Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point hotel logistics

Cedar Point hotel logistics

sarki7 sarki7 Profile

Posted:
5/10/12 at
1:15:32 PM

Hello friends – turns out I will be able to swing by Sandusky for a few days when I’m back east in June, and I’ve booked 3 days at Cedar Point. For my previous visits, I stayed in the official hotels, but the off-peninsula ones (Radisson and Breakers Express). We’ve upgraded to the actual Breakers for this visit, I have a few questions about how it works when you stay closer to the action, and the official website was no help.

- Is access to Perimeter Road restricted? Do I need to prove I’m a hotel guest to get back there?
- I assume I don’t have to go through the parking tollbooths, but is there a parking charge to stay at the hotel?
- How quiet does the early entry hour end up being?
- It looks like there are park entrances by Magnum, and by Sky Screamer – those are my best options?
- Are there any table-service restaurants you’ve found that are worth a visit?

Also hitting Canada's Wonderland and Marineland - and already psyched.

* This post was modified at 5/10/12 1:17:22 PM *

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/10/12 3:09:40 PM
- Is access to Perimeter Road restricted? Do I need to prove I’m a hotel guest to get back there?

As far as I know, when the park is open, anyone can go back there. I always try to park in the Soak City lot myself, and I am not a resort guest, so I do not believe you need to prove that you’re staying there.

- I assume I don’t have to go through the parking tollbooths, but is there a parking charge to stay at the hotel?

Yes, you do have to go through the parking toll booths. Stay to the far left to make your life easier and tell the attendant you are staying at Breakers. I am not sure if you have to pay for parking as I usually have a Platinum Pass. I would assume yes, but perhaps someone else can help out here.

Depends. During less crowded periods, you can usually get a few rides on maverick, walk down to Millennium Force and ride that once or twice, and then head over by Dragster to get in line just as the GP folks come streaming in. I have also gone on days where I have entered through the Resort Gate, walked briskly to Maverick, and encountered a 40 minute wait during Early Entry.

- It looks like there are park entrances by Magnum, and by Sky Screamer – those are my best options?

YES! The one closest to Magnum is your best bet if you want to hit Maverick first, the WindSeeker gate on the beach is probably a better bet for Millennium Force.

I usually don’t eat at the park, but the Midway Market Buffet is actually decent. Located next to Raptor, this all-you-can-eat buffet is priced around $15-16 and includes a drink. Considering that an order of fries and a drink is over $8.50 these days, that’s actually a good deal.

I’m sure others will chime in with help as well. Enjoy your trip!

Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/10/12 3:26:32 PM
sarki7 said:

Hello friends – turns out I will be able to swing by Sandusky for a few days when I’m back east in June, and I’ve booked 3 days at Cedar Point. For my previous visits, I stayed in the official hotels, but the off-peninsula ones (Radisson and Breakers Express). We’ve upgraded to the actual Breakers for this visit, I have a few questions about how it works when you stay closer to the action, and the official website was no help.

Also hitting Canada's Wonderland and Marineland - and already psyched.

When you pull up to the parking booths there will be a lane to the left for hotel parking. I think you must pay parking, but the hotel will reimburse you. Just follow the road around the park. You'll eventually run into Breakers. You then get a parking pass from the hotel and then you can come and go as you please.
That early entry will give you multiple rides on Maverick and Millennium Force. The only thing bad about the early entry is that only Raptor, Iron Dragon, Millennium Force, and Maverick are open. All the coasters open when the general public is let in.
The best entrance from Breakers is by Magnum. It is a very short walk from the hotel to the entrance gate.
There is a TGI Fridays inside Breakers. It's a good place to eat because it's no more expensive than any place in the park and the restaurant is usually pretty emtpy during the day and the service is fast. In the late evening is when it will get crowded.
Breakers is a beautiful hotel with great service and staff. You really feel like you are staying at a resort. On a side note, at least one morning wake up before daylight and head onto the beach. The sunrise off the lake is beautiful. Have a camera with you, that glare from the rising sun casts a unique glare onto the coasters. It's just a memorable experience. Have fun.

Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/10/12 7:14:06 PM
Thanks guys, quite helpful.

Ok, I’m there during the week, the first week in June, which shouldn’t be the worst of it crowds-wise, though I think kids may just have gotten out of school? If I can get Maverick and MF taken care of and still get a jump on Dragster as the park opens, I’ll be pretty happy with the extra hour. That doesn’t sound too impossible.

As far as dining, I was considering something a little more upscale. Has anyone ever been to Bay Harbor at the marina? Is it worth checking out? The bar menu looks like a more modest option if the main dining room isn’t worth it. There’s also Tomo Hibachi at the Hotel Breakers – anything that sets it apart from the usual hibachi experience?

I’m mildly annoyed that I have to pay for parking – this is the 21st century, they can’t verify who is and isn’t a hotel guest? Anyway, glad I’ll get reimbursed; my annoyance would have been a lot more than mild. Then again, what I’m paying for parking in Niagara Falls and Toronto, $12 (or whatever it is) for three days is a steal.
Has anyone made the drive between CP and CW? G-maps says about six hours, wondering if there are any headaches I should avoid along the way. I briefly considered taking a ferry from Sandusky across Lake Erie, but not at those prices. :} (Not like it saves that much time anyway)
I’m definitely excited to be able to check out Breakers, I love the turn of the century, Victorian style hotels. Plus, you can’t beat the location!

Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/10/12 8:14:17 PM
sarki7 said:

Has anyone made the drive between CP and CW? G-maps says about six hours,

I sorta did in '10. After some time spent with BigShot Roz and an awesome front seat ride on MF w/ Jen, I took off for the Great White North. I was not driving all the way to CW, but staying with an acquaintance in St. Catherine's, Ontario. It took me about 5 hours to her place, then we drove to CW the next day, about 90 minutes. So yeah, total drive time, 6.5 hours, including border crossing, and I don't drive fast (no comments from the Judy/Jen peanut gallery, please :))

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/10/12 11:02:42 PM
sarki7 said:

The Magnum entrance is the one I've used when I've gone with Roz - close parking available back there too. Most of the crowd goes through the main entrance on the other side (why Raptor has ridiculous long lines early and they disappear by the end of the day). In addition to Magnum and Maverick, TTD is also right there as well. Maverick and TTD usually have the worst lines IMO so it's a good idea to knock them off before the crowds get too large. MF can get bad too but that line moves quickly. I've gone in the main entrance once to hit MF first (that ride I had with Mike and Roz before he abandoned us for Canada!) and there were a lot more people and I'm not even so sure it was closer than the back gate for MF - was still a pretty far hike.

Are there any table-service restaurants you’ve found that are worth a visit?

We ate at the restaurant by Planet Snoopy and the food was excellent! I got a steak sandwich that was fabulous and not too pricey for an amusement park either.

Jen
Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/10/12 11:03:46 PM
beastmaster said:

So yeah, total drive time, 6.5 hours, including border crossing, and I don't drive fast (no comments from the Judy/Jen peanut gallery, please :))

Mike

OW! It hurts when you have to bite your tongue! :-P

Jen

Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/11/12 5:46:49 AM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

So yeah, total drive time, 6.5 hours, including border crossing, and I don't drive fast (no comments from the Judy/Jen peanut gallery, please :))

Mike

OW! It hurts when you have to bite your tongue! :-P

Jen

You're a doctor..fix it!

Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by lk2500 at 5/11/12 8:30:17 AM
sarki7 said:

Ok, I’m there during the week, the first week in June, which shouldn’t be the worst of it crowds-wise, though I think kids may just have gotten out of school?

I started posting some of the park/school info for a bunch of parks in another thread http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/220974:

Sandusky school district web site:
http://www.sandusky-city.k12.oh.us/

2011/2012 Calendar:
http://www.sandusky-city.k12.oh.us/Downloads/2011%2012%20student%20calendar.pdf

School is in session Aug 29th - May 31st.

Cedar Point hours:
http://www.cedarpoint.com/hours-directions

Park opens on May 12th and closes September 3rd except for weekends.

So, weekdays from May 14th through May 30th would be good days to go.

Looks like you're getting there just after school lets out. You could hit Kings Island first, the schools nearby there get out June 5th.

* This post was modified at 5/11/12 8:38:40 AM *

Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by d-lo775 d-lo775 Profile at 5/11/12 10:41:29 AM
While many Cincinnati and Southwest Ohio schools finish their school year around the last week of May/first week of June. Most of the Northern Kentucky schools (within 90 minutes of KI)will end their school year next week. I know of a few that have already started summer break.

* This post was modified at 5/11/12 10:42:38 AM *

Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/11/12 12:23:57 PM
Ok, it's about what I expected. Unfortunately with Mother's Day and family birthdays and then Memorial weekend, couldn't finagle this visit until June, but hopefully that'll at least give us some nicer weather in addition to the nicer crowds.

Too bad I can't squeeze in a trip to PKI to boot. Gotta throw in some culture and sightseeing in Toronto and Niagara Falls, at least if I want my wife to join me for the parks. :} I'll get there someday.

Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/11/12 12:56:57 PM
sarki7 said:

Too bad I can't squeeze in a trip to PKI

Ditch the "P," Greg. ;)

Re: Cedar Point hotel logistics by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/11/12 1:02:55 PM
Haha, can't, my mindless typing won't let me do it. I'm glad CGA put "California" in there, I still get three letters. KI and KD and CW are bad enough, how the hell am I supposed to shorten Carowinds??

Least it's not as bad as BG trying to go by Busch Gardens Africa and Busch Gardens Europe. I can understand Europe, but why would BG build a park in Africa?? I they are and will always be BGW and BGT to me. :}

* This post was modified at 5/11/12 1:03:22 PM *