Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Stredain Stredain Profile

Posted:
5/11/12 at
10:01:16 PM

I am pleased to announce that Verbolten has OPENED ahead of schedule at Busch Gardens Williamsburg! This last week, people were treated to the sights and sounds of Verbolten as it was being tested by the BG Rollercoaster team. I personally stood on the Bridge to Germany section and watched the sleek cars thunder in front of me. Verbolten appears to be magnetic driven in its propulsion.. I can't wait to ride this new addition to the BGW family!

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by alpengeistno3 at 5/12/12 10:07:14 AM
Awesome news. If there aren't any trip reports before then, I'll have one by next weekend after I go to media day this week (unfortunately I have a concert with the kids on Thursday and a trip to SFA with them on Friday, so it will take me until Saturday to get a chance to post anything :(

Paul

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by Stredain Stredain Profile at 5/12/12 6:24:29 PM
After going through my notes regarding Verbolten, I wanted to post a few observations.
First off, I watched V. as she launched and got a glimpse of the undercarriage braking system: a solid block with ceramic wheels. And also, I noticed that V. lacks chains or any other the standard methods of launching...and the breaking system made me wonder if a magnetic system is in use?
Secondly, I also noticed while V. was a fairish distance away from the viewer, you cannot hear it at all.. you dont know a car is approaching until its at the apex closest to you. (unlike Alpengeist, that Old Girl LETS you know she is nearby and is easily the most 'Talkative' lady of the BG Rollercoaster family)!)
Third and the most incredible observation, I timed the Verbolten's track speeds at an average of 54.5 MPH.. and thats during the VISIBLE section of the track.
My conclusions so far based on what I have seen says that Verbolten looks like another Caveat for BG.. and most assuredly erases the debacle from the Mach Tower flub.
Thanks for reading.. as for Mach Tower, you dont ever wanna ride that thing...
Stredain
Season Passholder of Busch Gardens Williamsburg and rollercoaster nutball
Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/13/12 11:35:31 PM
Here's the first long awaited (at least for me) youtube Verbolten POV!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZ6UaFYBYE

* This post was modified at 5/16/12 6:53:17 PM *

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/13/12 11:56:55 PM
I'm still disappointed that it's basically a launching version of BBW and that the drop is much shorter. Inside the building segment looks interesting and I'm sure the track drop will shock 1st timers.

Oh well, not going this year (going to only KD), but I'll try to get to BGW next year.

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/14/12 1:13:19 AM
^^^Now that I've saw the POV, I tend to agree with you. IMO the Th13teen/Polar Xplorer/Verbolten 'freefall drops' seems to be like a 'glorified Frog Hopper in the dark' people's reactions (or lack of) says alot; Until someone makes a pretty lofty coaster freefall, I don't see it consistently wowing anyone other than the little ones who can barely ride it. The river drop does not look nearly intense or imposing as BBW's(which had that moderate thrill factor) it looks very tame, and controlled, V-Bolt is what it is, a nice family coaster. Let me shut up before the obligatory "You don't know until you ride" people come in. LOL

Now time to open Pandora's Box; Will it count as three coaster creds if you ride all three Verbolten Black Forest experiences? LOL JK.

* This post was modified at 5/14/12 1:49:09 AM *

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by alpengeistno3 at 5/14/12 9:25:49 PM
I think we "enthusiasts" are missing the real point of the freefall drop...it's supposed to be a surprise!! Kind of hard to do when you have checked out every spoiler, blueprint/layout drawing for the ride before it is even open. For GP, it should be a more impressive element since they have no idea it is coming.

I said this on Facebook, too many people are way too much nostalgic about BBW. Despite being one of the best suspended coasters, it was only a "good" ride on its best day (which ironically was after the sun went down.) Verbolten combines two of Wolf's best elements, the near misses of the cutout village and the final drop to the Rhine and loses two of the drawbacks (the two slow lifts). It evens adds the drop track and launches as a bonus. I haven't rode yet, but I fail to see how they could have messed up by taking so many good elements of Wolf and making them better.

Will it be a great ride on the level of Alpengeist, Apollo, Griffon, and to a degree, Loch Ness? Probably not, but neither was BBW, IMHO. There is nothing wrong with being a good ride. Lots of people like good rides, too.

-this coming from someone who got sent to work BBW more than a couple times and managed to get at least one ride out of it while I was there.

Paul

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/14/12 11:04:14 PM
Of course the launches beats out the slow lift hills and this new coaster will be far more reliable than the old suspended coaster it replaced. However, I get the feeling that they could've done just a little more with what they have, but settled with 'good enough'.

Obviously when they went with this coaster as opposed to what some of us would've loved being a flyer, it was going to be a much 'tamer' ride, but I still would've preferred something more in between than just a family coaster. With all the land DF occupied, this coaster could've been Cheetah Hunt length and made use of all that space [which is probably going to be left empty as I doubt they'll build a coaster with a hard to get to entrance].

So, I guess it's the extremist in me, but I feel that it is a disappointment with missed opportunities.

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/14/12 11:48:12 PM
You're right Paul about us spoiled enthusiasts constantly knowing all of the skinny about the new attractions, something that the GP is not aware of; I must say, if I had no knowledge of V-Bolt's freefall drop, I don't know exactly what my first reaction would be to it. From looking at the POV, my first thought is that it's definitely something different, and at the same time I'm thinking the 'safe and gradual descending' of that element reminds me almost of an Otis elevator ride from the second floor, those hydraulics are definitely kicking in on that drop, which is understandable given that the drop isn't of notable height. I guess I'm not a big fan of a lot of multi-launch coasters, too much stop-N-go for me *hint hint dilapidated bridge*. The ones that don't interrupt the flow of the ride every ten seconds (like Volcano) do a nice job; On the other hand you have Cheetah Hunt's second stretch (first stretch was great) after the MCBR, which to me seems lackluster. One thing about BBW's river drop, it was as if you where gonna be plunged into the water (with the track over your head) V-Bolt's river drop kinda looked like a typical sit-down coaster that's on top of the water like Ninja(SFOG) etc. BBW's river drop was more taller (99ft/V-Bolt 88ft) and looks way more intense; That old school intensity is being lost with these super smooth steelies. The Wolf was easily the best suspended that I rode. I'm not gonna be that annoying guy that constantly compare V-Bolt to BBW, but I had to mini-gripe a lil this last time. Hopefully V-Bolt's ride experience will surprise me whenever I get to ride.

* This post was modified at 5/15/12 1:35:21 PM *

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by alpengeistno3 at 5/15/12 1:06:56 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Of course the launches beats out the slow lift hills and this new coaster will be far more reliable than the old suspended coaster it replaced. However, I get the feeling that they could've done just a little more with what they have, but settled with 'good enough'.

Obviously when they went with this coaster as opposed to what some of us would've loved being a flyer, it was going to be a much 'tamer' ride, but I still would've preferred something more in between than just a family coaster. With all the land DF occupied, this coaster could've been Cheetah Hunt length and made use of all that space [which is probably going to be left empty as I doubt they'll build a coaster with a hard to get to entrance].

So, I guess it's the extremist in me, but I feel that it is a disappointment with missed opportunities.

Phil, I've said it a million times around here, that area where Drachen Fire used to stand is most likely off limits for ride construction due to the complaints from the Kingsmill Resort about the proximity to their property. I find it ironic that they were owned by what was Busch Entertainment (don't know if things have been reorganized since the sale) and were key in opposition to the park's expansion, their concerns have been taken in consideration by the park ever since Alpengeist was constructed in '96. (all major drops/rides have been erected so the screams will resound away from that area.) The only exception I can think of are the summer concerts they used to hold back there the last 2 years before they started building Verbolten, but it seems the park has used the Verbolten construction to build an amphitheater with the left over dirt. Whether they plan to use that to restart the concert series or to just act as another buffer for the ride sounds will remain to be seen.

I admit, when they talked about the revitalized Germany area, I had hoped they would do more to make the coaster a part of that. Larger than life, epic, etc. But, as soon as the height requirement was released, it was clear that that is not the direction that Busch wanted to go. Oh well, at least they are replacing a "family" ride (BBW) with another one, so I'll call it even. Heck, I call it a small win since I have always said Busch needs an indoor coaster and it seems they at least got half of one :)

Paul

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by messier1701 at 5/17/12 6:28:33 PM
Wasn't what made the BBW so great, and the last drop in particular, the fact that it was suspended? and you were freely swinging from the track overhead?

I don't see how that last drop is anything different that the loch ness monster for instance.

The final drop should be the best part of the ride and climax of the ride. I am not sure if this is of the thrill magnitude as BBW's drop.

However I have not ridden the ride, and my comments are only based on what I have seen in the videos.

With the car and track lay out the ride could be and probably is very cool and a very thrilling experience.

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by alpengeistno3 at 5/17/12 10:56:00 PM
messier1701 said:

Wasn't what made the BBW so great, and the last drop in particular, the fact that it was suspended? and you were freely swinging from the track overhead?

BBW's drop was special because of the suspended trains, but great? Just as the ride started picking up momentum, you hit 3 tight trims. Not quite as bad a Hercules or Mean Streak, but the really sucked a lot of life out of it.

messier1701 said:

I don't see how that last drop is anything different that the loch ness monster for instance.

And you would question whether BBW's trimmed final drop is better than Loch Ness's untrimmed one? Everyone has their opinions, but I would love to hear the justification for that one.

messier1701 said:

The final drop should be the best part of the ride and climax of the ride. I am not sure if this is of the thrill magnitude as BBW's drop.

For all intents and purposes, it is BBW's drop. It uses the exact same footers and is the same height. It is actually a further drop because Verbolten rides on top of the footers, so you start at 100 feet on top of the track instead of under it and you drop down to the footers right on top of them instead of about 20 feet above them. So you are getting a 100 foot drop instead of the 80 foot one Wolf actually had. And it is not trimmed :)

messier1701 said:

However I have not ridden the ride, and my comments are only based on what I have seen in the videos.

You really need to get down to VA before you make any more comparisons. I haven't seen the video, yet (that's on my to do list), but I am 90% sure it does not do the actual ride any justice.
With the car and track lay out the ride could be and probably is very cool and a very thrilling experience.

Paul

* This post was modified at 5/18/12 8:48:21 PM *

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by messier1701 at 5/18/12 2:17:29 AM
i just wanted to raise the issue of suspended coaster drop on BBW vs. the regular coaster lay out drop on verbolten.

BBW's final drop and last few turns were pretty cool. I mean not an extreme thrill ride, but still pretty fun i would say.

one thing i loved about BBW was that the best drop was at the end. It would be cool on verbolten if that final drop was the climax, to save that same feature of the wolf. (do you see what i am saying)

Re: Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg by alpengeistno3 at 5/18/12 10:08:10 PM
Like Thirteen?? Where it does the freefall drop then basically rolls into the station? Not anywhere near as imaginative as Verbolten, IMHO.

Paul

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.