Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions

My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions

Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile

Posted:
4/27/12 at
5:52:22 PM

I planned on making my first GA visit since NITRO opened in 2001 on Friday May 25th. Figured the park would be up and running normal by then and the early season kinks worked out.

We are visiting the family on Long Island(coming from Florida the day before) and have a 2.5 hour drive to get to the park, so hopefully I can minimize my "hassle".

1 - online ticket price of $42 seems reasonable, got no problem with that. Can I get even more off with a Coke can? (would have to get a family member to keep an eye out for me as I don't live in the area)

2 - should I reserve a GOLD FLASH PASS beforehand to make sure I get one? Does that streamline the process (getting it online) & would it even be needed for this date? The 2 main rides I want to get on are EL TORO & KK a bunch of times each.

3 - does it make more sense to judge if I need the pass once I get to the park? I figured that would waste time backtracking to go get one, assuming they didn't sell out (if that ever happens).

4 - this past September I went to Cedar Point and I fit on Maverick perfectly fine. So would I be okay on KK? I assumed it was the same exact restraint.

What about El Toro? On TTD & MF those belts got super short (while I got larger) and a few times I didn't fit, but most of the time the ops would just get the seatbelt to click. I plan to be a bit smaller by the time I'm at GA (but not by much. I'm 6'2" 280).

5 - Park opens at 10:30am that day. What time should I get there, as I assume it's a mad rush for both those rides once they open (but I can just see GA not having them up and running until hours later. LOL)

* This post was modified at 4/27/12 5:53:52 PM *

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/27/12 6:11:57 PM
Kevin_Page said:

1 - online ticket price of $42 seems reasonable, got no problem with that. Can I get even more off with a Coke can? (would have to get a family member to keep an eye out for me as I don't live in the area)

You will be able to get a buy one get one free coupon. Not sure if they're on the Coke cans yet but if you stop at the Mc Donalds just before the park you can pick up coupons there. It will be on your right just after you get off the 195 exit.

2 - should I reserve a GOLD FLASH PASS beforehand to make sure I get one? Does that streamline the process (getting it online) & would it even be needed for this date? The 2 main rides I want to get on are EL TORO & KK a bunch of times each.

You won't have any problems getting a Flash Pass that day - it's early in the season and not a weekend. It doesn't really speed up the process to get it online, all it does is save you the time when they swipe your credit card. You may want to start with a regular FP and see how the lines are. If the waits are too long for you you can always upgrade to a gold.

3 - does it make more sense to judge if I need the pass once I get to the park? I figured that would waste time backtracking to go get one, assuming they didn't sell out (if that ever happens).

I have never seen them sell out - they have a lot of them. I would get the regular then wait and see if you need the gold.

4 - this past September I went to Cedar Point and I fit on Maverick perfectly fine. So would I be okay on KK? I assumed it was the same exact restraint.

What about El Toro? On TTD & MF those belts got super short (while I got larger) and a few times I didn't fit, but most of the time the ops would just get the seatbelt to click. I plan to be a bit smaller by the time I'm at GA (but not by much. I'm 6'2" 280).

A 400 lb person can fit on KK - LOL! LOTS of room. The problem people have is with El Toro. If you have a big belly have whoever you are with slam the restraint down for you (and I mean SLAM). Last time we went the new ride ops were horrible about stapling people in and making people that were not very overweight get off the ride. The restraint bar must be down to a certain point before the train can dispatch. Remember to pee before you go on or your bladder may be expressed :~)

5 - Park opens at 10:30am that day. What time should I get there, as I assume it's a mad rush for both those rides once they open (but I can just see GA not having them up and running until hours later. LOL)

The gates open at 10 am so I'd get to the park a few minutes prior. KK sometimes isn't up and running with opening so I'd head to ET first and work your way back but don't forget Medusa (Bizarro) in the back - she's a must ride!

Have Fun!!
Jen

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/27/12 7:42:16 PM
Jen covered pretty much everything, but I would add:

At opening, people don't really head for Toro..unless they're me :)

Kingda Ka's the record breaker, Green Lantern is the "new kid on the block" and Superman:Ultimate Flight gets long and stays long due to slow dispatches/operations/loading. Those three rides are a stone's throw from one another. If you get the FP early, work on those rides first..Toro's line rarely gets unmanageable as long as they run two trains.

Mike

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/27/12 8:28:20 PM
First of all check the WaWa gas station right outside the park. In 2009 we bought our tickets there for $29.99. I'm a big guy also and rode El Toro last year. The seat belts are not the issue, like Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster. The problem on El Toro is the lap bar. Here is how I fit. First I sat in the front car of each 3 row section. You have more room to stretch your legs. Then literally lift your stomach and pull the lap bar onto your legs and let your stomach hang over the lap bar. With this I got the green light on every ride. My last ride I rode the very back seat. The ride ops had push that lap bar to get the green light. If you sit where I stated you should fit. If I were you, I would hit Kinda Ka front seat as my first ride. Then I would hit El Toro as many times as possible before a line forms. After that ride Bizarro a few times until a line forms. Nitro will be your next objective. It's on the other side of the park, but it will have a short line early in the day. You'll probably get 2 or 3 rides in a half hour. Barman is right next to Nitro, so ride that next. The line will probably be long and this is the other coaster at Great Adventure that is not friendly to big guys. On Bizarro there is a seat for bigger guys, but not Barman, so good luck. I would save Superman and Green Lantern for the end of the day. The line seems to shrink on both coasters as the day goes on. All in all you're in for a great theme park experience. Have fun and good luck.
Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/28/12 10:15:37 PM
beastmaster said:

Jen covered pretty much everything, but I would add:

At opening, people don't really head for Toro..unless they're me :)

Kingda Ka's the record breaker, Green Lantern is the "new kid on the block" and Superman:Ultimate Flight gets long and stays long due to slow dispatches/operations/loading. Those three rides are a stone's throw from one another. If you get the FP early, work on those rides first..Toro's line rarely gets unmanageable as long as they run two trains.

Mike

Great tip. I'll keep that in mind for my elusive first ride on the bull. ;)

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 4/29/12 7:19:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Since I rode Chang and don't care for standup coasters, I had no plans to even bother with Green Lantern.

Nitro, KK, El Toro & Superman are the only MUST RIDES for me (Nitro the only one I've been on before). I've rode Medusa plenty of times and would take another spin if the lines were short. Same goes for others like Batman, RT, etc.

Interesting that you can get tickets for $30 outside the park, I thought the $42 online deal was good enough.

RE: Regular FP & GOLD FP - how much if a difference in wait times is there? All the SF site says is "a greater reduction" which is too vague for my brain. LOL

* This post was modified at 4/29/12 7:21:15 AM *

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/29/12 10:45:01 AM
Kevin_Page said:

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Since I rode Chang and don't care for standup coasters, I had no plans to even bother with Green Lantern.

Nitro, KK, El Toro & Superman are the only MUST RIDES for me (Nitro the only one I've been on before). I've rode Medusa plenty of times and would take another spin if the lines were short. Same goes for others like Batman, RT, etc.

Interesting that you can get tickets for $30 outside the park, I thought the $42 online deal was good enough.

RE: Regular FP & GOLD FP - how much if a difference in wait times is there? All the SF site says is "a greater reduction" which is too vague for my brain. LOL

The FP wait times vary. With the Gold the wait is usually around 15 minutes after you put in your next ride. With the regular it varies based on the actual wait but is always shorter than that. It can vary from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how busy the park is. Keep in mind that you can put in your next ride as soon as the FP is cleared when you are entering the queue. Therefore you will actually spend a good 15 minutes or so after you merge into the line until you ride. Then you have to walk to the next ride, stop at a rest room, get a bite to eat, etc so the wait times are usually not terrible. The only time the gold FP is a must are on weekends/extremely crowded days and the day you are going should not be one of them. I'd get the regular and see how it goes. The FP building is right in the middle of the park behind the fountain, near the dolphin stadium so if you need to upgrade you can do it while walking to the other side of the park (and you can just go to the window - you don't have to sit through the stupid video again)

Medusa is almost always a walk-on so don't even waste a FP slot for it - just go on it while you're waiting for KK, ET or the Log Flume on the FP to become available to ride.

Jen

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 4/29/12 11:20:08 AM
Jen,

Okay, you've sold me. I'm only used to the Disney FP system where you have to scan you ticket into a machine at each ride. Nice that I can queue up the next while while i'm standing in line for another one :)

And here's another anal pet peeve of mine. I usually like to get into a park and hit a few rides quickly before the line starts to build, this way I benefit by being the early bird and not standing in another line to get a device.

Any logic behind, hitting KK first (if open) or El Toro and getting in some rides before any lines, then while walking by the FP station get it then (say around 1 hour after park opening).

* This post was modified at 4/29/12 11:22:10 AM *

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/29/12 11:55:08 AM
^^^ There's 2 ways to look at that:

1. Yes, if you get to the rides early you will get right on a few of them - ET is notorious for multiple rides if you hit it first and go to the rear seats (for some strange reason everyone waits for the rows up front - causes a massive wall of people and you have to push through them to get to the back rows, which hardly have any wait and they are the best seats in the house - go figure). Even though KK is my FAVORITE ride in the park I never go on it early because it is so intense that I find it takes away from all the other rides I go on after it so I go on it last before I leave that side of the park. So you may get a few relatively short waits or multiple rides but then after the lines start to build you will have to walk back to the middle of the park and there will be a wait for the FP. You have to go in and watch a stupid video before you can purchase it. The line will build as the day goes on and you may end up waiting 30 - 45 minutes if you don't get it right away. They only let so many people in at a time to view the video.

2. You get the FP first - you will go right in with no wait (the building should be open around 10 - 10:15 am before the rides are) then head over to the coasters. You will still get right on (there will be virtually no wait even with the regular FP that early) and still have the opportunity to get in a few rides without having to break up your riding to trek back to get the FP and waste time waiting to go in. I'd opt for scenario #2. You don't want to be wasting a good chunk of time waiting for a FP.

Another word of advice - since Superman is a must ride for you that line get ridiculously long - even with a FP - so you may want to decide to hit that first before going to KK/ET but you have to weigh the perk of multiple rides on ET vs a short wait for S: UF. GL is also a ride that gets very long lines but since you have no interest save it for later in the day if you have time (which you probably will - that's a front row is best ride IMO as well). The lines for both KK and ET move very quickly as long as there are good teams running them. We were there opening day and the ET team was horrendous but I hear it's gotten better. KK always has the super speed ride-ops from hell (that's actually a compliment!) and they keep that line moving nicely. Oh, and wait for the front row on KK - worth every second but get sunglasses with straps because the wind will make your eyeballs fall out without glasses on ;~). Even with a full queue with a FP on KK it will only take about 15 minutes to ride a regular seat and about 25-30 min to wait for the front. The second row is acceptable as well if you don't want to wait for the first row. Nitro always the back row as well as Batman and Medusa - the problem with Medusa is since they switched it to Bizarro they have the hideous sound system in the rear car so the last row is only a 2 seater now, which is a problem if you want to ride all together.

And aside from my favorite delectable Mexican pastry - the Churro - I highly recommend stopping and getting an Italian ice at one of the stands - they are phenomenal!

Jen

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/29/12 12:06:07 PM
I just called the Wawa gas station and as of right now they do not have those $29.99 tickets available. They told me that they may have them later in the year, but they are not sure. They do have an abundance of extra Coke cans that gives you a buy one get one free admission. Here is their number 609-259-9878.
Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/29/12 4:42:46 PM
Jen, I might have to agree/disagree here. Now I'm speaking on my experience w/out the FP in 2008.*

When I went there I headed for KK 1st despite it being the most intense ride (of course ET being down made that decision much easier) because I knew there was no way in hell I would get a ride on that later in the day and didn't want to take a chance that it breaks down in the middle of the day.

After two rides each being b/w 30-45 min waits, I headed over to RT and then Medusa (which opened no sooner than 12pm) and made my way over to GASM (could've done a 2nd round on it, but was getting worried about S:UF). S:UF which was a 30 min wait and I didn't care much for a reride.

Eventually I made it to B:TR and Nitro. Nitro towards maybe 4-5pm was very manageable. I believe I got 3 rides within a 1 hr time frame. So, I think it is worth putting Nitro off for near the end as it's reliable enough to keep the lines moving at a reasonable pace.

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 4/29/12 4:51:27 PM
Just for curiosity sake, tell me if I'm correct:

- Kinda Ka is in the spot The Chiller used to be
- El Toro is where Viper used to be
- Superman is behind Batman (and in the Nitro area)
- Green Lantern is in the spot GASM used to be

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/29/12 5:42:03 PM
Kevin_Page said:

1. No, Dark Knight is where Chiller used to be. Kingda Ka is at the other end of the park.

2. Yes. Best trade ever :)

3. No. Superman and Batman are at opposite ends of the park.

4. Yes, exactly.

Mike

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/29/12 8:07:48 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Jen, I might have to agree/disagree here. Now I'm speaking on my experience w/out the FP in 2008.*

When I went there I headed for KK 1st despite it being the most intense ride (of course ET being down made that decision much easier) because I knew there was no way in hell I would get a ride on that later in the day and didn't want to take a chance that it breaks down in the middle of the day.

After two rides each being b/w 30-45 min waits, I headed over to RT and then Medusa (which opened no sooner than 12pm) and made my way over to GASM (could've done a 2nd round on it, but was getting worried about S:UF). S:UF which was a 30 min wait and I didn't care much for a reride.

Eventually I made it to B:TR and Nitro. Nitro towards maybe 4-5pm was very manageable. I believe I got 3 rides within a 1 hr time frame. So, I think it is worth putting Nitro off for near the end as it's reliable enough to keep the lines moving at a reasonable pace.

I was talking about getting a FP early vs later. It seems he definitely wants to get one which is why I suggested if you're going to get one, get it early. If you are unsure then I agree with you and see how the day goes but if it gets crowded you will wait a while to get into the FP building which will eat up valuable time.

And a 30 min wait for S:UF is really good - don't see that often. I never ride it anymore b/c as you know I hate flyers but that is usually one of the worst lines in the park due to capacity IMO. Although since GL has been there it's giving it a run for it's money in wait times. I agree with doing Nitro at the end - that's what I almost always do - It's the perfect way to end the day at the park.

Jen

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/29/12 8:11:52 PM
Kevin_Page said:

To clarify what Mike said: KK is in between the boardwalk area (GL and S:UF) and ET - called the Golden Kingdom. Superman is to the left of Green Lantern in the Boardwalk area all the way at the very end.

Here's a link to the park map:
http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/info/parkmap.aspx

Looks like Sky Screamer should be up and running when you go too!

Jen

Re: My 1st Great Adventure trip in 11 years - few questions by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/30/12 10:25:49 AM
I went to the park yesterday, a popular band was playing there and it was a Sunday.

I got there at "ribbon" which is when you can enter the park but each side is ribboned off until 10:30. If you get there for ribbon, then you will have a great day, regardless of how busy it is.

We went to Nitro and got 3 rides in 15 minutes. Whichever side you go to you will be able to knock out 2-3 rides on one coaster or multiple. It just makes your day more enjoyable to get on some rides bright and early with little or no wait, that way you might be able to wait it out later and save money by not getting the Flah Pass.

The park usually gets HEAVILy crowded at 1pm on weekends (idk why, but people show up late). If you have the money and want a flash pass I say get it after your first ride. If you are staying until close without a doubt, go ahead and invest in one.

Keep in mind weather takes a huge role in whether or not Kingda Ka will be open. Also from the gate of the park, Kingda KA is a hike, and it's secluded sort of. Batman and Nitro are together, Superman and Green Lantern are neighbors, Rolling Thunder and El Toro are together, and Bizarro (Medusa) is in the middle of no where.

If you get a souvenir bottle for soda/water all day it's cheapest to get 3 of em for $9.99 a pop, and refills are free for the day of purchase. Not sure if that's worth it for you but you wanna keep that in mind with drinks being $4 already. also there is a drink stand near the fountain in the middle of the park where you can combine different flavors and such which I love. It opens after 11 or so.

Good luck and have a blast and then tell us all about it!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.