Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Astroworld's Greezed Lightning Rides Again

Astroworld's Greezed Lightning Rides Again

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
5/4/12 at
12:12:17 PM

According to Amusement Today, the Schwarzkopf launched shuttle, which has been in storage since 2005, will be installed at Cliff's Amusement Park, in New Mexico. It's a happy day for all Schwarzkopf fans...

The historic 1978-built Schwarzkopf shuttle loop Greezed Lightnin’ is about to cross state lines for the first time in its history.

Joyland Park, Lubbock, Texas, acquired the ride when AstroWorld in Houston closed in 2005. The ride has been in storage in Lubbock ever since. A high water table under the family-owned park made the ride cost prohibitive to re-erect. When the park found no one interested in purchasing the ride, family-owned Cliff’s Amusement Park in Albuquerque, N.M. stepped up to help out a fellow park owner.

After realizing a coaster was not in their future, Joyland turned their focus on finding another water ride for their park.

Cliff’s had an SCS waterplay unit that could no longer keep up with the demand in their park, so the two starting talking. A handshake deal was done, and the two parks agreed to trade rides, with no money exchanging hands.

Cliff’s is currently underway on finishing the installation of a new larger waterplay unit from WhiteWater West. Greezed Lightnin’ is in their future, but a date for its re-launch has not been set.

Joyland has moved the SCS waterplay unit from Cliff’s to Texas and will begin construction as soon as their summer season ends.

Gary Hays of Cliff’s, told Amusement Today he plans to move Greezed Lightnin’ from Lubbock to Plainview in the coming months, where it will be stored at the Larson International factory. When the time comes to install the ride, it will then go through the Larson shop for minor rehab and will be given a new coat of paint. The ride’s flywheel launch and train have been stored indoors at Larson since leaving Houston.

For more on this story, see the Amusement Today May issue, page 2 editorial column.

On a side note, the 2008-built Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster from Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is being relocated to Six Flags Mexico. It is also currently in storage at Larson International.

Image from Amusement Today as well.

User Submitted Picture

Link

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Astroworld's Greezed Lightning Rides Again by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/4/12 1:21:15 PM
An actual trade! That's way cool. It's happened under different circumstances at the major chains. But I love the idea that two small parks got together, said "let's help each other out" and worked out a handshake deal. That's the part I really like.

But I thought Greezed Lightnin' was at Kentucky Kingdom. I didn't realize there was one at Astroworld too. Same type? I thought KK's was fun for what it was.

Mike

* This post was modified at 5/4/12 1:22:33 PM *

Re: Astroworld's Greezed Lightning Rides Again by drachen drachen Profile at 5/4/12 1:40:22 PM
beastmaster said:

An actual trade! That's way cool. It's happened under different circumstances at the major chains. But I love the idea that two small parks got together, said "let's help each other out" and worked out a handshake deal. That's the part I really like.


But I thought Greezed Lightnin' was at Kentucky Kingdom. there was one at Astroworld too? Same type?

Right. i think the whole trade thing is pretty cool. Can you imagine if large parks did that? "I'll trade you Millennium Force for I-305..."

Both Greezed Lightnin's are Schwarzkopf shuttle loopers. Now, I'm not sure if they are the same model. There was a cantilever launch model and a flywheel launch. I'd have to look it up.

Either way, I love when a coaster is saved, and I think the circumstances here are pretty cool too.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Astroworld's Greezed Lightning Rides Again by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/4/12 2:02:47 PM
This is great news. When I was a kid Kennywood had a coaster called The Laser Loop, which is a sister to Greezed Lighting. As a kid I loved that coaster, I rode it over 100 times. When The Steel Phantom was built, The Laser Loop was lost. When I visited Six Flags Astoworld in 2001, Greezed Lightning helped me relive my childhood. It was a really fun ride even though I was now an experienced enthusiast, who had ridden around 160 coasters at that time. Most likely I never visit Cliffs Amusement Park, but other people will get to enjoy this coaster. I hope the one in Kentucky is still there and it will open next year. These primitive shuttle coasters will not make anyone's top 10, but they are fun. Besides it's always good news when a coaster is saved.
Re: Astroworld's Greezed Lightning Rides Again by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/4/12 4:16:23 PM
Agreed - anytime a coaster by Anton S. can be ridden again, the amusement community is better for it. My first shuttle loop was in 1997 at PGA, and like a lot of people, I was able to spend a while riding as much as I wanted. Sadly that's gone, as is SFOG's Viper (which became the SFKK shuttle, actually), not to be confused with the Greased Lightning that went from Great America and is now still in storage? As you can see, getting one of these unpacked and rebuilt for riders is something to be happy about. And there's still nothing like getting flipped backwards through that forceful loop. Still gets me every time.
Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: Astroworld's Greezed Lightning Rides Again by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/4/12 9:29:50 PM
drachen said:

beastmaster said:

An actual trade! That's way cool. It's happened under different circumstances at the major chains. But I love the idea that two small parks got together, said "let's help each other out" and worked out a handshake deal. That's the part I really like.


But I thought Greezed Lightnin' was at Kentucky Kingdom. there was one at Astroworld too? Same type?

Right. i think the whole trade thing is pretty cool. Can you imagine if large parks did that? "I'll trade you Millennium Force for I-305..."

Both Greezed Lightnin's are Schwarzkopf shuttle loopers. Now, I'm not sure if they are the same model. There was a cantilever launch model and a flywheel launch. I'd have to look it up.

Either way, I love when a coaster is saved, and I think the circumstances here are pretty cool too.

OMG, that would be so awesome. I'd totally take the lap restraint over the otsr.

But I love creative solutions. Kudos to them for their trades. Everyone wins.

Re: Astroworld's Greezed Lightning Rides Again by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/5/12 4:48:27 PM
drachen said:

Right. i think the whole trade thing is pretty cool. Can you imagine if large parks did that? "I'll trade you Millennium Force for I-305..."

Am I the only one who would want MF over I-305? LOL!

Jen

Re: Astroworld's Greezed Lightning Rides Again by drachen drachen Profile at 5/5/12 6:13:57 PM
GoYanks34 said:

drachen said:


Right. i think the whole trade thing is pretty cool. Can you imagine if large parks did that? "I'll trade you Millennium Force for I-305..."

Am I the only one who would want MF over I-305? LOL!

Jen

No... I might do it too. Hard to say. I think I still prefer Millennium Force over Intimidator, but I haven't ridden MF since 2003.

I think the fact that MF has lap restraints puts it over the top for me.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur