Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Terrible Park News Out of Louisville

Terrible Park News Out of Louisville

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
5/25/12 at
10:04:25 AM

Looks like the coasters have been deemed too costly to repair. I only hope they change their minds...

Article was too long to copy and paste from the iPad. I'll do it when I get to my computer. Follow the link for now...

No Coaster at Bluegrass Boardwalk

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/25/12 11:20:54 AM
If Louisville really wants to get this park reopened then they better get their government officials in order. They are really screwing things up.

Thunder Run is the coaster I really care about. I don't really care about the Vekoma Hang and Bang, but it would also be nice to see Twisted Twins reopen.

I'm not surprised about the direction with the emphasis on the water park. Six Flags was taking the same approach.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/25/12 11:27:39 AM
Yeah, Thunder Run was the best coaster in the park, IMO. I thought Stella and Lola were decent, and liked Chang more than most stand-ups. I will say that I thought, aside from TR, the waterpark was the best thing about the place, so I'm not surprised it's an area of emphasis. I only made one visit, in June of '07.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by drachen drachen Profile at 5/25/12 12:43:34 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

If Louisville really wants to get this park reopened then they better get their government officials in order. They are really screwing things up.

Thunder Run is the coaster I really care about. I don't really care about the Vekoma Hang and Bang, but it would also be nice to see Twisted Twins reopen.

I'm not surprised about the direction with the emphasis on the water park. Six Flags was taking the same approach.

I don't really care for the SLC either, and I figured it may have been on the chopping block anyway. The real crime would be to lose the wooden coasters.

And let's not forget the Schwarzkopf shuttle. I really hope it can be saved, being one of only three left in the U.S.

I'm not surprised to see the park focus on water attractions. I figured they'd go that route too. But I happen to think that water rides and wooden roller coasters go very well together. It creates a great seaside/boardwalk atmosphere.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by alpengeistno3 at 5/25/12 9:12:10 PM
Well, I'm glad to see the Koch's not wasting their time restoring KK's lackluster leftovers. Remember, Holiday World operated for 50 years without a coaster so it is not surprising that they would apply the same operating strategy to their new park (hopefully without the 50 year wait!) At least we can be sure that when they do add one, it will be special (and not a mirror image of the Hurlers or a cookie cutter SLC).

Paul

Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 5/25/12 9:40:47 PM
On the other hand, what put HW on the map so to say? A cool new coaster. Why can't they apply that same logic to their new park?

600k visitors a year will be hard if they can't even do the effort of trying to bring the Roller Skater back.

Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/26/12 11:29:07 AM
I saw in another interview that the state or fair board is demanding that 25% of the visitors come from out-of-state. That may not be an issue due to the close proximity of Ohio, but I think the demand alone is ridiculous. Get the park open and let the free market decide its fate. If the owner-operator sees an opportunity in promoting the park to out-of-state visitors then they will likely do so for the benefit of the business.

This whole thing seems so typical of government. Move out of the way!

--
Eric
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 5/27/12 9:08:00 AM
I just read the article and it appears that depending on how well they did in 2013, which at this point doesn't seem likely, they would repair Thunder Run, Ferris Wheel, Roller Skater, and simulator theater. In a way that would not be a total loss though opening without a major coaster does seem a bit odd if you plan to try to bring people back.

Seems like Twisted Twins, Greezed Lightning, and T2 are going to be removed and eventually replaced in the future.

G-Dog

Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/27/12 9:43:18 AM
I don't understand this. If they didn't plan on refurbishing the coasters, then why bother? I'm sure the renovation is cheaper than building a new coaster. Do they expect the water park to draw a large enough crowd that they'll make a profit on that alone? If time is the issue, then by all means open a year later. Get all your attractions up and running, theme park and water park, then open the gates. For the first time visitor, if the park is a disappointment, then they probably will not return. My only visit to the park was in 2000. I thought Chang was good, the 2 wooden coasters were decent, and T2 was smoother than most Vekoma inverts. From an enthusiast point of view the park was not worth revisiting, until they added another major coaster. As for the GP, they tend to be satisfied, as long as there is plenty of different attractions. This whole ordeal is a huge gamble, and they have the local government constantly making the situation worse. This why Six Flags did away with. There was to much government interference. I hope the park does profit and get things in order. But I just don't see it happening. I know I won't visit the park until the theme park is worth it.
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/27/12 1:00:58 PM
Geauga_Dog said:

I just read the article and it appears that depending on how well they did in 2013, which at this point doesn't seem likely, they would repair Thunder Run, Ferris Wheel, Roller Skater, and simulator theater. In a way that would not be a total loss though opening without a major coaster does seem a bit odd if you plan to try to bring people back.

Seems like Twisted Twins, Greezed Lightning, and T2 are going to be removed and eventually replaced in the future.

G-Dog

There is no need to remove twisted twins, They will have two trains for it come 2013. Some major retracking and possibly a control board.

Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/27/12 1:04:03 PM
frontrow said:

I don't understand this. If they didn't plan on refurbishing the coasters, then why bother? I'm sure the renovation is cheaper than building a new coaster. Do they expect the water park to draw a large enough crowd that they'll make a profit on that alone? If time is the issue, then by all means open a year later. Get all your attractions up and running, theme park and water park, then open the gates. For the first time visitor, if the park is a disappointment, then they probably will not return. My only visit to the park was in 2000. I thought Chang was good, the 2 wooden coasters were decent, and T2 was smoother than most Vekoma inverts. From an enthusiast point of view the park was not worth revisiting, until they added another major coaster. As for the GP, they tend to be satisfied, as long as there is plenty of different attractions. This whole ordeal is a huge gamble, and they have the local government constantly making the situation worse. This why Six Flags did away with. There was to much government interference. I hope the park does profit and get things in order. But I just don't see it happening. I know I won't visit the park until the theme park is worth it.

there is no way in heck without some rides they will draw 25 percent from out of states. Jeffersonville isn't that big. Heck, some townships have their own waterparks. While it would do maybe half a million, The waterpark alone would not fille the goals of the lease.

Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by drachen drachen Profile at 5/30/12 5:43:19 PM
Bluegrass Boardwalk comments on reports that the park will not be ready by 2013 - confirming it.

But, it sounds as if all is not lost on the roller coaster end of things. I can't imagine that a steel ride would have deteriorated over 2 years to the point that it's no longer serviceable. I just think that they don't want an SLC at their park. They may be able to sell it.

There has been no mention of Greezed Lightning, and I can only hope that it is refurbed or relocated.

The steel structure of Twisted Twins should be in "ok" shape too. I would have concerns with Thunder Run's structure, and I'm sure that all wooden tracks will need some hefty work.

The response:

Opening Bluegrass Boardwalk in 2013 is no longer an option.

Bluegrass Boardwalk, Inc. CEO Natalie Koch asked the Fair Board today to modify the proposed lease to reflect a 2014 opening for the 58-acre park at their next monthly meeting.

“When the park was closed in 2009, needed winter maintenance was not been performed on the rides,” says Koch. “For example, pumps for the water rides were not removed for off-season winterization and inspection. Plumbing and structural infrastructure are in need of extensive repair. Buildings are damaged from leaky roofs. Rides are missing parts. The list goes on and on. We believe 75 percent of the rides will require significant overhaul following in-depth inspection by certified ride experts.”

Koch reports meeting on site with ride manufacturers, who have agreed 11 months is not long enough to open a safe and viable park.

“We will begin work as soon as we have a signed lease,” says Koch. “Until then, the clock is ticking and the park and its rides continue to deteriorate.”

Once a signed lease is in place, Koch says ride experts will begin detailed inspection of all rides.

“Only then will it be determined which rides will be open in 2014,” says Koch. “We have not announced our ride line-up yet, but plan to do so in the fall.”

Link

drachen
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by drachen drachen Profile at 6/1/12 12:59:43 PM
Ed Hart has chimed on the recent statements issued by Bluegrass Boardwalk. He disagrees with the Koch's assessment.

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - We're hearing from the CEO of Bluegrass Boardwalk for the first time since they announced they cannot get the park back open under their original timeline.

Natalie Koch, CEO of Bluegrass Boardwalk, says they want the park open as much as anyone, but right now they just don't believe they can do it safely. Louisville businessman Ed Hart, who tried to get a lease for the park before the Koch's and used to run it, says he questions what the Koch's are saying about the state of the park's rides.

The Koch's built one of Southern Indiana's most beloved amusement parks from scratch. Now they want to take that experience to revive the former Kentucky Kingdom, but they're running into setbacks. There's still no official lease signed with the state. Something they had hoped to have in April. Since there's no lease, they can't start work on the park. "To start doing something without a signed lease doesn't make much sense. We want to know the people of Kentucky have confidence in us that this is what they want," she says.

It's something Ed Hart did not have when he spent 18 months fixing up the abandoned Six Flags. He says the park would have been ready to go in 2012 when his negotiations with the Kentucky Fair Board ended in September. That's why he doesn't understand the Koch's announcement that the park is in such disrepair they have to push their reopen date to 2014. "I'm watching this circus. I'm on the sidelines like everyone else watching the circus. It is a circus because you're not really seeing fundamentally accurate statements. It will not take 11 months to get a small water park up and running."

Koch says they plan to have a mix of rides open when the public first steps in Bluegrass Boardwalk. They did their first walk through in the winter and knew there would be things to fix, but right now they don't know which ones that will be because they can't get in. "We're not going to get into any kind of pointing fingers war. What we see is what we need to fix and we want to do that properly. We have our opinion. Someone can have a different opinion. That's totally fine."

She says even though the park sat in disrepair, when it was originally built, it was done well. It's those bones they want to start building on. It's a start that's already been delayed, so how long will they wait? "We're willing to wait. We are willing to wait until all parties can agree and until all parties are satisfied this is the right thing for Kentucky for Louisville for Bluegrass Boardwalk."

She believes the Koch family is the right group to get the rides running again. Right now, it's only a matter of when.

As someone who's been through it, Hart says Mayor Greg Fischer should get involved, saying this is a big attraction for the city that a lot of people notice considering it's right in front of the airport. He says he doesn't understand why Mayor Fischer hasn't said something.

Link

drachen
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 6/1/12 1:55:30 PM
No offense to Ed, but does his opinion really matter anymore? The Kochs want to do this right, and rushing opening is not the right thing to do. People don't want to go to a park with 3/4ths of the park not operating, and ignorant gp would see coasters sitting idle and complain. It's best to have a nice, clean, safe park to open that seems like a fully operational park, and that takes more than a few months, many of which are winter.
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by drachen drachen Profile at 6/1/12 2:22:25 PM
Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

No offense to Ed, but does his opinion really matter anymore?

I know the Koch's want to do this right, and they want to have the park up to their standards before they open. I think that's great.

Even though it comes across as sour grapes, I don't think we can discount Ed Hart's opinion here. He's done this before, and from the sounds of it, he's been in the park very recently with his own crew. He knows that park very well.

I think pushing the opening date back to 2014 is a power move by Bluegrass Boardwalk, as they, like Ed Hart, have hit a wall in negotiations with Louisville and the Fair Board.

It's like Louisville can't get out of its own way.

I'm pulling for the park. But I admit, I want it to open with its roller coasters in tact - especially the wooden rides and Greezed Lightning.

drachen
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/1/12 2:51:48 PM
I've seen pics taken from Last summer and There are trees growing through the structure of Thunder Run and Twisted Twins, Greezed Lightnin at minimum needs a sanding down and painting and it also has trees growing up through the track. A lot of stuff in the park has just sat for three years rusting and rotting.

I too think they want nothing to do with T2 its probably near the end of its lifespan anywhow. Morey's just did a total rehab and new trains of theirs about four years ago.

Also Remember Mile High Falls and Twisted twins haven't operated in about five years. Twins trains were taken to other parks although Voyages trains should be available in 2013 as I pretty much heard from Birds tweeting that the Timberliners (Save some testing) in the fall will be ready to go.

If you ride Wooden Warrior this year, its not the same seats as last year although many may not notice.

Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by drachen drachen Profile at 6/20/12 6:17:18 PM
Since the boards went down, Bluegrass Boardwalk has since pulled out from the project, with an odd press release.

Now there is word that there is still interest in re-opening the park, and that interest is coming from two national park companies.

Six Flags can't be one, can it? Cedar Fair? Palace? Those would be my two guesses...

Companies Express Interest in Kentucky Kingdom

Just a day after the family that owns and operates the Holiday World amusement park at Santa Claus, Ind. said they were withdrawing from their plans to reopen the now-closed Kentucky Kingdom park in Louisville, two other amusement park companies have expressed interest in reopening the park.WHAS-TV in Louisville reports that Harold Workman, state fair board president, said two national amusement park companies contacted him to express their interest.

The deal with the Koch family of Santa Claus, Ind. fell apart because of the family's discomfort with certain aspects of the Kentucky deal - particularly the fact that the property is owned by the state and therefore subject to government rules and regulations, Workman told the TV station.

The Kochs had planned to lease the property and reopen the facility as Bluegrass Boardwalk in 2014.

Now, Workman said discussions will continue with the new parties. He said reopening the park is a top priority of the fair board.

WEKU 88.9 Article

drachen
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/20/12 6:54:53 PM
This is probably best for the Koch's. I was at Holiday World on June 9th and the park was crowded, but most of the people were at the water park. They have transformed Holiday World from a small park to a world class destination. This Bluegrass Boardwalk project was just too big of a gamble for them. Let a huge corporation like Cedar Fair take it on. A huge corporation has the money to make such a gamble. Besides, huge corporations have attorneys to fight with the Kentucky government. A huge corporation has a better chance at success. Maybe the Koch's could look into buying Beech Bend, just a thought.
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/20/12 7:25:24 PM
frontrow said:
Maybe the Koch's could look into buying Beech Bend, just a thought.

Or a certain twice-failed operation in Myrtle Beach.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 6/20/12 7:29:28 PM
I don't think the former Hard Rock property is worth anything. Why would the owner of Beech Bend want to sell?
--
Eric
Re: Terrible Park News Out of Louisville by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/20/12 10:46:58 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

I don't think the former Hard Rock property is worth anything. Why would the owner of Beech Bend want to sell?

I just stated that because that Beech Bend is in the vicinity of Holiday World, Beech Bend has that Holiday World type potential, and There was a very low attendance when I visited Beech Bend last year. After talking to several employees, Beech Bend usually suffers from poor attendance. I don't even know who owns Beech Bend; I was writing in a imaginative way.