Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12

Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12

alpengeistno3

Posted:
5/16/12 at
7:25:39 PM

Hey guys,
Just got back from BGE today. I'll be brief for now since we have Band practice tonight. My initial impression of Verbolten was "cute". I got assigned to row 3 and there was nothing to write home about there. Later, when I got a back seat ride, my impression changed to "very nice." The layout in the event building is very simple, like Skull Mountain, but there are some intense moments.
The final drop is a bit more intense in the back as well.

No spoilers here (I'll save those for when I get back from practice if I am not dead asleep since I have been up since 1:00 AM this morning), but BGE got the ride they wanted. A family ride that has more thrills than a roller skater or a mine train. As long as you ride Verbolten with that in mind, you will enjoy it. Big Bad Drachen Flyer will have to come later :)

Spoilers to come...

Paul

Re: Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12 by alpengeistno3 at 5/17/12 1:18:45 AM
Spoiler alert...(Do not read if you don't want to know what is in the show building!)

The ride starts off with a path similar to how BBW left the station (it's slightly more undulating with some hills in the turns.) You hit the 1st launch into the Black Forest with a nice pop of air at the top into a low level clockwise helix ala Skull Mountain at Gradv. The helix then turns into a counter clockwise spiral (I couldn't tell how long we were going downward before rising up. Maybe 540*? The G forces are significant in this spiral, especially going downward (I greyed out a little towards the end.)

The spiral rises up into the 1st block brake, which stops the train to a crawl before you take a small diving 180* turn around the initial helix to the enter a 2nd block brake. This is to set you up for one of the 3 show programs. "Spirit" and "Storm" use the same black light tree effects with Spirit featuring a voice saying something to you about leaving. Storm does exactly that, recreates a storm with simulated thunder and lightning. For "Wolf", well that one is self explanatory. You are surrounded by red wolf eyes (remember that old BBW commercial from the 80's? The eyes seem based on that design.)

While this is going on, the train is slowly brought forward in position for the drop. I'm sure it is no secret that this is a vertical drop, ala Thirteen. It's not a very high drop, maybe 20 feet, but happens sudden enough to startle you, even if you know that is what is going to happen.

From there, there is a small momentum hill out of the show building to the 2nd launch track. If forcefully launches you up to the covered bridge where there the train is slowed to a crawl like Griffon's 2nd drop. Creaking bridge sounds are played over the speakers until you "fall" off the bridge in to the drop that follows the path of BBW's famous Rhine drop.

My thoughts:
The ride does have some forceful moments: the 2nd helix has some grey out level forces. The 2nd launch will snap you back in your seat in the back seat. There is a small bit of airtime at the top of the 1st launch track and the final drop to the Rhine.

The drop track is a far more effective trick than it looks on a video. Even after riding the ride enough times to count down the drop, it happens so sudden, it will catch your body off guard.

The best feature of the final drop is not really the actual drop, but the ride back up to the station. There are some good lateral G moments in the turns.

So, how does it compare to BBW? It is clearly an homage to BBW with the use of the helices through cut out trees in the show building. The final drop speaks for itself as the ultimate homage. Right now, I think it is a better ride than Wolf, but it had to grow on me (plus I had ridden Wolf enough to no longer be impressed by it.) So I am biased. I will say that everything Wolf did Verbolten found a way to do it better and the sum of those parts made it a better ride to me. Now, beyond that, I said it in the 1st post. Busch got the ride they wanted and it does what it does very well. You just have to keep in mind that Busch was not trying to break any records here. It is a very nice complement to their current world class collection of coasters and the subtle effort put in the show building put it just below a Disney/Universal level.

Paul- who has now been up for 24 hours and will proofread this tomorrow because I am beat!!

Re: Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/17/12 2:23:57 AM
Very nice detailed V-Bolt report Paul. It's good to hear the different forces throughout the ride; The trifecta is always good with some good positive-G's, a lil' airtime, and lats all being mentioned. Two questions.

Grade the freefall drops velocity from 1 to 10? With '1' just being an ordinary elevator ride from the second to the ground floor, and '10' being the drop on a First generation freefall.

Which Black Forest effect you like the most the wolves, spirit, or storm?

Thanks for the TR!

Re: Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12 by alpengeistno3 at 5/17/12 10:41:07 PM
Overbanked said:

Grade the freefall drops velocity from 1 to 10? With '1' just being an ordinary elevator ride from the second to the ground floor, and '10' being the drop on a First generation freefall.

In actual force, it is a 5 or 6. Think Tower of Terror where the ride does the program with the short drop (it's only around 20-30 feet). What gets you is that it is completely dark and unless you are aware of the mechanical cues that let you know when it will drop, it is sudden enough to shock you. That makes it a 9 for overall effectiveness (the small size being the only thing that keeps it from being a 10).

Overbanked said:

Which Black Forest effect you like the most the wolves, spirit, or storm?

Storm is executed the best with the thunder and lightning effects, but lets face it. Considering the rides locale, how could anyone say anything other than wolf?

Overbanked said:

Thanks for the TR!

Thanks for the comments. Glad it was worth staying up extra late last night to bang it out (hope I didn't make too many typos in my sleep deprived haze!)

Paul

Re: Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/18/12 1:00:49 AM
Excellent ride description, Paul. Thanks for all the detail, and you have a wonderful memory. It's hard to believe one could say the ride is better than BBW!

- Pat-O

Re: Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/18/12 2:24:58 AM
Great tr! Well I guess I should cut the ride some slack. I was worried it was going to be too tame, but from what you've described, I guess it has more to offer especially the indoors segment.

Special effects wise, is it better than 'Italian Job'?

Re: Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/18/12 7:16:29 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Great tr! Well I guess I should cut the ride some slack. I was worried it was going to be too tame, but from what you've described, I guess it has more to offer especially the indoors segment.

Special effects wise, Plan 9 From Outer Space is better than Italian Job. J/K (sorta)

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12 by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 5/18/12 2:43:31 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Much better than IJ special effects wise, yes.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12 *NM* by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/18/12 4:16:11 PM
Sounds great.
Re: Verbolten Media Day TR 5/16/12 by alpengeistno3 at 5/18/12 10:16:44 PM
Great_Ump said:

Cyclone_Phil said:

Much better than IJ special effects wise, yes.

Joe
Great_Ump

Agreed. Even media day when everything worked on Italian job, its effects are like a child's work compared to what Busch has done with Verbolten. The whole effects package is "Orlando" quality.

Paul

* This post was modified at 5/20/12 12:04:28 AM *