Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > GAdv Quickie Today

GAdv Quickie Today

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
5/6/12 at
7:05:37 PM

Went down to GAdv today for what I knew would be a short day. Met up wth Gary and Dave from here on URC (both post occasionally) by way of Cincinnatti (always had trouble spelling that..hope it's right.)

Weather was cloudy, but it was expected the sun would come out in the afternoon and it would warm up into the 70's. So I anticipated leaving around 2pm. The only ride the three of us really rode together was Toro, then we split up on Bizarro and they left about 12:15 for Dorney, then Ohio.

GAdv seems to change their mind weekly about the best spot for rope drop. Today it was in FRONT of the fountain.

Ride counts:

El Toro-5 to start the day. Leaving after the 5th, I realized I left my souvenir cup in the rack, so I forced myself into another ride for a day's total of 6. Didn't get stapled in a tightly as usual..they only had to give me an extra push once. I was actually comfortable, and got more airtime on the first three hills than I have previously this season. The Bull was roarin'.

Bizarro..3 rides. Running great, audio on, mister on, fire on.

Runaway Train..2

Flume-1. It was open for the first time on my visits this season. Rode by myself, hardly got wet at all. We talk a lot on here about roughness. I believe the Log Flume is the roughest ride at the park. Not enough water in the trough to alleviate the bumping, and the lift hills are teeth-rattlers.

While I rode the Train/Flume, Gary and Dave had gone over to the games area on the Boardwalk. I met them there, but that's when they left. I didn't bother with Superman. Green Lantern looked to be at least an hour wait, so I asked the girl at the entrance if the single rider line was open. She said I'd have to get on line to find out. So I said, "you don't know?" "I can't tell you," came back the response. I stopped by GS on the way out to let them know how unhelpful she was.

Ka appeared to be running most of the time I was there, but when I scoped the line, it looked to be an hour or more, so I passed.

I walked to the Nitro end of the park and rode five times, jumping into unocupied seats, as my breathing problems make it difficult to walk around and (especially) negotiate those stairs again. Overall I mostly felt okay. I didn't feel completely wiped out, but the short day and lack of extreme heat probably contributed to that. Two rides each on Batman and Skull Mountain finished my day. SM appears to have a new "tableaux" (at least, I didn't notice it before.) At the bottom of the first drop there's a full skeleton, illuminated in green, which also makes the track glow that color.

I hit the Coke stand with all the crazy flavors twice. I found Fanta cherry and fruit punch Zero sodas, and that's what I got. They also have Powerade Zero. So I expect to be hitting my $.99 refills at that location often.

SkyScreamer appears to be completed, with landscaping to be done. I thought it funny that the Season Passholder invite handed out at the parking booth refers to the 17th-20th SP preview as 'technical rehearsals." Jen was right about the bumper cars going in the big flat open area where the swings were. I asked an employee, but there is literally NO sign of construction there. There was a space next to SkyScreamer where I believed the Scrambler would go, but the Flying (non-Dumbo) Elephants are going there. Deja Vu (the Scrambler) is mostly assembled, and is in a spot adjacent to Granny's restaurant and the Studio 28 arcade near the Movietown entrance.

When Judy and I were there last August, we made extensive use of the three showers..an absolute oasis on a hot day. The one in Fantasy Forest had been removed at that time. I noticed today the one by the Flume entrance is now blocked off by steel cafe tables, although the apparatus is still there. I guess that could be temporary. I failed to notice if the third, near Toro's entrance, remains. I'll be quite PO'ed if they're non-existent for the summer season.

Thanks for reading.

Mike

* This post was modified at 5/6/12 8:20:48 PM *

Re: GAdv Quickie Today by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/6/12 8:22:19 PM
Great TR Mike. With 6 rides on Toro and 5 on Nitro, that makes for a great day. Everything else was a bonus. Another positive thing is that you got to spend some time with fellow URC' s. I keep reading how everyone is out there riding coasters, while I haven't ridden one since late August of last year. That's going to change next month,. I'm in the process of planning a big coaster trip. I plan on buying a Six Flags season pass at SF St Louis, so a Great Adventure trip will be possible at the end of summer.
Re: GAdv Quickie Today by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/6/12 8:29:55 PM
frontrow said:

Great TR Mike. With 6 rides on Toro and 5 on Nitro, that makes for a great day. Everything else was a bonus. Another positive thing is that you got to spend some time with fellow URC' s. I keep reading how everyone is out there riding coasters, while I haven't ridden one since late August of last year. That's going to change next month,. I'm in the process of planning a big coaster trip. I plan on buying a Six Flags season pass at SF St Louis, so a Great Adventure trip will be possible at the end of summer.

Be sure to let us know if and when. Be cool to meet ya.

Re: GAdv Quickie Today by alpengeistno3 at 5/6/12 8:52:02 PM
Great short TR, Mike. So, out of curiosity, are the bumper cars going to be covered? It sounds like they are completely outdoors. Then again, you say there has been no construction whatsoever, so I guess at this point they are.

Paul

Re: GAdv Quickie Today *NM* *NM* Photo by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 5/6/12 11:56:52 PM
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150311286548084.406977.616073083&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=10150391445498084&set=a.10150311286548084.406977.616073083&type=3&theater User Submitted Picture

* This post was modified at 5/6/12 11:58:07 PM *

Re: GAdv Quickie Today *NM* *NM* by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 5/6/12 11:58:48 PM
hmmmm ... thought I could post a picture of Mike, but may not have those skills yet!
Re: GAdv Quickie Today -- photo by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 5/7/12 12:00:09 AM
Aha! Click on the link and you'll get it. Very flattering photo, Mike!
Re: GAdv Quickie Today -- photo by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/7/12 5:24:24 AM
Judy_P_in_Pgh said:

Aha! Click on the link and you'll get it. Very flattering photo, Mike!

Yeah, right. :)

I've lost weight since that pic. Haven't gained any hair, though.

* This post was modified at 5/7/12 6:46:54 AM *

Re: GAdv Quickie Today by d-lo775 d-lo775 Profile at 5/7/12 10:07:23 AM
It was nice to finally meet you. I had a great time in our brief visit Sunday morning. Gary dropped me off around 1 a.m. this morning. I was completely exhausted by then. 1700 miles(by car) and 5 amusement parks while getting 15 total hours of sleep in 78 hours can do that to you I guess. I may find time to write about it someday, but until then you'll be able to check out Gary's 3 point challenge adventures from this weekend on YouTube. All you ever need to do is search perfect 3 point challenge or CincinnatiSniper.