Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > New Spin On A Top Spin?

New Spin On A Top Spin?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
5/22/12 at
7:17:08 AM

Is there a ride like this in the U.S?

http://www.rickysplace.com/jwplayer/0507-19.html

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/22/12 9:55:45 AM
That's a Zamperla or Soriani & Moser Windshear. From what I can recall, there was one at Six Flags New Orleans, but obviously that has closed. One of the larger carnival operators in the US MAY have one, but I am not 100% certain. Looks cool, but I'm assuming like the Top Spins, it has to be a maintenance nightmare with the extra rotation going on.
Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/22/12 12:37:02 PM
I sent the vid to my friend Gina. She said, and I quote, "It looks like a giant robot playing with a toy!" I think that's a great description.
Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/22/12 1:23:24 PM
SFKK had one, or something close to it.

IIRC
AFAIK
DQMOI*

I only saw it sitting there, all askew, yet it didn't appear to be a broken Top Spin...just frozen in place.

* Don't Quote Me On It
;-)

Mike B.
Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/22/12 2:32:49 PM
MABrider said:

SFKK had one, or something close to it.

IIRC
AFAIK
DQMOI*

I only saw it sitting there, all askew, yet it didn't appear to be a broken Top Spin...just frozen in place.

* Don't Quote Me On It
;-)

I don't remember seeing it on my lone, one-day visit in 2007. I mighta missed it, because I found the park, frankly, difficult to navigate.

Mike G.

Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/22/12 3:15:09 PM
Mike B,

Kentucky Kingdom’s ride was called The Quake and it was a Vekoma Waikiki Wave. It did the same ride motion as the Windshear, with the exception of the cabin flipping. The ride cabin merely swung freely back and forth while the arms rotated in opposite directions. I rode it on my lone visit to KK back in 1992 and found it to be a ride that looked worse than it actually was. Vekoma also made a Waikiki Wave Super Flip, which did invert passengers, however I don’t believe any of those ever wound up in the US. And of course, let’s not forget the Vekoma Canyon Trip, the “taffy pull”-like ride that appeared at Busch Gardens Williamsburg as Gladiator’s Gauntlet and in its generic form at Morey’s Pier. While that ride did not invert passengers and was surprisingly tame, it certainly looked intimidating from the midway. I believe Apollo’s Chariot’s entrance now stands where Gladiator’s Gauntlet once resided.

This concludes my Vekoma-made flat ride lecture. I know return you all to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/22/12 4:27:00 PM
Any idea when it was removed, Ray?
Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/22/12 6:00:21 PM
beastmaster said:

Is there a ride like this in the U.S?

http://www.rickysplace.com/jwplayer/0507-19.html

whoa! A regular top spin makes me queasy, but just seeing the way the arms tilts like that makes it even more scary.

Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by alpengeistno3 at 5/22/12 9:50:36 PM
beastmaster said:

I'm not Ray, but the rumor when I started working there was that GG had serious maintenance issues and because the ride manual was completely in German, they scrapped it.

Take that for what it's worth.

Paul

Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/22/12 9:58:01 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

beastmaster said:

I'm not Ray, but the rumor when I started working there was that GG had serious maintenance issues and because the ride manual was completely in German, they scrapped it.

Take that for what it's worth.

Paul

I remember riding that as a kid. At the time I thought it was pretty awesome. I'm surprised I have have seen a clone of that ride in my travels.

Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/22/12 10:01:21 PM
Oh Hell No!

Jen

Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 5/23/12 1:18:53 AM
I rode two Waikiki Waves (like Quake at SFKK) over in Asia and they were both very boring experiences. You didn't feel anything.
Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/23/12 11:51:50 AM
beastmaster said:

Per the "always reliable" Wikipedia, it says Quake was removed in 2004. If that is indeed true, I believe it sat not operating for a few years.

Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/23/12 12:57:10 PM
ray_p said:

Mike B,
Kentucky Kingdom’s ride was called The Quake and it was a Vekoma Waikiki Wave. It did the same ride motion as the Windshear, with the exception of the cabin flipping. The ride cabin merely swung freely back and forth while the arms rotated in opposite directions. I rode it on my lone visit to KK back in 1992 and found it to be a ride that looked worse than it actually was.

This concludes my Vekoma-made flat ride lecture. I know return you all to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

I'm changing the channel back for a minute...
you are absolutely correct, Ray.
And here it is...the photo on the left is how I remember it!
http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index%20Pages/wakiki.html

Mike B.
Re: New Spin On A Top Spin? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/23/12 1:23:56 PM
that looks quite fun! Wish there were more.
- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv