Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12

TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
5/23/12 at
8:27:32 PM

On 5/17/12, I had decided to go on a lil' Midwest park Extravaganza while I'm still healthy; I had to make up from last year, when I was sick during most of the summer. I had a lil' snafu on the way to Holiday World, in Valdosta GA, Home of Wild Adventures, my front passenger tire blew out. My tires were too old, and were going bald. A GA State Trooper directed me to a Wal-Mart, but they didn't carry to low profile tires that I needed. I managed to get to a Firestone just before they closed; With had all four tires replaced with alignment done, it costed a pretty penny; So on to Indiana I went. On the way to IN in KY, I hit a hare that ran right into the path of the car; RIP Bunny :( Rural Indiana is picturesque, in a Hillshire Farms kinda way, with grain silos, rolling hills, barns etc. I actually got to Holiday World a hour and a half before opening; I went to the overflow parking lot by an accident, then I realized that it wasn't the main parking lot. The weather was nice, and the lift hill of Raven is very well placed right in front of the park. HW is literally like a 'Field of Dreams' with hardly anything around it. They built it, and they came. On to the TR.

Holiday World 5/18/12

Legend: I had to past Raven to go to the restroom (TMI, I know) so the closer Legend ended up being the first coaster that I rode there. I honestly expected just a regular decent coaster ride, but this thing VASTLY exceeded my expectations! It was awesome! There was alot of lateral serpentine winding action with curved tunnels that come out of nowhere. The last two tunnels (out of four) where awesome. I rode it two times; In the middle at first was very aggressive with the occasional seat divider poking in the kindey; The second time in the back felt more smoother. Top ten material for me no doubt!

Raven: HW's first wooden coaster. The lift hill drop with the straight tunnel in the trough had a nice old school feel to it. It had some nice switch banked transitions that gave nice pops of air. It was very smooth throughout, although a lil' on the short (track length) side. Pretty damn good for the first woodie in the park.

Pilgrim's Plunge: Man that lift hill is fast! I rode it in the front. The view from the top was awesome, and the drop was nice, with just enough 'splash factor' to it; Luckily they have the plexiglass water guard it front, or we would have gotten soaked; The water wave that nearly topples over the guard added some thrills.

Gobblers Getaway: I stumbled upon this darkride. The turkey theme through was okay, but the (turkey caller gun thingy or whatever) not so much; It seemed very inaccurate. Maybe Sally should consider putting reticles to line up the targets better, instead of 'winging it with a prayer'. For my efforts, I only scored a measly 710 points, in that very shameful "Just a Turkey" status. :(

Voyage: The centerpiece attraction was unbelievable! My exact words to the ride op was 'relentless'. Going up the lift lift, a train flew by overhead, the cynic in me is thinking that some 'unlucky Darwin award winner' will look up, and get a splinter in the eye, ala 'Dueling Dragons effect' causing HW to run one train at a time. LOL Hopefully that won't happen. I rode it two times, one somewhere in the middle, and one in the back. The first drop was awesome, it was very smooth, and it was filled with that'standing outta your seat airtime'. Gravity Group totally 'get's it' the very high banked track throughout the course transfers the energy on those low turns very well, so the the coaster still can still maintain momentum while still maintaining passenger comfort. The tunnels are constant on this thing. On the one exteme switching banked transition, it looked like the train was gonna derail as it was filled with crazy airtime. The one LONG tunnel after the MCBR was very thrilling. At one point on my first ride after the MCBR, I was thinking 'this maybe a lil' too much fun for me' LOL. It was like thrill seekers nirvana or something, Voyage is definitely was not short on ride time. Katie, Chuck, and everyone else that said the Voyage is all of that and a bag of chips weren't lying! I just might have to shoe this baby in as my number one favorite coaster.

Kudos for Holiday World; No attraction that I know off was closed there. On to Indiana Beach VIA more yesteryear-like scenery. With that said, the city of Monticello is built up significantly more than Santa Claus.

Indiana Beach 5/19/12

Looking from the parking lot, the first thing that you notice is Steel Hawg; It doesn't take a genius to tell you which coaster that I rode first, but I'll save that for later. IB is built like anything that I ever saw. The two woodies, and Tig'rr are build up high on a giant metal superstructure, with all of the kiddie rides etc underneath, pretty cool. Underneath the coasters kinda gave that 'Coney Island under the elevated subway' feel.

Tig'rr Coaster: It's my first Schwarzkopf Jet Star. It has some intense helices, and banked positive-G curves that lie within each other; So intense that the 'hands in the air' will instantly turn into 'grabbing the side hand rails.

Hoosier Hurricane: Take a BC Powder after riding this one because it's rough. Talk about a headache. One ride, and I got the message. It did have some pops of air, and lats in spots. The trek out into the water was appealing, but I wasn't feeling this one. My least favorite at IB.

Galaxi: An ancient SDC Galaxi (1971)steel coaster. It's about what you expect for a coaster like this, basically a carnival coaster. It would be a good choice for the young ones. It's another IB steelie with banked helices. It has a good lateral flat turn at the end.

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain: I rode with a family of three sitting in the backwards sitting seat. It's all good with strangers as riding buddies, strike up a lil' small talk voila! awkward moment instantly over!!LOL The elevator lift was of about normal speed. The ride experience was fun, sitting backwards was awesome, I can't tell you too much about the layout, but it was like a labyrinth through a mountain with plenty of sudden turns, drops, and dark caverns.

Cornball Express: Not too rough, and far smoother than Hoosier Hurricane, and it had a nice helix, just before the run to the station. It's a funny name for a coaster; You're a cornball that rides Cornball Express! LOL

Dr Frankenstein's Haunted Castle: A walkthrough 'scary fun house type thingy' that had some good scary gimmicks like rats nipping at your feet, a drop platform overlook, uneven floor, and a confusing 'round room of doors'. This is an upcharge attraction. I'm not gonna lie, a thought this was Superstition Mtn, I should have known that coaster wasn't a upcharge ride, dummy me LOL. I'm glad that I went, because it definitely wasn't $3.50 wasted. I enjoyed it.

Steel Hawg: Yup, I rode this one first, and I like it. The lift hill is fast. It was smoother than I thought it would be, IMO smoother than the OTHR Eurofighter's that I rode (Mystery Mine, and Sponge Bob) Steel Hawgs layout seamless with well placed brakes in the right places. The four main elements, the 111 degree drop, the rollover loop, the topsy turvy track, and the barrel roll, well done.

Falling Star was down, and for some reason I missed the Den of Lost Thieves.

I'll do my other Valleyfair, Nickelodeon Universe, and Mt Olympus TRs later.

* This post was modified at 5/27/12 8:58:07 PM *

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/23/12 9:15:42 PM
Thanks for the TR, overbanked. Makes me want to return to both parks! Glad to hear that you enjoyed Indiana Beach. I have heard some bad things about my park since the Spackmans sold out to Morgan RV, but it sounds like things were going well, including the fact that Lost Coaster was open. I never went in frankenstein's castle as that room of doors sounds like it would freak me out!

Again, thanks for posting. Really good stuff. Looking forward to the others.

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/23/12 9:21:33 PM
Fun TR. Looking forward to the rest..covering a lotta ground.

Speaking of covering ground, how long a ride from Jacksonville (if you're still there) to Indiana? Go straight through?

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 5/23/12 9:43:51 PM
I'm glad you finally got to see what Indiana had to offer! We sure don't have many here, but I'm quite proud of my quirky Hoosier parks. :)
Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by drachen drachen Profile at 5/23/12 10:49:07 PM
Very nice write-up... You hit everything that I also loved at both parks. Like Ray said, you made me want to go back.

Did you find Voyage to be rough? They did a lot of track work in the off season. I'm curious to hear what a newcomer thought.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the Minnesota parks and the Dells.

Man, you've hit a lot of wooden coasters on the this trip!

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/24/12 1:59:23 AM
beastmaster said:

Fun TR. Looking forward to the rest..covering a lotta ground.

Speaking of covering ground, how long a ride from Jacksonville (if you're still there) to Indiana? Go straight through?

Mike

Rand McNally.com said that the road distance from J-Ville to Santa Claus, is 777miles lucky me! :)

Yup, I went all the way through (from the Tel City area, in Southern Indiana, to Chicagoland) VIA a night's rest at the Monticello Inn before going to IB.

* This post was modified at 5/24/12 2:10:29 AM *

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/25/12 7:55:57 AM
Thanks for your TR, Were you abreviating the parks or just did the once through route? Just wondering.

As for Voyage, I still say, Nothing comes close, Maybe if the Outer Limits were twice as long, Unbraked but as far as intense from start to finish and ride length. Yeah, I'll disrespect The Beast, it wanders around for 2000 of its 4000ft.

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/25/12 10:09:11 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Were you abreviating the parks or just did the once through route? Just wondering.

I don't understand the question.

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/26/12 9:01:02 AM
I think he's wondering why you only rode a few rides and only a couple times... were you there all day and were the lines that long?
Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/27/12 7:00:08 AM
I see what he's saying, thanks Rob. I was trying to squeeze in many parks as I can, because I had to be back in town to help my sister who moved on the 25th of May; In which I needed a lil' leeway of rest, so I chose to sacrifice staying at the parks until closing, for travelling between park to park getting in as many experiences as I can.

There was a couple coasters throughout my Midwest trek that I would've ridden additional times, but the lines got long, like Voyage(I was going to ride a third time)Raven(I was going to ride a second time) etc. I'm typically not a person that will ride a one coaster (in a park with other coasters and rides) a ton of times all day, two or three is usually enough for me. The main 'short changed' experience I felt at a particular park was not getting to ride Hades.

* This post was modified at 5/27/12 7:02:01 AM *

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by Coaster316 at 5/31/12 11:29:02 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to note that all of your trip reports were great, Overbanked. Thanks for sharing them with us and I'm glad you had a good time.

Specific note on this one...I'm glad to hear someone else have same thoughts on Legend. It is actually still my favorite coaster at Holiday World and a top 5 for me overall. Love it.

- Jeff

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/31/12 12:24:52 PM
Thanks Jeff, and everyone else who responded on my Midwest TR's. Legend is awesome, after riding it, I was like 'Voyage has a tall order'. LOL. I'd be hard pressed to find a better wooden coaster 'one-two' punch. IMO Legend doesn't get the credit that it deserves, I love it's aggressiveness.
Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/31/12 12:49:52 PM
Overbanked said:

Thanks Jeff, and everyone else who responded on my Midwest TR's. Legend is awesome, after riding it, I was like 'Voyage has a tall order'. LOL. I'd be hard pressed to find a better wooden coaster 'one-two' punch. IMO Legend doesn't get the credit that it deserves, I love it's aggressiveness.

I actually felt whiplash on Legend. I was hurting when I got off, and was glad when the ride was over. That's a bad thing. It's last for me of the Holi Woodies, and it's not even close.

Mike, who qualifies the above opinion by stating that I haven't been to HW since my first and only visit five years ago.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 5/31/12 1:50:10 PM
One of the tips that many on this site passed along to me prior to my first trip to HW in 2008 was to ride the woodies in the order that they were built. This was an excellent suggestion and I'm going to pass it along to anyone who may be going there for the first time this weekend for HWN 2012.

Wish I could be there!

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/31/12 4:29:03 PM
Loved the TR! And what a great trip! Knocking out HW and IB makes for a true Adventure!

HW:
Legend - yes, this coaster is amazing. I agree with everything you wrote. It's a lot more fun at night with the Nungester brothers mooshing the crap out of you.

Raven - I, too, like this coaster, but it is over-rated. Way too short. It helped to change the landscape of woodies back when it first opened, but it's nothing compared to its big brothers at HW.

Voyage - um, yes.

IB:
Love the park. Love the setting. And it is cool seeing coasters on top ov buildings.

HH - I don't remember this coaster being rough at all. It isn't too thrilling, and nowhere near my favorite, but I found it quite smooth back in 1997.

Cornball - I'm surprised you didn't write mmore about this coaster. It is an airtime machine! I'm so thankful for those seatbelts, because with just buzzbars you'd be tossed out. It sits in my top 5.

I didn't get to ride Steel Hawg on my only trip to IB - it didnt' exist.

And what, no flyers in your report from either park!?!?!?!

- Pat-O

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/31/12 10:29:25 PM
^^^Which part of the train did you find the most airtime on Cornball Express? I rode it in the back, and felt moments of air, but nothing over the top by no means; Woodies are so damn temperamental, and all of the stars must have been lined up the times that you rode it. :) The 'toot toot' train whistle sound is a nice quirky touch on CE. I totally agree with you about Raven, I just thought it was just okay, and you're right by telling it like it is, I didn't want to say it, but 'overrated' is the perfect word, and I judged the coaster exp on it's own, not unfairly comparing it to the big brothers.
Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/31/12 10:41:58 PM
Overbanked said:

^^^Which part of the train did you find the most airtime on Cornball Express? I rode it in the back, and felt moments of air, but nothing over the top by no means; Woodies are so damn temperamental, and all of the stars must have been lined up the times that you rode it. :) The 'toot toot' train whistle sound is a nice quirky touch on CE. I totally agree with you about Raven, I just thought it was just okay, and you're right by telling it like it is, I didn't want to say it, but 'overrated' is the perfect word, and I judged the coaster exp on it's own, not unfairly comparing it to the big brothers.

I rode Cornball Express last year and I was very disappointed. The air time I remember was at the very end. The coaster was rough and very forgettable. I rode 3 times, once in the front, once in the back, and once near the back. I found the layout to be unique, but I didn't get much air time. Just like The Raven, I found this coaster to be over rated. I got more air time on LCOSM. A lot of people have claimed to have gotten great rides on Cornball. I think the park has let that coaster deteriorate.

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/1/12 3:00:31 PM
Coaster316 said:

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to note that all of your trip reports were great, Overbanked. Thanks for sharing them with us and I'm glad you had a good time.

Specific note on this one...I'm glad to hear someone else have same thoughts on Legend. It is actually still my favorite coaster at Holiday World and a top 5 for me overall. Love it.

- Jeff

Ridden with friends, Not afraid to get squished, Legend still ranks top three for me. Its been running really good the last couple HWN's A couple years ago. Me, Rob, Pat-o, Rob Lec and Wife and some others rode it about ten time straight doing the Texas Ye-Haw the whole ride, They could hear us in the midway! :)

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 6/1/12 6:13:48 PM
Overbanked said:

After reading the last two pasts, I'm thinking, "Did we ride the same coaster?" I had airtime all over the place, especially in the back. Loved it! That was in 2007 I believe. Alot can change in 5 years, but man, I absolutely found it an air-fill thrill.

- Pat-O

Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by drachen drachen Profile at 6/1/12 7:29:07 PM
Coaster316 said:

- Jeff

Glad to see I'm not the only one. While Voyage was absolutely incredible, I thought Legend was the superior coaster.

Great drop, great tunnels, great head choppers with the water slides, great hills, great turns. There was nothing I didn't love about it. It had a little bit of everything I love in a wooden coaster.

I could be perfectly happy living in Indianapolis. Holiday World to the south, Indiana Beach to the north.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by TyTlock41 TyTlock41 Profile at 6/10/12 12:04:36 AM
Being a indiana native, i havent been going to holiday world the last few years because it has just gotten boring. The reason for this is the lack of building interesting rides. Yes they have been expanding, but the construction of Mammoth The ride itself wasn't what upset me. What was strange was that they built a exact replica of a ride they had just built and passed it off as "New". They tried to pass it off as a major addition, which i guess it is, when its only 53 feet longer and 5 feet taller than Wildebeest.
So i am establishing a boycott on HW until they build something they don't already have. Yes, it's still a great park, but they have to build more exciting things to keep peoples interests.
Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by NotSo NotSo Profile at 6/10/12 1:25:23 AM
Holiday World is far from a great park. However, they do have 3 good coasters. The rest of the park leaves a lot open, they could do so much better. Seems they don't get it. Voyage ran so great for 2 years, now it sucks, thats too bad, maybe they dont have the money to make it good, but they add water rides? How about fixing Voyage? Makes no sense to me.
Re: TR: Holiday World 5/18/12 & Indiana Beach 5/19/12 by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 6/10/12 12:44:22 PM
I just got a review from Frontrow.He was just at holiday World yesterday and he said Voyage was running great!!!!Still the best coaster I have ever been on!!