Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > A few moments on Memory Lane, New England

A few moments on Memory Lane, New England

MABrider MABrider Profile

Posted:
5/10/12 at
1:38:02 PM

I've lived all my life in the north of Boston area, and am familiar with all of the locations depicted in photos in the link below.

It's a montage of 21 photos, most of which are park or coaster centric: 1-4, 7-8, 11-14, 19-21.

I wish it was a bit more comprehensive, but it gives a taste, as it were. Of course, this may be of interest only to anyone familiar with the areas in question.

I actually rode most of the rides shown (OK not #1, LOL).

Note how the caption of photo #4 says it "...was sold to an amusement park in Maryland..." (I find that choice of words somehow amusing).

Photo #7 makes me sad the way any image of something that "used to be" brings on that sense of nostalgia. (Photos of me 30 years ago has the same affect, LOL). I remember quite well the way the train left that station, swooping down into a tunnel to get to the lift hill way over on the opposite side (lift hill is visible in the background...skewed by the fish-eye lens) and off on a great ride which incidentally had high banked fan curves you just don't see anymore.

Vintage NE attractions

* This post was modified at 5/10/12 5:28:00 PM *

Mike B.
Re: A few moments on Memory Lane, New England by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/10/12 3:00:00 PM
Very cool find Mike. While I have never been to Boston or the New England area, I am still always fascinated to see historic pics of long-gone amusement parks.

As a huge Himalaya/Musik Express fan, I really enjoyed that picture of the Reverchon Himalaya at Paragon Park. Based on the look of the cars, it appeared to be one of the original models (I believe the counter-clockwise facing Polar Express at Coney’s 12th Street Amusements is also an original model). It’s also always neat to see a picture of an operating Rotor. Using my flat ride knowledge that I learned from URC (thanks sparky and LONNOL), Canobie’s is the only known operating SDC Rotor. It’s too bad those rides have all but vanished. Gravitrons and Starship 2000’s just aren’t the same.

And how can anyone not love the “SkyDiner” ride. Did one eat their lunch or dinner while on board? ;)

Thanks again for posting this Mike. Very cool to say the least.

Re: A few moments on Memory Lane, New England by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/10/12 5:27:07 PM
ray_p said:

And how can anyone not love the “SkyDiner” ride. Did one eat their lunch or dinner while on board? ;)

LOL, I hoped others would notice that!
BTW, these days, I would lose my lunch on those things!

Mike B.
Re: A few moments on Memory Lane, New England by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/10/12 8:01:33 PM
My friend Ellen is not much for coasters/amusement parks. But she's spent a lot of time in New England for school and leisure/vacation, and has many friends in the area. She enjoyed looking at these (I sent her the link) as much as I did. Thanks for posting, Mike B.!

Mike G.

* This post was modified at 5/10/12 8:02:04 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...