Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 4/29 SFGAdv TR, photos! woo!

4/29 SFGAdv TR, photos! woo!

mugen828 mugen828 Profile

Posted:
5/1/12 at
5:38:11 PM

Hey all,

So I hit the park up Sunday with my usual wingman Jeremy , my girlfriend Evelina, and our two other friends Mike and Emily who haven't been to the park in maybe a season or two.

Photo by Evelina

Photo by Evelina

Mike (left), Jeremy (Right)

We used two coupons to get our friends Mike and Emily in for $16.99,and planned on getting flash passes as Gym Class Heroes (big pop/rap
group) was going to be performing at the park that day. Plus it was a Sunday and it usually get's quite packed on Sundays.

We headed into the park and awaited the ol' ribbon drop. We got on the first ride of Nito for the day, I rode front with Mike who hasn't been to the park in some time, the 3 others rode the back. then to my delight, the Nitro crew did their usual announcement "if your row is empty you may re-ride, if your row is full you may find another seat and re-ride, if not please exit the station."

So! with that said, I got 4 Nitro rides bright and early. We ween't in a rush that day, Mike, Emily, and Jeremy were going to stay all day, me and Evelina were leaving a 4:30 to go see a show in Philly later on.

After Nitro we hit up Batman for a nice ride! No wait as it was still very early. Really liking B&M inverts as of late. It's a shame batman is so short, but that ride is growing on me. Evelina didn't ride and she caught some amazing pics of it! She even got us while on the first drop! You can't see us haha, but we are in the back row on the second picture.

Photo by Evelina

Photo by Evelina

So after Nitro (4 times) and Batman (once) we headed over to Kingda Ka! I didn't get to ride the Kinga the last visit so I was pumped for
a nice ride, plus the weather was absolutely gorgeous. It was in the high 50's and might have topped out at 70 later.

Now as you all know, riding with first time riders is THE BEST. My friend Emily already conquered Nitro for her first time ever, and next up was the King! She was pretty freaked out...maybe border line crying a bit...but she got on and loved it!

My girl friend sat this one out, as she thinks it's the most terrifying thing in the world haha, but hey, I've been there, so I get it. But throughout the day you can see, she took some amazing photos. She did ride Nitro 3 times
and El Toro so, gotta give her some cred.

Photo and edit by Evelina

Kingda Ka, in it's ever so annoying fashion, broke down before we got on. So now I just accept it. When I enter the line I am aware it WILL break down before I get on it, so I just wait patiently for that 30 seconds blast into the sky. The line wasn't long (no zig zags, but past the DJ booth a smidge) and it still took 30 plus minutes bc of the breakdown. After the break down we were given the go ahead to go up the ramp to the station and the train launched, as it did I turn around to see what I have been hoping to experience since 2005...a roll back...with people on it!! Ugh, to say the least I was bummed! I wished that was us! They surprisingly brought the car back on the opposite side, then brought it back out and launched it no problem. The train that didn't make it was full of teenagers, so my suspicion was it was to light to clear the top, but that wouldn't make sense since they made it over the second launch just fine. So I guess it was some other factor.

After Kingda Ka we cut through the animal exhibit and saw the 9 month old lion cubs, the pigs, turkey's, ect which was relaxing as always. It always bugs me though why they have blocked off the path that used to be just left to where you enter the animal exhibit part...but alas, it's six flags.

As we were exiting the Golden Kingdom shop (I forget the name of it), I saw a bunch of magnets for each coaster of the park. I thought I would mention them bc I love magnets, and I collect them for my mini fridge in my room. They surprisingly had one's for Nitro and Skull Mountain, and of course Kingda Ka. Maybe not worth $7, but they were all very good quality. Definitely going to pick the Nitro one up later on. A funny side note about the Nitro one is that it looks like what the sign on the station SHOULD look like haha. You know, like....not old and rusted! haha. That will forever be discussed between me and my friend Jeremmy. If someone can find or has a picture of Nitro's sign NOT rusted I will die a happy man to know my buddy once had a clean and pristine sign. PAINT IT ALREADY! or replace the damn thing. We always joke that instead of the "grey box" they should have made a new sign for Nitro instead for the same amount of money lol.

Anyways, onward with the day. Next on the agenda was El Toro, Evelina's favorite, and for good reason! It was awesome as usual, not a bad wait (first zig zag set) and we got on in roughly 40 minutes.

Photo and edit by me

Photo and edit by me

Next, we ate some lunch at the place that used to be a deli in the middle of the park. It's on the other side of cold stone, and imo was great! I'd never eaten there when it was the deli, but now it's gonnabe my go to spot. I got Teriyaki tossed chicken fingers with fries and my girlfriend got Nacho's with meat, cheese, and all that good stuff. About $20 for both meals and the refill which I can deal with. Both meals were nicely sized. We usually go out to KFC and chow down but my girlfriend is gluten intolerant so he nacho's are a great alternative for her.

Photo by me

Next, we went to Green Lantern. The line was a bit long, but Emily and Mike haven't been on it so we figured ah what the hell. We waited about 30 minutes and it was a good ride. Love the drop and the loop and the final dip on the ride. We saw the line for superman while up top on GL and it was too long to mess with. Emily, Mike, and Jeremy ended up hitting superman after we left so no harm done.

Me and Evelina took a few minutes for ourselves and rode the parachute drop which was fun! I wish they did two circuits tough. The ride is like 30 seconds long, if that! I have seen the que get pretty long on that thing but hey, lengthen the time up there or something Six Flags! What do I know though, I just ride the rides.

After that we got tickets for some go karts! Since we intended to buy flash passes that day, and we ultimately decided not to, I figured why not spend some cash on some other fun things. Me and Jeremy love racing on the go karts and we used a buy one get on free for Emily and Mike. I wanted evelina to take a pic or two on the go karts and she did, just got a warning by one of the employees on the ride, no bigs, we put it away after we snapped a shot or two. You can see me going all "need for speed" right here!

Photo by Evelina

Next thing we decided to do was ride Bizarro, which was a good time. No sound in the speakers and now that I think about it, I haven't gotten sound all year. A total waste of money and a six flags cop out to re-theme a coaster that didn't need to be touched. We waited about 20 minutes maybe for Bizarro.

Photo by Evelina

After that we wanted to get on the log flume with at least 4 of us for some splashin' fun, but the line was ridiculousssssss. At least for the ride it was. The park at this point was pretty packed, the concert was starting and such, so we decided to just play a water gun game battle royal style instead! We played twice, I lost both times but Mike won once for his gf Emily which was cool! Me and Jeremy have been to the park countless times and we never have a problem spending money in the park. I understand folks sentiment to being a bit indifferent to buying food or playing games in the park but look, it's a place to have fun, so live a little! We usually stop in the arcade by the tea cups, Jeremy loves the stacker game they have and he's really good at it too.

After the water gun game we decided it was time to go as it was around 4ish. We bid farewell to my friends and headed out not exhausted for once! My friends had a terrible time getting out of the parking lot but bc of an accident by the wawa, but they got ice cream and also got to ride Superman, the log flume, and Nitro one more time to end it. Dusk rides on Nitro rule!

Such an awesome day, glad we went! 3rd visit this year is in the books! Thanks for reading if you got this far, I usually don't make it to the end and scrap my TR's, glad I made it through this one!

Later everyone!

Here is a mash up of our photo's: edit done by Evelina using the Frametastic app. It's free, I highly recommend it for iphone users. You can add/edit multiple photos to one image and adjust border thickness.

All the photos here are were taken with an iphone4s (8 megapixels) with a fisheye lens. Just found out about lenses for iphones, if you want one go check out newegg for some very cheap lenses. We bought two at $15 a piece, I highly recommend them!

Hungry for more photo's? check out: my photo blog or flickr.

http://adventuresonmyiphone.tumblr.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneofthefew/

* This post was modified at 5/4/12 11:01:04 AM *

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: 4/29 SFGAdv TR, photos! woo! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/1/12 8:59:13 PM
Great TR. I love that unique stye of photography. I sent you a photo of Nitro through the email address you have on your profile. Let me know if you get it. I said it before and I'll say it again, you guys are so lucky to have such a great park that close to you. It's good that you get to share your passion for coasters with the people who are the closest to you. It really makes for great memories that will last a life time. Whenever I get back to Great Adventure, I'll let you know.
Re: 4/29 SFGAdv TR, photos! woo! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/2/12 11:16:39 AM
frontrow said:

Great TR. I love that unique stye of photography. I sent you a photo of Nitro through the email address you have on your profile. Let me know if you get it. I said it before and I'll say it again, you guys are so lucky to have such a great park that close to you. It's good that you get to share your passion for coasters with the people who are the closest to you. It really makes for great memories that will last a life time. Whenever I get back to Great Adventure, I'll let you know.

Thanks for sending that pic frontrow! You definitely made my day!

Here it is for all to see:

Look how shiny it is!! It's a shame they just let it rust now...it grinds my gears every opening day seeing it in it's current shoddy state.

- mugen828
Re: 4/29 SFGAdv TR, photos! woo! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/3/12 12:45:19 PM
Awesome TR! I can't believe you saw a rollback! So close and yet so far....

And they better get the kinks worked out of KK - it's been a few weeks and he's still breaking down on a regular basis? I'll have to have a talk with him next time I go! LOL!

Glad you had a great time!

Jen

Re: 4/29 SFGAdv TR, photos! woo! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/3/12 1:14:19 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Awesome TR! I can't believe you saw a rollback! So close and yet so far....

And they better get the kinks worked out of KK - it's been a few weeks and he's still breaking down on a regular basis? I'll have to have a talk with him next time I go! LOL!

Glad you had a great time!

Jen

Just talk? :)

Re: 4/29 SFGAdv TR, photos! woo! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/3/12 1:19:47 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Just talk? :)

LMAO! Well, with the way he has been operating I don't think he'd be up for anything else - I don't want to be the one responsible for a season ending injury! 8~)

Jen

Re: 4/29 SFGAdv TR, photos! woo! by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/3/12 1:30:34 PM
Awesome photo TR! Hey Mugen, I don't know crap about intricate photography; How did you do them 'crystal ball' lens feature thingies? It look so professional, not to mention very cool. :)

* This post was modified at 5/3/12 1:31:33 PM *

Re: 4/29 SFGAdv TR, photos! woo! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/3/12 2:13:59 PM
Overbanked said:

Awesome photo TR! Hey Mugen, I don't know crap about intricate photography; How did you do them 'crystal ball' lens feature thingies? It look so professional, not to mention very cool. :)

Thanks Jen and hanks overbanked!

I use an iphone4s for all my photos, but now I have a fisheye lens, which is a lens that is bent, which gives the crystal ball like effect.

Regular DSLR camera are like $500 for just he camera! + if you wan a Fisheye lens they are just as much as he camera itself. My girlfriend is a photographer and heard about the lenses for the iphone!

They stick to the front like a magnet. I bought this one:

Here is a link to get it if you are interested. It's just a super cheap alternative to the "ral" deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008A7599

- mugen828
Re: 4/29 SFGAdv TR, photos! woo! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/3/12 8:30:31 PM
Great tr and pics!
That is so awesome about that lens attachment for the iphone, very cool! I saw a guy use an attachment on his iphone for the enterprise 'shuttle' flyover last week.