Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Phoenix retracking

Phoenix retracking

rocketmover

Posted:
4/30/12 at
11:38:01 AM

Took my traditional first ride of the season on the now-venerable Phoenix at KG. Leonard Adams re-tracked the first drop and rebuilt the "top of the hill" support mechanism, which had been transported in one piece from San Antonio in 1985. The re-tracking consisted of removing ALL layers of track for the first time since the ride was moved. I am happy to say that the noticeable "bump" near the bottom of the first drop is now gone. Rest assured that the rest of the ride still delivers as always, but the first drop, which has always been a bit marred by the "bump," is now smooth as a baby's behind. The 27-year "bump" was due to the slight misplacement of a ledger during construction that was long ago corrected, but the track layers had "molded" to the "bump" by that point. Now, happily, just history. A good portion of the helix on Twister was also retracked, but didn't ride this trip, saving it for next time.

Re: Phoenix retracking by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/30/12 12:18:38 PM
Thanks for the update. Hoping to make it to Elysburg this summer. I'm one of those few-and-far-between riders who prefers Twister, so I'm glad it got some love.

Mike

Re: Phoenix retracking by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/1/12 9:50:06 AM
I've never noticed the bump, but that is good news. Phoenix is an amazing roller coaster.
--
Eric
Ultimate Rollercoaster Moderator
Re: Phoenix retracking by drachen drachen Profile at 5/1/12 4:16:44 PM
So you're saying that my favorite wooden roller coaster has gotten better? I guess I'm heading to Knoebel's very soon...
drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Phoenix retracking by rocketmover at 5/2/12 3:08:36 PM
Well, "better" is subjective - if you belong to the "American Bump Enthusiasts" or the "Coaster Bumpies" or whatever you might be really bummed (or bumped, as the case may be) - otherwise, yeah, it's "better" IMHO
Re: Phoenix retracking by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/3/12 1:17:25 PM
rocketmover said:

Well, "better" is subjective - if you belong to the "American Bump Enthusiasts" or the "Coaster Bumpies" or whatever you might be really bummed (or bumped, as the case may be) - otherwise, yeah, it's "better" IMHO

Yep, the bump enthusiasts ("bumpies"?) I know do get their groove on at Knoebel's, but not on Phoenix.

On the bumper cars, aka Skooters.
To us, there are simply none better. None.

The one bad thing about riding the Skooters is that while doing so you are not riding Phoenix!

* This post was modified at 5/3/12 1:20:32 PM *

Mike B.