Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed?

Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
6/1/12 at
10:54:05 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/green-lantern-relaunched-brave-mighty-gay-070052544.html

I was putting this up facetiously and to be silly, but as I'm typing, I'm wondering if there's any possibility that SF in general or GAdv in particular may not want to have a major ride associated with a character of a certain, shall we say, persuasion.

Thoughts?

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 6/1/12 10:57:34 AM
I'd err on the side of caution and suggest that we don't have this conversation here. While I'm NOT a Moderator here, there have been issues previously where Gay Day conversations have turned into flame wars. It's a hotly controversial issue in an election year... can we please not go there?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/1/12 11:33:16 AM
Not to be a huge comic book dork or nerd but the ride is associated with a different green lantern, Hal Jordan, who is not gay.

So, lucky for six flags I guess. although I don't think it would be a huge issue since there is no questionable themeing or anything.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/1/12 11:44:51 AM
mugen828 said:

Not to be a huge comic book dork or nerd but the ride is associated with a different green lantern, Hal Jordan, who is not gay.

So, lucky for six flags I guess. although I don't think it would be a huge issue since there is no questionable themeing or anything.

You're right, Kyle, and I took that into consideration. But nobody's going to the park and saying "Mom, I want to ride Hal Jordan." They're saying, "Mom, I want to ride Green Lantern." And it's the "new" Green Lantern that's most prominent in the newspapers and on the internet right now. I can honestly say I wouldn't be 100% surprised if they change the name/theme, but I certainly wouldn't EXPECT it to happen, and I would not LIKE to see it happen (I like the way GL looks.) And although I would not say sexual preference and religion should be in the same discussion, there IS precedent: Banshee and Voodoo became Mantis and Possessed due to the religious overtones of their names.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/1/12 1:21:38 PM
Doesn't matter to me. To me Green Lantern is either: Hal Jordan, John Stewart, or Kyle Reynar. This new one is just DC trying to counter Marvel's move of the wedding of 2 gay characters.

I personally find nothing wrong with being inclusive, but so long as the changes are to the 2nd and 3rd tier characters, I don't care. I don't want any changes to the main characters.

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by kdleader kdleader Profile at 6/1/12 1:47:43 PM
beastmaster said:

Banshee and Voodoo became Mantis and Possessed due to the religious overtones of their names.

Mike

I believe Dorney changed Voodoo's name due to Six Flags having a trademark on the name.

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/1/12 9:19:06 PM
I have no idea what you guys are even talking about. This is the girl who thought Flash Gordon was the dude on the Flash Pass......

But if you are saying that they are making the comic book character gay then I don't think they would do anything. Why? Now a days, especially with the younger generation it doesn't matter anymore. It's mostly the older generations and the very religious who have a problem with it.

I don't think they would change it because:

#1 Do you honestly think anyone would not ride a coaster because of who it's themed after?
#2 it would be more politically incorrect to change it based on his sexuality - that would have a biased undertone IMO.

Now if they change it because the movie sucked and bombed, that's a different story!

Jen

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/2/12 12:56:10 AM
Well Batman and Robin was a bomb, but on an unrelated note, those coasters were unreliable. Dark Knight was a great movie and got a really subpar coaster named for it.

As for the current GL coaster, the person used is clearly Hal Jordan, which is not the same person as the new GL. So I'm fairly sure that no renaming will be done. There are many Green lanterns, it's not like just one Batman where that might have an impact.

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by alpengeistno3 at 6/2/12 11:04:00 AM
And it is ironic that Gradv has 2 Batman coasters when there is only 1 Batman character, but 1 Green Lantern despite the multiple ones in the comic lore. I think this whole Green Lantern thing is much ado about nothing so far as the park is concerned.

Paul

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by squirrels at 6/2/12 12:10:50 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

And it is ironic that Gradv has 2 Batman coasters when there is only 1 Batman character, but 1 Green Lantern despite the multiple ones in the comic lore. I think this whole Green Lantern thing is much ado about nothing so far as the park is concerned.

Paul

It won't be "nothing" when DC decides they want more money for the rights to the character themes and Six Flags has to re-brand every ride in their parks. That'll be "much ado" for sure. Welcome back, Chang and Medusa. And maybe they'll just demolish TDK. :)

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/2/12 2:06:19 PM
Lol, and they'll rename B:TR 'goliath' because that's the only name they can come up with. I can see S:UF becoming just 'UF'. Nah, no need to scrap DK, just move it to the looney toons side and rename it after one of those characters :)
Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by alpengeistno3 at 6/2/12 4:10:43 PM
squirrels said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

It won't be "nothing" when DC decides they want more money for the rights to the character themes and Six Flags has to re-brand every ride in their parks. That'll be "much ado" for sure. Welcome back, Chang and Medusa. And maybe they'll just demolish TDK. :)

Umm, can you say "random"? What does that have to do with SF retheming the coaster because the comic character is gay?

Paul

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by squirrels at 6/2/12 6:25:01 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Umm, can you say "random"? What does that have to do with SF retheming the coaster because the comic character is gay?
Paul

I thought we were supposed to avoid discussion about gay Green Lantern to prevent a flame-war. The notion of re-theming is ridiculous anyway. The lantern corps is made up of all kinds of different species...it stands to reason that one of them might be gay...many of them probably don't reproduce sexually to begin with. I don't see how it affects their ability to fight crime. :p

Let's be honest...the thread was started not to talk about re-theming, but to start a snicker-fest about a gay comic-book character, which really belongs in the "Anything Goes" section, if anywhere. What intelligent discussion, exactly, do you expect to come from that topic? Besides jokes about making the trains look like dongs and turning that parallax monster at the bottom of the loop into a giant arse? :p

I thought it was germane to the original topic to discuss the DC theming of the 6F rides in general. Either way, a loss-of-rights re-theming is far more likely than a sexual re-theming of "Green Lantern".

I just look at what happened to Kings Dominion when they lost the Paramount rights. People are probably still scratching their heads wondering what "Backlot Stunt Coaster" is supposed to represent, and the whole "Wayne's World" section of the park seems disjoint and out-of-place. With all of the theming pulled, it really does leave a park struggling for identity.

It makes me wonder just how much it improves their business for 6 Flags to use DC Comics naming rights to begin with. I remember going to see the Smurfs and Scooby-Doo at KD when they had the Hanna-Barbera theming, but that's more of a 4-8 age thing than a comic-book-age thing. Do kids care?

* This post was modified at 6/2/12 6:32:08 PM *

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/2/12 8:04:05 PM
squirrels said:

Let's be honest...the thread was started not to talk about re-theming, but to start a snicker-fest about a gay comic-book character, which really belongs in the "Anything Goes" section, if anywhere.

You have to get to know your board members better - Mike G would NEVER start a thread on the basis you presented. He is neither a prejudiced person nor a homophobe. Not even close. And while he may not have thought it through that this topic could take on a life of its own and go in a bad direction if some of the more immature posters take it that way, it was a discussion about the character/name of a current coaster so it does belong here.

What intelligent discussion, exactly, do you expect to come from that topic? Besides jokes about making the trains look like dongs and turning that parallax monster at the bottom of the loop into a giant arse? :p

Thank you for proving my point about immature posters.

Jen

* This post was modified at 6/2/12 8:04:52 PM *

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by squirrels at 6/2/12 10:06:53 PM
GoYanks34 said:

squirrels said:

Let's be honest...the thread was started not to talk about re-theming, but to start a snicker-fest about a gay comic-book character, which really belongs in the "Anything Goes" section, if anywhere.

You have to get to know your board members better - Mike G would NEVER start a thread on the basis you presented.

Oh boy. :/

You're right...I don't know "Mike G" personally, so I can only go by what's posted:

beastmaster said:

I was putting this up facetiously and to be silly,

Like I said, "snicker-fest". :p

You think I'm getting on his case. I'm not...I don't really care, as you can see by my own "silliness". I got jumped for talking about the ride-retheming part of this post instead of the gay part. Really, there's nothing to talk about on the "gay" angle. A third-tier character in a comic book is gay. The ride is not getting re-themed.

* This post was modified at 6/2/12 10:07:28 PM *

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by alpengeistno3 at 6/2/12 10:26:52 PM
squirrels said:

You think I'm getting on his case. I'm not...I don't really care, as you can see by my own "silliness". I got jumped for talking about the ride-retheming part of this post instead of the gay part.

Actually, you got jumped on for bringing up ride retheming that had nothing to do with the character in question. Where did anyone mention Six Flags dropping the DC license until you brought it up out of nowhere?

When I said the whole thing was "much ado about" nothing, I meant Six Flags will most likely not do anything to Green Lantern (and most likely any of their comic-book themed attractions) based on a new direction of the comics. When you quoted me, you missed that part.

Paul

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by squirrels at 6/3/12 12:05:08 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

squirrels said:

You think I'm getting on his case. I'm not...I don't really care, as you can see by my own "silliness". I got jumped for talking about the ride-retheming part of this post instead of the gay part.

Actually, you got jumped on for bringing up ride retheming that had nothing to do with the character in question. Where did anyone mention Six Flags dropping the DC license until you brought it up out of nowhere?

When I said the whole thing was "much ado about" nothing, I meant Six Flags will most likely not do anything to Green Lantern (and most likely any of their comic-book themed attractions) based on a new direction of the comics. When you quoted me, you missed that part.

Paul

I apologize for "derailing the thread", then. I probably should've just kept my mouth shut. Sometimes I have a related thought and just run with it.

Re: Does This Mean GAdv's "Newest" Ride Will Be Re-Themed? by alpengeistno3 at 6/3/12 9:11:42 PM
squirrels said:

I apologize for "derailing the thread", then. I probably should've just kept my mouth shut. Sometimes I have a related thought and just run with it.

It's all good. It was a joke thread to begin with. You just have to remember that if you click that "reply with quote" button, you are speaking to that person about the point they made. If what you says doesn't relate, it could come back to bite you. Better to just use the regular "reply" button unless there is something you specifically want to address in the previous point.

You did bring up an interesting point, regardless. If I remember correctly, when Premier first signed the deal with Time Warner to buy Six Flags, the rights to the characters were included in the deal. As long as Time Warner continues to hold the rights to those characters, Six Flags is free to use them without additional charge (much like how Cedar Fair got the rights to the Peanut's characters from acquiring Knotts).

Cedar Fair's deal with CBS did not include the Paramount/Hanna Barbera characters and had a specific timeline for Cedar Fair to either renegotiate the use of those characters or eliminate all the trademarks from the parks. They chose to do the later.

So if I am remembering the terms correctly, we are talking about two completely different circumstances.

Paul