneak up on you (i.e. Raging Bull,
Coney Cyclone). And then there are the El Toro first drops that you
know are going to kick your ass. Leviathan is B&M's answer to El
Toro's first drop. Taken at about an 80 degree angle, the drop starts
out floater and then transitions into a sudden yank before leveling
off and depositing your ass back in the seat with more force than any
other B&M Coaster to date.

The rest of the course can be seen in countless simulation and real-
life videos, photos, etc. The thing is in plain view of one of
Canada's largest parking lots. Really no surprises. The hills offer
floater air. The noticeable difference is the speed in which things
are taken. Both large camelbacks have fixed magnetic trims that were
unnoticeable enough not to even bother mentioning.

Leviathan shines in the operations department. The 500 ft long
descending brake run allows for the ride to operate without a single
mid-course block. Trains can be dispatched as soon as the one ahead
clears the lift. If the ride is running slow, the base of the lift
acts as a holding block. I was told Saturday the amazing crew hit
their all-time high with a 52 train hour (32 per train if full). This
results in a line that flies and has given the park its second quality
peopleeater. The queue itself is surprisingly small- capable of
holding no more than a 30-40 minute wait.

While I still prefer Behemoth's airtime and pacing, Leviathan is a
huge hit with park guests. It clearly is B&M's take on Millennium
Force, except with actual negative g's on its hills.

Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 6/3/12 10:05:25 PM
I can't tell, are you praising or criticizing the lift hill's looks?

"most ridiculous looking lift hill in the world"

"one cannot deny the simply beauty that is Leviathan's lift and first drop"

Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by sparky sparky Profile at 6/3/12 10:20:35 PM
Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

I can't tell, are you praising or criticizing the lift hill's looks?

"most ridiculous looking lift hill in the world"

"one cannot deny the simply beauty that is Leviathan's lift and first drop"

Ridiculous used sarcastically as in "need to wipe eyes to ensure what you are seeing is real."

Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by drachen drachen Profile at 6/3/12 10:25:44 PM
Thank you for the further inspiration to head to Canada...

Sounds like another high-quality ride from B&M. I'm glad to hear that it's a people eater, and that it's first drop is one of the best out there.

How's the rest of the ride?

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by sparky sparky Profile at 6/3/12 10:35:09 PM
drachen said:

Thank you for the further inspiration to head to Canada...

Sounds like another high-quality ride from B&M. I'm glad to hear that it's a people eater, and that it's first drop is one of the best out there.

How's the rest of the ride?

As I alluded to, it is what it looks like. Sensation of speed is the only thing differentiating it from other B&M Speed Coasters. The two large hills offer floats on par with Nitro's 3rd and 5th hills. The two low to the ground hills offer similar floatage. It's a solid and fun ride- very re-rideable. As similar to MF and as different to I-305 as a B&M ride of this type could get.

Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 6/3/12 10:51:08 PM
sparky said:

Ridiculous used sarcastically as in "need to wipe eyes to ensure what you are seeing is real."

Ah, I get it now. I was wondering how anyone could see a gigantic Beemer lift hill as anything but gorgeous. lol

The only ugly-looking part of the ride, imho, is the giant brake run, however useful it is as a people-eater.

Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by ray_p ray_p Profile at 6/4/12 6:36:18 AM
Mark, that was an outstanding review of Leviathan. You described it perfectly, and actually share many of the same observations I had. The first hill is amazing to look at, especially as you start climbing it for the fist time. It just seems to go on forever. I think that's one of the big differences between Leviathan and Millennium Force. MF's lift is so steep and is over so fast you don't truly have time to admire the fact that you are 310 feet above the ground. On Leviathan, it takes a bit longer to reach the top and since the lift is not as steep, it seems more drawn out and you get more time to look over the side and enjoy the view of the park and the Toronto cityscape out in the distance.

Thanks for a great review!

Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 6/4/12 12:08:43 PM
Thanks Sparky for that review. Donna and I are driving to Newmarket on Friday, June 8,and will be at the Park first thing Saturday morning (at least I will) can't wait to give it a go. What was line up for Behemoth like compared to Big "L"?
(in Canada we say line up not Queue)

Regards
Kevin "about to ride his coaster since 2009" Reid

Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/4/12 1:32:34 PM
Loved the description of Leviathan, I would hope a US park builds a B&M giga. Good to know about it being a good addition for the park.
Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/4/12 4:31:34 PM
I love how this coaster is not only huge and awesome, but they seemed to have planned it very well with keeping the line movingggg. That is a HUGE plus in my book. If my home park was Hershey, I'd be like, look! this is how you do it. (I know they don't have a lot of room at Hershey, but it's just how much money you want to spend in the end.
- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by sparky sparky Profile at 6/4/12 8:43:27 PM
KevinReid said:

Thanks Sparky for that review. Donna and I are driving to Newmarket on Friday, June 8,and will be at the Park first thing Saturday morning (at least I will) can't wait to give it a go. What was line up for Behemoth like compared to Big "L"?
(in Canada we say line up not Queue)

Regards
Kevin "about to ride his coaster since 2009" Reid

Both days (yesterday and today) were low crowd days, so LINE UPS weren't an issue. Yesterday Leviathan maxed at 15 minutes- today it was basically 5 minutes to walk on (from 5:40-6:00 I rode 4 times- twice front and twice back).

As you know, Saturdays are another story, and if the weather is nice (as it was this past Saturday), I was told Leviathan maxed at 60-75 minutes and Behemoth at 60 minutes. Fastlane is well worth the $30-$50 (depending on day and number of people) cost. It is good for unlimited line skipping on:

Backot, Behemoth, Drop Tower, Flight Deck, Klockwerks, Leviathan, Minebuster, Night Mares, Orbitor, Psyclone, Shockwave, The Bat, Vortex, Wild Beast, and Windseeker.

Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/4/12 10:52:30 PM
Mark does write ridiculous reviews.

His industry knowledge is ridiculous, too.

I've appreciated his ridiculousness for years.

Except when he thinks I'm ridiculous when I pronounce his name.
;-)

Mike B.
Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/5/12 5:31:52 AM
sparky said:

KevinReid said:

Backot, Behemoth, Drop Tower, Flight Deck, Klockwerks, Leviathan, Minebuster, Night Mares, Orbitor, Psyclone, Shockwave, The Bat, Vortex, Wild Beast, and Windseeker.

That's an extensive list of Fast Lane options. Dorney only offers 10. Then again, CW has far mor rides than Dorney..in my memory, anyway.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by sparky sparky Profile at 6/5/12 9:30:28 AM
MABrider said:

Mark does write ridiculous reviews.

His industry knowledge is ridiculous, too.

I've appreciated his ridiculousness for years.

Except when he thinks I'm ridiculous when I pronounce his name.
;-)

Ever since our 12 hour man date at Rye Playland 10 years ago or so, I will always be Mahhhk and you will always be Bahhhtlett.

Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by BrandonandDad at 7/10/12 3:59:54 PM
My son and I have seasons passes this year so we took a leap to CW this past June.

The Leviathan is one awesome ride - it does not feel as brutal on the head or back as Behemoth. Behemoth feels a tad rougher - Leviathan is smoother.

My son loves both, but Leviathan's speed is something he notices over Behemoth.

Me? Well I had to laugh in agreement with others' remarks about the chiro-nightmare that occurs on the Great Canadian Mine Buster and Wild Beast - in fact, my son (13) HATED the back seat on the Wild Beast precisely for its painful effect on his head and back.

CW has come a long way since DRagonFyre, which I rode way back in the 80's. It is a cleaner and more exciting place now than even 6 years ago.

Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 7/16/12 5:58:10 AM
Because of problems in another park, I have decided to make a quick change in my plans and go to CW in about two weeks. You mentioned wait times for Leviathan and Behemoth. Rides in other parks that are similar to Back Lot Stunt Coaster, Fly, SkyRider, and Vortex can have long lines. How are they here? Windseekers in other places are having problems. What should I expect here and with what wait. I will be going on a Wednesday or Thursday.
Re: Thoughts on Leviathan by leviathan leviathan Profile at 7/17/12 1:49:01 PM
theRock-steel said:

Because of problems in another park, I have decided to make a quick change in my plans and go to CW in about two weeks. You mentioned wait times for Leviathan and Behemoth. Rides in other parks that are similar to Back Lot Stunt Coaster, Fly, SkyRider, and Vortex can have long lines. How are they here? Windseekers in other places are having problems. What should I expect here and with what wait. I will be going on a Wednesday or Thursday.

Rock, I took the family to CW last Tuesday (I'll be putting up a TR when I have time) but I can tell you that the lineups were not terrible. About 45 min max on Leviathan, which was early in the day. Behemoth was closer to 30 min, but we did not get back there until late afternoon, so I'm guessing it was probably around that way all day. Vortex was around 30 min, SkyRider we skipped, and the Backlot Stunt Coaster has been having some problems with the LIMs from what I understand, which has caused the park to only load the first 2 cars, leaving the last one empty. The lineup was not that long, but seemed to take longer than it should...maybe another 30-45 min.

Windseeker was running all day. It looks like their problems either a) are resolved or b) are maybe limited to windy days, as I've heard rumored.

As long as you're not going on a weekend or some sort of special event day, I would assume lineups will be in the same vicinity.