Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > New coaster at SDC for 2013

New coaster at SDC for 2013

SirWillow SirWillow Profile

Posted:
5/16/12 at
10:15:41 PM

I know the park isn't saying much yet, but I'm surprised that there isn't a whole lot of discussion yet on it outside of a few asides on the 2013. So I hope you'll indulge me a bit, being as I get to see the ride being built multiple times a day (I'm working on the train out there now)

Nothing official from the park- not even unofficial to the employees as yet. Honestly, they've said pretty much nothing about it. But it's going to be massive. They've topped out the lift already, and have the lift hill going over the railroad completed. Easily the tallest ride in the park when it's done. Steel frame for the station is also starting to go up and they are working on more footers and going down the first drop now.

This thing is going to be huge. yes, it's wood, and yes it'll have the topper track like on Texas Giant. At least that what it sure looks like on those spots with track already...

Re: New coaster at SDC for 2013 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/17/12 1:03:33 AM
^^^ So it's supposed to have topper track the New Texas Giant? Wouldn't that make it a steelie? RCDB has the NTG as a steelie, and this new SDC coaster a woodie, confusing to say the least; The new 'buzz' word that's thrown around now concerning the Rocky Mtn topper track on wooden supports, is 'wooden hybrid'. I'm still calling it a steelie if it doesn't have wooden laminated top track. Suddenly the amusement media acts as if coasters like Gemini have never been built before, I haven't heard anyone call it a 'wooden hybrid'. Anyway, I'm very intrigued with this coaster believe me, I've been frequently trying to find any info on this mysterious coaster.

www.sdcfans.com/news/140

* This post was modified at 5/17/12 1:38:34 AM *

Re: New coaster at SDC for 2013 by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/17/12 9:33:19 AM
SirWillow said:

I know the park isn't saying much yet, but I'm surprised that there isn't a whole lot of discussion yet on it outside of a few asides on the 2013. So I hope you'll indulge me a bit, being as I get to see the ride being built multiple times a day (I'm working on the train out there now)

Nothing official from the park- not even unofficial to the employees as yet. Honestly, they've said pretty much nothing about it. But it's going to be massive. They've topped out the lift already, and have the lift hill going over the railroad completed. Easily the tallest ride in the park when it's done. Steel frame for the station is also starting to go up and they are working on more footers and going down the first drop now.

This thing is going to be huge. yes, it's wood, and yes it'll have the topper track like on Texas Giant. At least that what it sure looks like on those spots with track already...

Topper track is not the same as whats on the Giant, That is Like a I-Beam Rail. Topper track is wood layered with the two top layers replaced by a two inch wide steel rail. Topper track can be used with existing trains with metal wheels, where the I beam takes eurothane wheels.

Chuck, just wondering, Any Idea of the height? And what kind of terrain do they have cleared?

Re: New coaster at SDC for 2013 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/17/12 12:01:26 PM
^^^Chuck, thanks for clearing that up. It will be interesting to see if it will have New Texas Giant-like maneuvers like very high banking etc.
Re: New coaster at SDC for 2013 by Franchise at 5/17/12 12:31:29 PM
Based on practically every report regarding NTAG, there seems to be a lot of reason to be extremely excited for this ride. Many people say the airtime on NTAG is "El Toro" like, so it's pretty safe to say that Rocky Mountain Coasters is very good at calculating airtime into their designs. There are reports that this coaster is going to be an out and back design as well, so that coupled with the design skill of the manufacturer leads me to believe that this could end up being a VERY high quaility ride. At this point all opinions are based purely on speculation, but certainly this project should be garnering more interest than it does.
Re: New coaster at SDC for 2013 by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 5/17/12 8:27:50 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Topper track is not the same as whats on the Giant, That is Like a I-Beam Rail. Topper track is wood layered with the two top layers replaced by a two inch wide steel rail. Topper track can be used with existing trains with metal wheels, where the I beam takes eurothane wheels.

Chuck, just wondering, Any Idea of the height? And what kind of terrain do they have cleared?

Thanks for the clarification Chuck. I haven't seen the Texas Giant track up close, but at SDC it's absolutely the stacked wood layers for track topped off with the steel rail. It's not what I would call steel track (though some may disagree)

They've started the turn around on the top of the hill, and looks like they are turning it to drop into the valley that's right there.

Again, nothing official (the park is really saying absolutely nothing at this point to anyone), but the rumors I've seen on the internet said 160 foot drop, which looks like it'll be pretty close with the valley there. I also saw a rumor that it may have an 81 degree drop, but I have no clue on the accuracy of that.

It's quite fun to watch it go up bit by bit each day while riding the train around. Framing and walls starting to go up for the station now as well.

Re: New coaster at SDC for 2013 by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/20/12 8:15:44 AM
SirWillow said:

at SDC it's absolutely the stacked wood layers for track topped off with the steel rail. It's not what I would call steel track (though some may disagree)

They've started the turn around on the top of the hill, and looks like they are turning it to drop into the valley that's right there.

Again, nothing official (the park is really saying absolutely nothing at this point to anyone), but the rumors I've seen on the internet said 160 foot drop, which looks like it'll be pretty close with the valley there. I also saw a rumor that it may have an 81 degree drop, but I have no clue on the accuracy of that.

It's quite fun to watch it go up bit by bit each day while riding the train around. Framing and walls starting to go up for the station now as well.

This should be the bomb !!

[I would like to go back to Texas and Missouri sometime soon.
This is making me think about 2014. ]