Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend

Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
4/27/12 at
1:14:46 PM

I have a bad elbow now, so it's difficult to type a really long TR. But some stuff from last weekend.

I researched and found a route down to VA that almost eliminated tolls and really didn't alter my drive time.

Saturday, met my friends at the park. Bought a Platinum Pass, mainly to use the next day and a few trips to Dorney. Was charged 5 bucks less than I expected. Hit Volcano and Flight Of Fear first around 11, with 15-20 minute waits. Two excellent Intimidator circuits. Rode the woodies multiple times later. My physiology has slowed me down, and (I believe) as a result, the rides feel faster to me. Especially Grizzly. Looked down at Dinosaurs Alive. I wouldn't pay five cents, let alone five dollars. Dozed off during the way-too-long dino movie (3D) that replaced Spongebob. Found Windseeker rather pleasant, and enjoyed the great view of some full coaster layouts. Hit Dominator for three before leaving. Rode once, sat down, The boys were taking another ride, and Debby asked if I would. I actually said no, that I didn't think I could handle those stairs again. Then I decided I didn't like that Beastmaster...one that would turn down a ride on one of his favorites. I took two more rides. Golden Corral for dinner, back to Motel 6 Fredericksburg. Got a number of compliments on my Walking Dead t-shirt, which scared a little boy behind me on the Avalanche line.

Sunday morning, went to Mass and Waffle House for breakfast, then headed back south to KD. Was to meet Paul (alpengeistno3.) Rained the entire time we were at the park. but most rides were open, and we pretty much had the park to ourselves. It was a very raw, windy day, probably didn't get over 45 degrees. I took a FRONT seat ride on Dominator before I met Paul at Volcano. He came prepared..gloves, hooded jacket, and umbrella. It was truly nasty out. Had four or five rides each on Volcano and FOF with no wait. Very painful riding in the rain, being pelted in the face with rain on everything else. By the time we finished on Dominator, I had no feeling in my left hand and little in the right. I had missed the announcement that the park would close at two (the hearing, ya know) but Paul apprised me. For the 3.5 hours we were there, we had a blast and got a lot of riding in. I decided to stay over in Ashland, where I used to stay, and drive home Monday. So we hit Captain D's for a late lunch and parted ways.

It was good to see friends again and ride some of my favorites. And in case you're wondering, I-305 remains at the top of my steel list.

If there's anything I didn't cover that inquiring minds want to know, just ask :)

Thanks for reading.

Mike

* This post was modified at 4/27/12 2:58:37 PM *

Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/27/12 1:58:53 PM
Thanks for the TR, Mike. Glad you were able to log multiple rides without too long waits.

- Pat-O

Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/27/12 3:23:18 PM
Nice TR! I hope you get back into top form soon :)

So is intimidator-305 that amazing for you? How is the first drop now? I rode it with the trimms on the first drop and was so disappointed with it, but it was still a good ride.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/27/12 4:07:51 PM
mugen828 said:

Nice TR! I hope you get back into top form soon :)

So is intimidator-305 that amazing for you? How is the first drop now? I rode it with the trimms on the first drop and was so disappointed with it, but it was still a good ride.

I've never rode it trimmed, so I can't speak for the difference. The last hill seemed to be faster and offered more airtime than previously.

On a side note, I grayed out not only on Intimidator, but on Dominator, Anaconda, and even Avalanche..what's up with that?

Mike

Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/27/12 4:12:32 PM
Great TR Mike. We had Kings Dominion in our original plans this year, but due to work being slow over the mild winter, I now have to reevaluate our 2012 coaster trips.
Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/27/12 6:32:25 PM
That's what we need at SFGadv - if Paul is being pelted with rain maybe he'll inadvertently do "jazz hands" to block the rain on Nitro - LOL!

Glad you had fun!

Jen

Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by alpengeistno3 at 4/27/12 11:03:41 PM
If I may add on to Mike's Sunday report. I got to the park just after 10:30. I thought I would go by the Eiffel Tower this time in case the rope was still up, but there was no rope (and no one) in sight all the way to Volcano. As I walked in the station, I saw Mike already in the back row (amazing I had went the last 2 weekends with moderately decent weather and the back row was closed, but here on this rainy cold day, the full train was open?!?! Go figure.) We took 3 rides (had to walk around, which I am sure did not excite Mike in the least considering his previous days exercise).

We went on to Flight of Fear, also a walk-on. Mike actually got me to try various rows, only the back row, loading side being the short belt as Mike could barely get it buckled. After our 4th ride, the ride went down explained, so we went back out into the rain to ride Intimidator.

Let the record show that I was completely against this move!! 94 mph constant rain in the face was a less than pleasant experience. Jen, no jazz hands from me here either. I assumed the duck and cover position until the brake run. Fortunately, I know the ride well enough to lean with all the turns without having to look because my head was buried the whole ride. We rode twice before I could convince Mike that we had taken enough punishment.

As payback, I convinced Mike to ride Anaconda. It's not a bad ride, but there isn't anything really that good about it either. 2 times was enough for him.

We did Italian Job for one quick ride (I believe this is the only ride we had to wait 1 train for since they were only running 1.) We moved on to the Grove and Shockwave. Mike had forgotten how awkward the Togo shoulder restraints are to get into (nice have a simple B&M up there in Jersey.) We only took one ride.

Surprisingly, Drop Zone was open (usually one of the 1st rides to go down in nasty weather), but Windseeker was closed. Mike opted for a Triple Spin ride while I heard the announcement for the early closing come down. We quickly hustled to Rebel Yell, where they were literally waiting for riders, so we got the whole train to ourselves for the 1st run of 3. We did Grizzly for 3 straight circuits and headed back to the front of the park to try to do Scooby Doo (down, but Taxi Jam was open). We instead finished up with 3 rides on Dominator, one of those as the only ones on the train in the back row.

The park closed at 2:00 and we were sopping wet (I caught a nasty cold that I am still trying to get over in time to play at the Redskins Draft Party Saturday.) Nonetheless, it was a great day and I look forward to heading up North to Gradv and Dorney to hang out in his neck of the woods.

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/27/12 11:46:30 PM
beastmaster said:
On a side note, I grayed out not only on Intimidator, but on Dominator, Anaconda, and even Avalanche..what's up with that?

Mike

Simply said, Mike...we're getting old.

- Pat-O

Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/28/12 5:31:08 AM
LoneStar said:

beastmaster said:

Mike

Simply said, Mike...we're getting old.

- Pat-O

You're a teacher Pat-O...so you should recognize, that...in my case..you used the wrong verb. Actually, no verb is needed between "we're" and "old"..again, in MY case.

I was probably somewhat dehydrated, something I consciously try to avoid at parks nowadays.

Mike

Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/28/12 10:11:27 PM
Great tr. Sucks one day was a wash, but having the whole park for yourself is like heaven to me especially when the major coasters are still running. Good to know that I305 is doing well so far without the trims. I hope it stays that way for the rest of the season, especially thru August.
Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/30/12 8:16:39 AM
beastmaster said:

My physiology has slowed me down, and (I believe) as a result, the rides feel faster to me.

Yeah, getting older does that, I have found.
Which is why I look forward to introducing my grand children* to their very first rides on kiddie coasters...will feel to me like it feels to them!

* if I ever become a granddad, that is.

beastmaster said:
Looked down at Dinosaurs Alive. I wouldn't pay five cents, let alone five dollars.

I spent a leisurely 45 minutes walking through Dorney's this past Saturday. I was impressed, they have done a real good job with this. Nice animatronics and sound effects, which are not just dino specific. And all dinos are real size, not scaled down (one 30+ feet high, 90 feet long).

The attraction will vary depending upon the park, of course, as they use the natural habitat (does Allentown vegetation differ from Doswell? ;-) ), but I bet most everything else is the same, meaning quite nice.

Mike B.
Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/30/12 9:39:03 AM
MABrider said:
beastmaster said:
My physiology has slowed me down, and (I believe) as a result, the rides feel faster to me.

Yeah, getting older does that, I have found.

They don't seem any faster to me, but a lot of them seem to be much rougher. Maybe they actually are. Last time I remember having a fun, comfortable marathon on any coaster was RFII in 2010.

I spent a leisurely 45 minutes walking through Dorney's this past Saturday. I was impressed, they have done a real good job with this. Nice animatronics and sound effects, which are not just dino specific. And all dinos are real size, not scaled down (one 30+ feet high, 90 feet long).

The attraction will vary depending upon the park, of course, as they use the natural habitat (does Allentown vegetation differ from Doswell? ;-) ), but I bet most everything else is the same, meaning quite nice.

I finally got to the rear of KI last year. It was on the way home from a club event at CP. CP was cold and rainy and ERT was canceled... only got in two rides the entire day. But I stopped at KI on the way home and finally rode Windseeker (and never will again). Yuk. I still love Drop Zone.

But I digress. So anyway I was right there next to KI's Dino's and considered finally checking it out, but I'm not sure I could stay on my feet for 45 minutes. Hopefully they have some benches along the path for us old codgers. Maybe now that so many of the other CF parks have the Dino exhibits I'll get to check it out, as I'm guessing the others aren't as hilly as I suspect KI's might be.

Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/30/12 1:20:53 PM
RobLec said: So anyway I was right there next to KI's Dino's and considered finally checking it out, but I'm not sure I could stay on my feet for 45 minutes. Hopefully they have some benches along the path for us old codgers. Maybe now that so many of the other CF parks have the Dino exhibits I'll get to check it out, as I'm guessing the others aren't as hilly as I suspect KI's might be.

The 45 minutes was my time, Rob.
It is not a structured tour with a guide.
You could walk through in 5 minutes or sit on a (yes they have 'em) bench for 5 hours!

You are on your own while walking the one winding, flat pathway (is that way at Dorney, anyway). There are employees walking around offering to answer questions and all that, but again it is not a structured tour with a guide.

Mike B.
Re: Kings Dominion Notes..Last Weekend by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/30/12 1:30:16 PM
Off topic...

Eric, what triggers the italics to appear on a reply and then remain on in subsequent replies?

It appears to be when reply "with quote" is used at some point. As can be seen above in this thread.
I've seen it in other threads.

My reply prior to this one in this thread included "with quote" yet I couldn't turn off the italics.

This particular reply is not "with quote" and it appears italicized as well.

What am I missing?

* This post was modified at 4/30/12 1:30:58 PM *

Mike B.