Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life

Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
4/21/12 at
12:13:37 AM

We already know about SFoT's and SFStL's Mr. Freeze coasters getting the reverse treatment this year. But there are two (or three) other Premier launched coasters that are in the news...

Speed: The Ride is coming down, just as everyone feared. The good news? It's probably going right back up... in Las Vegas.

It looks as if plans are coming together for a new shopping/entertainment area on the south end of the Strip, across the street from Mandalay Bay. It's signature attraction looks to be a modified Speed: The Ride roller coaster.

Premier will be adding new track, making the ride experience different. But the main elements will remain the same. Great news. Here is a link to the plans:

http://www.breslinbuilders.com/blog/2011/12/akita-retail-and-events-center-to-get-a-roller-coaster/

Additionally, Batmand and Robin: The Chiller is on the move to. My source tells me that it is not on the move to a scrap yard, but that it will ride again. No word on where just yet. I think this is fabulous news.

Screamscape mentions it here:

http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_adventure.htm

Combine that with the new coaster at SFDK and the new trains on Goliath at SFNE, then I'd say it's a pretty good year for Premier Rides.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/21/12 12:30:35 AM
drachen said:

Additionally, Batmand and Robin: The Chiller is on the move to. My source tells me that it is not on the move to a scrap yard, but that it will ride again. No word on where just yet. I think this is fabulous news.

Screamscape mentions it here:

http://screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_adventure.htm

YAY!!!! I knew it wasn't scrapped - it didn't make any sense once it said it was sold. You have made me a VERY happy girl! Where ever it goes I will be there. It was my first launch coaster and you know, you never forget your first! ;~)

Jen

Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/21/12 2:16:35 AM
Those are wonderful news. I always hoped that B&R the chiller could be reworked given the advances in technology.

As for Speed the ride, that's awesome news and new tracks? That's even more awesome. I missed out on my chance to ride it, but if it stays in the Las Vegas area, then I'm totally going to visit that on my next trip.

Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 4/21/12 11:07:41 AM
GoYanks34 said:

YAY!!!! I knew it wasn't scrapped - it didn't make any sense once it said it was sold. You have made me a VERY happy girl! Where ever it goes I will be there. It was my first launch coaster and you know, you never forget your first! ;~)

Jen

Even if it were to go to say.....Dorney? ;)

Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/21/12 11:22:13 AM
Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Even if it were to go to say.....Dorney? ;)

That's a really mean thing to say Josh! I can't believe you rained on my parade like that, I thought you were a nice guy! 8~)

Jen

Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 4/21/12 12:55:52 PM
I am. Just with a side of evil on occasion. :P
Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 4/24/12 12:29:06 PM
Does that mean I can count it gain when I ride it? I know I would if I return to Las Vegas.

Regards,
Kevin "count it twice" Reid

Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by drachen drachen Profile at 4/24/12 1:28:08 PM
KevinReid said:

Does that mean I can count it gain when I ride it? I know I would if I return to Las Vegas.

Regards,

I know you ask that partially in jest, but I think I might count this one as two different rides. It depends on how it turns out.

I typically count nothing twice, with the exception of dual track coasters. If I did count Speed twice, it would not be be because it was relocated, but because I felt that it was altered enough from the original, that it became a different ride.

But even that would be hard for me to do. I'd know for sure after I rode it.

I rode Drachen Fire before and after the fourth inversion was removed. Even though I'm sure there are some who have done the same and counted it twice, I do not.

I have not ridden Son of Beast, but if I had ridden both versions, I would not count it twice.

Heck, I'm sure there are even people who would ride the re-profiled Coney Island Cyclone and count it as a different ride...

Now, had I ridden the old and new Texas Giant, I would count them as two different rides. They are certainly different enough...

* This post was modified at 4/24/12 1:39:17 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/24/12 8:25:19 PM
KevinReid said:

Regards,

NO! Stop it! (LOL)
I believe we had this discussion in detail not that long ago and the consensus was fairly split. I do not count coasters I have already ridden if I rode them at another park unless there were modifications done (and painting does not count!). Others count them twice if it was sunny out the first ride and drizzling the the next due to the different ride experience. :~)

Jen

Jen
Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/24/12 11:01:46 PM
GoYanks34 said:

KevinReid said:

Regards,

Others count them twice if it was sunny out the first ride and drizzling the the next due to the different ride experience. :~)

Jen

C'mon..even I wouldn't do THAT! ;)

Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/25/12 12:24:22 AM
I guess we are going back to coaster count criteria again. Well for me I would count both sides of Rebel yell as individual coasters.
Clones, tough call. For B:TR and S:UF, I'd count them separately. Wild Mouse and Boomberangs, not too sure. But if a park has 2 wild mouse (Disney's Animal Kingdom), then I'll count just 1.

If a coaster was moved from one park to another, it is still the same coaster (Chang = Green Lantern).

If a coaster had significant track changes (Phantom and Phantom's revenge) that makes it a totally different ride, I might consider it a new ride.

For the cyclone at Coney Island, I would consider it the same ride as they only modified part of it, but overall it's still the same. Maybe I'd add an * to denote riding the coaster before and after the change, but counting it just once.

Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 4/25/12 1:54:28 AM
KevinReid said:

Regards,

Depends which other sites you post on...

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/25/12 2:56:45 PM
Premier is doing the trains for Goliath?

- Pat- o

Re: Premier Launched Coasters Getting New Leases on Life by sarki7 sarki7 Profile at 4/26/12 7:00:12 PM
Speed (or whatever it ends up getting called, e.g., Strip Mall: The Ride) is slowly becoming one of my hardest to acquire coasters. Sure, there are plenty better in the US I haven't ridden (almost everything in the central, mountain time zones), but this one is going to elude me yet again. I finally made my first Vegas visit (at 30 years of age) last Oct., and its fate was unclear. I'm scheduled for Vegas visit #2 this Aug., and thrilled that it's being saved, but will miss it by several months (at least) again. Sure, Vegas is an easy place to get to, but I'm the kind of person who doesn't go unless he has to.

Whatever, it took me 13 years to finally get on Volcano. Someday...someday...

* This post was modified at 4/26/12 7:03:04 PM *

Coaster Count: 331 (268/63)
Favorite Steel, Wood: Montu, Thunderhead
www.gregscoasterphotos.com ← Go there! It's good!