Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time:

Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time:

meushar100

Posted:
4/25/12 at
11:20:43 AM

What would you say are the scariest 10 rides (thrill/ roller coasters) ever?
try to make a list of 10
discuss...

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 4/25/12 11:55:43 AM
My scariest ride hands down was the Orlando skyscaper Katanga, "wild version" with only one end loaded! YIKES!

Big Shot was a piece of cake by comparison.

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by drachen drachen Profile at 4/25/12 12:53:15 PM
The rides that have actually scared me the most the first time I rode it would be (in no particular order)

- Big Shot at Stratosphere in Las Vegas
- X-Scream at Stratosphere in Las Vegas
- Frankenstein's Castle at Indiana Beach - there is this one gag that scared the crap out of me.
- Haunted Mansion at Knoebels - that damn truck...
- Cyclone at Williams Grove - felt like it was going to fall apart
- Sling Shot ride at Dinosaur Beach in Wildwood - of the old school bungee variety.
- Ghost Ship at Morey's Piers - the best haunted walk-through that I've done

That's all I can think of at the time.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/25/12 1:28:25 PM
drachen said:

- Haunted Mansion at Knoebels - that damn truck...
- Ghost Ship at Morey's Piers - the best haunted walk-through that I've done

LOL at the truck! I'm with you there..great moment.

I gotta take that Wildwood "cruise" this summer...

Mike

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 4/25/12 2:33:54 PM
-Big Shot - Stratosphere
-an old rusty Zipper like the one at Trimpers in OC MD (not one of the "newer" models Chance made a few years back)
-Beast - URC Day at PKI 2000 - ERT at night - and the brakeless double helix
-all second and third generation Intamin freefall towers

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/25/12 4:43:35 PM
BigShotRoz said:

My scariest ride hands down was the Orlando skyscaper Katanga, "wild version" with only one end loaded! YIKES!

I never knew about that ride, it looks scary as hell! Is Katanga still there? I tried to find it to no avail (Congo River Golf on Intl' Drive I believe) There's like a kabillion CRG's in the Central FL area.

www.congoriver.com/orlando-i-drive-experience-the-congo-golf.html

www.youtube.com/watch?v=emV98s1FHiI

* This post was modified at 4/25/12 4:45:31 PM *

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/25/12 5:32:25 PM
Williams Grove Cyclone. So Scary *As in rickity* I rode it about fifteen times. Had Pop cans where the track gauge was wider than wheels on lift. Had cables running to trees on the lift. and just bounced the entire ride except for the new brake run that was replaced when a drunk employee after hours ran into it with a pickup truck.
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/25/12 6:59:22 PM
Dark Knight. Very scary to think of the millions they spent and time I wasted on that box.
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: *NM* by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/25/12 10:12:52 PM
^^^LMAO
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 4/26/12 2:25:33 AM
beastmaster said:

Dark Knight. Very scary to think of the millions they spent and time I wasted on that box.

All you SFGAdv fanboys really need to build a bridge and get over Dark Knight.

Four years later and the moaning continues...

=P

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/26/12 6:03:38 AM
Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:

=P

Joe
Great_Ump

It's my party and I'll moan if I want to.

And that's the first time I've ever been called a fanboy. Such a proud moment! I'd like to thank all the little people..Verne Troyer, Peter Dinklage, Billy Barty, etc..

And I'm not really clear on how I can be a GAdv "fanboy" when it's about my third or fourth favorite park (and yes, Jen, it's higher than Dorney..give me SOME credit!!!)

Mike

* This post was modified at 4/26/12 7:21:42 AM *

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 4/26/12 12:57:12 PM
beastmaster said:

Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:

=P

Joe
Great_Ump

And that's the first time I've ever been called a fanboy. Such a proud moment! I'd like to thank all the little people..Verne Troyer, Peter Dinklage, Billy Barty, etc..

And I'm not really clear on how I can be a GAdv "fanboy" when it's about my third or fourth favorite park (and yes, Jen, it's higher than Dorney..give me SOME credit!!!)

Mike

Simple.

People continue to moan about a four year ago installation that wasn't targeted for the coaster enthusiast population, was a tween coaster that the park needed, and didn't break any records.

Nothing personal.

It just annoys me to no end when people STILL complain about Dark Knight. It's not funny anymore. The humor in complaining about DK dried up about three years ago.

Install the Mouse in a box anywhere else in the chain and it'd be a welcome addition. The Philly/Jersey/NYC crowd has been so spoiled over the years with the biggest, the fastest, the steepest at this park and you get new coasters just about every other year.

Stop the moaning and be happy its there.

Oh, and Mike, for the fanboy comment, all you ever talk about is SFGAdv. =)

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/26/12 3:57:13 PM
BigShotRoz said:

Orlando skyscaper Katanga

Do you remember the days when enthusiasts couldn't shut up about Katanga, especially on the newsgroup rec.roller-coaster! I have to admit that I miss it as well, but it never lived up to the hype for me personally. Even tipping the operator I never got a ride as wild as some claimed they experienced.

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/26/12 4:12:46 PM
Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:

Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:

=P

Joe
Great_Ump

Mike

Simple.

People continue to moan about a four year ago installation that wasn't targeted for the coaster enthusiast population, was a tween coaster that the park needed, and didn't break any records.

Nothing personal.

It just annoys me to no end when people STILL complain about Dark Knight. It's not funny anymore. The humor in complaining about DK dried up about three years ago.

Install the Mouse in a box anywhere else in the chain and it'd be a welcome addition. The Philly/Jersey/NYC crowd has been so spoiled over the years with the biggest, the fastest, the steepest at this park and you get new coasters just about every other year.

Joe
Great_Ump

Joe, I don't think the criticism is unwarranted at all. Here's my take and experience.

First, I didn't keep up on TDK when it was built but we put SFGADV on our 2008 trip as it was one of the new as well as many improvements I've heard about the park. YES, THE PARK IMPROVED GREATLY OVER MY 2001 visit. Superman, Kingda Ka and Toro, The lions and the fact the park was beautified and all rides operating. HUGE IMPROVEMENT.

Enter TDK. Big ole well themed building, Pre show, Nice gags in the queue like the Mirror faces ect. Get on the ride itself and besides the cars, virtually no theme at all. In fact. ITS A MACK MOUSE IN A BOX. THAT WOULD BE JUST AS GOOD AS MACK MOUSE WITHOUT THE BOX.

Point being, Id expect THAT RIDE at Moreys or even SFGADV as a bigger ride in Kiddyland than advertised as a mouse coaster instead of the Over The top treatment at huge expense this thing got.

As someone living far away, Would you come to ride A mouse in a box at Holiday world?
THATS MY POINT.
Chuck, not saying it's a bad ride, but feel the whole thing is a letdown vs a simple mouse.

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/26/12 4:33:33 PM
Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:

Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:

=P

Joe
Great_Ump

Mike

Simple.

Nothing personal.

Joe
Great_Ump

I think being a "fanboy" and having the park as your home park are two different things. Things that can be hard to tell apart I guess, from the outside looking in. Of course someone will speak about the park they visit the most...the most!

I hate the Dark Knight, and it saddens me to have ridden what was in it's place before. That's my reason for the hate. I don't care what audience it was aimed at. It wouldn't matter what ride it was unless it offered more fun than the previous or close to it. I'm not bent out of shape about the Green Lantern because it's more fun than TGASM imo. I'd take the noise of B&R:TC and the Water Effect over B:TDK anyday! I absolutely loved the water effect.

I guess people have the right to complain about people complaining, just as much as I have a right to complain in the first place! ;P

Now leaving that discussion in the dust, to be on topic, the most dangerous ride I have ridden would be Cyclops at Mt. Olympus. As I got up the stairs and headed to the back I saw a sign that said something along the lines of: "18 years or older for back row". I watched the coaster and didn't think it looked very fast or anything, but man oh man...riding the back row on that, you have to hold on somewhat (on the first drop) to stay in the car!

The air time was almost "leaving the train and gonna die airtime". It was fun as hell, but goes to show that you should have your seat belt tightened to THE MAX if you see a ride with a sign saying minors can't ride in the back.

Are the stratosphere rides all that intense btw?

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by drachen drachen Profile at 4/26/12 6:49:02 PM
Great_Ump said:

Simple.

Nothing personal.

I don't think anyone is really complaining about the ride anymore. I think, at this point, that it's more of a running gag.

We all understand what Dark Knight is. I don't think it was a horrible addition to Great Adventure or Great America. I thought it was fun.

So, Mike and a few others don't like it, and think it was a waste of money on Six Flags' part. I'd imagine you'd feel similarly if the ride was built at Six Flags America in two years.

And, I don't think it's fair to say "Nothing personal" after you kinda' personally attack someone. It kinda' negates the whole "nothing personal" part. Just sayin'...

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/26/12 7:48:24 PM
Interesting that this was on Yahoo today as this thread was going on. Check out their Ka blurb...they were off by a year on the opening date. And I guess it may SOMETIMES get to 130mph, but it's always boasted 128. At least they got the height right. And El Toro is "rickety?" Okaaayyy...

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugged/america-5-scariest-roller-coasters-175426570.html

Mike

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/27/12 8:40:28 AM
I actually like that boxed-in mouse at SFGAdv.
I don't like the pre-show.
I like the silly camera at the top of the queue ramp that super-imposes a grotesque face upon you.
The ride experience for me is akin to other meeces just like it, and I like most of 'em...takes corners at good speeds, has some quick drops.
Being in a box with minimal light and effects makes it...different.
And enjoyable, for me.
I guess that makes me a fanboy of the mouse in a box.
:-)

That said, all meeces of that type ride (boxed or not) are not worth long waits, IMO.
That's the enthusiast talking.
;-)

Mike B.
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/27/12 12:48:47 PM
Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:

Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:

=P

Joe
Great_Ump

Mike

Simple.

Nothing personal.

Joe
Great_Ump

Well first of all I don't like Dark Knight, but my kids love it, so it does serve its purpose. Mike talks about Great Adventure a lot because he is there a lot. Mike has ridden nearly 300 coasters and visits parks that I never been to. I always enjoy reading his trip reports on those parks. Even when I go to a park that is new to me, Mike has probably been there and is helpful with info about that park. I am a Six Flags Great Adventure fan boy. I love the coaster collection and the park itself, which makes it my favorite park out of the 42 I've been to. Everyone has their own favorite park. I love to read trip reports, especially the ones from Great Adventure. I live 6 hours away, so I don't get to go every year. My home park is Kennywood and I am more critical of that park than anyone on this forum. Once I get started complaining about certain things at Kennywood I'm sure some of you find me annoying. It doesn't bother me when people are complaining about their home park. I think we tend to hold a higher standard for our home park and we are disappointed when that standard isn't met.

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/27/12 1:21:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words. But if you've been to 42 parks you're right about with me. And you've been to several I have not. So we all try to help each other out by sharing our experiences. That's what this community is all about. If someone is tired of me writing about GAdv, don't read it. If someone doesn't like me continuing to dis the Dark Knight, well, that's their prerogative.

Mike

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/27/12 1:43:15 PM
No problem Mike. This forum really provides useful information that is beneficial to me. When you, Jen, or Dion make a post, I can tell who posted it just by reading it, without looking at the name of the poster. All 3 of you have unique style of writing that is very entertaining to read. Paul, drachen, overbanked, and mugen also have that entertaining writing style. I love to read your humorous comments about Dark Knight. I laugh every time Jen starts to rant about Dorney. Paul's experience as a ride op is very informative. Keep posting guys. I enjoy it.
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/27/12 2:30:08 PM
frontrow said:

No problem Mike. This forum really provides useful information that is beneficial to me. When you, Jen, or Dion make a post, I can tell who posted it just by reading it, without looking at the name of the poster. All 3 of you have unique style of writing that is very entertaining to read. Paul, drachen, overbanked, and mugen also have that entertaining writing style. I love to read your humorous comments about Dark Knight. I laugh every time Jen starts to rant about Dorney. Paul's experience as a ride op is very informative. Keep posting guys. I enjoy it.

I agree 100%!! Thanks for the compliment as well! I tend to be a,"not so serious" writer, so thank you! I try and take nice pictures to make up for my lack luster writing haha.

I love reading everyone's TR's. It's what made me sign up myself!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by alpengeistno3 at 4/27/12 11:11:26 PM
Thanks for the shoutout, Frontrow. I didn't want to weigh in on the whole Dark Knight thing because my feeling regarding the ride should be well known by now. Considering that Skull Mountain is an equally unflattering indoor coaster less than 1000 feet from DK, it is safe to say adding DK was redundant at Gradv.

Those of you who like it are welcome to, but I still, and will always, think it was a bad move for Gradv that would have fit better at almost any other park in the chain.

Paul

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/28/12 10:29:51 PM
drachen said:

Great_Ump said:

Simple.

Nothing personal.

I don't think anyone is really complaining about the ride anymore. I think, at this point, that it's more of a running gag.

We all understand what Dark Knight is. I don't think it was a horrible addition to Great Adventure or Great America. I thought it was fun.

So, Mike and a few others don't like it, and think it was a waste of money on Six Flags' part. I'd imagine you'd feel similarly if the ride was built at Six Flags America in two years.

And, I don't think it's fair to say "Nothing personal" after you kinda' personally attack someone. It kinda' negates the whole "nothing personal" part. Just sayin'...

I totally agree, and I think everyone said what needed to be said about it, so I won't put my 2 cents about it.

As for me, it has to be the backrow of the Coney Island Cyclone (before the first drop changes). I'm normally not a wood coaster fan, but never have I ever held on to the grab bar as tightly as I did on that ride. Holy crap, I swear, I felt like I would've been tossed out of the car. I would've sworn off that back row forever had they not changed the drop, but I might give it one more try on my next trip back.

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/3/12 6:35:18 PM
Ooh, good topic. One caveat I want to make - I'm a huge wimp when it comes to Halloween/horror attractions. I'm going to assume we're talking about rides that make you nervous for physical/psychological reasons, and not attractions that want to make you mess yourself because someone jumped at you in the dark. Jerks.

With that in mind, here are some of the rides I've found to be most intimidating over the years:
- Stuntman’s Freefall - first freefall experience blew my mind
- B&R: The Chiller (SFGAdv) - my first launch coaster, and one that taunts you with an in-station launch
- Acrophobia (SFOG) - nothing below your dangling feet but almost 200 feet of air.
- X (SFMM) – all about unpredictability. Someday I’ll have it figured out
- TTD (CP) - a serious upgrade in the launch department had my pulse going
- Tatsu (SFMM) - so freaking exposed during that lift. The rest of the ride is a dream
- Dadonpa (Fuji-Q) - my usual launch anxiety plus S&S trepidation

Most of my fears these days come from anticipation of getting knocked around. (See Roller Coaster at NY, NY Casino, Desperado, Pepsi Max, etc.)

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/3/12 8:07:49 PM
sarki7 said:

Most of my fears these days come from anticipation of getting knocked around. (See Roller Coaster at NY, NY Casino, Desperado, Pepsi Max, etc.)

I've never been on any of those three. Are they really as rough as their reputations would lead one to believe?

Mike

Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 5/3/12 9:41:06 PM
beastmaster said:

I've never been on any of those three. Are they really as rough as their reputations would lead one to believe?

Mike

In my opinion, not entirely, but keep in mind I expected the absolute worst from each of them. If you've gotten knocked around on some old Arrows or the occasional TOGO, you should have a general idea of what to expect. They are rough, no doubt about it, but I don't consider any of them the roughest coaster I've been on - that honor belongs to the now-defunct Viper at SFGAdv.

They've all got just a pretty consistent jostle to them. Pepsi Max's first drop is harrowing when sitting in the back, and all of Desperado was violent in the last row. Up front, I actually found them both to be bearable, if only just - and found myself enjoying the heck out of them. Just stay towards the front. Roller Coaster at NY, NY never had any moments of outright agony, but was consistently uncomfortable to me, and the layout never offered anything redeeming in my eyes. It's certainly the dud of the three as far as I'm concerned.

For a more thorough review of each, feel free to check out my TR's of Vegas and Blackpool - assuming you've got some time you're looking to kill. :}
Blackpool Pleasure Beach - http://www.gregscoasterphotos.com/10_10_31_bpb.asp
Coasters of Vegas - http://www.gregscoasterphotos.com/LV_TR.asp

* This post was modified at 5/3/12 9:43:24 PM *

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: Top 10 scariest rides/ attractions of all time: by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/4/12 3:42:28 AM
beastmaster said:

sarki7 said:

Mike

I rode the NYNY coaster and as rough as it was, it wasn't as terrible as people are making it out to be. Maybe not some thing to ride multiple times in a row, but I guess the trick is to brace yourself on the inversion portions like with the Intamin or Arrow coasters.