Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening

Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
5/2/12 at
10:52:21 AM

Article from Cedar Point.com

Cedar Point has announced that it is expanding its new Celebration Plaza. As a part of that expansion, Cedar Point will be removing the WildCat roller coaster.

WildCat was coming to the end of its useful life. With the desired expansion to Celebration Plaza, coupled with the low ridership and increased maintenance costs, Cedar Point has decided to accelerate the removal of the ride. WildCat will be removed from the park prior to Opening Day and the materials will be sent to a recycling facility.

This expansion is one of several initiatives that will beautify the park midways and enhance guests’ experiences. Additional improvements include state-of-the-art lighting packages on Giant Wheel, Millennium Force and Power Tower, a new sound and lighting system along the park’s Main Midway and the re-painting of the Millennium Force and Blue Streak roller coasters.

Cedar Point remains committed to being the roller coaster capital of the world. New roller coasters, rides and attractions will always be a part of Cedar Point’s future.

I can't help but think that the rumored addition of two new roller coasters for 2013 may have some legs... They claim to be committed to remaining the roller coaster capital. Time will tell.

I liked Wildcat a lot. When was the last time Cedar Point removed a roller coaster?

Cedar Point: Wildcat Removal

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/2/12 11:01:45 AM
You beat me by five seconds!

You may be right, but Wildcat's footprint is way too small to fit one of the two rumored newbies. I'm not as familiar with CP as many here, and I forget what else is in the surrounding area that would be a candidate for removal.

I had no special felings for Wildcat..I usually skipped it because of the often longish, slow moving line..you know, the one that screams "low ridership." I do remember having a "discussion" with someone..can't remember who..over whether it was a mouse. Me:No. Her:Yes. Would have been pretty ironic for a MOUSE to be named WildCAT!

Almost always hate to see a coaster close, though...

Mike

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by drachen drachen Profile at 5/2/12 11:16:35 AM
I'm not saying that their rumored wing rider will go there, but they have to replace Wildcat with another family type coaster, don't they? Perhaps they add a wild mouse somewhere.

The rumored spot for the new coaster was just behind Raptor. I could see this new ride making its way over to Wildcat's current footprint. Afterall, they are talking about an expansion...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 5/2/12 11:51:46 AM
Wonderland's Tomb Raider, Timebomb, Volare, Shopping Cart, POS, whatever they call it now would be perfect for that location.

Regards,
Kevin "never a fan of Volare" Reid

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/2/12 11:55:54 AM
I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but I feel like Cedar Point will try and put a small coaster in Wildcat's place, like a Euro-Fighter that won't break the bank but can boast some kind of selling point. Like "vertical lift" or "steepest drop in Ohio". also with adding a small coaster it gives them the opportunity to make a medium size or lare size coaster somewhere else in the park, and they could be on their way to claiming the "Coaster Capital" of the world title again.

Wicked @ Lagoon - http://www.rcdb.com/3534.htm

Dare Devil Dive @ SFOG - http://www.rcdb.com/9430.htm

Rage @ Adventure Island - http://www.rcdb.com/3573.htm

ect...

SFMM did this and got the coaster crown again, they just did it with an even smaller type of coaster (4th dimension "spinner"). I just wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Point tried something similar.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/2/12 3:46:57 PM
mugen828 said:

I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but I feel like Cedar Point will try and put a small coaster in Wildcat's place, like a Euro-Fighter that won't break the bank but can boast some kind of selling point. Like "vertical lift" or "steepest drop in Ohio". also with adding a small coaster it gives them the opportunity to make a medium size or lare size coaster somewhere else in the park, and they could be on their way to claiming the "Coaster Capital" of the world title again.

Wicked @ Lagoon - http://www.rcdb.com/3534.htm

Dare Devil Dive @ SFOG - http://www.rcdb.com/9430.htm

Rage @ Adventure Island - http://www.rcdb.com/3573.htm

ect...

First, not picking on you, But you do realize these *Wicked's* Spinny Mice and fourth dimension spinny coasters cost as much as a full size wooden coaster the scale of say, VOYAGE?

Two The Article says the area will be used for the plaza and I doubt it ever gets used again for a ride. I think they also removed the additional Queue area for Iron Dragon, I think the lighting packages and beautification projects are a good thing, However, I have no desire to warch a lazer show that is virtually a 100 percent commercial for CP

SFMM did this and got the coaster crown again, they just did it with an even smaller type of coaster (4th dimension "spinner"). I just wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Point tried something similar.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/2/12 4:29:45 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

First, not picking on you, But you do realize these *Wicked's* Spinny Mice and fourth dimension spinny coasters cost as much as a full size wooden coaster the scale of say, VOYAGE?

Two The Article says the area will be used for the plaza and I doubt it ever gets used again for a ride. I think they also removed the additional Queue area for Iron Dragon, I think the lighting packages and beautification projects are a good thing, However, I have no desire to warch a lazer show that is virtually a 100 percent commercial for CP

Yeah, they did mention about the lights and all that, but they haven't built a new coaster in how long now? Since 2007?

I think they'd have the money for what I mentioned. (or I'd like to hope they do) and despite the voyage being the same price range (7-9 millions) as some woodies, it could be the footprint that impacts the decision. I think Wildcat takes the same amount of space as say, the green lantern at SFMM. I could completely wrong about that because I haven't seen either in person though.

- mugen828
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/2/12 6:15:02 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

However, I have no desire to warch a lazer show that is virtually a 100 percent commercial for CP

So you wouldn't watch the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks display at Disneyland either?

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by drachen drachen Profile at 5/2/12 6:33:14 PM
mugen828 said:

Yeah, they did mention about the lights and all that, but they haven't built a new coaster in how long now? Since 2007?

I think they'd have the money for what I mentioned. (or I'd like to hope they do) and despite the voyage being the same price range (7-9 millions) as some woodies, it could be the footprint that impacts the decision. I think Wildcat takes the same amount of space as say, the green lantern at SFMM. I could completely wrong about that because I haven't seen either in person though.

First thing you need to understand about Chuck, though I don't personally know him... He loves his wooden roller coasters. We have that in common.

He brings up a valid point. A mid-sized steel coaster costs more than a HUGE wooden coaster. He feels, as do I sometimes, that a park would be better served, and get more bang for the buck, by building a nice wooden coaster.

But you bring up a valid point too. Space is limited for a lot of these parks, and it's a lot easier to build a steel coaster around other attractions.

The other thing is that wooden coasters just aren't as marketable as a quirky mid-sized steel coaster, let along a monster one. Parks prefer to build things that bring people through the gates - not necessarily rides that will make their park better.

drachen
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/2/12 6:40:30 PM
There is one other major point about wooden coasters. They may be cheaper at the onset, but they are just as expensive or more so in the long run because of the ongoing maintenance costs.
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/2/12 7:24:22 PM
The instantly made me think of Hurricane getting ripped out at SCBB, with the difference being SCBB has explicitly said they will be replacing it with another ride, and CP saying they won't. Obviously one park has space issues and the other has a bit more flexibility. Still, I think we're going to see the few remaining rides in this genre go by the wayside. "Outlived its operational life" is a cold reality. Just a bit surprised it wasn't announced at the end of last season.

My personal memories of Wildcat are certainly positive. Schwarzkopf always did a nice job with these compact coasters (the ones I've come across anyway), and I enjoyed my few rides split between by two CP visits. I'm actually a little sad I won't get to ride it if I make a visit this year, but better things tend to await...eventually.

As far as the coaster wars, this definitely ramps up the anticipation for 2013, which is unfortunate seeing as we've just made it to May, 2012. :}

* This post was modified at 5/2/12 7:25:33 PM *

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by drachen drachen Profile at 5/2/12 7:50:56 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

There is one other major point about wooden coasters. They may be cheaper at the onset, but they are just as expensive or more so in the long run because of the ongoing maintenance costs.

There's a saying out there...

"You never stop building a wooden roller coaster."

drachen
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/2/12 8:10:37 PM
My family and I really liked Wildcat back in the nineties, but to be honest I haven't been able to ride it in recent years. As much as I am sad to see it go, it was slow loading and broke down a lot. I think the fact that they aren't even trying to sell it to a small park speaks for its physical condition.

As I understand, WC has been moved around several times (like the giant wheel) and I think the spot where it has been for the past decade or so doesn't really free up much space for anything larger than a flat ride. More likely they're trying to shoehorn something else in nearby.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/2/12 8:47:45 PM
My kids and I really liked Wildcat also. It wasn't a coaster we would wait more than 10 minutes for, but it was better than any wild mouse I've ridden. It was a small, fun unique coaster. These type of coasters seem to be disappearing. Our last visit to Cedar Point on Halloween of 2010 we rode it twice, if I knew its fate we would have ridden it a few more times.
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/3/12 6:59:37 AM
drachen said:

mugen828 said:

First thing you need to understand about Chuck, though I don't personally know him... He loves his wooden roller coasters. We have that in common.

He brings up a valid point. A mid-sized steel coaster costs more than a HUGE wooden coaster. He feels, as do I sometimes, that a park would be better served, and get more bang for the buck, by building a nice wooden coaster.

But you bring up a valid point too. Space is limited for a lot of these parks, and it's a lot easier to build a steel coaster around other attractions.

The other thing is that wooden coasters just aren't as marketable as a quirky mid-sized steel coaster, let along a monster one. Parks prefer to build things that bring people through the gates - not necessarily rides that will make their park better.

LOL, I didn't say any of that, I was just saying that what he called cheap coasters aren't cheap at all :)

CP is far from out of space and if you've ever been to a pier park or Indiana Beach, Footprint has little to do with the ability to put in anything they want to.

I really do think the newer gen wood coasters with the MF and Timberliner trains can draw and draw huge. Your basically saying El Toro isn't a draw? Id beg to say if it wasn't for the success of Thunderhead, The massive expansions of Dollywood wouldn't be possible or would be happening much slower than they have.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/3/12 7:06:30 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

So Thunderhead hasn't been re tracked in ten years, A whole re-tracking would probably be about 150-200 grand.

Lets not forget the steel coaster wheels which there are twice as many that they burn through about six a day at anywhere from 400 dollars for a Arrow Coaster to 1200 dollars for a Intamin Hyper EACH.

Yeah, A ten million dollar TGG or GCII would be about as expensive as 25 Million Millennium force in about 100 years. Including the mechanics that walk and replace pins ect each day.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/3/12 7:09:24 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

CoasterFanatic said:

However, I have no desire to warch a lazer show that is virtually a 100 percent commercial for CP

So you wouldn't watch the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks display at Disneyland either?

Is it a fireworks only cellebration of the end of the day? Yeah, id probably watch it like I do Kings Islands.

Is if CP logos and ride advertisments like Cedar fair does? or at least did last time I seen one. Then NO.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/3/12 7:40:58 AM
CoasterFanatic said:

Is if CP logos and ride advertisments like Cedar fair does? or at least did last time I seen one. Then NO.

It's been a while for me, but last one I saw was all about collegiate football,
which is probably the holy grail for CP's fan base but means nothing to me.

Anyway, I agree with what you said above about Thunderhead and Dollywood.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/3/12 7:58:42 AM
RobLec said:

CoasterFanatic said:

It's been a while for me, but last one I saw was all about collegiate football,
which is probably the holy grail for CP's fan base but means nothing to me.

Anyway, I agree with what you said above about Thunderhead and Dollywood.

Depends on the park really. CP has about five butter smooth steelies that only a new one is gonna match or beat.

Take Holiday World which basically the family put a second mortgage on the park to build Raven, It put the park on the map and allowed them to build the water park. Between those two things it was only five years before a coaster twice as big was built and another six before they built a huge one, Now they built 15 million dollar water coasters and intamin giant chutes. Heck, CP could learn a hell of a lesson from HW but they won't They gotta build the 25 million dollar ride just to retain its customer base. HW grows it and grows the park accordingly.

CF is building some major rides but they fell into the Six Flags predicament and obtained a huge amount of debt. Six Flags never did slow down its major investments and fell off the cliff. CF cut back on its majors but didn't stop and is. VERY SLOWLY paying it down.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/3/12 12:38:09 PM
Wow, didn't see that coming. I actually liked Wildcat, and that's coming from someone who HATES the overbanked, no hills, rough woodies. But I did have my resident CP expert Roz guide me through where to sit, when to hold on, when to brace, etc which probably made a HUGE difference. I hope the rumors are true for 2013 b/c that's when I plan on heading back there.

Jen

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/3/12 1:13:23 PM
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I'm gonna boycott CP if they don't consider keeping it! Just kidding, Wildcat was okay, but I can't say that I'm gonna go handcuff and chain myself to the supports to try to save it. Although I must say that it's concerning for CP to lose a family style coaster; Hopefully they will replace it with another smallish family coaster. How bout a Vekoma junior boomerang? Maybe that footprint will probably be too large, just a thought.

drachen said:

When was the last time Cedar Point removed a roller coaster?

Wildcat (the one that ultimately ended up at the now defunct Jolly Roger Amusement Park in MD) and Jumbo Jet were both removed in 78'.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/3/12 1:40:05 PM
If an entire re-tracking is only $150-$200k then why haven't they re-tracked GhostRider?

Chuck you're also not taking into account the daily man hours required to walk the track and the constant little repairs. There is also wheel wear on wooden coasters. Those wheels ride atop steel rails at similar speeds.

Personally, I don't want to see wood at Cedar Point. The park can't manage Mean Streak and Blue Streak is ho hum. Cedar Point is not Holiday World and I don't think from Cedar Point's perspective there is much to be learned from the family park in Indiana.

--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/3/12 3:27:16 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

If an entire re-tracking is only $150-$200k then why haven't they re-tracked GhostRider?

Chuck you're also not taking into account the daily man hours required to walk the track and the constant little repairs. There is also wheel wear on wooden coasters. Those wheels ride atop steel rails at similar speeds.

Personally, I don't want to see wood at Cedar Point. The park can't manage Mean Streak and Blue Streak is ho hum. Cedar Point is not Holiday World and I don't think from Cedar Point's perspective there is much to be learned from the family park in Indiana.

Maybe keeping people coming back? For the thrill seeking kid, CP may be heaven, For the bill paying crowd, It might be a must do ONCE attraction but then reality of 4 dollar drinks and 12 dollar parking sets in.

Paying a maintence man to walk and replace some pins and steel or wood is more expensive than a few 1200 dollar wheels a day? I went to CP once when they were taking a train off every hour to replace wheels on MF. Nevermind replacing a 200ft cable once a year and million dollar paint jobs every five years or so.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by drachen drachen Profile at 5/3/12 4:42:02 PM
I think when comparing the benefits of parks adding a steel versus wood, you have to throw Holiday World out. It's in its own league, in my opinion, with it's own style of repeat guest. They do what they do so well. Other parks really can't follow their lead and be successful. Different markets, different guests.

For example, a new wooden coaster is marketable in Santa Claus, because it's what they do. A new wooden coaster at Cedar Point, or any Cedar Fair or Six Flags park, won't draw people in. New water rides and steel coasters do.

But, I will put another feather in the wooden roller coaster cap...

They do require more maintenance. But, because of that, they can literally last forever. Some popular steel coasters have recently reached the end of their serviceable lives.

When a steel coaster becomes too expensive/difficult to maintain, it goes away. Inevitably, that will be the case of just about every steel coaster.

If the wooden coaster is properly maintained year to year, there is really no end to its serviceable life.

drachen
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/3/12 4:49:01 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Wow, didn't see that coming. I actually liked Wildcat, and that's coming from someone who HATES the overbanked, no hills, rough woodies. But I did have my resident CP expert Roz guide me through where to sit, when to hold on, when to brace, etc which probably made a HUGE difference. I hope the rumors are true for 2013 b/c that's when I plan on heading back there.

Jen

Oops! Well have I made a blunder - I was thinking Wildcat was Mean Streak in my head! I think Hershey's Wildcat (that I HATE) screwed up the picture in my head - I immediately pictured a wooden coaster. I have never even ridden the Wild Mouse coaster at CP in all the times I've been there, LOL!

Jen

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/3/12 4:55:24 PM
GoYanks34 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Oops! Well have I made a blunder - I was thinking Wildcat was Mean Streak in my head! I think Hershey's Wildcat (that I HATE) screwed up the picture in my head - I immediately pictured a wooden coaster. I have never even ridden the Wild Mouse coaster at CP in all the times I've been there, LOL!

Jen

That's alright Jen... you still had to know when to hold, when to brace, and when to lean in order to ride CP's Wildcat.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/3/12 5:07:48 PM
drachen said:

I think when comparing the benefits of parks adding a steel versus wood, you have to throw Holiday World out. It's in its own league, in my opinion, with it's own style of repeat guest. They do what they do so well. Other parks really can't follow their lead and be successful. Different markets, different guests.

I think this is an interesting discussion, and I think it's worth generalizing this point to its natural conclusion – what is good for one park isn’t necessarily good for another. There is a lot of evidence that smaller parks tend to benefit greater from the addition of a wooden coaster than larger parks do. The question becomes, why?

It’s perhaps a complex melding of the following:
• Any addition at a smaller park will have a disproportionally large impact on what it has to offer. The difference between adding coaster #15 to a large park, or adding coaster #4 to a small park is monumental. There is a sense of dimishing returns for large parks, and they often feel the need to offer something over-the-top. Over-the-top = steel.
• Most large parks already have wooden coasters, and since they can be under-maintained and older in style, the public has an unfortunate view of what a wooden coaster is, and the park perceives that as a lack of interest.
• Smaller parks have attention to detail attributed to them, and the attention a wooden coaster necessitates. I think there’s a bit of a fallacy in the notion that a bigger park has “too much on its place” maintenance-wise to worry about/handle a wooden coaster – but it’s not hard to find parks like Kennywood and Holiday World that do suggest being able to focus attention.

At the end of the day, there are no templates for what a park like Cedar Point can, or should do. What fills me with optimism is that we have recent examples of major coasters being added in complete disregard to the assumptions I’ve listed above. Hersheypark hasn't been small for some time, but it went from adding some additional wooden coasters to focusing on some impressive steel ones. Magic Mountain went the other way, after almost 20 years of arming their collection with steel, they nailed it with Terminator/Apocalypse.

And then there’s a park like Dollywood, zigging onto the scene with Thunderhead, and then zagging with an ambitious coaster like Wild Eagle. Well, ambitious for what we consider a small, traditional park, right?

* This post was modified at 5/3/12 5:13:06 PM *

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/3/12 5:09:49 PM
Yay, my first accidental double post!

* This post was modified at 5/3/12 5:10:55 PM *

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/3/12 5:18:24 PM
sarki7 said:

I think this is an interesting discussion, and I think it's worth generalizing this point to its natural conclusion – what is good for one park isn’t necessarily good for another. There is a lot of evidence that smaller parks tend to benefit greater from the addition of a wooden coaster than larger parks do. The question becomes, why?

It’s perhaps a complex melding of the following:
• Any addition at a smaller park will have a disproportionally large impact on what it has to offer. The difference between adding coaster #15 to a large park, or adding coaster #4 to a small park is monumental. There is a sense of dimishing returns for large parks, and they often feel the need to offer something over-the-top. Over-the-top = steel.
• Most large parks already have wooden coasters, and since they can be under-maintained and older in style, the public has an unfortunate view of what a wooden coaster is, and the park perceives that as a lack of interest.
• Smaller parks have attention to detail attributed to them, and the attention a wooden coaster necessitates. I think there’s a bit of a fallacy in the notion that a bigger park has “too much on its place” maintenance-wise to worry about/handle a wooden coaster – but it’s not hard to find parks like Kennywood and Holiday World that do suggest being able to focus attention may help.

I agree with much of what you have said but where do you put the pre-fab woodies? They are a completely different entity - they have the speed and smoothness of steel with the great look of wood. I think they would be a draw anywhere and a huge asset for CP.

Jen

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/3/12 5:24:35 PM
GoYanks34 said:

I agree with much of what you have said but where do you put the pre-fab woodies? They are a completely different entity - they have the speed and smoothness of steel with the great look of wood. I think they would be a draw anywhere and a huge asset for CP.

Jen

Quite possibly - and my double post was a failed attempt to edit my second bullet point to include that over-the-top = steel, generally. El Toro has opened the door to a whole to set of options. I think it more than hides the big step back modern wooden coasters took with Son of Beast, but I am still left wondering why we're not seeing more. It's been a decade since Colossus hit the scene, and as impressed as everyone was/is, we've seen barely a few more since then. Throw on top of that the choice of park like SFMM makes to go for Apocalypse, and it really seems to be anyone's guess.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/3/12 5:25:14 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Jen

I agree with sarki and you. But with Cedar Point and the footprint of Wildcat, I still feel like a th dimension spinner would be a possibility.

Regardless of what they build, even if it;s his light show they are mentioning and 1 coaster somewhere else, I am still thinking about waiting until next year to hit cedar point.

* This post was modified at 5/3/12 5:25:37 PM *

- mugen828
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/3/12 5:44:27 PM
Agreed, However, I will add that CP has to every 3-5 years add the 25 million dollar coaster just to maintain its attendance. Sure they get a bump build year but its not growing the park at all overall.

Lets not forget that the Raven/legend/voyage/waterpark senario has also led HW to pretty much announce at last years Holiwood Nights that Steel was in the near future and their growth has gone from under 100.000 to over a million since Raven was built. Parks like CP and KI have been 2-3 million pretty much since 1980

Im no expert of cost to maintain. But I do know that when Paramount rehabed Vortex, The choice between doing that or not was Removal. It was quite deteriorated and the rehab was 1.2 million.
The cost of the paint and crew to do that part alone was 800 thousand. It also had some new rails installed in places and extra bracing added in the track. New wheels on all the trains and some other upgrades. But like I said, i've seen em do it several times in one day, Replace wheels, Expecially when its 95 degrees and melting them ten times faster than normal wear.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/3/12 5:54:18 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Agreed, However, I will add that CP has to every 3-5 years add the 25 million dollar coaster just to maintain its attendance. Sure they get a bump build year but its not growing the park at all overall.

Lets not forget that the Raven/legend/voyage/waterpark senario has also led HW to pretty much announce at last years Holiwood Nights that Steel was in the near future and their growth has gone from under 100.000 to over a million since Raven was built. Parks like CP and KI have been 2-3 million pretty much since 1980

Am I being simplistic in suggesting that this goes back to my point about dimishing returns? A smaller park will benefit greatly from a timely addition, whereas the necessity to add just to maintain is felt by most of the mega-parks - SFMM, KD, SFGAm, SFGAdv, etc. I think these parks get to a point where they’ve hit the ceiling of what guests are interested in/able to do in a day. This is where parks need to go from parks to resorts if they want to break through and get to the next level of attendance. Adding hotels, retail/nightlife/entertainment, water parks, or additional gates is really the only way parks can make significant jumps in their numbers. (Yes, I realize CP is certainly a resort, but that impact on their numbers is effectively cancelled out by the fact that they are open for such a short time each year.)

Then again, it’s obviously not the goal of all parks (or even most, I’d argue) to become the next tourist vacation mecca. A lot of it is just about finding your niche and doing what you can to ensure your future success.

And I've gone off target here. Obviously CP won't be doing anything I've mentioned above in Wildcat's footprint. :}

* This post was modified at 5/3/12 5:59:18 PM *

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by NotSo NotSo Profile at 5/3/12 9:58:56 PM
Cedar Point has managed to keep Mean Streak rideable for 20+ years, you sure as heck can't say that about Holiday World and Voyage.

CP can learn from HW, that's funny.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 5/4/12 9:44:14 PM
Wildcat's location may not even be used for a coaster. That site was the original location for both the Bayern Kurve and Schwabinchen up to the point they moved Wildcat from by Space Spiral to make way for Avalanche Run/Disaster Transport. Now if CP wants to move some flats around to accomodate a much larger attraction elsewhere they could put them here.

The Turnpike/Cadillac Cars area behind Raptor has been rumored for awhile for something new. They could either scrap Calypso or move it to Wildcat's old location if they wanted to. The Turnpike/Cadillac Cars area would fit a decent Euro-fighter like Dare Devil Dive yet not take a ton of space a big $25 million coaster would.

G-Dog

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/4/12 11:40:50 PM
Cedar Point is a seasonal park that average annual attendance of about three million. Spending $25-million or even more on a major new attraction ever three to five years is not an issue.
--
Eric
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by KHTOExtreme at 5/5/12 6:24:17 AM
OK, here if anyone has read the article completely. It was fast tracked and chosen to be taken out now for the expansion of the area for the new show. Now reading forward in the article it did look like Wildcat time was limited. Now the chose to remove now considering they were just testing it last week, brings me to think that some type of serious mechanical or safety system failure. Remember don't always believe there talking point lines.

The End is Nigh

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 5/5/12 8:09:49 AM
NotSo said:

Cedar Point has managed to keep Mean Streak rideable for 20+ years, you sure as heck can't say that about Holiday World and Voyage.

CP Fanboy much?

Mean Streak is trimmed to DEATH and its still not rideable.

Cedar Fair simply does not manage wooden coasters correctly. Name one coaster at any Cedar Fair park that is a decent ride?

Oh, wait, you cant!

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/5/12 8:23:13 AM
Great_Ump said:

Name one coaster at any Cedar Fair park that is a decent ride?

Oh, wait, you cant!

Um, Renegade?

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by drachen drachen Profile at 5/5/12 10:00:22 AM
Great_Ump said:

Cedar Fair simply does not manage wooden coasters correctly. Name one coaster at any Cedar Fair park that is a decent ride?

Oh, wait, you cant!

Joe
Great_Ump

I agree with you to an extent. But I can think of a number of good Cedar Fair wooden coasters:

Ridden:
Ghost Rider
Rebel Yell
Grizzly
Thunderhawk
Timberwolf
Blue Streak
Shivering Timbers
Wolverine Wildcat

Yet to Ride, but People Seem to Like:
Renegade
Prowler
Beast
Racer
Thunder Road

* This post was modified at 5/5/12 12:42:36 PM *

drachen
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/5/12 11:20:14 AM
drachen said:

Great_Ump said:

Oh, wait, you cant!

Joe
Great_Ump

I agree with you to an extent. But I can think of a number of good Cedar Fair wooden coasters.

Ridden:
Ghost Rider
Rebel Yell
Grizzly
Thunderhawk
Timberwolf
Blue Streak

Renegade
Prowler
Beast
Racer
Thunder Road

For some reason..given your great knowledge of and experience with coasters..it surprises me that you haven't been on the Beast.

And..although I haven't rode it...based on what I've heard and read, I would add Shivering Timbers to that Cedar Fair list of good wood.

Mike, probably zipping down to GAdv tomorrow for a few hours and some coasters that end in "o"

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by drachen drachen Profile at 5/5/12 12:37:34 PM
beastmaster said:

For some reason..given your great knowledge of and experience with coasters..it surprises me that you haven't been on the Beast.

And..although I haven't rode it...based on what I've heard and read, I would add Shivering Timbers to that Cedar Fair list of good wood.

Holy Crap! How did I forget Shivering Timbers? Great ride, and it's brother Wolverine Wildcat is pretty good too. Edit forthcoming...

I don't know why I've never been to Kings Island. I've literally been to parks all over the country, yet that one park, relatively close to home, still escapes me. That may change this year, if not definitely next summer.

drachen
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/5/12 12:55:22 PM
beastmaster said:

drachen said:

Great_Ump said:

Oh, wait, you cant!

Joe
Great_Ump

I agree with you to an extent. But I can think of a number of good Cedar Fair wooden coasters.

Ridden:
Ghost Rider
Rebel Yell
Grizzly
Thunderhawk
Timberwolf
Blue Streak

Renegade
Prowler
Beast
Racer
Thunder Road

Mike, probably zipping down to GAdv tomorrow for a few hours and some coasters that end in "o"

Shivering Timbers is my #5 wooden coaster, but I haven't ridden it in 11 years. We are strongly considering stopping at Michigan's Adventure on our way home from our midwest trip next month. I want to see if it is still as good as it was.
The Beast is hit or miss. One year it's running smooth, the next year it's rough. There have been times when I rode The Beast 10 times in a day and loved every minute of it. There are also times where 1 ride is all that I want. It's a great layout, but very inconsistent.
Love The Grizzly. Never had a bad ride on it. For a medium size coaster it delivers in big way.
Rebel Yell, Racer, and Thunder Road all are decent. Rebel Yell is my favorite out the 3. TR was a little rough last time I rode it in 2010.
I was impressed with Wild Beast, but disappointed with Mind Buster.
Blue Streak is my favorite coaster at Cedar Point after the big 5. Plenty of air time and not too rough.
Prowler and Renegade are on my must do list. Last year I was 4 hours away from Valley Fair, but just didn't have the time. Still hopeful about getting to Worlds Of Fun this year, haven't been there since 2001; I did like Timber Wolf. Ghost Rider is one of the reasons that southern California is my dream trip.
All in all Cedar Fair does a fair job with their wooden coasters. There is room for improvement. It seems like smaller parks do a better job in maintaining their wooden coasters.
I do believe if Cedar Point would add an Intamin wooden coaster, it would draw a crowd and maintain a good ride for years to come. Gravity Group or GCI would also be excellent choices. I really doubt Cedar Point will add a wooden coaster, but if Cedar Point or any other park would add an Intamin woodie, I'd be there.

* This post was modified at 5/5/12 12:59:21 PM *

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by alpengeistno3 at 5/5/12 2:36:48 PM
beastmaster said:

Hmm, Runaway Train-o
Green Lantern-o
Dark Knight-o
Skull Mountain-o
Kinda Ka-o

Did I leave any out? :)

Paul

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/5/12 3:36:49 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

beastmaster said:

Hmm, Runaway Train-o
Green Lantern-o
Dark Knight-o
Skull Mountain-o
Kinda Ka-o

Paul

You got 'em covered, Paul. But these'll be my first rides since the VA ones ending in brrrr..you know, Dominator-brrr, Intimidator-brrr, Grizzly-brrr (hey, that one has a nice ring to it) etc.

Mike-brrr

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/5/12 4:43:38 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

beastmaster said:

Hmm, Runaway Train-o
Green Lantern-o
Dark Knight-o
Skull Mountain-o
Kinda Ka-o

Paul

LMAO - you took the words right out of my mouth! I was going to say Kingda Ka-O! LOL!

Mike -I wish I could join you tomorrow so bad but unfortunately that's the Sunday I have to work. Figures, I only work one Sunday every 8 weeks and you guys choose that one!

Jen

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by NotSo NotSo Profile at 5/6/12 7:56:42 AM

Oh, wait, you cant!

Joe
Great_Ump

They are as good as anyone else I think. Maybe you havent riden that many besides MS? What are you talking about?

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by kdleader kdleader Profile at 5/6/12 9:54:20 AM
drachen said:

I agree with you to an extent. But I can think of a number of good Cedar Fair wooden coasters:

Ridden:
Ghost Rider
Rebel Yell
Grizzly
Thunderhawk
Timberwolf
Blue Streak
Shivering Timbers
Wolverine Wildcat

Renegade
Prowler
Beast
Racer
Thunder Road

Thunderhawk has been improved. Last week Thunderhawk gave me the best ride I've ever had on it. New wood can be seen throughout the ride and it now gives a ride that is much smoother. My son had refused to ride the past few years due to it being a bit rough but after convincing him to get it on last weekend he was eager to ride it again.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/6/12 9:57:41 AM
NotSo said:

Oh, wait, you cant!
Joe
Great_Ump

They are as good as anyone else I think. Maybe you havent riden that many besides MS? What are you talking about?

I think where Joe lives the only CF woodies nearby would be KD's. I cannot speak for him, but if the only example I had to go by was what they have there I might have the same opinion.

Fortunately I have the Beast in my backyard, which is better maintained then Hurler. I think you're right that no large park maintains wood coasters well.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 5/6/12 12:29:14 PM
Got the official scoop at church this morning from a long time CP employee. Wildcat had not only been tested but inspected and certified. Ouimet came to inspect the show area in person and decided there was not nearly enough room, so that's why the ride was removed. There just wasn't enough time to carefully dis-assemble the ride for a sale, so they're sawing it in pieces.
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/6/12 12:34:08 PM
Great_Ump said:

NotSo said:

CP Fanboy much?

Oh, wait, you cant!

Joe
Great_Ump

Dropping the fan boy bomb again.

And I agree with whoever listed off those rides.

I have ridden Rebel Yell and Shivering Timbers and both are great rides. If you think Shivering Timbers is a bad ride then I don't even know what to say. That coaster is up there with Hades and El Toro imo.

- mugen828
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/6/12 12:41:37 PM
mugen828 said:

I have ridden Rebel Yell and Shivering Timbers and both are great rides.

I was more than impressed with Rebel Yell last year, especially considering its age. I was pleasantly surprised that a coaster I considered my favorite when I was 9 years old (1979) was still a great ride IMO.

Jen

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by NotSo NotSo Profile at 5/6/12 5:40:17 PM
Racer at Kings Island has become one of my favorites over the years. Just a great hilly out and back. I could ride it over and over. Really like it.
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 5/6/12 10:27:48 PM
I have ridden Rebel Yell and Shivering Timbers and both are great rides. If you think Shivering Timbers is a bad ride then I don't even know what to say. That coaster is up there with Hades and El Toro imo.

Shivering Timbers is maintained excellently and I would like to think it's maintained better than some woodies at the larger CF parks because it is the signature attraction at Michigan's Adventure.

I can't actually say whether it's maintained as well as others, but I've never had a bad ride on it. Just wanted to throw that idea out there. Perhaps that could be a reason for it receive more attention.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by drachen drachen Profile at 5/7/12 11:05:44 PM
BigShotRoz said:

Got the official scoop at church this morning from a long time CP employee. Wildcat had not only been tested but inspected and certified. Ouimet came to inspect the show area in person and decided there was not nearly enough room, so that's why the ride was removed. There just wasn't enough time to carefully dis-assemble the ride for a sale, so they're sawing it in pieces.

If true, that is actually some disturbing news...

New big shot says there's not enough room to watch our new, probably lame show. Let's tear down a roller coaster (our bread and butter) to make room.

Sorry, it just doesn't sit well with me. People come to Cedar Point BECAUSE OF the roller coasters. No one is coming to the park to watch the new light show.

off soap box

drachen
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by NotSo NotSo Profile at 5/7/12 11:41:14 PM
drachen said:

BigShotRoz said:

New big shot says there's not enough room to watch our new, probably lame show. Let's tear down a roller coaster (our bread and butter) to make room.

Sorry, it just doesn't sit well with me. People come to Cedar Point BECAUSE OF the roller coasters. No one is coming to the park to watch the new light show.

off soap box

I agree 100% There is a lot of great atmosphere, hotels, shows, etc at CP, but really what they are know for are all the rides. I hope this new guy knows what he is doing. (i do have to admit, i am getting pumped for opening day with fast lane!) So, maybe trading Wildcat (wonderfull ride, always wanted it my backyard, great ride) for Fast Lane is worth it. To be determined...

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by NotSo NotSo Profile at 5/7/12 11:46:34 PM
If i may be blunt for a moment, to the guy saying CP can learn from HW, no way. Holiday World is a dump, get over it. Go to Waldameer if you really want a nice small park.
Cedar Point is tried and true, Holiday World is spiking but they will fade after people actually go there and are dissapointed. Most over rated park ever- Holiday World. By far.
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/8/12 8:24:59 AM
drachen said:

BigShotRoz said:

off soap box

Of all the coasters they have, Nobody goes to CP for Wildcat. The fact that its stated "End of its lifespan" Is not a mis-claim or excuse. Yeah, They may have been able to keep it going a year or two more but fact is, The parts are very very hard to come by anymore and simular Anton rides have been long gone and the few that remain are on the block.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/8/12 8:29:19 AM
NotSo said:

If i may be blunt for a moment, to the guy saying CP can learn from HW, no way. Holiday World is a dump, get over it. Go to Waldameer if you really want a nice small park.
Cedar Point is tried and true, Holiday World is spiking but they will fade after people actually go there and are dissapointed. Most over rated park ever- Holiday World. By far.

Dude, Ive been to Waldameer, Its a nice park. Better IMHO than CP and so is HW.

Hows that for a heckle? Oh yeah and I live 2 hours from CP and I've been to every other park within 700 miles more in the last ten years than CP.

I can name a dozen parks that are better, Doesn't necessarily mean they have better or more coasters.

Call someone else out, Im not changing for you.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 5/8/12 10:43:24 AM
CoasterFanatic said:

Dude, Ive been to Waldameer, Its a nice park. Better IMHO than CP and so is HW.

Hows that for a heckle? Oh yeah and I live 2 hours from CP and I've been to every other park within 700 miles more in the last ten years than CP.

I can name a dozen parks that are better, Doesn't necessarily mean they have better or more coasters.

Call someone else out, Im not changing for you.

It's pointless to try, Chuck. He has a personal vendetta against HW. Nothing will sway him. He'll take any opportunity to bash HW, regardless of how pertinent it is to the conversation. CP fanboy, HW anti-fanboy...bad combination.

Anyhoo, it is a shame CP had to lose Wildcat, but I understand why it had to be done. It was reaching the end of its life. To be honest, this is a good thing even if you don't want to watch CP's new night show. Expanding the area will allow for more room for people who prefer not to watch to pass it by on the way out of the park.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/8/12 10:51:17 AM
BigShotRoz said:

There just wasn't enough time to carefully dis-assemble the ride for a sale, so they're sawing it in pieces.

I call bull s**t. Wildcat is a portable coaster. You don't saw it apart to take it down. By design the roller coaster can be disassembled in a matter of days and stacked onto trailers to move to a new site. However, they may very well scrap it, but you don't need saws to take it down quickly.

--
Eric
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/8/12 1:14:44 PM
Rollercoaster_freak220 said:
To be honest, this is a good thing even if you don't want to watch CP's new night show. Expanding the area will allow for more room for people who prefer not to watch to pass it by on the way out of the park.

Or pass by those waiting for the show to get in a few more rides on MF.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by drachen drachen Profile at 5/8/12 1:58:32 PM
I think what we see here is a simple difference of opinion.

I don't know Coaster Fanatic personally, but from reading what he has to say in this forum, I know that he is a BIG wooden coaster fan, and loves parks like Holiday World, Mount Olympus, Knoebels, etc for having several of them, and taking pride in maintaining them. He's made it clear over the years that Cedar Point is not his favorite place to go.

Notso doesn't post as frequently, and I don't know him/her either. But it seems to me that he is a big Cedar Point fan. However, obviously, Notso is not a big Holiday World fan, for whatever the reason. Nothing wrong with that either.

I will differ from both of them. I prefer wooden coasters to steel coasters, like Chuck, but I also happen to absolutely love Cedar Point.

Even though I'm a big Cedar Point fan, like Notso, I also think Holiday World is a phenomenal amusement park, worthy of all of the notoriety it gets.

drachen
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/8/12 3:08:12 PM
drachen said:

I will differ from both of them. I prefer wooden coasters to steel coasters, like Chuck, but I also happen to absolutely love Cedar Point.

Athough Cedar Point is a 10 hour drive for me, it's my favorite park. And it's been duly noted on here many times that my tastes run toward wood much more than steel. So you, Drachen, may differ from the gentlemen above, but you and I have this in common.

And FWIW, I've only been to HW once, and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/8/12 6:46:17 PM
drachen said:

I think what we see here is a simple difference of opinion.

I don't know Coaster Fanatic personally, but from reading what he has to say in this forum, I know that he is a BIG wooden coaster fan, and loves parks like Holiday World, Mount Olympus, Knoebels, etc for having several of them, and taking pride in maintaining them. He's made it clear over the years that Cedar Point is not his favorite place to go.

Notso doesn't post as frequently, and I don't know him/her either. But it seems to me that he is a big Cedar Point fan. However, obviously, Notso is not a big Holiday World fan, for whatever the reason. Nothing wrong with that either.

Even though I'm a big Cedar Point fan, like Notso, I also think Holiday World is a phenomenal amusement park, worthy of all of the notoriety it gets.

Everyone is entitled to their view, Great thing isn't it?

I've been to CP a dozen or so times. Im not bashing it. I think what I like about many other parks is that they don't have what I don't like about CP.

1. Im not posting this to continue a vendetta but my last visit, I got there early, Was first in line at the ticket booth and gave the cashier a $100 bill. She proceeds to tell the girl selling on the other side of the booth, "This MF gave me a hundred". All i got from guest relations was a we'll look into it answer. WOW. Later that day I was physically grabbed by a employee getting in MF line for having a small umbrella in my back pocket. A simple "SIR" would have sufficed. Never at any other park have I been treated like that. EVER!

2. 12.00 parking, 3.00 or 4.00 dollar drinks. 13.50 rolls of film 20.00 dollar t-shirts that advertise their park on your body. LMAO, Might not make a difference to a kid spending someone else's money but sure takes huge chunks out of my paycheck. Sure you plan for eating at the park ect. When its much more than you would expect. It's a deterrent.

I go to parks like Kennywood, Holiday world ect and pay my admission. 5-10 bucks in food and a couple 2 dollar drinks and buy a t shirt without even thinking twice. I generally get a good fun day feeling and WANT TO COME BACK vs. Those were some incredible rides at CP but unlike the other parks I'll be back in 5-10 years.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/8/12 8:16:35 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

I've been to CP a dozen or so times. Im not bashing it. I think what I like about many other parks is that they don't have what I don't like about CP.

1. Im not posting this to continue a vendetta but my last visit, I got there early, Was first in line at the ticket booth and gave the cashier a $100 bill. She proceeds to tell the girl selling on the other side of the booth, "This MF gave me a hundred". All i got from guest relations was a we'll look into it answer. WOW. Later that day I was physically grabbed by a employee getting in MF line for having a small umbrella in my back pocket. A simple "SIR" would have sufficed. Never at any other park have I been treated like that. EVER!

2. 12.00 parking, 3.00 or 4.00 dollar drinks. 13.50 rolls of film 20.00 dollar t-shirts that advertise their park on your body. LMAO, Might not make a difference to a kid spending someone else's money but sure takes huge chunks out of my paycheck. Sure you plan for eating at the park ect. When its much more than you would expect. It's a deterrent.

I go to parks like Kennywood, Holiday world ect and pay my admission. 5-10 bucks in food and a couple 2 dollar drinks and buy a t shirt without even thinking twice. I generally get a good fun day feeling and WANT TO COME BACK vs. Those were some incredible rides at CP but unlike the other parks I'll be back in 5-10 years.

I remember that TR! LOL! It's like what happened to me at Dorney (yep - still dead to me!). When you have a lot of things go wrong and irritate the hell out of you on your one day there it will forever taint your view of a particular park, no matter what great things anyone else has to say about it. It's funny b/c I've had horrible days at SFGadv too (none as bad as Dorney, naturally) but I've had so many more awesome days since I have gone since I was a baby/child with my family and as a teenager and adult with my friends that the bad feelings don't last very long and don't really get to me as much. Probably because I know I'll be back and have a good day soon enough. When bad things happen at a park you don't frequent or had to travel long distances to there is no "make up" and those bad feelings linger and get worse as time goes on IMO.

Jen

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/8/12 10:41:09 PM
Around five years between visits is about right for large parks, other than one's home park. A couple of times we've returned to CP or WDW after just a two year lapse, but in most cases KD, BGW/BGT, USF it's about five years between visits.
Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by NotSo NotSo Profile at 5/8/12 10:43:57 PM
Geez Chuck, get over it. Your reasons for not liking CP are silly.
I'll call a truce tho, peace.

HW is the best!! :)

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/9/12 7:40:47 AM
GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

I remember that TR! LOL! It's like what happened to me at Dorney (yep - still dead to me!). When you have a lot of things go wrong and irritate the hell out of you on your one day there it will forever taint your view of a particular park, no matter what great things anyone else has to say about it. It's funny b/c I've had horrible days at SFGadv too (none as bad as Dorney, naturally) but I've had so many more awesome days since I have gone since I was a baby/child with my family and as a teenager and adult with my friends that the bad feelings don't last very long and don't really get to me as much. Probably because I know I'll be back and have a good day soon enough. When bad things happen at a park you don't frequent or had to travel long distances to there is no "make up" and those bad feelings linger and get worse as time goes on IMO.

Jen

Ive actually visted Dorney 3 times '95 '01 '08. I loved the park the first time I visited. It was traditional with a couple big rides thrown in. In '01 I go to find a brand new talon and a gutted park. '08 was better but the lower part of the park was still yearning for attention.

I never got into the two day visit with light showers with my Ex Fiance where only one coaster ran most of the weekend. We salvaged the weekend, But not at Cedar Point! LOL.

I'll go back eventually, I don't hate the park. In fact Jen, My '01 visit to SFGADV was very disappointing. The rides were good and OK but half the rides were closed and the atmosphere was more Gangy than family friendly. '08 was a pleasant surprise 100 percent turn around.

Re: Cedar Point to Remove Wildcat Prior to Park Opening by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 5/10/12 3:15:30 AM
Great_Ump (GR8_Ump), stirring the pot on URC since 1997.

LOL

God I'm getting old!

Joe
Great_Ump