Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR

Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
5/17/12 at
9:55:35 PM

I was working on this TR for about an hour and almost finished when I got a "process timed out" screen and lost everything so I am NOT happy right now! OK, sorry, had to vent!

Let me start off by saying I have been VERY sick the past 1 ½ weeks with pneumonia. Getting better but still hacking up a lung at times (I wish I had a sign that said “I’m not contagious!” every time I coughed on line today – you had to see some of the looks I got, LOL). Since I have had little to no joy in my life for a while I decided since it’s my day off, beautiful out and Sky Screamer was opening for SP holders today I decided to head to SFGAdv for a bit. I was planning to stay no later than 2pm since I am still recovering and I desperately needed to go food shopping.

I got to the park around 10:30 am with no problems this time – went right through the season pass parking line and got a spot fairly close. I was a bit worried when I saw all the school buses pulling in but turned out it wasn’t a factor. I immediately went to Sky Screamer (Will call it SS for the remainder of the report) and they were holding a press conference. The employee standing there told me it will open to season pass holders at 1pm. Then I see a whole bunch of Elvis impersonators. They announce the first to ride will be the “Flying Elvises” Really? No, REALLY?! I am so embarrassed this is my home park at this very moment. So the Elvis people board and ride.

Streamers at the press conference

I videotaped the virgin flight and headed to the other side of the park.

The sun was glaring so I couldn't see what I was filming - it came out better than I thought it would

I broke my own rule today and headed to KK first. I was in need of a launch in the worst way. As I was approaching I saw a train crest the hill and saw people in the trains as I was passing the station. I got on line - no FP today :~( and the queue was about ½ way full. This was at 10:45 am. 10 minutes pass, no launches. 20 minutes pass, no launches. WTF?! Is it me?! No one even came by to tell us anything (not that they had to but the people who weren’t regulars had no idea what was going on).

A static KK - this photo is getting taken a bit too frequently for my liking!

25 minutes later a horn sounds and that whoosh of the air in the launch pad can be heard. Thank God! I am starting to understand why so many of you curse him so much. I’ve always been pretty lucky in the past but this year is not looking good thus far. So they open up the line and off we all go. They have the line for the front row roped off in a way that when you enter the platform, that’s where you end up. We were all confused – the ride op kept saying there were 2 lines but it looked like if you went to the left you would be trying to get to the other platform. Nope – that’s the regular seating now. STUPID. They only had the one loading platform open and 2 trains on (no sign of the other 2 anywhere) so I elected to just go for the 2nd row. The front row must have been at least an 1 to 1 ½ hour wait (due to the stupid configuration). About 20 minutes after they opened the line I was strapped in and ready to go while praying “please don’t break down now, please don’t break down now”. He didn’t and I got my much needed adrenaline rush and it was glorious with the exception of the grown man in the front row SCREAMING like a 12 year old girl the ENTIRE ride. UGH! I kept telling him to shut up but he was too busy screaming to hear me.

It was around 11:30 am now and I was debating on whether to head to ET or not – thought the line would be crazy by now with all the school kids but I decided to take a look. As I was walking I got one of my delectable Mexican pastries since all the stands were open this time, YAY! Got to ET and there was no one there. At first I thought it was closed but nope. No line. Put my bag in a locker and went in. I get to the top of the platform and there were 3 teenagers in front of me, probably around 16. The blocking of the pathway to the back was in full swing so one of the kids started to push through and I followed behind him. This guy (with his wife and 2 young children) grabs him by the shirt and starts screaming at him to get back, where does he think he’s going, he’s not cutting, etc. I am trying to tell the guy to walk past the people then and go to the back – there’s no one there! But he wasn’t listening. The kid breaks free (he was holding his tee shirt) and he follows him still screaming then blocks his path. I go after them (before the a**hole ends up hurting him) and scream “turn around – there’s NOBODY on line for the back rows!” He turns around and begins to apologize profusely to the kid and to me. What a moron. Great example to show your children. So I get in the back row and had a wonderful ride. They didn’t have to reset and open the restraints at all! Looks like someone is finally learning how to do their job.

I shot this one too soon - was trying to get KK cresting and ET going down the hill - it was too bright to see the damn phone clearly! (right click and view image to see the trains more clearly)

I debated going for another spin but it was 12:05 at this point and I wanted to get to SS around 1 pm so I left. Then I thought about it and headed to Medusa (Bizarro). I knew it would be a walk-on and I am so worried that they are going to remove her at the end of the season. I carry a fanny pack like a pocketbook around my shoulder and only put it on when I ride so I get crap from people all the time when I enter the queues. For the first time in park history, I approach the employee at the entrance and say “It’s a fanny pack” and she says “I know – have a great ride!” OMG! I nearly fainted, LOL! (Mike will understand how rare this is!) So I go to the platform and the last row had the gate open and was empty. I barely had time to put the fanny pack on. Then a ride op comes over and staples me in with all of his might – on MEDUSA! Ow! I told him there was no need for that – my boobs hurt, that’s how tight he had me in (and I am not a big chested woman). Did he think he was giving me a mammogram?! WTF? Someone needs to be transferred to ET. So I ride painfully tight, get to the end and there was no one in my row to board (they had 3 trains running) so I stayed on for another. This time I loosened the harness and pushed all of my weight forward so mammogram man couldn’t get me again. It worked and I had an enjoyable ride.

Please don't take her from us!

It was around 12:40 pm so I ventured off back to SS.

Could see it was up and running on my way there

Here I will take you all through my experience with SS on a photo journey:

I arrived at 1:05 pm and walked right into the queue – not much of a wait.
I was in the next group to board:

Pic I took while waiting

And then:

The ride ops got everyone off the ride!Followed by the obligatory "we are experiencing minor technical difficulties and do not know how long SS will be down"

They just got thrown off a ride - why the hell are those two girls high-fiving each other?!

Lots of people with tools showing up and going over by the station

Then the ride ops started to fasten the seatbelts:

And 20 minutes later a test run:

And we were up again:

As for the ride, it was a nice, relaxing ride with spectacular views of the park. It spins at a fairly slow pace (similar to regular swings), goes to the top, comes back down a bit then spins faster and goes back up again. I always loved the swings b/c I found them so relaxing but I felt a little dizzy on this one because instead of looking at the chair in front of me I was looking all around the park as I was spinning. The capacity is going to be a nightmare. Only 40 people per cycle and the queue will be spilling out – it’s definitely not big enough. It was a nice ride but I wouldn’t wait more than 20 minutes for it. And it is definitely NOT a thrill ride but they do need more for families so it has its place.

I then went to Nitro for my last ride of the day. As I go on line the employee at the entrance says "you can't go on with that" pointing to the fanny pack. I say it's a fanny pack, I'll put it on before I ride and he tells me I have to put it on in front of him. He was about 17 yrs old and I actually said "are you "bleeping" serious?!" and walked away. That completely deflated my happiness from the Medusa employee! Got on line at the “wait time is 1 hour from this point” sign then 5 minutes later I was at the “wait time is 30 minutes from this point”. Was I in a time warp? Waited a total of 15 minutes for the last row and she delivered. It was strange because I never felt such intense positive G forces on her before. I don’t know if it was because I was still recovering from my illness but my chest felt like it was in my butt! I was hoping I’d get a grey out but I don’t think I did. Got a little light-headed but that was about it.

On my way back I decided to check out the other new rides that weren’t opened yet.

They were testing the elephants

And testing the scrambler - it's where the Pendulum used to be before St Louis stole it from us :-P

But the bumper cars were no where in sight...

Overall I had a nice day and I really needed to get out of the house for a little while. It was beautiful out and even with the KK and SS breakdowns it was MUCH smoother than opening day. I did almost the same amount of riding with no FP, with the exception of GL and Batman, between 10:45 – 2:15 pm that Mike and I did from 10:30 – 6 pm with a FP on our opening day nightmare. I left around 2:30 pm and was so exhausted that the only food shopping I did was at the drive-thru at Chick-fil-et on my way home LOL! Oh well, tomorrow’s another day.....

* This post was modified at 5/18/12 11:26:47 AM *

Jen
Re: Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/18/12 1:03:52 AM
Thanks for the description of Sky Screamer. I saw the SS at SFFT testing the other day. I'm curious to get on it and feel what it's like being in such open chairs that high off the ground.

- Pat-O

Re: Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/18/12 2:22:02 AM
Great tr, shame about some of the problems you had in the day and hope you get better. I was under the weather myself this week (inflamed throat and stuffy nose), so to a degree I sympathize with what you were going thru.

Don't be ashamed about going to KK first, I'd do that (only because I rather not pay for the flash pass).

smh (shake my head) at the confrontation b/w the adult and teen for ET.

Sucks about the problem with Nitro about the fanny pack. lol about the Bizzaro part, they don't need to push down that hard, the seatbelt is there for a reason.

Re: Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/18/12 10:14:14 AM
Nice TR!

I CAN'T BELIEVE that guy grabbed a kid by his shirt. If I were that kid I would have told that dude to get off me or I'm filing charges of harassment!

You don't grab some kid by his shirt unless you are a security guard.

Also about the fanny pack thing, I don't know why it's an issue since you can strap it around you, but they treat it like it's a purse if it ISN'T strapped on. To avoid some 17 year old telling you to put it on it might be best to put it on as you enter the que or before. That way you will never get crap about it.

I'm stoked for a few SS rides myself. I bet it has some awesome views!

Nice pictures too!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/18/12 10:33:03 AM
mugen828 said:

And even then....not always the best thing to do unless there's a physical threat to someone.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/18/12 10:57:33 AM
mugen828 said:

Nice TR!

I CAN'T BELIEVE that guy grabbed a kid by his shirt. If I were that kid I would have told that dude to get off me or I'm filing charges of harassment!

All I kept thinking was "I can't believe I'm going to have to go to court and testify about this" I can't believe I was the only one who tried to do anything. Everyone else just stood by and watched the "show". This guy was easily in his late 40's and acting that way to a teenager is beyond stupid.

Also about the fanny pack thing, I don't know why it's an issue since you can strap it around you, but they treat it like it's a purse if it ISN'T strapped on. To avoid some 17 year old telling you to put it on it might be best to put it on as you enter the que or before. That way you will never get crap about it.

It's not that big of a deal, I'm used to it but I've never had anyone demand that I put it on in front of them so I was like, WTH? I don't think so. Did that kid actually think the ride ops would let me ride with something hanging around my shoulder? LOL! I usually say it's a fanny pack and I'll put it on before I ride and it isn't a problem.

I'm stoked for a few SS rides myself. I bet it has some awesome views!

Nice pictures too!

Thanks! The views were great but like I said, when you are looking around at the park while spinning at a decent pace it made me quite dizzy.

I also forgot to mention there are no items of any kind allowed on SS, including fanny packs, but they let you put all of your crap in the middle and you don't have to pay for a locker (yet).

Jen

Re: Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/18/12 11:14:38 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Don't be ashamed about going to KK first, I'd do that (only because I rather not pay for the flash pass).

I wasn't ashamed, LOL! I don't go to KK first b/c then I lose my "wees" on everything after that because it's so intense that everything after it feels like a joke! I got no wee on Medusa and only a little on the first hill on ET. If I go on them first I get many more of those butterflies in my stomach that I love so much.

lol about the Bizzaro part, they don't need to push down that hard, the seatbelt is there for a reason.

I know! He was a big guy (strong, not heavy set) and used all of his strength to slam the restraints on everyone. He seriously needs to be moved to the El Toro crew - his skills would be quite useful over there!

Jen

* This post was modified at 5/18/12 11:15:18 AM *

Re: Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/18/12 1:39:57 PM
LoneStar said:

Thanks for the description of Sky Screamer. I saw the SS at SFFT testing the other day. I'm curious to get on it and feel what it's like being in such open chairs that high off the ground.

- Pat-O

It is a nice, free feeling but there is a thick, orange seatbelt that goes across your lower chest/upper abdomen that is extremely tight. It actually gets tighter whenever it can (if you move into a position where it can get another click in - it's always pulling, trying to get tighter) so when you sit down, position it so it's comfortable and don't move :~).

Jen

Re: Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/20/12 7:31:58 AM
How was Green Lantern? I loved it as Chang. Has it aged ok; was it put together well? Should I get to it and Superman early because of lines or can they wait? For a super view, I'm thinking about Sky Screamer at night. Do you have any idea of what kind of crowds I should expect then?
Re: Sky Screamer Debut at Great Adventure TR by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/20/12 10:19:45 AM
theRock-steel said:

How was Green Lantern? I loved it as Chang. Has it aged ok; was it put together well? Should I get to it and Superman early because of lines or can they wait? For a super view, I'm thinking about Sky Screamer at night. Do you have any idea of what kind of crowds I should expect then?

GL is pretty good for a stand-up IMO. Much smoother in the front. It's one of the few coasters I don't like the back on (the other being KK). I can't compare it to when it was Chang since I did not ride it back then. The lines for GL get very long so without a FP you should hit that one and Superman early. Since they are right next to each other it's convenient. Both have capacity issues. KK gets long lines as well but if it isn't breaking down for 20 minutes at a time the line moves quickly.

As far as crowds it depends when you go. If you can hit it on a weekday in May there will be light crowds but if you wait until school is out (mid to end of June) then crowds can be an issue on any day. I stay away on the weekends unless I get a FP.

Jen