Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Alabama's Adventure closing

Alabama's Adventure closing

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
4/22/12 at
1:14:20 PM

I went to Alabama's Adventure's web site to plan a visit this summer in my travels home from work. The only thing that came up was the water park. After further research, I discovered the new owners have decided to invest over a million dollars into the water park and close the theme park. This is very disturbing. Not only was Rampage in my top 10 to do list, but I was planning on making it a priority this summer.
In late May of 2005 we spent the weekend at Talladega for the NASCAR races. I called Alabama's Adventure to find out their hours of operation that weekend. We were going to spend at least one evening at the park. To my surprise I was told that the park would not be open that weekend. I couldn't believe it. You have 180,000 people in near by Talladega and you're not going to open your park.
In June of 2010 we did a coaster trip with Alabama's Adventure originally on the schedule. We hit Carowinds, then Six Flags Over Georgia. The next park was supposed to be Alabama's Adventure. The kids wanted to hit Dollywood instead, so we rerouted the trip. At the time it wasn't a big deal, and Dollywood was on the way home, so it did make sense.
Unless these new owners change their minds, it looks as if my opportunity to ride Rampage is gone. I have never seen an Alabama's Adventure trip report on here. Has anyone visited the park and how good was Rampage?

Re: Alabama's Adventure closing by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 4/22/12 5:26:11 PM
Rampage was an awesome coaster!! I been there twice!! They also had great bumper cars! The best I was ever on!! Besides that the dry part of the park had nothing else but it is ashame that you wont get to go on Rampage.They are selling it though so hopefully you will still get that chance.
Re: Alabama's Adventure closing by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/22/12 11:01:18 PM
Thanks for the info Dion. The only question now is who is going to buy it? It seems steel coaster transplanting is common these days, but it is less common with wooden coasters. I could tell by the you tube videos that I really would have liked Rampage. You know how it is, you can only get to so many parks a year. In my case money usually determines how many parks I get to. In the last 3 seasons I have been to 21 different parks, so I really can't complain. Like I said before you can't ever get caught up. I still haven't ridden Prowler, America Thunder, Boardwalk Bullet, or The Comet at Great Escape. In 2012 there are 5 steel coasters being built that are now on my list. I have to pick and choose which ones to get to. Anyway, hopefully Rampage will be saved and I'll get to ride it one day.
Re: Alabama's Adventure closing by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 4/26/12 5:47:49 PM
This is a bit of a bummer, but to me the most telling thing is how not surprised I was to hear it. After a few visits in the mid-2000s (when I lived in Atlanta), it was plain to see that it really wasn't finding its stride as a full-fledged amusement park. Save for Rampage (an absolute GEM!), it had the feeling of a county fair, in terms of the attractions, the staff, and the grounds. Safety (both ride-related and clientele-related) always seemed like it was hanging off a ledge. To be honest, I'm surprised there were no major incidents.

It was a fun place to visit, but seeing GASM hit the scrap heap a couple years back was personally more painful.

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!
Re: Alabama's Adventure closing by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/26/12 6:34:12 PM
Unfortunately Rampage is gonna be a challenge to move somewhere else, because is such a precisely built coaster that fits to the hilly terrain there, I'll be surprised if it relocates somewhere else. I love the ride experience, it has a lil' bit of everything; Positive-G's, airtime, and laterals.

* This post was modified at 4/26/12 6:36:40 PM *

Re: Alabama's Adventure closing by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 4/26/12 6:48:58 PM
Definitely - I'm having a hard time of thinking of more than a couple wooden coasters that have gotten resurrected, Phoenix, GE Comet. The terrain makes it all but impossible.

I guess that's the real tragedy (after people losing employment, of course). Rampage was phenomenal, safely in my top ten (#6). Kind of a crap-fest to deal with to get a ride, but undoubtedly worth it.

* This post was modified at 4/26/12 6:49:34 PM *

Re: Alabama's Adventure closing by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 4/28/12 2:32:10 PM
It's a loss to lose any park whether it was a good park or what appears to be lackluster in Alabama Adventure's case.

I don't see the loss of Rampage as big a deal as some have made it. It is, after all, a clone of Megafobia at Oakwood Park in England, so any park could snatch up the plans and build another copy elsewhere without having to go through expensive alterations due to the hilly terrain the current ride sits on.

On a side note I didn't realize Birmingham was that close to Atlanta when I was down that way last June. If I would have known that I would have checked the park out for the Rampage credit.

G-Dog

* This post was modified at 4/28/12 2:33:43 PM *

Re: Alabama's Adventure closing by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 4/28/12 3:03:08 PM
Geauga_Dog said:

I don't see the loss of Rampage as big a deal as some have made it. It is, after all, a clone of Megafobia at Oakwood Park in England, so any park could snatch up the plans and build another copy elsewhere without having to go through expensive alterations due to the hilly terrain the current ride sits on.

On a side note I didn't realize Birmingham was that close to Atlanta when I was down that way last June. If I would have known that I would have checked the park out for the Rampage credit.

G-Dog

I can only imagine that a ride on Rampage would have you seeing it as a pretty big loss. It's a phenomenal ride (or, at least, was in the mid-2000s when I last rode), and seeing phenomenal rides close is unfortunate, regardless of if they be cloned or not.

While the similarities are obvious, I don't know how Rampage could be a true "clone" of Megafobia when it's over 500 feet longer, 35 feet taller, and and goes almost 10 mph faster. Built in the same vain, sure, but not literally built from the same plans. Regardless, the hope of another similar ride is not nearly as fun as having been able to ride Rampage. Plenty of great wooden coasters can be built, definitely don't want to lose the ones we have.

Yup, it's a pretty easy 2 hour ride from Atlanta. Was definitely worth the trip.

* This post was modified at 4/28/12 3:19:42 PM *

Re: Alabama's Adventure closing by stealthbandit11 at 3/15/14 1:30:19 PM
The Koch family just bought "Splash Adventure" and today announced a 5 year plan to re-establish the non-water park side and reopen "Alabama Adventure" as a second gate. The Rampage will be rehabbed and reopened as the initial focal point of the park. No specific timeline for the coasters or the parks reopening was given.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2014/03/koch_family_has_five-year_plan.html#incart_2box

Koch Family has 5-year plan for Splash Adventure

Re: Alabama's Adventure closing by drachen drachen Profile at 3/15/14 2:59:26 PM
stealthbandit11 said:

The Koch family just bought "Splash Adventure" and today announced a 5 year plan to re-establish the non-water park side and reopen "Alabama Adventure" as a second gate. The Rampage will be rehabbed and reopened as the initial focal point of the park. No specific timeline for the coasters or the parks reopening was given.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2014/03/koch_family_has_five-year_plan.html#incart_2box

That is all such good news. I had my concerns about that place.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur