Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12

TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12

ktujon ktujon Profile

Posted:
5/27/12 at
6:00:50 PM

This is my first post and also my first trip to Cedar Point! I went with my roomate and two other people that made the 4 of us we left from Central PA and stayed overnight at the Econo Lodge North across the street for 55 bucks I was glad I didn't get bed bugs that night!
but I was aware that on this date Math and Science week was going on so I was anticipating a crowd of high school students to take over the park, as I have experienced something like this when I went to Six Flags Great Adventure. Many of you people may be wondering how bad is the crowds for Math and Science Days and I would say 75% of the attendees make up for it. I had a bad encounter with a high school student as he blocked off the entrance to the Raptor at the end of my day. From what I heard from a chaperone the kids were expected to leave the park around 6:45pm when the park closed at 8 so I would say they were there for majority of the day.

So I arrived at the park around 10:30am had to stop by the drug store cuz one of the attendees was sick. But first stop was the Wicked Twister and it was closed, next stop was the Iron Dragon which was a walk on, not a very exciting ride but a good warmup. Mantis was next which was pretty much a walk on as well maybe waited for 2 trains to get on, the ride was very good but since I stood up straight I felt pain in my crotch at times during the ride I wish I would have crouched alittle before that standup restraint locked in place so it wouldn't keep stabbing in me! Next was Millenium Force waited about 15min before entering the station and was a pretty decent ride nothing too surprising very similar to Intimdator 305 at Kings Dominion the lift was a bit slower but didn't have shoulder restraints in the cars which I prefer better. Next was the Maverick which was closed then moved onto Mean Streak which was about a 10min wait, not a very excited ride, I was just amazed at how much wood was put into the coaster as we coasted through the tunnels of it. Walked by the Gemini next only to find that it got stuck and there seemed to be a 15min wait for it as well. Magnum XL200 was next which had no wait to the station maybe waited for a few trains to get on near the front, the ride was comparable to Millenium Force the first drop felt the same to me, I enjoy the little hills as it threw me up and often, the one thing I didn't lift was the lap bars were made of pure metal and whenever we went up on the little hills it would stab me in the thighs right on my nerve! If they added padding on the lap bars the ride would be more enjoyable. Next up was the Top Thrill Dragster! the wait was about 45min to the station and about another 15min for the front car.

Here's what I noticed about Fast Lane users since I see many people post questions about it: They enter through a different entrance into the station by an attendant and I believe they had the choice of which car but they pretty much enter the back of the line into the station therefore with the wristband they wore they bypass the 40min I waited in the regular line; something I could see useful in doing for anticipated crowded day and I could see them bumping up the price for it as well.

The only difference I could tell from Dragster and Kingdaka aside from the hill after the drop was that Dragster seemed to have more force in the drop than Kingdaka had as in that I was being pulled down because Kingdaka's first drop felt really slow from the top. After our ride the train after us got stuck in the launch zone so we waited 15min on the track before we could get unloaded. While waiting in line for the Top Thrill Dragster I noticed Wicked Twister was running so after getting off I rushed over there to my delight of waited maybe three rides before getting into the front seat of the Wicked Twister, definitely an enjoyable ride I like anything that's launched! I rode the Windseeker which was a nice felt the breeze of Lake Erie and got a nice view of the park, I noticed Maverick was running and rushed over there to find a long line waiting. It was about 1pm when arrived at the back of the line, about the time we reached into the station was about a 1 ride away from boarding the train got stuck in the launch tunnel! A good amount of people walked out from the station and we pretty much watch them run all 6 of their trains of empty passengers for about 17times it felt like a good 30min before they started to board again. By then the line suddenly appeared again so quickly to even think about going back for a second ride! Despite the long wait I enjoyed the ride, I liked the launch up the hill and of course the launch in the tunnel and overall was a smooth ride!

By the time we got off was around 3:30pm. My roomate was hungry so we went to Famous Daves we had to get our hand stamped (right hand only which was weird to me though you could pick any hand) the bbq platter we got was good very pricey everything was close to $20 an entree. Came back there was no wait for Gemini I was surprised how smooth the ride was as it seemed like a wooden coaster but obviously it was on steel. Rode on Corkscrew which was no wait either, I can't ride Arrow Looping coasters anymore, the should restraints are way too low for me it was crushing on my shoulder during the entire ride, I was surprise how smooth the loop and the corkscrews were and how short of a ride it was! Rode on Blue Streak which was no wait either pretty short ride as well. I totally forgot about Disaster Transport since its in a building by Wicked Twister that was a walk on as well it was very humid inside, I liked how it was pitch black and couldn't see where you were going. Ended the day on Raptor with no wait about 2 trains for the front car, very long ride which I liked. Then the incident I mentioned at the begining where a high schooler blocked me from going on the Raptor again but by then my roomate and the others wanted to leave so I felt disappointed that I wanted to continue riding til the park closed but at 6:30 we left the park.

So to recap: Iron Dragon (0) Mantis (0) Millenium Force (15min) Mean Streak (10min) Magnum XL 200 (0) Top Thrill Dragster (45min +15min) Wicked Twister (0) Maverick (1:30) Gemini (0) Corkscrew (0) Blue Streak (0) Disaster Transport (0) Raptor (0)

* This post was modified at 5/27/12 6:36:59 PM *

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/27/12 6:15:19 PM
Mean Streak has tunnels? Hmmm. My memory must be failing. No surprise there.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 5/27/12 6:19:06 PM
tunnels of wood I mean not pitch black tunnels
Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 *NM* by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/27/12 6:20:05 PM
^ Ah.
Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/27/12 6:25:53 PM
beastmaster said:

It's not your memory this time - there's no tunnels on Mean Streak. Either they were confusing it with Maggie or were talking about when the track runs in between the other tracks creating a tunnel-like sensation.

Jen

LOL - just saw your reply after I posted!

* This post was modified at 5/27/12 6:26:16 PM *

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/27/12 6:33:32 PM
Just an FYI: When posting trip reports try and make paragraphs so you don't type one huge one. It makes it difficult to read/respond when there are no breaks in the writing.

Jen

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/27/12 6:34:49 PM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

It's not your memory this time - there's no tunnels on Mean Streak. Either they were confusing it with Maggie or were talking about when the track runs in between the other tracks creating a tunnel-like sensation.

Jen

LOL - just saw your reply after I posted!

"This time?" :)

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 5/28/12 12:27:16 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Just an FYI: When posting trip reports try and make paragraphs so you don't type one huge one.
Jen

BS - It Easy to change what part you want to include in your Reply quote.

Why discourage any new user from writing a TR?

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/28/12 4:09:35 PM
KevinReid said:

GoYanks34 said:

Just an FYI: When posting trip reports try and make paragraphs so you don't type one huge one.
Jen

BS - It Easy to change what part you want to include in your Reply quote.

Why discourage any new user from writing a TR?

Regards,
Kevin Reid

I was in NO WAY discouraging anyone from writing anything - I love it when we get new members and always welcome them. I was just giving pointers on how to write their TR - It is MUCH easier to read now with paragraphs then with each line flowing into the next for an entire page. I doubt many would disagree with that. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

Jen

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/28/12 4:25:03 PM
ktujon said:

This is my first post and also my first trip to Cedar Point!

Welcome!

Mantis was next which was pretty much a walk on as well maybe waited for 2 trains to get on, the ride was very good but since I stood up straight I felt pain in my crotch at times during the ride I wish I would have crouched alittle before that standup restraint locked in place so it wouldn't keep stabbing in me!

There is a strategic method to this - you want it so the seat isn't riding up your crotch but yet not too low that so isn't stabbing your inner thighs. Whoever designed those seats must have had the widest crotch area ever! And I'm a girl - can't imagine how much more uncomfortable it must be for a guy!

Next was Millenium Force waited about 15min before entering the station and was a pretty decent ride nothing too surprising very similar to Intimdator 305 at Kings Dominion the lift was a bit slower but didn't have shoulder restraints in the cars which I prefer better.

Here I completely disagree with you. I-305 is so fast that I don't even get a "wee" (butterflies in the stomach) on it while Millie gives me an awesome one on that first drop. I think they are entirely 2 different rides and I prefer MF hands down.

Magnum XL200 was next which had no wait to the station maybe waited for a few trains to get on near the front, the ride was comparable to Millenium Force the first drop felt the same to me, I enjoy the little hills as it threw me up and often, the one thing I didn't lift was the lap bars were made of pure metal and whenever we went up on the little hills it would stab me in the thighs right on my nerve! If they added padding on the lap bars the ride would be more enjoyable.

I never noticed the lap bars hurting - perhaps since you're taller it feels differently. That's one of my favorites in the park and I put it at a tie with MF.

While waiting in line for the Top Thrill Dragster I noticed Wicked Twister was running so after getting off I rushed over there to my delight of waited maybe three rides before getting into the front seat of the Wicked Twister, definitely an enjoyable ride I like anything that's launched!

I'm a launch junkie as well - you should have sat in the back - second to last row right side. that's the best seat in the house!

I noticed Maverick was running and rushed over there to find a long line waiting. It was about 1pm when arrived at the back of the line, about the time we reached into the station was about a 1 ride away from boarding the train got stuck in the launch tunnel! A good amount of people walked out from the station and we pretty much watch them run all 6 of their trains of empty passengers for about 17times it felt like a good 30min before they started to board again. By then the line suddenly appeared again so quickly to even think about going back for a second ride! Despite the long wait I enjoyed the ride, I liked the launch up the hill and of course the launch in the tunnel and overall was a smooth ride! By the time we got off was around 3:30pm.

Maverick has the worst track record (no pun intended) in the park IMO - every time I've been there I've wasted a good portion of my life waiting on line for it to just break down again. While it's an OK ride I could live without it. Not worth the time I've invested standing in line for a ride - that's for sure!

Rode on Corkscrew which was no wait either, I can't ride Arrow Looping coasters anymore, the should restraints are way too low for me it was crushing on my shoulder during the entire ride, I was surprise how smooth the loop and the corkscrews were and how short of a ride it was!

If that coaster wasn't such a staple to the walkway in that area I bet it would have been gone a long time ago. Painful and short!

Glad you had a good time!

Jen

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 5/28/12 8:09:06 PM
thanks jen, the text box is kinda small so I didn't have time to make the formats since I didn't realize how much I wrote. I would prefer making an excel spreadsheet since there were so many rides to list.

When I rode Kingdaka twice, once in the front seat and another time near the back, there was definitely a huge difference when riding in the front seat you can feel your face coming off which I enjoyed as opposed to not feeling it at all when sitting near the back seat.

I'll be checking how bad they're operating skyrush soon!

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/28/12 8:15:33 PM
ktujon said:

thanks jen, the text box is kinda small so I didn't have time to make the formats since I didn't realize how much I wrote. I would prefer making an excel spreadsheet since there were so many rides to list.

When I rode Kingdaka twice, once in the front seat and another time near the back, there was definitely a huge difference when riding in the front seat you can feel your face coming off which I enjoyed as opposed to not feeling it at all when sitting near the back seat.

I'll be checking how bad they're operating skyrush soon!

We are planning a trip ti Hershey on 6/14 (tentative date) with members from this board so if you'd like to join us you're more than welcome!

And KK is my personal favorite - SFGadv is my home park - and I will not sit anywhere but the first 2 rows. I HATE the back on that one too! But WT is completely different - in that row you get the most awesome view when your up on the spike. It's a little insider secret I was told from some people here once and I'm sure glad I knew about it. Keep it in mind for next time.

Jen

* This post was modified at 5/28/12 9:01:57 PM *

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 5/29/12 12:31:10 AM
So I'm going to Cedar Point in 2 weeks. I plan on getting the flash pass.(don't know what it's called here). But I will be doing my first TR. But what would you guys prefer the format to be? I'm thinking about making a list of all the rides that I ride and give my opinion on them. And post all of my pictures at the end. Or would you rather have it following time in the order of the day?

Brandon

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/29/12 9:29:54 AM
rollercoastersfreak said:

So I'm going to Cedar Point in 2 weeks. I plan on getting the flash pass.(don't know what it's called here). But I will be doing my first TR. But what would you guys prefer the format to be? I'm thinking about making a list of all the rides that I ride and give my opinion on them. And post all of my pictures at the end. Or would you rather have it following time in the order of the day?

Brandon

Write it however you want! My only complaint was his was one, long run-on paragraph - not the style he used to write it. Everyone's different and people write their TR in their own style. Some do it chronologically telling the story of the day and some by the rides. Doesn't matter. I didn't mean to open a can of worms here....

Have fun and don't forget - second to last row right side for Wicked Twister!

Jen

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 5/29/12 9:42:08 AM
Ok ill remember that. I think I'm going to do it by ride and have all the pictures at the end.
Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/29/12 10:33:56 AM

Brandon

What days are you going? I'll be at Six Flags St. Louis either on Saturday June 9th or Sunday June 10th. When I know for sure, I'll post it on this thread. I'll have 3 kids with me, but maybe we can meet up at SF St. Louis. I remember that you usually visit that park on the weekends.

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 5/29/12 12:05:51 PM
Well actually that the weekend I'm at cedar point. But make sure you hit Batman first since its one of the most popular rides here.

Brandon

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/29/12 4:37:14 PM

Well actually that the weekend I'm at cedar point. But make sure you hit Batman first since its one of the most popular rides here.

Brandon

Thanks. I catch up with you next time. Have fun at Cedar Point.

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 5/29/12 6:00:41 PM
Well I thought about it and if I don't have to work in Thursday I may be able to go then. I went today and rode Mr freeze 7 times Boss 9 times. It was so slow. And a bunch of school bands were here also. So a weekday might actually be the time to go.
Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 by squirrels at 5/30/12 1:28:21 PM
So Cedar Fair sold out and put in a "Fast Lane", huh?

That's a crying shame. Oh well...I guess rich people are more important to Cedar Fair than the rest of us. "Line jumpers will be ejected! Well, unless they pay us off first..."

Cedar Point's coasters are really hit-n-miss reliability-wise. First time I was there, MF was down for like 1 1/2-2 hours, then Maverick was down most of the morning. I don't know what it is about that LSM design...some days it just doesn't want to work.

Top Thrill...well, all those Intamin launch coasters seem to have "down-time" once in a while.

It's frustrating, but especially so with Cedar Point, since many people are driving hundreds of miles to check the park out and the coaster lines run 2+ hours. It's hard to feel like you really "saturated yourself" on the coaster experience...you start feeling like you've spent your entire day in lines. Then again, I've been fortunate enough to find out about the "good" times to hit the park for coaster-ing.

I feel you on Arrow loopers. I didn't even ride Corkscrew, and I was there twice last year. Anaconda at KD actually sprained my neck last year and I knew the wifey's bad neck wouldn't put up with any of that. I'm surprised that Mean Streak didn't beat you up, though.

Re: TR: Cedar Point 5/14/12 *NM* by coasterwife4life at 7/16/12 10:28:46 AM
LOL