Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy

Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
5/26/12 at
1:10:29 AM

I’ve had the opportunity to ride Skyrush finally. It’s not important when I rode it, but since there was an event tonight, which a friend of mine attended, I figured it was safe to share my thoughts on the ride, which will be very detailed. I apologize in advance for the length.

I certainly understand how folks in and around Hershey are very excited for this ride. It is the largest ride in Hersheypark’s long history. I’m sure this will go over as a hit with the locals, and I’m sure Skyrush will bring people through the gates.

But any way you look at it, Hersheypark is late to the 200 foot party. In fact, you could argue that they are the LAST major U.S park to get a 200 foot roller coaster. So, while there certainly should be celebration, for me there's a bit of “it’s about time…”. Also, I can’t help but think that if they had built their 200 foot ride earlier, it would have saved a lot of money and trouble associated with having to build it where they did.

I tend to sometimes overhype things in my mind before I experience them. As a result, things that I anticipate as being incredible sometimes fall short - at least short of those lofty expectations. I can’t say that’s the case with Skyrush. I was thoroughly underwhelmed when the ride was announced. I was disappointed by the ride length, among other things.

Having said that, and having grown up going to Hersheypark, I was still highly anticipating the long awaited opening of a megacoaster – something I had been waiting for since I rode Magnum for the first time in 1997. So, even though I’ve been a bit underwhelmed with Skyrush to this point, I was certainly looking forward to giving it a ride. So, I was excited to ride, but realistic with my expectations.

Appearance

I guess I’m on the fence with the appearance. I’ll start with the good.

The one good thing about building Skyrush where they did is that the ride is absolutely stunning over the water, especially when it’s running. Skyrush is a very photogenic coaster when you’re on the new walking path along the creek. The bright yellow track really pops on those sky-blue supports – which seem very minimal. The new path is one of the best parts of this whole new attraction. It’s beautiful back there along the water.

Two trains for the price of one!

From Comet Hollow, Skyrush is ugly. It looks like it was just “plopped” right on top of Comet. The brake run and its footers are totally exposed on the midway. The station is actually pretty large too. The lift hill looks just fine, but the rest of the ride in the Hollow is a bit of an eyesore.

The Trains

Going in, I thought the trains would be the really big plus for Skyrush, and I still feel that way. They are just wonderful in the freedom they give. The middle seats are very high, and the winged seats are totally open.

You feel vulnerable, but safe throughout the entire ride, from lift to brakes. The lap bars feel very minimal, except on your actual lap. You are STAPLED in - for good reason. But the edge of the padding just presses so hard against you, and you really feel it throughout the major negative G moments on the ride. Honestly, you can’t help but notice it as you ride. It’s a bit painful.

On change I would have made with the trains is to have the outside seats on the same level as the middle seats, as they do sit about a foot lower. It will make for odd pairings of riders with groups of two. Essentially, unless you and your partner sit in the middle two seats, you’re not really riding together.

If you both load to the far side of the train (like normal) the first person rides lower and a bit staggered from their partner. If you both want outside seats, you leave the middle open for two others. If you both take the middle seats, you’re separating the other pair. With a full queue, this ride could be touble with loading and unloading.

Factor all that with the fact that you load and unload from the same side of the station, and you really can have some capacity issues. Additionally, they are allowing loose articles in the station, and have these new “lazy susan” style bins. The bins are actually pretty neat but shouldn’t be there. I feel that Skyrush, for capacity’s sake, should have been one of those rides that has a no-loose articles policy, with free or $1 lockers at the entrance – just for capacity’s sake.

My friend was at the event tonight for contest winners after the park closed. He said there were 5+ minute delays between dispatches. Riders kept exiting the “wrong” side of the train, and it does take a while for the loading platform to clear. Combine that with loading and lap bar checking – it isn’t going to be pretty when the line is long. I hope they can improve it, but I’m not sure how they can. People will always be people…

The Ride

I know what you’re saying… “Enough with the other stuff. How does it ride?” The answer is very good. It’s not really near the best coaster I’ve ridden, but it’s still a very fun ride.

It’s over before you know it. It definitely feels like it’s only 3600 feet long. You really fly though the course. But, unlike Storm Runner for example, Skyrush feels like a complete ride with a nice beginning, middle, and end. Sure it could have been longer, but in the end, it is very fun and will keep you getting back in line.

Here’s the play by play:

The lift is very fast. I didn’t really notice it being any faster than I-305’s, but I’m sure it is. You really fly out of the station. You get to the top very quickly, and as a result, there is HUGE airtime in the back of the train as you crest the lift. Skyrush has a fabulous 200 foot drop. You actually feel two pops on the first hill – one when you crest and the other when you hit 85 degrees. It feels like the train is trying to dump you out twice. The drop is very steep and twists smoothly at the end, with a very smooth pull-out.

The tail end of Skyrush's first drop from the new path.

Is it the best first drop I’ve ever ridden? No. El Toro is still the best. And I wouldn’t rank Skyrush’s drop as better than I-305’s or Millennium Force’s either. But, it’s still very, very good – easily top 5 in the U.S.

The second hill is amazing. The negative G’s are quite intense here and very sustained. But then the train, even though it’s really moving, starts to lose just a bit speed around that first turn and into the second hill. Those trains are HEAVY. I actually slightly grayed out on the first turn. It’s pretty powerful.

The third hill, under the crisscross, isn’t quite as good as the hill above it, but it’s still very good. I can’t say I felt any sort of tug from trim brake number one, which is mounted on the back side of this hill. You get a semblance of a head-chopper here, with the first air-hill above you as you crest the second. I really feel like this was bit of a missed opportunity. That could have been the greatest head-chopper of all time if that lower hill was just 5-10 feet taller.

Skyrush decends its second air hill. Trim #1 is below the train here.

Next you get your second high-speed turn. Here you really feel the train losing a little momentum. The diving turn that follows is pretty fun, but I found myself wishing it was a straight bunny-hop. You hit trim brake number two as you exit the element. I could feel this one, but just a little.

That hill is followed by another high-speed turn, which by this point was getting just a bit monotonous. There is a great air-inducing, Intamin-style twisting hill that follows – very nice. It is followed by a simple and very effective bunny hill that has trim brake number three on its ascent – which I noticed as well. It still feels minimal, but you can tell it’s there if you know it’s there. Did that make sense?

Skyrush's final bunny hill - more like "jackrabbit" hill...

You pull out and climb into this close-to-90 degree turn, which has some oomph to it. You drop down slightly and pull up into the reduction brakes – probably a little pop of air in the front – which I didn’t ride.

You exit the brakes and gravity takes you back to the station via a banked turn over Comet and a nice final dip into the transfer brakes – cutting it close to Comet’s station on the right side of the train.

Overall, Skyrush is a great ride. I’ll need a few more spins on it to know what I really think. It didn’t blow me away, to be perfectly honest, like the rest of my top 10 steel did. If I had to place it right now, it would be just outside. But it did live up to my expectations, even if they weren’t as high as some others’ were. I think everyone who can, should pay Hersheypark a visit this year and ride Skyrush.

I plan to get back soon to ride some more, but also to see how efficiently it’s running for a more-full queue and with two trains. I also need to give Looper a spin with its new trains. Keep an eye out for a follow-up.

* This post was modified at 5/30/12 7:31:44 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/26/12 3:22:12 AM
I appreciate the TR, Drachen.

First off, I'll say I was disappointed in the first layouts I saw of Sky Rush. It looks bland and unimaginative. Just a big figure-8. And short. I'm not surprised by your report.

But I am happy to hear about the first drop. Your report reminds me of Morgan hypers - you get different pops of airtime as the train hits increasing angles of decent. At the crest and when the track hits its steepest point. This sounds awesome.

So overall your reaction is what I expected, but I can't really say much until I ride myself.

Why do the load and unload on the same side? Makes no sense.

Thanks for the TR!

- Pat-O

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 5/26/12 10:07:56 AM
LoneStar said:

First off, I'll say I was disappointed in the first layouts I saw of Sky Rush. It looks bland and unimaginative. Just a big figure-8. And short. I'm not surprised by your report.

I hope I didn't come across as too negative. Skyrush is a very intense ride, and it is a ton of fun. It's one of the best coasters out there. I just felt that there was some room from improvement, including the layout.

Now that I think about it, that's par for the course for Hershey's steel coasters.

LoneStar said:

But I am happy to hear about the first drop. Your report reminds me of Morgan hypers - you get different pops of airtime as the train hits increasing angles of decent. At the crest and when the track hits its steepest point. This sounds awesome.

So overall your reaction is what I expected, but I can't really say much until I ride myself.

Why do the load and unload on the same side? Makes no sense.

Upon thinking about it some more, Skyrush does have a top 5 first drop for me. It's that good.

I only hope they figure out a way to improve the time between dispatches. Apparently, it was horrible last night. Time will tell. Perhaps there's a way they can change it for next season, if it proves costly this year.

Thanks for reading. Hope you can make your way up to ride it soon.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by warfelg21 at 5/26/12 5:00:43 PM
I was there last night too for the preview, ride one, row one.

On the appearance: I think they did a good job with that they had to work with. Most the landscaping is young and will take time to grow in. I say give it 4-6 years and let the trees and bushes grow in and you can see how it all fits together.

I think the trains are amazing and I hope intamin starts spreading the minimal look (not the winged seats, I want that all for us only). But the open look is just amazing. As far as the difference between the middle seat and the wing seat isn't as bad as it seams. The loading and unloading needs to get better. I think as time goes in and the ride ops get better at getting things done while the train is out load and unload will be smoother.

I agree on having lockers or something outside. However I think as time goes on (much like load/unload) ride ops will get better at telling people in line everything must go in the bins. There is no way you can ride with anything loose on.

As for the ride experience...I don't think much comes close. Personally that drop is the best I've ever been on. The drop had three distinctive parts to me. The 'slingshot' from the lift, the 85* drop section, and the dive turn. That effect puts it in a class to itself to me. In the front seat on that first ride I don't think the train lost any momentum or felt slowed by the trims. The airtime hills gave massive pop. Yea the lap bars were a little annoying, but nice that they didn't kill your badder on airtime. The bar hit the right place to keep you in but give that awesome negative g feeling.

But I feel like the ride doesn't really start till the second half. That turn into the stengal is electrifying. The transition back to upright is smoother than any other Intamin out there. The train I was on gave a little airtime pop into the turn. The snap transition on the next hill is AMAZING!! On the left side the seat gets yanked out from under you until your body finally falls to the seat. In the right side you get thrown out of the car. The next bunny hill gives a great pop late and the 90* turn is a nice late surprise.

Overall this was the best I have ever rode.

Sorry for the length of this.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/26/12 5:20:16 PM
drachen said:

I tend to sometimes overhype things in my mind before I experience them. As a result, things that I anticipate as being incredible sometimes fall short - at least short of those lofty expectations.

Me too!

The Trains

Going in, I thought the trains would be the really big plus for Skyrush, and I still feel that way. They are just wonderful in the freedom they give. The middle seats are very high, and the winged seats are totally open.

You feel vulnerable, but safe throughout the entire ride, from lift to brakes. The lap bars feel very minimal, except on your actual lap. You are STAPLED in - for good reason. But the edge of the padding just presses so hard against you, and you really feel it throughout the major negative G moments on the ride. Honestly, you can’t help but notice it as you ride. It’s a bit painful.

That's disappointing - I thought the restraints looked somewhat comfortable and free. Glad I know this before I ride so I know what to expect. Can you manipulate the restraints at all when they are stapling in so they're not so tight?

One change I would have made with the trains is to have the outside seats on the same level as the middle seats, as they do sit about a foot lower. It will make for odd pairings of riders with groups of two. Essentially, unless you and your partner sit in the middle two seats, you’re not really riding together.

Is it staggered like Diamondback?

The Ride

Here’s the play by play:

The lift is very fast. I didn’t really notice it being any faster than I-305’s, but I’m sure it is. You really fly out of the station. You get to the top very quickly, and as a result, there is HUGE airtime in the back of the train as you crest the lift.

That will FREAK me out - fast lifts always do. I do the cry/moan every time I go up on ET or MF. Don't know why - I get the feeling that we are going to fly right over the top. It's funny when I ride with strangers b/c I start to clench the bar/moan on the way up and once I hit the top my hands fly up in the air and all is well in the world again - people look at me like I'm crazy!

Skyrush has a fabulous 200 foot drop. You actually feel two pops on the first hill – one when you crest and the other when you hit 85 degrees. It feels like the train is trying to dump you out twice. The drop is very steep and twists smoothly at the end, with a very smooth pull-out.

Is it the best first drop I’ve ever ridden? No. El Toro is still the best. And I wouldn’t rank Skyrush’s drop as better than I-305’s or Millennium Force’s either. But, it’s still very, very good – easily top 5 in the U.S.

I'm liking that!

The second hill is amazing. The negative G’s are quite intense here and very sustained. But then the train, even though it’s really moving, starts to lose just a bit speed around that first turn and into the second hill. Those trains are HEAVY. I actually slightly grayed out on the first turn. It’s pretty powerful.

Sounding good!

The third hill, under the crisscross, isn’t quite as good as the hill above it, but it’s still very good. I can’t say I felt any sort of tug from trim brake number one, which is mounted on the back side of this hill. You get a semblance of a head-chopper here, with the first air-hill above you as you crest the second. I really feel like this was bit of a missed opportunity. That could have been the greatest head-chopper of all time if that lower hill was just 5-10 feet taller.

Don't you hate that? When one, fairly simple, tweak could've made a huge difference?

Next you get your second high-speed turn. Here you really feel the train losing a little momentum. The diving turn that follows is pretty fun, but I found myself wishing it was a straight bunny-hop. You hit trim brake number two as you exit the element. I could feel this one, but just a little.

That hill is followed by another high-speed turn, which by this point was getting just a bit monotonous. There is a great air-inducing, Intamin-style twisting hill that follows – very nice. It is followed by a simple and very effective bunny hill that has trim brake number three on its ascent – which I noticed as well. It still feels minimal, but you can tell it’s there if you know it’s there. Did that make sense?

Yep. I prefer bunnies too!

You pull out and climb into this close-to-90 degree turn, which has some oomph to it. You drop down slightly and pull up into the reduction brakes – probably a little pop of air in the front – which I didn’t ride.

The way you describe it it sounds like such a long coaster - how the hell did you remember every element? Impressive!

Overall, Skyrush is a great ride. I’ll need a few more spins on it to know what I really think. It didn’t blow me away, to be perfectly honest, like the rest of my top 10 steel did. If I had to place it right now, it would be just outside. But it did live up to my expectations, even if they weren’t as high as some others’ were. I think everyone who can, should pay Hersheypark a visit this year and ride Skyrush.

I plan to get back soon to ride some more, but also to see how efficiently it’s running for a more-full queue and with two trains. I also need to give Looper a spin with its new trains. Keep an eye out for a follow-up.

Are you able to come to our little gathering to Hershey, tentatively June 14th? I hope you can make it- would be great to meet you!

Jen

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 5/26/12 6:03:52 PM
warfelg21 said:

I was there last night too for the preview, ride one, row one.

On the appearance: I think they did a good job with that they had to work with. Most the landscaping is young and will take time to grow in. I say give it 4-6 years and let the trees and bushes grow in and you can see how it all fits together.

Oh, I think the ride and area around the pond are gorgeous already. I don't need to wait 4-6 years to know that... though I do agree that it will get better and better as time goes on. I just don't like the way it looks in the Hollow, aside from the lift.

warfelg21 said:

I think the trains are amazing and I hope intamin starts spreading the minimal look (not the winged seats, I want that all for us only). But the open look is just amazing. As far as the difference between the middle seat and the wing seat isn't as bad as it seams. The loading and unloading needs to get better. I think as time goes in and the ride ops get better at getting things done while the train is out load and unload will be smoother.

I agree on having lockers or something outside. However I think as time goes on (much like load/unload) ride ops will get better at telling people in line everything must go in the bins. There is no way you can ride with anything loose on.

You're right... I love the trains. I hope to see them repeated with only a few tweaks. From an operational standpoint, because not every group of riders is a group of four, you need to lessen the differences between the outer and inner seats.

I agree that the ride ops and event he guests will grow accustomed to it over the years, but ultimately this ride will always have empty seats. That's why the park needs to install a single rider's line on this coaster to fill it out.

I also feel that instead of dealing with loose articles, it would be one less step in the process if you could just eliminate them all together. That would help the exiting rides clear the platform more quickly. I hope they add free or $1 lockers next season, or later this season.

warfelg21 said:

As for the ride experience...I don't think much comes close. Personally that drop is the best I've ever been on. The drop had three distinctive parts to me. The 'slingshot' from the lift, the 85* drop section, and the dive turn. That effect puts it in a class to itself to me. In the front seat on that first ride I don't think the train lost any momentum or felt slowed by the trims. The airtime hills gave massive pop. Yea the lap bars were a little annoying, but nice that they didn't kill your badder on airtime. The bar hit the right place to keep you in but give that awesome negative g feeling.

But I feel like the ride doesn't really start till the second half. That turn into the stengal is electrifying. The transition back to upright is smoother than any other Intamin out there. The train I was on gave a little airtime pop into the turn. The snap transition on the next hill is AMAZING!! On the left side the seat gets yanked out from under you until your body finally falls to the seat. In the right side you get thrown out of the car. The next bunny hill gives a great pop late and the 90* turn is a nice late surprise.

Overall this was the best I have ever rode.

I'm glad you liked it so much! I can't say I really disagree with anything you said. Skyrush really is a great ride.

Welcome aboard URC too...

* This post was modified at 5/26/12 6:04:52 PM *

drachen
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 5/26/12 6:19:02 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Can you manipulate the restraints at all when they are stapling in so they're not so tight?

The way you describe it it sounds like such a long coaster - how the hell did you remember every element? Impressive!

Are you able to come to our little gathering to Hershey, tentatively June 14th? I hope you can make it- would be great to meet you!

Thanks Jen! If the 14th is the day, I will try to make it out to the park. If I do make it, it would have to be for a few hours in the evening.

To answer your questions...

No, there is no way to manipulate the restraints. They feel great in the station, and the ride-ops don't staple you in too badly. But Skyrush will take care of stapling you in at the bottom of the first drop. There's no avoiding it.

The outside seats are slightly staggered and sit lower. I guess it's similar to Diamondback and the other B&M trains - but not quite.

It's really not a very long ride at all. I followed Skyrush's progress pretty closely in the off season. Because of that, I was able to notice and remember almost every detail. I think most riders, upon exiting, will be like "What the hell just happened?"

drachen
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by warfelg21 at 5/26/12 6:55:26 PM
drachen said:

GoYanks34 said:

Can you manipulate the restraints at all when they are stapling in so they're not so tight?

Thanks Jen! If the 14th is the day, I will try to make it out to the park. If I do make it, it would have to be for a few hours in the evening.

To answer your questions...

No, there is no way to manipulate the restraints. They feel great in the station, and the ride-ops don't staple you in too badly. But Skyrush will take care of stapling you in at the bottom of the first drop. There's no avoiding it.

The outside seats are slightly staggered and sit lower. I guess it's similar to Diamondback and the other B&M trains - but not quite.

It's really not a very long ride at all. I followed Skyrush's progress pretty closely in the off season. Because of that, I was able to notice and remember almost every detail. I think most riders, upon exiting, will be like "What the hell just happened?"

From what I understand the restraints were done in a way that the smaller your legs are the more contact they will have with the restraint. I think they missed on those. I think thats the biggest complaint I have.

I agree the staggering of seats is odd. It's not bad unless someone on the far side needs to talk to someone in the que or the winged seat people want to talk...but then gain you're on a coaster, enjoy the ride!

I too like you have been with this for a long time and knew the elements, so I was aware of what was coming. But I feel, although you see and know what is coming, all elements on ride pop much more than expected.

When I was talking about the area I meant in 'The Hollow' I think things will change when the trees grow in. Those trees should block parts of the track, hiding the ending. But I think it's cool to see the lift and brakes and nothing else.

Anyways thanks for the welcome...seems like we see eye to eye, just have two different accounts based on where we sat. Which I love on coasters.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 5/26/12 7:59:14 PM
warfelg21 said:

I agree the staggering of seats is odd. It's not bad unless someone on the far side needs to talk to someone in the que or the winged seat people want to talk...but then gain you're on a coaster, enjoy the ride!

Anyways thanks for the welcome...seems like we see eye to eye, just have two different accounts based on where we sat. Which I love on coasters.

Correct, and we all have different tastes too, which is what makes it fun to discuss.

I think the best, immediate thing Hersheypark can do to expedite the dispatching of trains is to have an extra loading attendant that groups people together before the gates open. They also need to inform people that they MUST move to the farthest unoccupied seat. If they let them know early, the guests can figure out who gets the outside seat ahead of time.

For the future, I would look at having the guests exit on the opposite side of the station toward the back of the train, as there is simply no room in the front. I thought I saw room to squeeze a set of steps under the transfer track. I could be wrong.

If it's possible, those exit steps perhaps can wrap around the back of the station and re-connect with the photo booth where it's currently situated.

The current exit stairs can become the single rider line, that brakes off from the main queue somewhere throughout it's path.

As cool as those "lazy susan" bins are, they need to go away or be moved to the other side. The optimum situation would be an absolute 'no loose articles policy, with lockers down below.

Maybe I'm dreaming... but those changes would be a great way to start moving people through the Skyrush line.

Afterall, mMegacoasters are supposed to have the best capacity in the park, not the worst...

drachen
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by warfelg21 at 5/26/12 8:24:48 PM
Yea I can agree that they messed up some on the station. There isn't enough room by the transfer track to sneak stairs in there. Really the entrance/exit can happen on the same side of the train....if the space between the gates and the train was like 10-15 feet. The lazy susans will work great. The ride ops need to make people get their stuff in the bins long before they are ready to ride.

This is why I think as time goes on things will get better. Also why parks need to do a soft open. Even if the were to give out like 150 badges and you could come when you want that day to ride it. Get used to these odd numbers, busy lines and things like that. Solve that stuff before the GP start bombarding you and the ride ops don't know what to do.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by looper77 at 5/27/12 12:32:12 AM
Thanks for the Skyrush review Drachen!

Hearing about so many trims seems to prove that this should have been a much longer rider. I don't see how one could expect to build a 200-foot-tall ride, and have the track length so short.

Also, from looking at the ride, I thought the Stengel dive should have been another airtime hill instead. The ride is what it is, so I guess there's no point in complaining, but I just can't help but feel that once again, Hershey has come up short on yet another coaster.

From what I gather, the ride seems to deliver on what it has to offer. It's just too bad that it didn't offer more.

I grew up going to Hersheypark every year since my first visit as a kid in 1975. I eagerly awaited a big new coaster to be built during the 80s. After the long wait from the Looper in 1977 to Sidewinder in 1991, I still hoped one day a big steel coaster would come. I guess I will just have to keep waiting...

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/27/12 6:10:10 AM
drachen said:

I never know how to rate and rank a new Intamin. The rides are usually fun but sometimes the restraints can really be a pain (Cheetah Hunt) or maybe the thing doesn't last as long as I was thinking it should (Storm Runner). Anyway, Skyrush, Fahrenheit, Intimidator 305, and Possessed will be new to me this year. I'm going to mess up everything and tell you where I think that they will end up on my whole list in relation to the others by this company.

4 - Millennium Force
9 - Intimidator 305
13 - Skyrush
15 - Superman-Ride of Steel (SFA)
17 - Top Thrill Dragster
20 - Fahrenheit
25 - Maverick
30 - Volcano
35 - Wicked Twister
44 - Avatar Airbender
46 - El Toro
48 - Kingda Ka
49 - Storm Runner
65 - Cheetah Hunt
82 - American Eagle, Red
85 - Possessed
86 - Vertical Velocity

Keep in mind that there will be a total near 300 soon so they can't all be ranked high. This is all just guess work on the new ones so I may end up really far off when it's all said and done in August.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 5/27/12 9:21:33 AM
Thank you for the detailed review of Skyrush. Despite its lackluster stats it sounds like it still held a few surprises for you.

Now I'm torn with where I want to go on vacation this year - ride Verbolten or Skyrush?

G-Dog

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by dburdan dburdan Profile at 5/27/12 6:12:22 PM
Just returned from Hershey a few hours ago. What genius designed the station for this ride. A brand new ride and they could not come up with a better way to load and unload these trains? We were there when the park opened and started in line about 50 feet from the stairs. It took us an hour to ride the front seat. There were easily 5 minutes between dispatches. Who ever thought that loading and unloading from the same side of the train was a good idea is an idiot. Also, the loaded train returns to the station and just sits there until the loading train leaves. All they needed to do was extend the station and allow the second train to unload before it gets back to the loading station (think Millenium). Also the lap bars are painful. This ride has great projector air, but its painful. This ride would be excellent with the B & M claimshell style restraint (think Nitro/Apollos Chariot). I was dissapointed by the experience and the lengthy loading process.
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/27/12 6:21:53 PM
I'm seeing seriously mixed reviews of this ride, here and elsewhere.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by warfelg21 at 5/27/12 11:33:13 PM
dburdan said:

Just returned from Hershey a few hours ago. What genius designed the station for this ride. A brand new ride and they could not come up with a better way to load and unload these trains? We were there when the park opened and started in line about 50 feet from the stairs. It took us an hour to ride the front seat. There were easily 5 minutes between dispatches. Who ever thought that loading and unloading from the same side of the train was a good idea is an idiot. Also, the loaded train returns to the station and just sits there until the loading train leaves. All they needed to do was extend the station and allow the second train to unload before it gets back to the loading station (think Millenium). Also the lap bars are painful. This ride has great projector air, but its painful. This ride would be excellent with the B & M claimshell style restraint (think Nitro/Apollos Chariot). I was dissapointed by the experience and the lengthy loading process.

In terms of your complaint (and others on the same thing), load and unload for this weekend were and will be an unusual time to wait. They weren't sure how the brakes would hold up in the heat and to get the ride ops familiar with operating procedures they limited Skyrush to one train. In the future two will be out on the track hopefully speeding things up!

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 5/28/12 9:52:20 AM
looper77 said:

Hearing about so many trims seems to prove that this should have been a much longer rider. I don't see how one could expect to build a 200-foot-tall ride, and have the track length so short.

Also, from looking at the ride, I thought the Stengel dive should have been another airtime hill instead. The ride is what it is, so I guess there's no point in complaining, but I just can't help but feel that once again, Hershey has come up short on yet another coaster.

It's hard for me to say that they came up short on this one. I wouldn't rate any other Hersheypark steel coaster as "Great", but Skyrush definitely is.

But as we've discussed, it could have been more. It's not more because most of that $25 million budget went to site prep and such. Not as much went into the ride as should have. But that's all a function of poor use of space for previous attractions...

Regarding the trim brakes... many are saying that you can't feel them at all. I disagree, but I also know exactly where they are on the course. Maybe you'r right - with a little more length, perhaps they'd wouldn't be needed.

looper77 said:

From what I gather, the ride seems to deliver on what it has to offer. It's just too bad that it didn't offer more.

I still hoped one day a big steel coaster would come. I guess I will just have to keep waiting...

beastmaster said:

I'm seeing seriously mixed reviews of this ride, here and elsewhere.

Geauga_Dog said:

Thank you for the detailed review of Skyrush. Despite its lackluster stats it sounds like it still held a few surprises for you.

Now I'm torn with where I want to go on vacation this year - ride Verbolten or Skyrush?

I haven't ridden Verbolten yet, but I will soon. From early reviews though, I would advise riding Skyrush if you had to pick between the two.

Then again, if I'm choosing between Hersheypark and Busch Gardens, give me the latter any day...

Maybe one day Hersheypark will build a 300 foot monster, but Skyrush definitely fills a void is HP's coaster line up. I feel like they have a more complete collection now.

Skyrush does what it does well, that's for sure, and some elements did exceed my expectations.

1) The first drop is phenomenal in the back seat.
2) The first negative G hill is insane.
3) The Intamin-style twisting bunny hop (not the "stengel" dive) is really well done.
4) The trains, despite their flaw in the seat orientation, are really cool.

There aren't a lot of flaws in its design. The layout may be a little bland compared to others, but it's still a lot of fun. Perhaps the layout has to do with why Skyrush didn't blow me away.

While the layout may not be the most interesting, the elements on the layout are very good.

Everyone is raving about the airtime - as well they should. But I think it's enhanced just a bit by the tight, pinching lap bars. They make you feel it more.

warfelg21 said:

In terms of your complaint (and others on the same thing), load and unload for this weekend were and will be an unusual time to wait. They weren't sure how the brakes would hold up in the heat and to get the ride ops familiar with operating procedures they limited Skyrush to one train. In the future two will be out on the track hopefully speeding things up!

Dispatch times and capacity will be the major issue with Skyrush for the foreseeable future, and it's got a lot to do with the station design.

I don't doubt that things will speed up some as we move forward, but with people being people, there is really no way to speed up the unloading process.

Had they simply designed a set of stairs on the opposite side of the station for an exit, there would be no issue. I also maintain that they should provide lockers before you enter, and have a 'No Loose Article' policy.

drachen
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 5/28/12 10:07:03 AM
looper77 said:

There is a frame by frame write up on the ride on the WGAL website in which Hershey refers to the ride as not only being "family-friendly" but also a "mega-lite."

drachen said:

Sounds like a cop-out to me...

Literal translation: "We could have put more into this ride, but we're not good at long term planning, and didn't want to spend the money to build this as big as it should have been."

No doubt that Hershey caters to families. I don't dispute that. But that's not the reason their steel coasters don't measure up, despite what they may say. Cost is.

Look how good and intense their wooden coasters are. Heck, look how intense Storm Runner and Fahrenheit are, and how intense Skyrush will be. These aren't "family rides". They are undersized, under-designed big-boy rides.

I've since been reminded of this quote that looper77 shared a few months back. A company representative basically stated that they scrimped on the design to keep it family friendly. I've heard that sentiment before from them.

I think the Skyrush experience proves that this is hogwash, and it's more of what I responded back then. It is not a family-friendly ride by any means. It is a bad-@$$ 63 second experience.

I think there will be a lot of young riders that will pass it up completely, or only ride it once and feel it is too intense.

drachen
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by looper77 at 5/28/12 1:26:10 PM
drachen said:

Sounds like a cop-out to me...

Literal translation: "We could have put more into this ride, but we're not good at long term planning, and didn't want to spend the money to build this as big as it should have been."

No doubt that Hershey caters to families. I don't dispute that. But that's not the reason their steel coasters don't measure up, despite what they may say. Cost is.

Look how good and intense their wooden coasters are. Heck, look how intense Storm Runner and Fahrenheit are, and how intense Skyrush will be. These aren't "family rides". They are undersized, under-designed big-boy rides.

I've since been reminded of this quote that looper77 shared a few months back. A company representative basically stated that they scrimped on the design to keep it family friendly. I've heard that sentiment before from them.

I think the Skyrush experience proves that this is hogwash, and it's more of what I responded back then. It is not a family-friendly ride by any means. It is a bad-@$$ 63 second experience.

I think there will be a lot of young riders that will pass it up completely, or only ride it once and feel it is too intense.

Thanks Drachen for your detailed review and insightful assessment of the ride. We share the same affection towards Hersheypark, without going into fanboy-dom. LOL

Skyrush is definitely not a "family-ride" as there is no way that my mom would ride that! I'm glad to hear that the overall comments about the ride experience tend to be positive, with the loading experience being the main negative.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 5/28/12 11:17:23 PM
I just got back from the park today and I did ride Skyrush twice, once in the front row in one of the wing seats and the second time in row 5 or 6 in a middle seat. The front row wing seat was definitely better/more intense, but I believe that the wing seats are just way better than the middle seats and that it didn't have much to do with what row I was in. Normally I am not big on the whole waiting extra time to ride the front row but I would definitely recommend it here, it is just so much fun.

Other notes, they were running two trains today, and like others have said the lap bars do get very tight and it gets quite painful on your thighs throughout the ride. All in all the positives outweigh the negatives on this ride so I definitely recommend it to anyone who may be able to make it to the area to ride. This may be my new favorite coaster at Hershey, I think I will still have to give it a few more rides before I can decide which is better between this and Storm Runner.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/29/12 9:33:49 PM
hersheyworker said:

This may be my new favorite coaster at Hershey, I think I will still have to give it a few more rides before I can decide which is better between this and Storm Runner.

Good to see you back - it's been a while! I can't believe you're thinking of cheating on Storm Runner! Haven't you been paying attention and seen what happened to KK after I cheated with Griffon? He broke down for the season! LOL! Just don't make it official until after the 14th when we are all going - SR is still my favorite as of now!

If you're going to be around you should stop by and say hello!

Jen

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 5/30/12 7:45:23 PM
Updated my TR with photos.

I made it back to the park recently. I just felt like I had to take another ride. The park opened, and I headed straight down the new path for Skyrush - getting passed by all of the runners.

I waited for the front row, and waited 25 minutes for 4 train cycles (geesh...)

I picked a wing seat. I thoroughly enjoyed Skyrush this time. It still doesn't blow me away, but it is a very good ride.

The front offers a significantly different ride than the back. I can't say which is better, but I felt myself getting thrown around much more in the front. I'm so glad there are not OTS restraints on this ride. One thing I think is certain, Skyrush will give a variety of rides depending on where you sit.

If I were to simply describe the short Skyrush experience, it would be to say that it feels likes it's constantly trying to throw you from the train. I read somewhere that someone said it rides like it wants you off its back. That is a great way to describe it.

When I exited, the queue was almost full. As fun as it is, I wasn't ready to wait another hour. I can't say I've ever waited an hour for anything at Hersheypark.

With the speed with which the trains finish the course, and the 32 seater trains, Skyrush should be a people eater.

Instead, due to the station set-up, the trains don't dispatch efficiently at all. A one hour wait would really frustrate me - knowing it should only be 30 minutes or so.

Enjoy the photos. Even better, go enjoy the ride at some point. Best coaster at Hershey - hands down. And I think, after a second ride, that it cracked my top 10.

* This post was modified at 5/30/12 9:24:04 PM *

drachen
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 5/31/12 12:06:42 AM
GoYanks34 said:

hersheyworker said:

This may be my new favorite coaster at Hershey, I think I will still have to give it a few more rides before I can decide which is better between this and Storm Runner.

Good to see you back - it's been a while! I can't believe you're thinking of cheating on Storm Runner! Haven't you been paying attention and seen what happened to KK after I cheated with Griffon? He broke down for the season! LOL! Just don't make it official until after the 14th when we are all going - SR is still my favorite as of now!

If you're going to be around you should stop by and say hello!

Jen

Thank you! I usually lurk around I just don't always get a chance to post.

So I popped back into the park after work tonight and took 3 more spins on Sky Rush and only waited about 10 minutes for the back/anything but front row. I did ride the front row again, but only because my friend had yet to ride and she wanted to ride the front. After a few more laps on the ride here are some additional notes:

I recommend the front row for a least one ride, it really is worth one go round. The wing/outside seats are way better than the middle seats, I suppose it is because there is nothing under your feet. I prefer the back to the front, especially when going up the lift, it is just so much fun zooming up to the top of the lift from the back. Also, the back isn't as rough as the front (for some odd reason) and believe me your thighs will hurt after riding, but the pain is well worth it.

Oh and Jen don't worry I think Storm Runner will always be my number 1 I just have a soft spot for it probably because it opened the same year that I started working in the park. Although I will also have a soft spot for Sidewinder as well, mostly because of how much I enjoyed working that ride, lol. After my last day of work Sidewinder was closed for close to a week, I must have upset it.

I may stop by after work on whichever day you pick to ride Sky Rush and Storm Runner a few more times.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/31/12 4:09:14 PM
Based on what I've read about the restraints on SkyRush, I'm going to go into thievery mode and steal a nice play on words I saw elsewhere:

SkyRush may henceforth also be referred to as ThighCrush. But only by people who have ridden it. That group does not include me. Yet. I may be indoctrinated two weeks from today.

Mike, figuring it can't be worse than El Toro's lapbar...or CAN it?

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/31/12 4:21:19 PM
beastmaster said:

Based on what I've read about the restraints on SkyRush, I'm going to go into thievery mode and steal a nice play on words I saw elsewhere:

SkyRush may henceforth also be referred to as ThighCrush. But only by people who have ridden it. That group does not include me. Yet. I may be indoctrinated two weeks from today.

El Toro is tight which may make uncomfortable for larger people but it doesn't "hurt". So yes, it can be worse! We'll find out soon enough!

Jen

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by ktujon ktujon Profile at 5/31/12 6:53:11 PM
I made it out to HP Wed 5/30 I would say from opening time til noon the lines for most of the coasters were fairly long as I walking straight towards Skyrush.
The que was close to 75% full with the last two rows empty, but the line was moving pretty quick, I would say by the time you reach the stairs its about 15min if your not waiting for the front car.
Yea it is kind of inefficient the way you exit the same side you get on the coaster but I don't think it slowed the flow down. Speaking of efficiency I asked an attendant why they don't have a 3rd train and he told me: "The line would move too fast!"

Later in the day around 4ish the line pretty much started in the staircase, since I avoided riding the front car, I was able to ride the 2nd row twice (one on the left wing and left middle seat) and the last row twice (right wing and right middle seat), alternating 2nd row and back row each time.
When I sat in the 2nd row left wing my right foot kept touching something at first I thought it might be the track but it was actually the side of the car which was right of me. I'm alittle over 6ft so I do have long legs.
When I was sitting in the middle seats I didn't encounter anything on my foot though through all the rides I did feel something run down my leg and I believe it was the seatbuckle flap.

Right wing back row was my favorite ride, I didn't experience my foot touching the side of the car and felt the most force of being pulled out when going on the hills especially on that turn where you get whipped from right to left!
I think with all the Intamin coasters I been on, riding in the back seat has been more enjoyable than the front because of that.

And yes I was warned about the thighs, I hope they develop some kind of padding underneath the lap pad but I don't think that will happen anytime soon unless they get enough complaints but in the meantime be prepared to get thigh crushed! Make sure to stretch out before and after the ride!

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 5/31/12 8:55:50 PM
beastmaster said:

I have heard about how uncomfortable it is to ride El Toro and be male, but seeing as how I am a female I don't find El Toro's lapbars to be uncomfortable. The good/bad thing about Skyrush's restraints is that they do not discriminate they will hurt your thighs no matter what your gender is or your height and/or weight. Regardless of the soreness it is still worth it.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 5/31/12 10:24:06 PM
beastmaster said:

I don't find El Toro's lap bars to be uncomfortable at all. They are certainly tight, but they fit on you differently than Skyrush.

On Skyrush, the main point of contact is the thigh. I don't think it's terrible, but you definitely feel it while riding.

Like Magnum, the phrase I would use to describe the feel of the lap restraint on Skyrush would be 'hurts so good'.

ThighCrush... That's funny.

drachen
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by kdleader kdleader Profile at 6/1/12 2:14:35 PM
I was at the park on opening day and didn't ride due to the slow dispatch of trains and a long queue. Tried again Monday and rode twice waiting about 30 minutes each time when three rows of the queue were filled. I went to the park last night for a few hours and used the stopwatch on my phone while waitng in line to get some dispatch times. Line was short so I didn't get many (six) in the two times I rode but they averaged about 2:45. The longest was about 3:00 and the shortest about 2:15.

I've seen a 1,350 capacity per hour listed for Skyrush. Based on what I've timed they are barely getting half of that.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/1/12 2:22:42 PM
What'd you think of the ride, Kevin?
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 6/1/12 2:25:57 PM
kdleader said:

they averaged about 2:45. The longest was about 3:00 and the shortest about 2:15.

I've seen a 1,350 capacity per hour listed for Skyrush. Based on what I've timed they are barely getting half of that.

That sounds about ride. But when the ride is only 63 seconds long, that makes for a lot of stacking.

But what did you think of the ride itself?

drachen
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/1/12 4:05:35 PM
I have heard so many things about this ride from this thread, so I am even more excited to ride it.

I don't know if some just haven't touched on it, but for me, a ride is more than just the elements. I love seeing the views that you can only see from the ride, the perfect seat where you feel like you might hit a pole or you rush by the water the closest, the view of the park from the lift hill, or even the sound the coaster makes as you rush by the trees. It's a total experience.

While some elements such as a boring hop there lackluster dive there, may detract a few points from your rating in your head or on your spreadsheet, there is more to it than just those elements.

Sometimes for me, a coaster having a really good drop can put it higher in my rankings despite the rest of the ride. It's always good to have a well rounded ride, but given the tracks length and the spot it's in I think I might enjoy this ride a lot just because of what I'm hearing about the drop.

I just hope I can ride it!!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/1/12 8:57:54 PM
mugen828 said:

Sometimes for me, a coaster having a really good drop can put it higher in my rankings despite the rest of the ride. It's always good to have a well rounded ride, but given the tracks length and the spot it's in I think I might enjoy this ride a lot just because of what I'm hearing about the drop.

I second your post! Gimme an awesome hill or launch and I'm happy! Hell, I'm one of the few that actually loved Viper and that was only because of it's first drop - Love that wee!!!

I wish you could come with us on the 14th! Have you thought of acting really sick on the 13th? LOL!

Jen

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by kdleader kdleader Profile at 6/2/12 3:36:50 PM
beastmaster said:

What'd you think of the ride, Kevin?

I somewhat like the idea of having the bag drops at each row as you'd expect all riders to be ready to board quickly. There are some exceptions as some people are still tossing their stuff on the other side of the train. That's holding up the dispatching of the train because they then have to retrieve it and place the stuff in the proper place.

Skyrush has a quick lift hill (reminds me of Maverick only steeper). You're at the top before you know it. The drop, in my opinion, is the best part of the ride.

As already mentioned, the lap restraint does dig into your upper thigh when the coaster hits the bottom of the first drop and over the other slight hills throughout the track (it seems to be the topic of conversation from other riders while waiting to enter the station).

The ride is short and you're pulling in towards the station while the train in front still has its riders collecting their belongings.

If all riders had no belongings to collect the station would clear at least 30 seconds sooner and the dispatch time could decrease by just as much. I took the back on all but one of my four rides (didn't see or feel much difference between the back and row 3) and I'm always waiting for others to retrieve their belongings or trying to squeeze past them.

I now consider it to be my favorite ride at Hershey as I prefer higher drops and speed to anything else.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by sparky sparky Profile at 6/3/12 11:14:28 PM
Great review.

Question regarding the new path- does it create a loop from the Rhineland area to Comet Hollow, or is it a dead end that is accessed only from Comet Hollow?

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 6/3/12 11:59:28 PM
sparky said:

Great review.

Question regarding the new path- does it create a loop from the Rhineland area to Comet Hollow, or is it a dead end that is accessed only from Comet Hollow?

Thanks.

The new path is a direct shot from the main gate to Comet Hollow. Ingenious - no hill to walk up or down. Just a flat path with some pretty scenery along the pond. It dumps you out right at Skyrush's entrance.

Definitely take it if you're heading straight there.

Are you going soon? We'd love to hear what you think too.

drachen
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by Eupher at 8/24/12 11:03:10 AM
I rode El Toro for the first time last month, and Skyrush for the first (and possibly last) time last night. From my perspective, the Skyrush lapbar is MUCH worse than ET. I thoroughly enjoyed ET, had no discomfort at all, and can easily see why it is one of the top rated wooden coasters in the U.S. Skyrush, different story. The restraint was so painful for me that around the 2nd drop I was *hoping* I would be thrown from the car just to end the misery. I like Skyrush's lift, speed, and air, but the pain thing is a deal breaker for me. I won't ride it again until they fix it.

I agree with the loading/unloading. Dumb to do both from the same side of the train. I like the bag drop, though I agree it would be better on the other side of the platform. One thing that really irked me about Six Flags New Jersey was the locker system where you have to pay $1 at all the major rides to stash your stuff.

Vital stats: I'm a 52-yr old pasty white dude who enjoys roller coasters, but I probably do not rise to the level of hard-core enthusiast. I'm 6'1" and weigh somewhere north of 225 lbs (I won't say just how far north). My wife *loves* coasters, and had absolutely no problem with the restraint on Skyrush. Oh well, maybe I can play a game of skeeball while she enjoys the ride. ;-)

My $.0000002 worth... :-)

beastmaster said:

* This post was modified at 8/24/12 11:15:36 AM *

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/24/12 11:04:46 AM
Eupher said:

Skyrush, different story. The restraint was so painful for me that around the 2nd drop I was *hoping* I would be thrown from the car just to end the misery.

LMAO! SO true!

Jen

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by Eupher at 8/24/12 11:24:43 AM
drachen said:

beastmaster said:

I don't find El Toro's lap bars to be uncomfortable at all. They are certainly tight, but they fit on you differently than Skyrush.

On Skyrush, the main point of contact is the thigh. I don't think it's terrible, but you definitely feel it while riding.

Like Magnum, the phrase I would use to describe the feel of the lap restraint on Skyrush would be 'hurts so good'.

ThighCrush... That's funny.

Likewise, I did not find the restraint on ET uncomfortable. Well, maybe when the attendant came around and gave that last shove and really pinned me in. But after the first drop I was grateful. :-)

Heh, as far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as good hurting. ThighCrush... funny, yes, and accurate.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/12 11:45:49 AM
Eupher, your description of yourself made me LOL..it almost fits ME to a tee!

I'm not sure I've seen you post before, so Welcome!

Mike

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/24/12 3:45:27 PM
Skyrush was amazing and I felt nothing on my thighs!! Sorry for you other folks out there who can't enjoy it:(
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 8/24/12 5:49:32 PM
Thanks for the Report, and nice photos btw!, I think Skyrush is one of my favorites around my area, it reminds me of Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion.
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 8/26/12 6:49:23 PM
Personally I didn't find the restraints all that painful. To me the slight discomfort of the restraints doesn't even compare to how fun this ride is.
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by ktujon ktujon Profile at 8/27/12 12:38:04 AM
I rode skyrush tonight, first time was on the front row left wing seat I could tell the padded lapbars seemed different with it being thicker and the bottom part cut in to fit with the legs instead of it being flat before. Definitely a much comfortable and enjoyable ride.

2nd time I rode in the 7th row right wing, this time the lapbar squeezed on my thighs and I felt discomfort throughout the ride, but I enjoyed the lift hill drop.

I rode it the third time on the 8th row right wing, same deal with the lap bar I tried not to press down on my thigh but it still clicked in tight but I was able to brace the pain of the ride.

I definitely feel that front and back of the train are different experiences of skyrush but enjoy the thrill of both still makes me scream just like when riding X2, though on 2 of the hills on skyrush it forces me into a kneeling position, that I have never experienced on any coaster!

I felt that riding skyrush day or night didn't make much of a difference to me

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by squirrels at 8/30/12 8:46:16 AM
chitlins73 said:

Skyrush was amazing and I felt nothing on my thighs!! Sorry for you other folks out there who can't enjoy it:(

I think a lot of it has to do with the thickness of one's thighs. If your thighs are bigger, the bar can't come down as far and most of the pressure is focused on a single narrow point, instead of across the whole pad. I think it also has to do with how much mass you have being "flung around" above the lapbar. I am waiting for someone to try to "cheat" the restraint and leave a little extra space and then get flung out. It really makes you appreciate the B&M clamshell. But to resort to OTSRs on this ride WOULD take half the fun out of it.

I was fine on the first ride. By the third, I just wanted nothing to do with that coaster for the rest of the day. The discomfort seems mild at the tops of the hills because the load is distributed across both legs, but that last I305-esque "twist" just hurts. I think that may be the first time I have vocalized "OW" on a ride.

Suggestions: 1) consider re-contouring the foam to distribute the force across a broader section of the lap, without compromising hold. 2) Put foam on the seat itself. In the twists, the seat digs into the back of your thigh on one side, which can be even more discomforting than the pressure on top of the leg. We're used to stuff being on our laps, not pressing into our hamstrings. 3) If the design must be changed, either trim or re-contour that last twist. Intamin has done a lot of those "jerk-twists" on its recent rides (I305, Maverick). That particular move is just too abrupt and, IMO, having it be that abrupt doesn't make the coaster better...it just hurts. Widen that turnaround just before it and make the twist longer/more gradual. That alone would probably silence the majority of leg-pain complaints.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by drachen drachen Profile at 8/30/12 11:34:08 AM
squirrels said:

...most of the pressure is focused on a single narrow point, instead of across the whole pad. I think it also has to do with how much mass you have being "flung around" above the lapbar. I am waiting for someone to try to "cheat" the restraint and leave a little extra space and then get flung out. It really makes you appreciate the B&M clamshell. But to resort to OTSRs on this ride WOULD take half the fun out of it.

The discomfort seems mild at the tops of the hills because the load is distributed across both legs, but that last I305-esque "twist" just hurts. I think that may be the first time I have vocalized "OW" on a ride.

Suggestions: 1) consider re-contouring the foam to distribute the force across a broader section of the lap, without compromising hold.

2) Put foam on the seat itself. In the twists, the seat digs into the back of your thigh on one side, which can be even more discomforting than the pressure on top of the leg. We're used to stuff being on our laps, not pressing into our hamstrings.

3) If the design must be changed, either trim or re-contour that last twist. Intamin has done a lot of those "jerk-twists" on its recent rides (I305, Maverick). That particular move is just too abrupt and, IMO, having it be that abrupt doesn't make the coaster better...it just hurts. Widen that turnaround just before it and make the twist longer/more gradual. That alone would probably silence the majority of leg-pain complaints.

I hear what you're saying, and I almost totally agree with your assessment. I haven't had trouble with the seats themselves, but perhaps what you mention may help.

I don't think it's possible for someone to cheat the restraints. That turn on the first drop will close them down on anyone. The only spot for a possible ejection in that scenario is on the first drop itself.

I actually think that Skyrush a good ride as is, with the exception of its short length. If it was a longer ride, it would be one of my favorites.

I also think that if they improve the comfort of the restraints, those extreme hills and twists, and twisting hills, would be very enjoyable.

My three knocks on Skyrush are:

1) The ride length

2) The uncomfortable restraints.

3) The low capacity, due to the station design.

Two of the three are fixable. I hope they do it in the off season.

drachen
Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by squirrels at 9/3/12 1:01:43 PM
drachen said:

squirrels said:

...most of the pressure is focused on a single narrow point, instead of across the whole pad. I think it also has to do with how much mass you have being "flung around" above the lapbar. I am waiting for someone to try to "cheat" the restraint and leave a little extra space and then get flung out. It really makes you appreciate the B&M clamshell. But to resort to OTSRs on this ride WOULD take half the fun out of it.

The discomfort seems mild at the tops of the hills because the load is distributed across both legs, but that last I305-esque "twist" just hurts. I think that may be the first time I have vocalized "OW" on a ride.

Suggestions: 1) consider re-contouring the foam to distribute the force across a broader section of the lap, without compromising hold.

2) Put foam on the seat itself. In the twists, the seat digs into the back of your thigh on one side, which can be even more discomforting than the pressure on top of the leg. We're used to stuff being on our laps, not pressing into our hamstrings.

3) If the design must be changed, either trim or re-contour that last twist. Intamin has done a lot of those "jerk-twists" on its recent rides (I305, Maverick). That particular move is just too abrupt and, IMO, having it be that abrupt doesn't make the coaster better...it just hurts. Widen that turnaround just before it and make the twist longer/more gradual. That alone would probably silence the majority of leg-pain complaints.

I hear what you're saying, and I almost totally agree with your assessment. I haven't had trouble with the seats themselves, but perhaps what you mention may help.

I don't think it's possible for someone to cheat the restraints. That turn on the first drop will close them down on anyone. The only spot for a possible ejection in that scenario is on the first drop itself.

I actually think that Skyrush a good ride as is, with the exception of its short length. If it was a longer ride, it would be one of my favorites.

I also think that if they improve the comfort of the restraints, those extreme hills and twists, and twisting hills, would be very enjoyable.

My three knocks on Skyrush are:

1) The ride length

2) The uncomfortable restraints.

3) The low capacity, due to the station design.

Two of the three are fixable. I hope they do it in the off season.

This is one case where I disagree about the ride length. SkyRush is intense enough to where if the ride was much longer, it would probably be too much.

That first drop was the one I was talking about...if someone tried to give themselves extra space in the restraint, ejection on that first hill seems like a real possibility.

The thing about those restraints is that they HAVE to be slightly uncomfortable to hold riders in while still giving that "ejector" air. (This is the first ride that I've ever used the term "ejector" on, because that's what it really feels like) An OTSR would completely take the ejector sensation away, and that would indeed make the ride feel too short.

Re: Skyrush Review - Detailed and Somewhat Lengthy by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 6/5/14 6:59:06 PM
Hello all,

I know that I don't post much anymore, and I am about 2 years late in writing this, but I am 46 years old with kids and tend to stay local at SFA.

Anyhow, after riding SFA S:Ros and I305 this year, and MF, Magnum, Wild Thing, Apollos Chariot other years, this one is in a class by itself. Who would have guessed this would be more intense than I305 (which I have never grayed out on)? AC has good floater airtime and Supe's third hill was my previous ultimate airtime hill. However, I was simply amazed by the massive ejector airtime. I did sit on a left wing seat somewhere in the middle of the train.

I never felt pain from the restraints. My phone and keys were in my pockets (with my system of safety pinning them in - which is probably why they did not come out). Ihoped the restraint did not crush my phone (it did not).

For those reasons, Skyrush is #2 on my list. It probably looks like this (but subject to change):

1. Dragster
2. Skyrush
3. MF
4. Volcano
5. S:RoS
6. I305

Look, all Intamin. I like B and M, but prefer Intamin.

MarathonRunner